Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
I used to see a young Edward Murrow, but now the blond sweatervest vision has taken over. Thanks, Tumblr! :aargh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I saw a news photo of Glenn Greenwald and his Hispanic partner and part of me thought 'that's Cecil and Carlos'. I'm terrified at what Night Vale is turning me into.

I wish I was still producing a community radio show about weird conspiracies, since we would have loved to have you on.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I'm just wondering, was the Cecil and Carlos relationship planned from the beginning?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Count Chocula posted:

I saw a news photo of Glenn Greenwald and his Hispanic partner

:eng101: David Miranda is Brazilian.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Golem II posted:

I'm just wondering, was the Cecil and Carlos relationship planned from the beginning?

My impression from the first couple episodes Carlos appeared in was that he either wasn't human or had some sort of weird hypnotic powers. The way everyone obsessed over him, the scientists he had with him being weirdly incompetent (studying clocks by sitting around it in a circle cooing?), and Tully the barber going mad after cutting his hair.

Or maybe the hair was actually a separate organism attached to his skull that controlled people around him.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Golem II posted:

Nothing was planned from the beginning.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Earwicker posted:

:eng101: David Miranda is Brazilian.

I've always understood 'Hispanic' to include both Spanish and Portuguese colonial countries - anyone with ancestry/linguistic ties to the Iberian peninsula. Is that wrong?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

CaptainPsyko posted:

I've always understood 'Hispanic' to include both Spanish and Portuguese colonial countries - anyone with ancestry/linguistic ties to the Iberian peninsula. Is that wrong?

Most Brazilians I know say they are Latino but not Hispanic because Hispanic means "Spanish speaking" and don't like to be assumed as Spanish speakers. Maybe it's just a personal preference thing. Or maybe it's a Spanish plot to trick people into thinking the Iberian peninsula really belongs to Spain and that Portuguese is just a "type of Spanish". Although some people say "Hispanic" does not include Spain itself.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 24, 2013

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Putting off the shortwave test tonight, looks like my transceiver is only putting out around 80 out of 200 watts.

I shall be listening to WtNV in my cave as the fumes from my soldering station waft around my mad scientist workstation.

Somehow this seems very appropriate.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Tres Burritos posted:

What would the nightvale craigslist look like? Someone needs to make that site.

Like South African craigslist with less sex and more sourceless dread, maybe.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Live show reports:

-Doing 4 shows at Geeksboro in Greensboro, NC 10/17 and 10/18. https://www.geeksboro.com Tickets go on sale Wednesday at 11am.
-Performing on Saturday October 5 at the LA Podcast Festival. Tickets available now. https://www.lapodfest.com
-Doing two shows in Los Angeles on Friday October 4 at the Largo with live weather from Sara Watkins (formerly of Nickel Creek). More info soon.
-Two October NYC shows are sold out, but we're looking into a possible warm-up show the night before (so 10/9) with just Cecil and Jason Webley. Smaller venue, smaller show, but still fun. No promises, but I'm trying.
-The first two weeks of November I'm taking a loving vacation. October is going to be exhausting.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

maxnmona posted:

We are currently meeting with a number of different publishers. So nothing confirmed but very likely. Any comic book we did probably wouldn't focus on the main characters from the podcast so everyone can stop panicking about what they'll look like.

If you put Cecil in to any degree, have his skin and hair be pure #000000 white, and have there be a message telling the reader to color him in however they like.

Edit: I just read about how you don't have any mental image for Cecil at all. Maybe just put a human-sized gap there and put message there telling them to draw him in however they want. "Instructions: Draw the truth."

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 26, 2013

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

BiggerJ posted:

If you put Cecil in to any degree, have his skin and hair be pure #000000 white, and have there be a message telling the reader to color him in however they like.

Put a "1" over his hair and a "2" over his skin like in a color by numbers book, but the legend has the two color names scratched out.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ariong posted:

Put a "1" over his hair and a "2" over his skin like in a color by numbers book, but the legend has the two color names scratched out.

Also dripping in blood with a tiny drawing/caption from Kevin going "reminds me of home...:allears:"

Izam
Jun 6, 2005
I like the idea of having a draw your own Cecil page, but some of the suggestions I feel have been a little too specific. He(?) may have some basic features, but all the details are personal preference. Something like this mockup is ambiguous enough to allow readers to freely create and immerse themselves in Night Vale without locking them into any particular preconception.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Izam posted:

I like the idea of having a draw your own Cecil page, but some of the suggestions I feel have been a little too specific. He(?) may have some basic features, but all the details are personal preference. Something like this mockup is ambiguous enough to allow readers to freely create and immerse themselves in Night Vale without locking them into any particular preconception.

I was thinking along the lines of there being at least one actual panel into which he could be drawn. I got the idea from this comic, in which the reader can draw any character they like into the cover and panels for the crossover.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

Uh... somebody made a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpM3kWQqRXY

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
http://blog.nextmarket.co/post/59425145709/a-conversation-with-welcome-to-night-vales-joseph-fink

Wow. I really cannot put up with those "What is your creative process? And also do you have a magic ball that helps you see into the future of what you're going to write?" questions, so good for you maxnmona.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I saw that Night Vale was bumped from its top spot by John Safran. I hope the Tumblr legions don't treat him too badly.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E7wKfyUizGA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DE7wKfyUizGA
Here's the most Night Vale moment of his career.

Anthony Weiner?

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Aug 27, 2013

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Somebody else made a trailer for Night Vale as a summer blockbuster movie. It's pretty much just a montage of shots of everything vaguely Night Vale-ish, but the Apache Tracker got a good laugh out of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK7MsOsYM4g

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Has anyone made a Fallout: New Vegas mod yet? Arcade Gannon's model would make a good Cecil if someone wanted to put a physical station in the game.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Leospeare posted:

Somebody else made a trailer for Night Vale as a summer blockbuster movie. It's pretty much just a montage of shots of everything vaguely Night Vale-ish, but the Apache Tracker got a good laugh out of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK7MsOsYM4g

S/he also made one specifically for Summer Reading Program.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Count Chocula posted:

I saw that Night Vale was bumped from its top spot by John Safran. I hope the Tumblr legions don't treat him too badly.

We are still #1 in the US! We've been, at various times, #1 in 8 other countries, but yeah those go up and down.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

maxnmona posted:

We are still #1 in the US! We've been, at various times, #1 in 8 other countries, but yeah those go up and down.

There definitely seems to be a good sized following in Brazil and Germany. In fact someone asked me a month ago about using my music in "the Brazilian Night Vale" (they said they'd already gotten your ok for the concept)

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon
I saw this thread when it was first posted and sort of ignored it because I am dumb as hell. Just started listening and holy poo poo I am hooked

Count Chocula posted:

Has anyone made a Fallout: New Vegas mod yet? Arcade Gannon's model would make a good Cecil if someone wanted to put a physical station in the game.

I would play through the entirety of New Vegas again if someone would do this :fap:

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Tickets for Greensboro, NC show on sale NOW gogogogogogogogo http://geeksboro.com/geeksboro-presents-welcome-to-night-vale-live/

Tickets for Largo in Los Angeles on sale at 11am Pacific.

Tickets for LA Podcast Festival (a completely different show than the Largo one) on sale now: https://www.lapodfest.com

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

maxnmona posted:

Tickets for Greensboro, NC show on sale NOW gogogogogogogogo http://geeksboro.com/geeksboro-presents-welcome-to-night-vale-live/

Tickets for Largo in Los Angeles on sale at 11am Pacific.

Tickets for LA Podcast Festival (a completely different show than the Largo one) on sale now: https://www.lapodfest.com

Are you guys all driving around in solid gold Rolex Royces yet? You should be.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

SquadronROE posted:

Are you guys all driving around in solid gold Rolex Royces yet? You should be.

I'm thinking of buying a new laptop to replace my lovely old Toshiba laptop that freezes and loses work at least 3 times a day. So yeah, I'd say we're unimaginably rich now.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
The fandom is getting super organized.

Looks like basically a week to push people to get very creative. Probably going to be some awesome things made (and some of the usual "was that really necessary?" fandom stuff).

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

maxnmona posted:

I'm thinking of buying a new laptop to replace my lovely old Toshiba laptop that freezes and loses work at least 3 times a day. So yeah, I'd say we're unimaginably rich now.

Good. I hope my purchase of a single t-shirt was able to directly cause that.

In exchange for my financial support I have a list of suggestions that you should do, for instance Cecil:

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Oct 4 LA show on sale in 15 minutes: http://largo.laughstub.com/show.cfm?id=270749&cart

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Annakie posted:

The fandom is getting super organized.

Looks like basically a week to push people to get very creative. Probably going to be some awesome things made (and some of the usual "was that really necessary?" fandom stuff).

What is a "headcanon discussion"?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

What is a "headcanon discussion"?

I don't know how it starts, but it usually ends with accusations of racism and people un-following people.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I think "headcanon" means "things you imagine about the characters lives that aren't in the story but are still maybe plausible according to the defined universe".

For example people will write up all kinds of imaginary internal monologues going on in Sherlock's head whenever Watson looks at him a certain way, or conversations between the two of them that simply occur not in front of the camera.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

All I know is that I get a bunch of emails every day demanding that we say exactly what Cecil and Carlos look like, and then a bunch of other emails every day demanding that we never make official a single detail of what they look like.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

You should tell people that Cecil and Carlos look exactly like you and Jeffrey. Then people will be drawing you and painting you and carving your faces into mountains and you will become gods.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is tomorrow the new episode?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
The podcast update on the first and the fifteenth, so I'm guessing new episode Sunday.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Got my ticket for the October 17th 10 PM Greensboro show!

Can't believe it; working through Paypal was the loving worst.
I'm super excited though. Been a fan of this thing since the first episode dropped. Glad to see the well-deserved success for you guys. Glad I'm going to get a first hand experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

I'm not sure why they did it through Paypal. Would not have been my chosen method, but the venue arranged it.