Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Thanks, looks like it's time to expand my ever growing collection of spray cans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Supradog posted:

Thanks, looks like it's time to expand my ever growing collection of spray cans.

Everyone should have contact cleaner in their toolbox. It's handy for cleaning electrics, of course, but it's also fantastic atgetting really nastily-splattered stuff off your headlights and plastics (assuming you don't have expanded polypropylene plastics) or removing the POs lovely stickers, you can use it as starting fluid, and if all else fails, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmXGVDnPU9o

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Supradog posted:

For contact/electrical cleaner spray I highly recommend Chemtronics Electro-Wash (http://www.amazon.com/Chemtronics-Electro-Wash-Cleaner-Degreaser-12-5/dp/B000B603RS), it's a little more expensive but one of the few I've found that doesn't leave any oily residue. We go through a ton of it at work.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

NitroSpazzz posted:

If you haven't you really need to hop on amazon/ebay/whatever and buy a service manual for your bike. It will cover most if not all maintenance procedures with pictures and step-by-step directions. Really is one of the best ways to learn to work on your bike, I own one for all the bikes/cars I own.

I have my service manual, its a brick of a manual too, covers drat near everything I could want to do. I'm just that bad that I still gently caress up! :D

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

NitroSpazzz posted:

For contact/electrical cleaner spray I highly recommend Chemtronics Electro-Wash (http://www.amazon.com/Chemtronics-Electro-Wash-Cleaner-Degreaser-12-5/dp/B000B603RS), it's a little more expensive but one of the few I've found that doesn't leave any oily residue. We go through a ton of it at work.

Hm, interesting. I used a generic store brand contact cleaner and silicon lube spray and it did the trick. I'll look into getting a hold of that one if the stickyness returns.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009
Two questions:

Has anyone run luggage on a street triple? Not looking for a long-haul touring setup, just some relatively unspendy bags for carrying poo poo around town.

Anyone have experience with pirelli angel GTs? Considering a pair to replace my current rubber on the striple.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

CA, next year I rotate out from my current unit and will (hopefully) transfer to another unit.

Assume you could choose the any major (and some minor) coastal city anywhere in the states, which one would you choose and why? Yes San Francisco is my top candidate if its on the list, but we will see...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

CA, next year I rotate out from my current unit and will (hopefully) transfer to another unit.

Assume you could choose the any major (and some minor) coastal city anywhere in the states, which one would you choose and why? Yes San Francisco is my top candidate if its on the list, but we will see...

Honolulu?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

ohwandernearer posted:

Two questions:

Has anyone run luggage on a street triple? Not looking for a long-haul touring setup, just some relatively unspendy bags for carrying poo poo around town.

Anyone have experience with pirelli angel GTs? Considering a pair to replace my current rubber on the striple.

You can fit a Kreiga US20 on the back. It'll carry lunch or a (small) grocery trip. You can fit another US20 on the tank if you want. The Street/Speeds suck for carrying stuff; it's easier if you fit a low-mount pipe (or I guess it's easier with the new ones, that have lowmounts stock.)

Go to TriumphRAT and you'll see people with all sorts of giant stacks of poo poo piled on the passenger seat.

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

I'm changing the clutch lever on my Yamaha TT350, and the bushing is stuck in the old lever. Is there any trick to getting this out? The only thing I can think of is drilling down from the top and using a punch to knock it out. But this would require taking the whole cable out of the bike, plus running the risk of destroying it.

edit: nm, because the handle was aluminium I drilled through it quite easily while it was still on the bike and threaded a bolt through my drill hole to slowly push out the bush.

goodnight mooned fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 27, 2013

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

ohwandernearer posted:

Two questions:

Giant loop great basin for luggage.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Anyone got any solutions for winter hand-freeze death? I've already got pretty hefty winter gauntlets, but the wind cuts through on longer drives. I've heard those wind blocking cups are pretty good.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Hippo Hands plus reasonably warm gloves http://www.hippohands.com/ and/or grip heaters, which don't need to be expensive. I have these: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/192/25420/ITEM/Moose-Racing-Motorcycle-Handwarmer-Kit.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch and they will try to burn my hands off if I leave them on high too long.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Even large brush/hand guards will help a lot to cut down on wind and keep your hands warmer. I run V-Strom hand guards on my SV in the winter and they help quite a bit.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Heated gloves/glove liners are probably the best solution. Heated handlebars don't heat the part of your hand that actually faces the wind, and you lose all the warmth once you take your hand off anyway.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

And while you might look goofy in the States, all the scooter delivery guys here in Korea rock those things so I'd be fitting right in.

This year will be the first time I've ridden in winter conditions though, I've been babied riding in Phoenix and Hawaii.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
Coming from similar babying in Florida and then having to ride in actual winter conditions, I can tell you this: your balls will shortly be staging a major invasion of your lower torso. Invest in good longjohns.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I have been using heated gloves for a while. It's slightly annoying to have to plug stuff in but even at 20 degrees my hands were nice and warm. Really helps to take your mind off of the cold when your fingers aren't freezing.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

If you're riding below say 40F or so heated gear is the way to go. Heated gloves with a heated jacket liner, wool sweater and 1pc textile suit and you can be surprisingly comfortable well below freezing even on a naked bike with very little wind protection.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
This look like a healthy plug?

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Synonamess Botch posted:

This look like a healthy plug?

Get thee a haynes manual.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/reading_spark_plugs.jpg

That said, yea, looks fine.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I got a charity case '04 Honda Rebel given to me as my first actual motor vehicle and even though it's not a very good bike, sorta rusted and has an obscene amount of mileage on it (I think at some point the odometer got busted and I should look at that next) it's mine and I like it and blah blah blah. I'm down in Florida where it alternates between wet as hell rainy days and dry blazing summer ones and I've started noticing that sometimes while I'm holding the throttle steady the bike's engine will sputter and not quite stop but definitely lose power for momentary amounts of time, usually in bursts before clearing and running steady again. It sometimes happens at the start of a commute and sometimes on the way home, and it doesn't seem reproduceable, some days it doesn't happen at all. Any idea what's up?

I don't have a garage so I keep it parked with a heavy-duty tarp for the sun and rain if that helps any.

e: 264,000 on a bike that was mostly used as a trainer by the owner, either it's in KM or the odo is mega busted.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 28, 2013

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sharkopath posted:

I got a charity case '04 Honda Rebel given to me as my first actual motor vehicle and even though it's not a very good bike, sorta rusted and has an obscene amount of mileage on it (I think at some point the odometer got busted and I should look at that next) it's mine and I like it and blah blah blah. I'm down in Florida where it alternates between wet as hell rainy days and dry blazing summer ones and I've started noticing that sometimes while I'm holding the throttle steady the bike's engine will sputter and not quite stop but definitely lose power for momentary amounts of time, usually in bursts before clearing and running steady again. It sometimes happens at the start of a commute and sometimes on the way home, and it doesn't seem reproduceable, some days it doesn't happen at all. Any idea what's up?

I don't have a garage so I keep it parked with a heavy-duty tarp for the sun and rain if that helps any.

e: 264,000 on a bike that was mostly used as a trainer by the owner, either it's in KM or the odo is mega busted.

Your carb is out of whack. My bike has a stuck mixture screw and it does that. Official Bike Shop advice: if you can "pull through it" then it's just dirty. If the bike dies, then get it fixed. It just needs a THOROUGH cleaning.

Everyone else is also going to recommend a can of seafoam in your next tank of gas.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
I just finished restoring and titling a 500cc single cylinder Honda GB500.

I'll post pictures and stuff later, but for now, I have a pretty big concern:

Riding on main drags and streets is awesome and I'm loving it, but I took it on the interstate and it was absolutely terrifying. I rode at about 11 PM and ended up hopping exits a few times. The wind was kinda knocking me around and I DEFINITELY more tense than I was when I rode on other roads (even big ones with traffic). I was kinda freaked about looking away from the road, thanks to the wind speed.

I haven't been riding long at all, so is this just nerves? Was I possibly pushing the bike faster than I needed to, or than it wanted? I'm not sure about the speeds, honestly, because the speedo is a little inconsistent (the cable's being replaced).

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
The relatively massive amounts of wind freaked me out my first time too, but you get used to it. I ride a naked and just tuck in a bit and the wind is fine even at 80+ mph.

Get some earplugs if you haven't already. Reducing that noise will do a lot to get the wind off of your mind.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
ARGH

I'm back on the roads tomorrow and I can't get my KTM started.

The battery was dead as well as being a no-name unit of questionable reliability, so I replaced it with a brand new, fully charged Yuasa. Normally when you reconnect the battery the ECU will kick in and the instruments will quickly do the tach sweep and set the clock. This isn't happening. No lights, nothing. I've checked all the fuses and tested each relay individually, everything is fine. Also tested the kill switch and ignition with a multi-meter, fine.

Pretty much leaves the wiring harness or the ECU itself :smithicide:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

McStephenson posted:

Riding on main drags and streets is awesome and I'm loving it, but I took it on the interstate and it was absolutely terrifying. I rode at about 11 PM and ended up hopping exits a few times. The wind was kinda knocking me around and I DEFINITELY more tense than I was when I rode on other roads (even big ones with traffic). I was kinda freaked about looking away from the road, thanks to the wind speed.

I haven't been riding long at all, so is this just nerves? Was I possibly pushing the bike faster than I needed to, or than it wanted? I'm not sure about the speeds, honestly, because the speedo is a little inconsistent (the cable's being replaced).

Ride on the freeway for like a week and you'll get used to it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

ARGH

The battery was dead as well as being a no-name unit of questionable reliability, so I replaced it with a brand new, fully charged Yuasa. Normally when you reconnect the battery the ECU will kick in and the instruments will quickly do the tach sweep and set the clock. This isn't happening. No lights, nothing. I've checked all the fuses and tested each relay individually, everything is fine. Also tested the kill switch and ignition with a multi-meter, fine.

is that just a KTM thing? Because usually connecting and disconnecting the battery does gently caress-all until you turn the key to on. If that's what you're talking about, possibly it's immobilizer/alarm related. Sometimes they don't like battery disconnection because they assume it's a theft attempt.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ReelBigLizard posted:

ARGH

Is there an immobiliser built in? If it's been off for a while then the battery in that could have drained. Seems unlikely the ECU or loom would have fried just from the bike being laid up.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
No immobiliser or alarm, that's extra weight. You can hotwire a 690 by just popping the seat off and jamming a paperclip in the ignition connector.

Ready to Race!

Linedance posted:

is that just a KTM thing? Because usually connecting and disconnecting the battery does gently caress-all until you turn the key to on. If that's what you're talking about, possibly it's immobilizer/alarm related. Sometimes they don't like battery disconnection because they assume it's a theft attempt.

I guess so, looking at the wiring loom the speedo/tach is connected to the battery side of the ignition so if you disconnect then reconnect the battery it will do it's little sweep and reset the clock to 00:00. Going through the wiring diagram now, might be a bad wire between the battery and ignition.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
What's the battery putting out? Does the system require a minimum voltage before it'll light anything up?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

McStephenson posted:

It's definitely nerves. Riding on the freeway is statistically less risky than on the street; everybody is going the same direction, at roughly the same speed, and nobody is making right turns in front of you. I find it to be a little less mentally tiring than riding in the city.

Sharkopath posted:

I'm guessing it might be en electrical/ignition gremlin. Especially if you're keeping it under a tarp, which will trap moisture and accelerate corrosion.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
gently caress YEAH, WE HAVE IGNITION 4 MINUTES BEFORE MY LICENSE IS VALID AGAIN

Just as soon as I put some air in the tyres

'twas indeed a bad wire between the battery and ignition.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

McStephenson posted:

Congrats dude, those GB500s are awesome little bikes. You'll get used to the wind. First time I went 50mph scared the poo poo out of me.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Engine power and bike weight directly correlate to how jumpy I am on the highway. CB650/750? Just loving fine. 500 Enfield or Ninja 250? Holy poo poo I'm going to die.

You eventually get used to your specific amount of control and maneuverability vs. The Wind, but it takes a bit.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Geirskogul posted:

Engine power and bike weight directly correlate to how jumpy I am on the highway. CB650/750? Just loving fine. 500 Enfield or Ninja 250? Holy poo poo I'm going to die.

You eventually get used to your specific amount of control and maneuverability vs. The Wind, but it takes a bit.

Inversely related.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My bike's felt anemic lately (B12) and I don't know why. Even my friend's ZZR600 feels faster right now. The torque is still *kind of* there but the bike just doesn't have arm-ripping balls like it used to. Not flat spots that I can see from riding, just generally... slower? Any ideas? Possibly a rejet?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Have you been working out?

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

PTFE lube is relatively easy to wash away, and can attract dirt and moisture, but silicone sticks around and is more actively water-repellent.

(You can get combined PTFE and silicone lube if you're feeling kinky)

Nah, PTFE is incredibly hydrophobic (thanks to all the fluorines) and dries to a dry-ish paste so it doesn't collect dirt and dust as easily. It's also fantastically useless at conducting electricity so would be ideal for electrical applications such as switchgear. I can't really comment on how well it 'clings' compared to silicone lube but it seems to do a great job on my chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
How long have you been riding it?