Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Austin's podcast is so entertaining. He's pretty good at it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

While not technically a WWE video package, this is the real answer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30gonV3yjgs&t=923s

Expected a link to Mr. Brown's entrance video.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I got halfway through Stone Cold's first podcast and couldn't continue. Listening to the Ric Flair one just now and it is much better

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

NienNunb posted:

PunchMen SomethingOrAnother: What are the best WWE-produced video packages?

TNA has some awesome ones:

Destination X 2006

Turning Point 2004

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I found it hard to concentrate on many Observer shows this week because I'm too busy laughing at Lance Storm just silently breathing into the microphone and almost never speaking. Lance Storm Surround Sound. The Austin podcast is great though.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
According to Bryan, we've only been hearing one side of the Brent Kremen at Summerslam story and it's not the one he heard or remembers.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

RBX posted:

I only discovered this existed in the last day or so and I've listened to the Flair and Samoa Joe ones, and they were a fantastic listen. The Flair one worked particularly well since he was there in person and not on the phone, and it was really great to listen to them shoot the poo poo about guys they both knew and guys that Austin knew of only by rep etc. I've heard the Bruiser death story before, but I'd never heard about Invader having lost his child only a day or two earlier :smith:

Frilled Lizard
May 22, 2004

WOOF WOOF WOOF
YOU KNOW IT

Jerusalem posted:

I only discovered this existed in the last day or so and I've listened to the Flair and Samoa Joe ones, and they were a fantastic listen. The Flair one worked particularly well since he was there in person and not on the phone, and it was really great to listen to them shoot the poo poo about guys they both knew and guys that Austin knew of only by rep etc. I've heard the Bruiser death story before, but I'd never heard about Invader having lost his child only a day or two earlier :smith:

Make sure you listen to the Scott Hall set as well, it's amazing to hear him so coherent and well-spoken. Tim White's pretty good too, just to hear referee perspective (the quality isn't the best, though). Also if you want a couple without guests, the Mani-Pedi one and the one where he talks about trying to shoot a woodpecker are good. I could listen to his wacky adventures all day. :allears:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The Eric Young interview is probably my favorite out of the Stone Cold podcast stuff. I'm warming up to Austin more since he figured out how to have more of a conversation that sounds like an actual conversation because it was pretty rough for the first few episodes but that's to be expected.

Two things from the Eric Young episode stood out to me - the first was him casually telling the story about how he broke his ankle working for TNA and couldn't afford to get it fixed so he had to attempt to work a match a few days later on a PPV with it. He's a very pro-TNA guy in interviews and this stood out as really weird. Not that we didn't already know that TNA treats their talent horribly but I didn't expect that story to come from Young.

The second was the entire segment of him trying to explain how he manages aqua dumps during the taping of his fishing show.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
New SNCJ. Podcasting schedule will become infrequent as football season rolls on.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

RBX posted:

It was rough at the start, but he has gotten much better. The content is incredible.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
There are two big things that annoy me about Austin's podcast. First, he always talks over his guests. I think it's a wrestling thing, but there's a handful of times every episode where he just shouts over whoever is on so he can say whatever he wanted.

The other thing is that he's got a guy there to edit his podcast, but they never bother. I guess it's kind of endearing, but why have the guy there if he's not going to go throught he show?

But I keep listening because they're always entertaining if nothing else.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Listening to the F4W shows makes me somewhat interested in UFC(and to a lesser extent Bellator), to the point that I will probably watch The Ultimate Fighter when it starts

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
The more I listen to Les Thatcher the more I realize I don't really care what he has to say about anything. Am I alone in this assessment?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Karmine posted:

The more I listen to Les Thatcher the more I realize I don't really care what he has to say about anything. Am I alone in this assessment?

I listened to maybe 2-3 episodes of Wrestling Weekly before coming to this conclusion after he used the phrase "if you've never worked..." about 5 times in 2 minutes.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

TheHock posted:

There are two big things that annoy me about Austin's podcast. First, he always talks over his guests. I think it's a wrestling thing, but there's a handful of times every episode where he just shouts over whoever is on so he can say whatever he wanted.

The other thing is that he's got a guy there to edit his podcast, but they never bother. I guess it's kind of endearing, but why have the guy there if he's not going to go throught he show?

They are getting better, but your criticisms are accurate.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Karmine posted:

No I listened to 5 minutes of it in the car yesterday for the first time in probably 6 months and turned it off for the same reason.

He's not necessarily bad, it's just boring and the poor audio quality makes it sound like it was recorded underwater or something.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

TheHock posted:

I think the editor guy is just there to give a non-wrestler/celebrity perspective and they just gave him a job title. Maybe he works on the ads and cuts the show together or something, but he neither adds nor really takes away from the show to me.

Agreed on talking over the guests, but he's gotten better at interviewing over the life of the show - it's probably tough to go from cutting WWE promos to this after having done it for so long.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

TheHock posted:

Yeah this is a big problem - I don't remember which one it was I recently listened to but he literally shouts something like WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT like 80 times while the guy on the other end is just trying to finish a sentence because Steve wasn't ready to finish the sentence yet, apparently. Not sure what he's thinking doing that but it sounds ridiculous.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Yeah this is a big problem - I don't remember which one it was I recently listened to but he literally shouts something like WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT like 80 times while the guy on the other end is just trying to finish a sentence because Steve wasn't ready to finish the sentence yet, apparently. Not sure what he's thinking doing that but it sounds ridiculous.

Bigdave.txt

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Meltzer is kinda Rain Man-ish though so I can't really blame him for doing it. I don't think he can help it.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Like that time the dude got on complaining about there being no black world champions in the WWE

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Valeyard posted:

Like that time the dude got on complaining about there being no black world champions in the WWE
Or any time Bryan says "I have a theory..."

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
The fact that Steve Austin hasn't been in a Tarantino film is a drat shame.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Perigryn posted:

Or any time Bryan says "I have a theory..."

I'm thankful he at least stopped himself from continuing to rant about Gail Kim selling being crotched.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
PSP Question: What are some notable midcarders over the years that seemed like they would end up getting a main event shot, but just didn't end up making it or were given the chance but it didn't pan out well? What is usually the mentality behind trying to get a midcarder in the main event?

EDIT: By "mentality" I mean, how would you go about trying to build up a midcarder for the main event and then pulling the trigger to make him into a big dude?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 26, 2013

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I don't know if this fits but I think guys like Mr. Perfect or Ted Dibase Sr. were IC level champs but never won the big WWE title.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Question for the Ten Count: Do you realize if you were in Japan you would need to do twice as many topics?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Ten Counters: Talk about things that are overrated (wrestlers, promos, shows, etc...)

oatgan fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 26, 2013

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Shawn Michaels. Maybe Kurt Angle. Both guys have talent, no question, but people remember their great matches and forget that they both have had some really disappointing matches.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
Ten Count Question: What are some of the oldest good wrestling angles and matches that have been preserved in video?

A lot of us wrestling fans talk more about wrestling than we actually watch. I'd like to try watching more. And I want to see some of the oldest stuff that is "complete" in its video records.

Are there matches/angles from the 1970s or earlier that have enough video coverage online or elsewhere there one can go watch it, getting a real sense of what it might have been like to see it in the good old days?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Observer Live is great, Lance Storm - Volleyballa, Jack Tunney - rear end in a top hat.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

Lance Storm is so boring, he goes around the horn back to interesting.

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

This one goes out to all the Legomaniacs!
10-Count question: Is there a match that, despite the ending, is among your favourites? How much more would you enjoy this match if the ending was different?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sex_Ferguson posted:

PSP Question: What are some notable midcarders over the years that seemed like they would end up getting a main event shot, but just didn't end up making it or were given the chance but it didn't pan out well?

Christian :smug:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rarity posted:

Christian :smug:

Well he got a main event run in TNA didn't he?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

The Flair podcast was great (although on today's observer show Dave refutes some of the Brody story's details) but the part where he and Steamboat (by proxy) were burying Macho Man for the match planning comes off as really petty considering he is making fun of one of the greatest matches of all time.

Being a musician gives me a good analogy; it's like he is a great improvisational talent making fun of a person/band that rehearses their live show down to the second. Some bands go on stage without a set list, call it on the fly, and/or do extended jams in the middle of songs when they feel it. Some groups have a 60 minute performance tightly scripted down to where each guy must stand at certain times so it looks right in the stage lighting/pyro. There is no right way to do it as both can work equally well (or bad) if you are good at it. Ultimately as long as the performance is good, who gives a poo poo whether scripted or called on the fly? Is it impressive that he and Steamboat could go out and wrestle a one hour classic without any pre-planning? Absolutely. Is it impressive that Savage could put together tight matches that told a story generally with a 15-20 minute time period? Absolutely.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Total Divas seems to be breaking Dave Meltzer's brain and I heartily enjoy it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

The Flair podcast was great (although on today's observer show Dave refutes some of the Brody story's details) but the part where he and Steamboat (by proxy) were burying Macho Man for the match planning comes off as really petty considering he is making fun of one of the greatest matches of all time.

Being a musician gives me a good analogy; it's like he is a great improvisational talent making fun of a person/band that rehearses their live show down to the second. Some bands go on stage without a set list, call it on the fly, and/or do extended jams in the middle of songs when they feel it. Some groups have a 60 minute performance tightly scripted down to where each guy must stand at certain times so it looks right in the stage lighting/pyro. There is no right way to do it as both can work equally well (or bad) if you are good at it. Ultimately as long as the performance is good, who gives a poo poo whether scripted or called on the fly? Is it impressive that he and Steamboat could go out and wrestle a one hour classic without any pre-planning? Absolutely. Is it impressive that Savage could put together tight matches that told a story generally with a 15-20 minute time period? Absolutely.

Absolutely. I do think being unable to call ANYthing on the fly hurts a worker, and is part of the problem in the WWE developmental system, where you get guys/gals who are deer in headlights if a spot is blown or something unexpected happens, but there's nothing inherently wrong in a tightly laid out match. Besides, Flair (and Bret Hart, among others) may call it in the ring, but they've got a formula they stick to in most matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The problem with relying just on meticulous planning and not being able to work on the fly is that its pretty easy for all that to fall apart. The guy before you might run long and suddenly you only have a couple minute to retool a match down to half its length

• Locked thread