Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's not going to fail, and Forza won't be ported to PC any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Well hopefully all of the talent will leave Turn-10 then and start a new company. Dan Greenawalt without the big executives across across the street breathing down his neck, would make a pretty amazing racing sim that i'm sure would rival even Forza in quality.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

These things should be costing 6-700 dollars.

What the console costs Microsoft is irrelevant, the console is worth whatever people will pay for it. ISCI! is saying Forza 5 isn't worth $560 to him and he's allowed to have that opinion; I certainly agree with it.

RE Your example: phones are sold at a subsidised price with a contract. Consoles are sold at a subsidised price with a big margin on the games.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

I said come in! posted:

Well hopefully all of the talent will leave Turn-10 then and start a new company. Dan Greenawalt without the big executives across across the street breathing down his neck, would make a pretty amazing racing sim that i'm sure would rival even Forza in quality.

Licensing.

Also I love all y'all bitching about the Bone being $500. Yeah, it's pricy as hell but at least the bulk of you aren't going to be paying 13% tax on the loving thing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PopeOnARope posted:

Licensing.

Also I love all y'all bitching about the Bone being $500. Yeah, it's pricy as hell but at least the bulk of you aren't going to be paying 13% tax on the loving thing.

Like for cars? That's not too big of a deal anymore. Manufacturers are way more willing to give stuff out now.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

PopeOnARope posted:

Licensing.

UK has 20% tax. :smithicide:

I mean I'll be getting a PS4 but still, tax is tax.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

PopeOnARope posted:

$668 here (UK) at the current exchange rate, PS4 is $545. 20% sales tax, after they round the price up a little bit.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I for one am very annoyed that supercars cost upwards of $200k now, what happened to the days when the proletariat could buy a reasonably priced $125-$145k automobile :monocle:

The Sega Genesis cost me $200 in 1989, which is about $292 in today's dollar according to my lengthy 1 second research. The federal minimum wage in 1989 was $3.35.

The Genesis had no kinect, no hard drive, no wireless connectivity of any sort and no 1080p 60fps video despite the fact it says "High Definition Graphics" on the actual case. Get a grip.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

You know there's a new Forza coming out when MUFFlNS starts posting here :laugh:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Edmund Honda posted:

What the console costs Microsoft is irrelevant, the console is worth whatever people will pay for it. ISCI! is saying Forza 5 isn't worth $560 to him and he's allowed to have that opinion; I certainly agree with it.

RE Your example: phones are sold at a subsidised price with a contract. Consoles are sold at a subsidised price with a big margin on the games.

It's not irrelevant. The console is worth what Microsoft is willing to sell it to you at. They could sell it to you for 800 dollars since that might make them some money and tell you to gently caress off, but they know people won't pay that. So they pick a happy medium between the unrealistic expectations consumers have of 2-300 dollars and what the console costs to make. If a console isn't worth 560 dollars to someone, tough titties for them I guess. There are plenty of people who will just automatically buy one and put it in their TV cabinet no matter the price.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Edmund Honda posted:

$668 here (UK) at the current exchange rate, PS4 is $545. 20% sales tax, after they round the price up a little bit.

$=£, eh? That's rough.

That said, I really do wish they would just port Forza to the PC... though that would be suicidal on Turn 10's part. Piracy, hacked cars, and an even more fragmented community, oh my.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hi everybody. Long-time-no-see. Hope everybody's been doing well. (Well, not everybody, but mostly everybody.)

My purely anecdotal experience:
I bought the XBox 360 slim awhile back and gifted my (refurb) 360 to a friend. I wanted the Kinect for the head-tracking but that didn't work out (I sit too close to the TV to even try it). I liked the hardware, though. The big HDD, the black, sleek case, the overall quieter mechanicals, built-in WiFi, etc.
So, when T10 said the memory leak was fixed, that was pretty much the last time a lobby froze for me. FM4 never froze for me, otherwise. Granted, I haven't played it in the last five months or so since I put it down to wait for 5; but unless there have been patches that re-broke it, I expect it to be as freeze-free for me now as it was for all that time I played after the lobby fix. Purely anecdotal, I admit; but FM4 has been solid as a rock for me since the patch. No other games I've played have frozen on the new hardware, either.

I just have to wonder if all (most?) of you who are suffering from these lockups are really seeing the effect of poor coding or aging hardware.

I'd be lying if I said I'm surprised by all the negativity and outright bitching and moaning (and the lamentable return of the gleeful gloating Muffins) about the new console and the new Motorsport. That was inevitable, though; and I'm pretty sure more would agree with that than disagree.

I've watched every video that's been posted here and when I think about how the game will translate to my living room in 1080p, my pants get tight. It can't have been easy to get FM5 ready for the XBox One launch in this time-frame (compare to the absolute travesty that was, and remains, GT5 - the most bitter disappointment), and I am stoked by what I've seen so far because a) it looks beautiful and b) using history as a guide, T10 will be back in 2015 with FM6; which hopefully will add some of the features to meet the level of expectation many of you frustrated nay-sayers have been waiting for (many of which I either couldn't care less about or would outright hate, but to each their own).

I'm sad that it will take that long for some of you to join us on the XBone, though; because I miss racing with a lot of you guys and I just realized I was kinda hoping for a mass, joyful jump to the new game. I'm interested to see what really happens come early 2014.

My only actual gripe so far is that it looks like I am going to have to settle for learning to drive with a controller (which I really do not want to do) until there is a good, affordable wheel available (or Hell freezes over?) It looks like a nice controller, though; so I'll :dealwithit:.
I've long suspected FM helps controller users to the point of faster lap times anyway, so I'll get to test that theory for validity.

I sincerely hope PopeOnARope won't be around, regardless. :emo:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dr. Faustus posted:

I just have to wonder if all (most?) of you who are suffering from these lockups are really seeing the effect of poor coding or aging hardware.

It is, with 100% certainty, the former. If it was hardware, that wouldn't explain why it happens with my new Xbox just as often as it did with the old one. It also wouldn't explain why no other game ever does this out of the more than 70 I own. Aside from Skyrim and New Vegas hardlocking a few times (which is expected out of anything Bethesda makes), everything other than Forza has been smooth on both of my consoles.

If you aren't seeing it happen, you're probably racing in lobbies where people mostly stay in the same cars. But even then, our SBC races have one or two people hardlock semi-routinely between qualifying and the race, and that is with none of us changing cars at all. And after we're done with our main race, several of us will hardlock once we start dicking around in shorter races and choosing different cars. It has everything to do with paint schemes causing a memory leak, they just patched it so that it doesn't crash lobbies.

Hop back online and race in the ABC's hopper some time if you want to see how bad it can get and how quickly hardlocks can occur.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 25, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Where is PhancyPants and what is he doing? He is my Forza bro, nothing homo though. :gay:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cannot Find Server posted:

It is, with 100% certainty, the former. If it was hardware, that wouldn't explain why it happens with my new Xbox just as often as it did with the old one. It also wouldn't explain why no other game ever does this out of the more than 70 I own.
Ah. I take your word for it and am convinced.

I'll just be an awful T10 apologist and speculate that the focus on getting the new Motorsport out in time for a new console launch might suggest a reason why the devs have been unwilling (more likely unable) to focus on FM4 bugs any longer.

drat, now I'm Muffins!!

That does suck, Cubi.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The thing is, people complained about hardlocking on the official forums right after the patch came out that fixed the lobby crashes. Turn 10 said they'd look into it, and then nothing. At this point, yeah, they wouldn't bother, but they have had plenty of time to fix it even in the time between the lobby fix and Horizon coming out.

And again, this has been going on since Forza 2, it isn't like it's a new problem; just more prolific in Forza 4 due to the higher car counts. Forza 3 is where it went from being an inconvenience to an annoyance due to the storefront and people being more readily able to get paint schemes, along with the addition of multiclass hoppers that automatically changed your car class (I spent a lot of time in A and E and could go a good 10 races between crashes). I used to do a lot of ABS's in Forza 4 because it's a ton of fun, but eventually stopped because having to turn off my system every half an hour or less was just killing it. And it happened to every other person I routinely saw in ABC's as well; it was a common occurrence to see someone drop out and then come back 2 minutes later, lamenting the fact that their system hardlocked again.

The only thing I've found that kinda helps is clearing your cache, which kinda fixes things for a week or less. But then you need to redownload a bunch of poo poo for all your other games, and it's an awful lot of inconvenience to fix one game when you have to do it weekly.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Whaddup bustas!

Just wanted to chip in and say I was getting lockups quite often, or infinate loading screen and messed up paintjobs and stuff like that for the past year or so, slowly getting worse.

The soloution? Took the disc to a gamestation and paid £2 for them to re-surface it, not a single problem since AND it appears to read the disc for alot less time now too. And yeah, this was with the game installed to HDD.

Only reason I discovered this was when I took my disc round to play at a friends, only for the same problems to appear.

EDIT:VVV I'd try it, only because its a really cheap fix if it does work. I mean what can you get for £2 nowadays? certainly not a nice fish supper bah blah rabble rabble...

Captain Hair fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 26, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Captain Hair posted:

Whaddup bustas!

Just wanted to chip in and say I was getting lockups quite often, or infinate loading screen and messed up paintjobs and stuff like that for the past year or so, slowly getting worse.

The soloution? Took the disc to a gamestation and paid £2 for them to re-surface it, not a single problem since AND it appears to read the disc for alot less time now too. And yeah, this was with the game installed to HDD.

Only reason I discovered this was when I took my disc round to play at a friends, only for the same problems to appear.

I wonder if this is related to the hilarious issue they had when the game launched where the anti-piracy measures on the discs were flagging a bunch of people as having pirated copies :lol:

If this is what causes the problem, that makes even less sense than a memory leak, considering that I too have the game installed. I guess I'll try it out though.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Captain Hair posted:

Whaddup bustas!

EDIT:VVV I'd try it, only because its a really cheap fix if it does work. I mean what can you get for £2 nowadays? certainly not a nice fish supper bah blah rabble rabble...

This doesn't make since as I have only ever played FM4 off of the hard drive. And even then the disc hasn't left my Xbox in months. The only other thing I use my Xbox for is Netflix, and I plan on getting a Roku for that by the end of January (when my XBL Gold is up). I'm just finding consoles less and less appealing as gaming devices, mostly because I love to mod my games.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Captain Hair posted:

Whaddup bustas!

It is a cheap thing to try so maybe ill give it a chance. But it doesn't really make sense that I can hot lap or do rivals all day but once I hop into online racing its a whole different story.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The Forza constantly freezing thing is a new development for me, I've never had it happen to me (or for that matter heard of any of my friends/clubmates having it) until like 6 months ago and the lobby crash fix was what? over a year ago?

Now my (slim) 360 crashes every few days.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 26, 2013

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

I'd imagine that the transition from 8 car to 16 car lobbies didn't help.

Also damnit Howdy, you're making me want to buy an XBone right now. I'm just so drat poor :I

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

PopeOnARope posted:

Also damnit Howdy, you're making me want to buy an XBone right now. I'm just so drat poor :I
I dream of a world in which no one gets Poped.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
On a related note, a local store must be clearing room in its warehouse, because these 360 consoles just appeared in their electronics section. I took this picture earlier today.

This is the 2007 Arcade model, tagged at the last price that the store had in the inventory system. This model only has the 256meg memory card, so it isn't even able to run the upgraded dashboard. It is also $50 more than the 4GB units that are sitting in the next display case.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Hope someone buys it for their kid. "It looked different to the other X Boxes"

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Aardmania posted:

On a related note, a local store must be clearing room in its warehouse, because these 360 consoles just appeared in their electronics section. I took this picture earlier today.

This is the 2007 Arcade model, tagged at the last price that the store had in the inventory system. This model only has the 256meg memory card, so it isn't even able to run the upgraded dashboard. It is also $50 more than the 4GB units that are sitting in the next display case.

J-Tag time? :)

I said come in! posted:

You really want someone to give you a gold star and a pat on the back for hating the XBox One, don't you? Yes we get it, you don't want a XBox One. Good for you. Move on.

You Am I fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 26, 2013

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...
Apparently Forza Central and NeoGAF did some digging and found the company that did the laser scanning of the tracks. Turns out that the company also scanned Bathurst, Long Beach, Yas Marina, Monza, Pacific Raceways, Prague and the new config of Silverstone. Take with a grain of salt for now, but those could be some of the new tracks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You Am I posted:

You really want someone to give you a gold star and a pat on the back for hating the XBox One, don't you? Yes we get it, you don't want a XBox One. Good for you. Move on.

Sorry this is such an upsetting discussion to you but you're just going to have to get over it. A lot of people feel the same way I do because there are naturally a lot of Forza fans in here, but some of them feel that the Xbox One gets in the way of allowing them to continue enjoying their favorite franchise. It doesn't offer much value other then this one game. Go back, read the discussions and try to understand the points already made, both sides have made perfectly valid arguments.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Sex Vicar posted:

Apparently Forza Central and NeoGAF did some digging and found the company that did the laser scanning of the tracks. Turns out that the company also scanned Bathurst, Long Beach, Yas Marina, Monza, Pacific Raceways, Prague and the new config of Silverstone. Take with a grain of salt for now, but those could be some of the new tracks.

The lap of Pacific Raceway they have on the front page looks like a really fun little track. Wouldn't mind seeing that in Forza 5.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jarf posted:

The lap of Pacific Raceway they have on the front page looks like a really fun little track. Wouldn't mind seeing that in Forza 5.

It would be cool to see this track. Its in Kent, WA so only about 45 minutes from where Turn-10 is. I've never got to see the track in person, but I know a few people who have raced on it.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Sorry this is such an upsetting discussion to you but you're just going to have to get over it. A lot of people feel the same way I do because there are naturally a lot of Forza fans in here, but some of them feel that the Xbox One gets in the way of allowing them to continue enjoying their favorite franchise. It doesn't offer much value other then this one game. Go back, read the discussions and try to understand the points already made, both sides have made perfectly valid arguments.

I'm with you. Forza is probably my #1 favorite game, and I even own stock in Microsoft, but I'm so sick of the way they do everything that I just can't convince myself to give them any more money for the Bone. Get rid of the Kinect, tone down the preorder/DLC bullshit, and promise me my old wheel/pedal setup will work and I'll maybe change my mind. Until then, I guess I'll just stick with Forza 4 (or driving 160 different types of Skylines in GT6).

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I said come in! posted:

This is where I stand as well. And even ignoring the multitude of shortcomings with the Xbone, I'm just sick of the way Microsoft does things. I'm annoyed that my first console red ringed (and my original Xbox's DVD drive died, with my second original Xbox's drive on the way out), I'm annoyed that their sales and offers are just completely awful compared to PSN (which has like 200 games they've given away for free at this point). I hate that the controllers are unreliable and that every. single. one. gets drift in the left stick after a month. I hate that you cannot delete a credit card from your account until your subscription is up; that seems kinda shady to me, and I don't want a card linked to my account after one of my friends got Fifa hacked and had his account info stolen.

I'm annoyed with Forza 5, too. I hate that they seem to be focusing on career stuff, I hate that they took away the auction house and have made very lovely sounding changes to selling paint schemes and setups, I hate that they have no goddamn night racing. I still hope it's an amazing game and that the rumor about new tracks is true for the sake of the people buying it, but it just seems like not as big a leap as Forza 1 to 2 were, or Forza 2 to 3, for that matter. Certainly not big enough of one to justify a new console just for that game, to me.

Symphoric posted:

Until then, I guess I'll just stick with Forza 4 (or driving 160 different types of Skylines in GT6).

This is my plan as well. Forza 4 is still good enough, and I'm sure plenty will still be playing it after 5 is out. Hell, I hopped on Forza 2 a while ago and people were still playing that.

Also, don't forget about Project CARS. If GT6 is poo poo, we always have that to fall back on.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 26, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

I grant you your opinion as anyone else should, but stating "hopefully the 'talent' from T10 team will leave" is little... well, let's just say I'd expect a different level of input from you, one of my favorite posters in the whole GT5/FM4 area here.

Also, in these cases it's usually silly to be so very reactionary (not calling you out, just saying in general) about a system and a game that have yet to hit the market. We're the reason paid DLC works for Microsoft, because we pay for it (for example).

Let cooler heads prevail until the situation and the products are fully revealed, shall we?

Nahhhhh!

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Sex Vicar posted:

So we'll probably see one of these tracks in Forza 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

I grant you your opinion as anyone else should, but stating "hopefully the 'talent' from T10 team will leave" is little... well, let's just say I'd expect a different level of input from you, one of my favorite posters in the whole GT5/FM4 area here.

D'awwww :3

Lets smash some windows over this! :mad: But no seriously, you bring up some good points. Just to give a tl;dr on my opinions on this; I think Forza 5 will be a solid game like the series always has. However i'm not convinced that the Xbox One is worth buying yet. It's Microsofts job to convince me to buy their system and game, that's what marketing is all about. When I look at Forza 5, i'm thinking "well this game looks great, but is it $560 + tax great?" All of a sudden what's being offered doesn't look appealing enough, where if it were on the Xbox 360 I would be overly excited. If someone else is of the opinion that it is then that's totally cool. I'm not ripping on any of you for thinking that! A lot of people are approaching this with the confidence that there will be other games in the future they will want to play. I don't take that approach myself because i've been burned on game consoles like that in the past, but there's good arguments to be made that this won't happen on the Xbone, it'll have a really good library. Then there are all of these other issues too with the system that I really don't like that gets in the way.

Buying the Xbone is going to be a relevant part of the Forza 5 discussion, because it's required to play the game and its an investment.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I like following Forza on facebook because whenever they update with something baout Forza 5, the comments fill up with things like "YOU ARE ALL LITERALLY MONSTERS FOR NOT RELEASING FORZA 5 FOR 360! I HATE YOU SO MUCH! I AM A DUMB POOR PERSON!"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I like following Forza on facebook because whenever they update with something baout Forza 5, the comments fill up with things like "YOU ARE ALL LITERALLY MONSTERS FOR NOT RELEASING FORZA 5 FOR 360! I HATE YOU SO MUCH! I AM A DUMB POOR PERSON!"

Haha yeah, if my hyperbole that i'm well known for seems bad, the Facebook comments are off the wall insane.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

O poo poo I gotta start following Forza on Facebook. I avoid FB like the loving plague but I do have a fake account I can use. That sounds amusing.

That MadCatz wheel doesn't look terrible, except I was hoping to finally get a clutch pedal. But to be fair, I never had one with my MS wheel and I got by. You could look on the bright side and consider a clutch pedal is just another part that could break, and raise the price of the controller.

Here are the Google results from a search on it, if you haven't looked at it. One thing that appeals to me about it is that it looks like you can easily rest it on your lap, as I did with the MS wheel all this time, eliminating the need (for me at least) for a wheel stand.

I really, really don't want to use an XBox controller to drive, I've always used the wheel in Motorsport; and happily used the controller for less serious games like the NFS games.
Naturally, this won't please anyone who shelled out for Fanatec gear, esp. the high-end stuff; but I suspect Fanatec will work something out so most if not all Fanatec owners will get to use their current wheel with the XBone... or at least the more recent wheels will get updated.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 26, 2013

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Jarf posted:

I havent heard of this track before. Am I crazy or is there some similarity to Sedona Club ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

Dr. Faustus posted:

I dream of a world in which no one gets Poped.

Speaking of, Pope, come back and race in some SBC races so everyone can enjoy the experience of a Pope race.

• Locked thread