Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

monster on a stick posted:

A totally-not-Settlers of Catan game on a whiteboard

Also they only have a piece of plastic as a prototype.

Also catch this before it is shutdown by Disney:
"Star Wars: The Old Republic - Revan" - Fan Film

I mean, it's just a fan film, Disney can't shut them down over using their trademark or...

Oh

Also why is Zoidberg in a star wars "movie"?

Lucasfilm (or whatever entity used to own the Star Wars trademark) actually encourages fans to do stuff like this. I don't know if Disney will continue that tradition, but it's worked pretty well for the property so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Berserk starts in this ultraviolence place and then quickly goes to real dark sexual thing. The entire series is like Moby Dick if Moby Dick was about rape.

Not like, in a bad way. But the entire thing is filled with pretty horrific rape imagery and metaphors (and in the case of Gut's childhood, just normal rape!).

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Anyway, this obviously isn't serious, but here it is, the natural endpoint of all of these minimalist wallet kickstarters.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

neongrey posted:

Anyway, this obviously isn't serious, but here it is, the natural endpoint of all of these minimalist wallet kickstarters.

Flexible funding, I see. :haw:

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Noni posted:

Flexible funding, I see. :haw:

At least they can deliver the "product" regardless of the final score is.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

neongrey posted:

Going by the quote section, I think this is a joke.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

A totally-not-Settlers of Catan game on a whiteboard
Also they only have a piece of plastic as a prototype.

Am I alone thinking that spinners do an exceptionally lovely job of providing random numbers? For Christ's sake, incorporate a dice app. (But for that matter, you could just make your own "Hex Island" game from scratch using a white dry-erase board...)

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/choice-texas-a-very-serious-game

A game about abortion being programmed by two writers and an illustrator to further a political message. This will turn out well...

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079683212/miley-f-cking-cyrus-shirts?ref=category

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Canada's planning a trip to the moon, right? Maybe if I ask really nicely, they'll take me with them.

And leave me there.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Also why is Zoidberg in a star wars "movie"?

They couldn't afford any of the cool aliens.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

OrganizedInsanity posted:

A game about abortion being programmed by two writers and an illustrator to further a political message. This will turn out well...

It's about half-way to funded already. I'm not sure how exactly they could make a game outta this, But hey, if they can hire some programmers and make something decent, good on them.

Yare
Jan 9, 2008
Legend

UncleSmoothie posted:

This is some pretty classic Awful Kickstarter right here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1997247042/gridiron-thunder-awesome-indie-football-game-for-o?ref=search

Gridiron Thunder is going to be like no other football video game you've ever played. Why? Because the devs understand fun. What's fun about Gridiron Thunder is that the players onscreen will do AMAZING touchdown celebrations. And that seems to be about it.

This is truly my favourite awful Kickstarter in weeks. It has it all.
  • Hilari-bad gameplay video of a game supposedly shipping in two weeks.
  • Unsubstantiated claims of having the notoriously difficult-to-acquire NFL license (including an image of Bill Belicheck, who opts out of every video game)
  • suspiciously high average donation (80 grand from just over 100 backers)
  • OUYA
  • Absolutely no indication of where the money is going
and much, much more. Do not miss the video.

This game is being developed by Chucklenauts, for a company called MogoTXT. I know the Chucklenauts dudes, and the story behind this is unfortunate. OUYA was supposed to directly fund MogoTXT to make the game, but OUYA flipped and changed the deal when they had the brilliant idea to run the Hunger Games Fund instead. So a game that had just started development a few weeks prior and had months to go before shipping... had to scramble to put something up on a Kickstarter nobody planned for and ship something afterward ASAP to get paid. At least they're planning on releasing regular updates after launch until the game is good and polished.

The Chucklenauts guys are professionals, and the game will eventually be great. They've been put in a stressful situation by their publisher where they have to show off things at a stage when nobody should ever see them, because OUYA doesn't have their business together.

I think the same thing happened to another game or two, if you look through the other Games Fund Kickstarters you can see signs of it.

Why do people make video games? :iiam:

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)

I'm not sure how prices are in Mr. Levine's neighborhood in New York, NY, but here in Europe where everything costs triple a new Catan is still half the price of a videogame. Also you get two little cloth baggies where you can fit the whole thing including cards, small enough to fit into a tiny little side pocket of your man satchel - much more portable than a bigass vinyl plate, I might add.

"Cumbersome and costly". :butt:

miguelito has a new favorite as of 21:31 on Aug 27, 2013

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Also catch this before it is shutdown by Disney:
"Star Wars: The Old Republic - Revan" - Fan Film

The project posted:

We have contacted Lucas Arts, and BioWare, for legal consent and permission to use the book's content as our guide for story boarding. Having done so, we have also contacted Drew Karpyshyn, the author of the book, for official rights to carry out the production of this film.

I guess there could be problems using the logos, but a C&D on that front wouldn't have much impact on anything other than the aesthetics of marketing materials.

e: Ha, they also could have just contacted those groups, but haven't actually received permission. If that's the case, then holy cow that's a misleading statement.

Achmed Jones has a new favorite as of 22:05 on Aug 27, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

I guess there could be problems using the logos, but a C&D on that front wouldn't have much impact on anything other than the aesthetics of marketing materials.

"Contact" =/= "Have received permission from". They could get a "Hell no, you can't use the Star Wars name" back.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

PrinceRandom posted:

It's about half-way to funded already. I'm not sure how exactly they could make a game outta this, But hey, if they can hire some programmers and make something decent, good on them.

One of them styles herself as a programmer though. It would be sorta cool to have a paper's please kinda game but it looks like a depressing visual novel

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)
It's not a misleading statement at all, the FF7 fan film guys said exactly the same. Only a fool or someone in an extreme hurry would ever assume "contacting" to refer to anything mutual.

I will admit thought that following up with "Having done so..." is pretty elegant and smart use of grammar-based obfuscation.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

I'm really not sure if there isn't some sort of bot running the ouya twitter.

"Will you look into the scam?" "FOOTBALL FOOTBALL GET SOME"

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

OrganizedInsanity posted:

I can't express how dissapointed I am that the political message is also about abortion. I wanted a congressional budget allegory, dammit!

quote:

We are billing Choice: Texas as “a very serious game,” and we mean that.

Is there any context this line could bode well in?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

I can't express how dissapointed I am that the political message is also about abortion. I wanted a congressional budget allegory, dammit!

Is it me or did anyone else hoped this was Chris Fields' doing? He does live in Texas, you know.

(If you don't know who Chris Fields is, look through the FATAL and Friends thread in Traditional Games. Or, maybe, better yet, don't.)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon sequel.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Is it me or did anyone else hoped this was Chris Fields' doing? He does live in Texas, you know.

(If you don't know who Chris Fields is, look through the FATAL and Friends thread in Traditional Games. Or, maybe, better yet, don't.)

Oh god FATAL would make for the best kickstarter ever.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Elissia posted:

Oh god FATAL would make for the best kickstarter ever.

You could make the various oraface max circumferance tables "STRETCH GOALS." :downsrim:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

gently caress, the name of their project is even "Choice: Texas, a Very Serious Game".

I really want to see that subtitle follow something like "Don't poo poo Your Pants, a Very Serious Game", or "Big Mutha Truckers, a Very Serious Game," or maybe "Imagine: Party Babyz, a Very Serious Game".

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Choice: Texas, Games Are ART, Dammit!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DStecks posted:

gently caress, the name of their project is even "Choice: Texas, a Very Serious Game".

I really want to see that subtitle follow something like "Don't poo poo Your Pants, a Very Serious Game", or "Big Mutha Truckers, a Very Serious Game," or maybe "Imagine: Party Babyz, a Very Serious Game".

"Saints Row IV: A Very Serious Game".

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Settlers of Catan can gently caress off. Oh here's a computer game for you be happy! What do you mean you want online multiplayer?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

e: Ha, they also could have just contacted those groups, but haven't actually received permission. If that's the case, then holy cow that's a misleading statement.

The one I love is contacting the author of the book for an intellectual property rights matter. He wrote the book, but, since he was/is an employee of Bioware and did it under their brand, he has no real say in the matter.

MBPearls
Jan 25, 2005
the Blueline Goddess

Elissia posted:

I'm really not sure if there isn't some sort of bot running the ouya twitter.

"Will you look into the scam?" "FOOTBALL FOOTBALL GET SOME"

The math isn't adding up on the Kickstarter... doing very quick calculations, I have $73,000ish unaccounted for from backers (all the backer stuff seems t come up just past $5000). What the heck?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

MBPearls posted:

The math isn't adding up on the Kickstarter... doing very quick calculations, I have $73,000ish unaccounted for from backers (all the backer stuff seems t come up just past $5000). What the heck?

You can pledge more than the minimum for a tier. Technically, if you wanted, you could pledge $10k and select no reward.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

miguelito posted:

I'm not sure how prices are in Mr. Levine's neighborhood in New York, NY, but here in Europe where everything costs triple a new Catan is still half the price of a videogame. Also you get two little cloth baggies where you can fit the whole thing including cards, small enough to fit into a tiny little side pocket of your man satchel - much more portable than a bigass vinyl plate, I might add.

"Cumbersome and costly". :butt:

Yes, but you can play this version of "I Can't Believe it's not Settlers" when you're skydiving, waterskiing, or on a rollercoaster. Try that with the board version of a game that's not Settlers.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Depending on how you feel about Real Life Superheroes this is either the best or worst crowdfunding campaign.

PHOENIX JONES NEEDS PHAZZER!!!

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Depending on how you feel about Real Life Superheroes this is either the best or worst crowdfunding campaign.

God, I hate that man. I wish a real opposition to him would come out into the open.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

7thBatallion posted:

God, I hate that man. I wish a real opposition to him would come out into the open.

Like many lame superheros, he's got a much more stylish rogue's gallery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivkzosgyx-U

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

There are knockoff Tazers? Really?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Otisburg posted:

Like many lame superheros, he's got a much more stylish rogue's gallery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivkzosgyx-U

Oh man, I almost liked that.

Leninboarrir
May 11, 2006

stupid monster

I could see this selling extremely well.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

One day he's going to get shot, and we're all going to have to pretend to be shocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Leninboarrir posted:

I could see this selling extremely well.

When you flex your pecs she twerks!!