Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AfroNinja
Oct 24, 2006
I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT EXPLOITING WOMEN BECAUSE I HAVE A SMALL DICK AND DESERVE TO TAKE A BULLET IN THE SKULL

goldboilermark posted:

I would suggest being there as early as possible, with your photo, and all four or five pieces of paper. I would make a ridiculous amount of copies of these papers, because who knows what they will ask you to do.

Definitely do this. If you think you don't need it, make copies any ways and bring it. Rules will change on you last minute and your HR will blame YOU for not checking them online (even though thats THEIR job)

You'll save yourself a lot of headache and frantic phone calls to your HR department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

AfroNinja posted:

...HR department.

You're optimistic this morning.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
In my experience most "HR" departments is one girl who also doubles as a teacher.

edit: which would make arguments with that woman so much funnier.

"You're an rear end in a top hat, I'm talking to HR about this"
"Okay let me get HR....okay HR tells you to go gently caress yourself"

ants on my cum rag fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 25, 2013

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Our HR department is just as Chinese as every other aspect of our company that is run by Chinese.

Interestingly enough, our recruitment and education departments are wildly successful. Foreigners run those. Hmm.

edit: Our secretary ain't bad when she's awake, which is about half her workday.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

There's an engineer at my office who is so transparently lazy that he regularly puts on one of those eye mask things, leans back, and takes a nap at like 3pm.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Hey that 1:30-2:30 nap is a proud cultural tradition, also the mid morning nap and the lunch nap and after lunch nap and the post after lunch nap. At least in Korea, i hear it's similar in China. It's like working with less efficient Italians.

AfroNinja
Oct 24, 2006
I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT EXPLOITING WOMEN BECAUSE I HAVE A SMALL DICK AND DESERVE TO TAKE A BULLET IN THE SKULL

The Worst Muslim posted:

In my experience most "HR" departments is one girl who also doubles as a teacher.
"Okay let me get HR....okay HR tells you to go gently caress yourself"

My HR department consists of a Director and an underling. Guess who does all of the work?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DontAskKant posted:

Hey that 1:30-2:30 nap is a proud cultural tradition, also the mid morning nap and the lunch nap and after lunch nap and the post after lunch nap. At least in Korea, i hear it's similar in China. It's like working with less efficient Italians.

Yeah, it's a pretty common thing throughout the world. At least regular businesses don't shut down in China like they do in Spain.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
I can get behind this sort of nap thing. World ain't gonna explode in the half-hour I take my nap, be cool.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty common thing throughout the world. At least regular businesses don't shut down in China like they do in Spain.

This napping goes on while you're supposed to be teaching a class and stuff, though.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Yes indeed. That owned. I've ordered Peking duck a few times in the U.S. and there was no pile of carcass to knaw on. Now I know what's up.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Eat This Glob posted:

Yes indeed. That owned. I've ordered Peking duck a few times in the U.S. and there was no pile of carcass to knaw on. Now I know what's up.

The carcass is for soup btw.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
I actually kind of miss Chinese food. The Chinese food in America was loving delicious. The poo poo here is often sad. Especially duck and chicken dishes.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.

ZombieParts posted:

I actually kind of miss Chinese food. The Chinese food in America was loving delicious. The poo poo here is often sad. Especially duck and chicken dishes.

Come to Shanghai. We have American Chinese food.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

JimBobDole posted:

Come to Shanghai. We have American Chinese food.

Got any South African Chinese food?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

The carcass is for soup btw.

They didn't serve soup v:shobon:v but noted!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Grand Fromage posted:

This napping goes on while you're supposed to be teaching a class and stuff, though.

"Teaching" is a loose term at state schools.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Eat This Glob posted:

They didn't serve soup v:shobon:v but noted!

Well... normally they'll give you the soup if you ask for it. The shittier places (全聚德) will swap you the carcass for soup. The better places will give you the soup AND the carcass. Said carcass is for soup-making back home. Just add some goodies like ginger, salt, celery, wintermelon, topped off with gouqi and boil the gently caress outta it. Best results if you use a dutch oven :)

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Well... normally they'll give you the soup if you ask for it. The shittier places (全聚德) will swap you the carcass for soup. The better places will give you the soup AND the carcass. Said carcass is for soup-making back home. Just add some goodies like ginger, salt, celery, wintermelon, topped off with gouqi and boil the gently caress outta it. Best results if you use a dutch oven :)

Ewww.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Chinese soups are the worst in that regard. If I ever again get someone smiling as they hand me a big bowl of black chicken (entire carcass, blackened) soup or the like, I swear. Also, what is the Asian (general) obsession with sticking objects too large to fit in your mouth in a soup? That drives me bonkers. Why have I got a vegetable that's 3 inches long and 1 inch in circumference in my soup bowl? Why is there an entire chicken leg? :argh: There's not a plate to cut it on and a knife and a fork, so can we just have bite-sized poo poo in our soup?

My other favorite - and I'm sure you guys have this too - are the soups with multiple ingredients that you're supposed to know not to eat. Like bamboo shoots or galanga or whatever. What genius came up with leaving that poo poo in the soup? Eating soups here is like a Candid Camera moment.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 26, 2013

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Protip the black chickens are called Silkies and they literally have black skin, they're not blackened

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

MeramJert posted:

Protip the black chickens are called Silkies and they literally have black skin, they're not blackened
Query: They are still black and pretty much the entire carcass is in the soup, correct? Bonus points for not saying "It depends on the chef, some just use the head and..."

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ReindeerF posted:

Query: They are still black and pretty much the entire carcass is in the soup, correct? Bonus points for not saying "It depends on the chef, some just use the head and..."

Response: Yep

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Don't be racist about chickens. They're black because they're born that way.

Also where do people serve you soup with inedible bamboo?

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007
So, after the arrests in Shenzhen earlier this month, my Chinese teacher tells me they're cracking down on people working without the correct visa in Xi'an also.

This is pretty much third hand gossip, but apparently "several" foreign teachers were arrested in the last couple of days and taken to somewhere close to the TV Tower (South Xi'an). They can expect to be jailed for 10 days, deported, and not allowed back in to the country.

Asked why the police were bothering, she blamed anonymous tips from competing schools, and the police getting a cut of the 100,000 kuai fines levied on the companies involved.

This could put a bit of a crimp on her side business of renting out laowai as models to hotels, restaurants, for openings, events, etc.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Arglebargle III posted:

Don't be racist about chickens. They're black because they're born that way.
Heh. I just ask because I grew up in rural America around black-feathered chickens and they had white skin and bones like every other chicken.

Arglebargle III posted:

Also where do people serve you soup with inedible bamboo?
Thailand, The Philippines, Cambodia, probably other places. Also galanga, kaffir lime leaves and various other things you're not supposed to actually chew and eat.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
drat the South East Asians are too unrefined, with all the well heeled Chinese you associate with you guys sure eat like peasants :downrim:

Aiya stop eating at lovely places. Yes everything is dumped into the soup, but
1. all the inedible parts solids should get taken out beforehand
2. Strain the smaller bits out
3. the larger chunks of food should be served onto another plate and cut into bite sized portions (can take them home for left overs and if you want)

When it comes to Guangdong cooking, fancier places/meals you don't even eat any of the carcass because it has been boiled out of flavour and is used for filler. The only exception I can think of is cured Chinese ham.

Having 12 people gnawing at a vegetable and splashing into the soup bowl is just barbaric.

caberham fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 26, 2013

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
As a traditional British person (leek and potato being my favourite childhood soup) I used to despise Chinese soups. Salty water with bits of bone/seaweed/ridiculous vegetable(?) floating around in it.

But they grew on me, and, around about the time I really mastered eating bits of meat that were more bone than meat, I saw the light. Chinese soups are cool, you just have to view the watery part as more of a drink/broth that goes alongside the chunky parts.

Also black chickens are the best; totally superior to white chickens.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

caberham posted:

all the inedible parts
I think we may have hit upon the problem there Hop Sing. In my culture, feet be inedible and stuff. Also heads and entire pangolins and so on!

EDIT: Also, when are you flying back through dirty Asia and not pretending to lose your phone upon falling in love with a waitress for the weekend? I AM JUST SAYING.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Rabelais D posted:

Also black chickens are the best; totally superior to white chickens.

Once you go black...

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Once you go black...

It's certainly been my experience that black cocks are bigger and carry more meat.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rabelais D posted:

I used to despise Chinese soups. Salty water with bits of bone/seaweed/ridiculous vegetable(?) floating around in it.

The cheap poo poo with laver and maybe a little string of egg is the worst. You can tell it's just an incredibly :effort: soup that does really just taste of salty water with a bit of oil and seaweed in it.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

The cheap poo poo with laver and maybe a little string of egg is the worst. You can tell it's just an incredibly :effort: soup that does really just taste of salty water with a bit of oil and seaweed in it.

And yet the customers are dutifully brought their little bowls of steaming pish.

Why?

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

GuestBob posted:

It's certainly been my experience that black cocks are bigger and carry more meat.

I hear they run faster too

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ReindeerF posted:

I think we may have hit upon the problem there Hop Sing. In my culture, feet be inedible and stuff. Also heads and entire pangolins and so on!

Ok Ok, solids, solids.

Fun fact, if you pack your lunch box with last night's carcass/solids/soup left overs, your co workers will silently judge or pity you as dirt poor.

quote:

EDIT: Also, when are you flying back through dirty Asia and not pretending to lose your phone upon falling in love with a waitress for the weekend? I AM JUST SAYING.

I don't fall in love with Thai waitresses, I think almost everyone in the thread knows the white elephant in the room :downsrim:

I do want to go to SE Asia, but I'm itching for Singapore. Yes, I know I'm boring :rolleyes: I still haven't made my #2 Beijing goon trip or Taiwan trip. But I promise you, if the weather in Hong Kong gets too cold during the winter, I'm just going to jump on a plane Friday night and whatsapp you within 4 hours to set a BKK goon meet.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

GuestBob posted:

And yet the customers are dutifully brought their little bowls of steaming pish.

Why?

It's China, doing things for reasons nobody really understands and doing them badly is the bedrock of society.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Rabelais D posted:

eating bits of meat that were more bone than meat

This is unacceptable and the primary reason I never eat at Cafe de Coral/Fairwood/Maxim. I'll never understand the Chinese way of stuffing a whole bony piece of meat in your mouth, sucking all the good stuff off and spitting the bone back out like a cartoon character. Why not just slice the meat off beforehand?

Then I see Chinese people at western restaurants eating ribs and chicken wings with utensils (or chopsticks :gonk:) and I feel like I'm in a Brendan Fraser movie.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I totally eat chicken wings with chopsticks. If you don't feel like getting your hands dirty, it's great.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Bloodnose posted:

This is unacceptable and the primary reason I never eat at Cafe de Coral/Fairwood/Maxim. I'll never understand the Chinese way of stuffing a whole bony piece of meat in your mouth, sucking all the good stuff off and spitting the bone back out like a cartoon character. Why not just slice the meat off beforehand?
I do that with chicken wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Frankly it's easier to eat chicken wings and ribs and pizza with chopsticks than have to deal with the table wide interrogation. How do they eat fruit pieces there? I always grasp with the chopsticks, but I see everyone else stabbing.