Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Greggy posted:

I've always wondered this about fan fiction too. At least that a person can make on their own though, trying to get other people to help you make your love letter to fictional characters must be tough.

In ways, fanfiction can be easier writing in that you've already got setting, characters, etc. to work with, and can use it to explore all sorts of angles of the original work, I.E. "what if [major event] happened differently, if at all?"

Granted, there's all of the drawbacks that come with it, like mega-fans who fetishize characters to the point of being unrecognizable and :barf:-inducing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

WebDog posted:

"Oh we're doing a short film about Stormtroopers who act like they're on C.O.P.S.".

How was this not funded by Lucas years ago?! Million dollar cable TV show right there.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So we all knew this was coming from the getgo;

http://gamingtrend.com/2013/08/01/susan-wilson-offers-to-sell-her-kickstarter-strategy/

Not only did she miss the release date, with not much more than a "Oops, here is some art-work created by someone else, all rights reserved!"

An exerpt from her own crowd funding site https://www.fundher.com

"In just 2 days I helped my 9 year old daughter raise over $20,000 on Kickstarter to build her first computer game. I'd like to share with a select few of you exactly what we did and how you can create similar results BUT ideally even better results!

I'm limiting the information to 100 people because if everyone knew, it wouldn't work. So HURRY and BE 1 of ONLY 100 women to know exactly what we did & how you can do the same thing NOW!"

:allears:

Blue On Blue has a new favorite as of 07:36 on Aug 25, 2013

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I'd think it to be highly fitting if all that was written in said book was "Step 1: Find idiots on the Internet willing to pay for something without thinking about it."

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Sappo569 posted:

So we all knew this was coming from the getgo;

http://gamingtrend.com/2013/08/01/susan-wilson-offers-to-sell-her-kickstarter-strategy/

Not only did she miss the release date, with not much more than a "Oops, here is some art-work created by someone else, all rights reserved!"

But now she is selling a limited edition 100 copies of her (seriously this is all for my daughter guys!) strategy guide to bilking the internet

I expected a bunch of poo poo for the game, and numerous missed release dates... but this is a deeper hole than I thought she'd dig. Besides, what is there to say?

Do the whole project yourself on behalf of a child who is so into X Y Z things and it is a gender issue with men saying she can't. Spam the project to everyone you possibly can, every chance you get. Hide behind the child at any criticism.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Regalingualius posted:

I'd think it to be highly fitting if all that was written in said book was "Step 1: Find idiots on the Internet willing to pay for something without thinking about it."

I am reminded of an old FoxTrot strip:
http://www.gocomics.com/foxtrotclassics/2010/07/15

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

If she had been honest from the start, instead of trying to force her daughter into the spotlight as a figure-head, she might not get near as much flak now.

But it is all coming to the surface now as she tries to exploit every angle possible, it really is brilliant planning.

As Elissia said, if anyone speaks badly or gives critisism she simply uses 'Kenzie as a shield

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

How was this not funded by Lucas years ago?! Million dollar cable TV show right there.

Do you... do you not know that was probably the first "major" fan film to get anyone's attention, or am I just misreading your post?

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Sappo569 posted:

If she had been honest from the start, instead of trying to force her daughter into the spotlight as a figure-head, she might not get near as much flak now.
If she had been honest from the start, she would not have gotten any money, because most people will not throw money at a pitch that says "I am a terrible, greedy, human being who is blatantly exploiting her children for profit and playing on gender conflicts in order to bilk idiots out of their hard-earned cash." The secret to being a good scam artist is not honesty. Go figure.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BiggerJ posted:

What about getting permission to film on private property?

There was a guy who made a fan film called Grayson a few years ago about Robin trying to avenge Batman's death and he also uploaded some Grayson: The Making Of videos which are hilarious. He usually just rocked up to locations and filmed without permission and to get all the shots he needed for the funeral scene he had to sneak his cast and crew into three different cemeteries. There's one scene where Robin runs through a crowded city street so he just chucked his cameraman in a car, got into costume and started running through the city.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Regalingualius posted:

"You'll need around 100."

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DeepDickPizza posted:

If she had been honest from the start, she would not have gotten any money, because most people will not throw money at a pitch that says "I am a terrible, greedy, human being who is blatantly exploiting her children for profit and playing on gender conflicts in order to bilk idiots out of their hard-earned cash." The secret to being a good scam artist is not honesty. Go figure.

You're right, but I am trying to hold back my absolute hatred for the woman.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Sappo569 posted:

You're right, but I am trying to hold back my absolute hatred for the woman.

Would people hate her so much if she wasn't a woman? She came up with a dodgy Kickstarter, she didn't kill anyone.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Count Chocula posted:

Would people hate her so much if she wasn't a woman? She came up with a dodgy Kickstarter, she didn't kill anyone.

I don't think anyone hates her because she's a woman, or at least nobody worth listening to. They hate her because she's wealthy enough to send her daughter to game camp without the Kickstarter, and because she's psychologically abusing her children for money.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

I believe you're downplaying her deplorable nature.

She exploited her children for financial gain, and continues to do so, that goes past dodgy.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Count Chocula posted:

Also, gently caress you for trying to dredge that poo poo out of nowhere in the first place.

In local news, Blood Child. A story of murder, incest and power with just a hint of vampirism.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Count Chocula posted:

She's exploiting her gender (and that of her daughter), I don't think a man would have been able to do a comparable campaign

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fatkraken posted:

She's exploiting her gender (and that of her daughter)

... and that got people mad, but all that extra attention helped the project succeed, and that made the mad people much much madder, and all that extra attention helped the project become super successful, and so on and so forth. It's all been blown crazily out of proportion and it received way more attention than it ever should have. I suspect that the fact that the other controversial Kickstarter about women in gaming (which must not be named in this thread) was so fresh in everyone's minds may have also played a large influence on some people's reactions, certainly the reactions of the people who jumped in to defend it and sponsor the project to nearly 3000% of the goal.

It's a big dumb overblown mess.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 13:24 on Aug 25, 2013

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Don't talk about things and they'll go away. Oh poo poo, I mentioned a thing in this post! I can feel the money draining from my wallet, no!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Actually I just checked the Kicktraq listing for the donations per day on the project and it looks like pretty much the majority of the funds came in on the 2nd and 3rd day of the project and even though there was media attention and a pretty big debate raging around it from that point on the donations almost completely flatlined after that point (apart from an apparent joke donation of abou $10k which was removed the day after). It looks like the majority of donations came in before the backlash started and the extra attention didn't bring in any extra cash. I was wrong.

How the gently caress did this awful project get almost 3000% funded on it's merits????

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011
The goofy marshmallow project got almost 200% funding.

In other news, It's been more than a month since Piro gave an update on the Megatokyo VN. He's managed to do two commissions at least, one of MLP where he commented "Drawing ponies is not easy". Best of luck to Fred and everyone involved!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

On the other side of the coin, I just checked out her other kickstarter... which flopped spectacularly.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/susanwilson/the-cape-project?ref=users

She tried to exploit the Military Veteran angle this time, while trying to fund her kids comic book store.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Video earrings are exactly what you would expect: tiny screens that play prerecorded videos that you can wear as earrings.

Say Something, the iPhone dating application. Roleplay dates on the internet, because you're not experienced enough yet for real dating!

Sharkpony and the Glitter Riders. I don't know how to describe this, but it features four guys who get turned into magical girls and one shark pony. Pledge now for a guest spot in the comic where you get eaten by the sharkpony.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zybourne Clock posted:

Sharkpony and the Glitter Riders. I don't know how to describe this, but it features four guys who get turned into magical girls and one shark pony. Pledge now for a guest spot in the comic where you get eaten by the sharkpony.

They're failing badly but it's flexible funding so even though there's no way they'll get the $2500 they were going to put towards the artist page rate they're going to have to finish the entire comic just so they can send pdfs or hard copies (and one printed mug) to a half dozen people. Hilariously they initially miscalculated the postage rates and raised the pledge prices a few days into the campaign but they promised to fulfill all the pledges they already had, so most of their pledges are currently $5 or $10 short. Not only are they not going to get any money for the time it'll take them to complete the project, it looks like they'll be making a loss on each issue they get printed.

What a gently caress up.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Do you... do you not know that was probably the first "major" fan film to get anyone's attention, or am I just misreading your post?

Now maybe I'm the one misreading your post, are you saying Lucas funded it? Because THAT I didn't know and would be even more awesome.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Now maybe I'm the one misreading your post, are you saying Lucas funded it? Because THAT I didn't know and would be even more awesome.

I think Syrg Sapphire misread your post. Oh and although Lucas didn't fhave anything to do with the fan film (although I heard somewhere that he gave an unofficial go ahead to show it at conventions as long as they never got any money for it) the creator Kevin Rubio did get gigs writing a licenced SW comic for Dark Horse and working on the The Clone Wars TV show as a result.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 16:09 on Aug 25, 2013

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They're failing badly but it's flexible funding so even though there's no way they'll get the $2500 they were going to put towards the artist page rate they're going to have to finish the entire comic just so they can send pdfs or hard copies (and one printed mug) to a half dozen people. Hilariously they initially miscalculated the postage rates and raised the pledge prices a few days into the campaign but they promised to fulfill all the pledges they already had, so most of their pledges are currently $5 or $10 short. Not only are they not going to get any money for the time it'll take them to complete the project, it looks like they'll be making a loss on each issue they get printed.

What a gently caress up.

This all assumes they don't take the money and run, though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Regalingualius posted:

This all assumes they don't take the money and run, though.

How dare you malign the 'Sharkpony and the Glitter Riders' brand. <:mad:>

They're going to have to cancel it before it reaches the deadline, there's just no benefit to them in seeing it through. The amount of money which has been pledged isn't even worth the hassle of stealing.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 16:31 on Aug 25, 2013

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Hell, that gets me thinking: Why hasn't someone made a boardgame called "Take the Money and Run"? This could be prime Kickstarter material, guys! :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Regalingualius posted:

Hell, that gets me thinking: Why hasn't someone made a boardgame called "Take the Money and Run"? This could be prime Kickstarter material, guys! :v:

Holy poo poo
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/take-the-money-board-game

quote:

"Take The Money", its more than a board game

Hi my name is Ernest Harris. I am a computer programmer, music producer, graphic designer, and game designer from Atlanta Georgia. I grew up in a area of Atlanta called the BLUFF.

If you are a Netflix subscriber, you might have seen the indie film "Snow on the Bluff", if you did not, its worth the time to watch it. It touched on a dynamic of my neighborhood but no matter how honest it was, it only the tip of the iceberg.

I have been working on a board game which is part Grand Theft Auto, Part Snow on the Bluff, and 100 percent real. Many people listen to hip hop music, and watch a few movies but unless you really lived in the ghetto and worked you way out, you will have no idea whats its all about.

This is the board game of board games.

He has a $25 pledge tier and a $100 pledge tier. The rewards for both are bonus game cards, there's never any mention of getting the board game itself.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

How the gently caress did this awful project get almost 3000% funded on it's merits????

Why do you hate women in gaming? :smug:

Also Critical Hit: A Dungeon and Dragons Adventure

quote:

Isn't 10,000 a little short for a feature?
To some yes, to others its too much. If I was going into this project blind with no idea of who to contact, who to work with or even where to begin, I'd say, yes... the budget needs to be bigger. However from experience of making Critical Hit this thankfully does not have to be the case!

What will happen after it's made?
Simple! we release it! We'll be shipping it to every film festival possible and at the same time releasing it to the people who donated 20 pounds or more! soon after the film has made its festival run we will release it straight to DVD, unless anyone wishes to pick up the film at a festival (fingers crossed!)

All the film festivals will want to play a D&D film since there aren't enough quality indie flicks out there :allears:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Fatkraken posted:

She's exploiting her gender (and that of her daughter), I don't think a man would have been able to do a comparable campaign

He probably could have, the difference is that Men's Rights people are literal, SPLC-recognized hate groups while women actually are systematically discriminated against and disadvantaged in society as a whole.

Also if a dad had jokingly declared that he was making his daughters publically apologize to his son for teasing him over liking something feminine you'd have a lot less childless 20-something goons/parenting experts hyperbolically declaring it psychological abuse.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

monster on a stick posted:

Why do you hate women in gaming? :smug:

monster on a stick posted:

All the film festivals will want to play a D&D film since there aren't enough quality indie flicks out there :allears:

Watched a painful Shark Tank yesterday (don't know air date) where these guys asked for 5 MIL for 34% of their movie about motorcycle racing.

Pitch consisted of hot track girl giving them popcorn, so they could watch a high-school quality title video with words rushing around, whooshing, etc. No pictures. As pitch gets eviscerated by sharks, we learn they have no script, no story, and virtually no film experience. Plus one of the guys is so nervous he stammers, has moments of silence, and has to be bailed out by his partner.

Seriously painful to watch.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Count Chocula posted:

Are you unable to tell the difference between critical thinking and concern/trolling, or do you deliberately conflate the two because that makes it easier for your confirmation bias?

Steampunk iPhone
Sep 2, 2009

by XyloJW

Count Chocula posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure "send my son to camp for men's rights" would have gone over badly too.

Here's something weird from Indiegogo: a social network based on sharing your health records. I can't see any way this wouldn't end badly.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

a million birds posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure "send my son to camp for men's rights" would have gone over badly too.

Here's something weird from Indiegogo: a social network based on sharing your health records. I can't see any way this wouldn't end badly.

Why do people make projects that just straight up fly in the face of massively important rules and regulations? They might as well make a social network centered around insider trading.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Dogdoo 8 posted:

The goofy marshmallow project got almost 200% funding.

In other news, It's been more than a month since Piro gave an update on the Megatokyo VN. He's managed to do two commissions at least, one of MLP where he commented "Drawing ponies is not easy". Best of luck to Fred and everyone involved!

I dig that marshmallow one, it's pretty cute.

On a lark I clicked his MT VN page, thinking it'd have more current updates. Hah, nope. Hope these backers are ready to settle in for more of what Fred does best; delay, whine, delay, and then halfass his obligations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Holy poo poo
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/take-the-money-board-game

He has a $25 pledge tier and a $100 pledge tier. The rewards for both are bonus game cards, there's never any mention of getting the board game itself.

:stare:

...I was just joking. I didn't seriously expect someone would make a game like that. Gotta love that irrelevant rambling about... Whatever the hell it is he's going on about. And gotta love gratuitous nudity on the cover image!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

No, no, looks like I was in the wrong, I thought you were just going "well why HASN'T anyone done anything with that concept, get George on the horn!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
3 Switch Revolving Decanter and Glassware

quote:

Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter

As with anything made of wood there possibly may be some warping and cutting boards need maintenance. This all depends on where you live and how much you use it. We will naturally take care of any complications that we can and we will explain how to maintain your cutting board for a number of years.
Hand blown glass offers many variations, that is the nature of things made by hand. We want to limit extreme variance in our production while keeping in mind each piece is unique in its subtle variations.
Glass is fragile and we have to package it well for shipping. Keep in mind our shipping costs are included with your purchase here on Kickstarter.

Dealing with many different files and photos, fonts and text will be a challenge. We will do our best to get you your final product as you imagined it. We will need to deal with variations in photos and the quality of photos to reach a high quality engraving.

We want to get it right and we aim to please so that you get a meaningful well made final product. Please have patience as customizing items is very time consuming.

Also your product may be a complete piece of poo poo because nobody wants glasses that keep moving around.