Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Is it just me or is it a lot easier to score high glove side, especially with a lefty shooter cutting from the top of the right circle into the slot? The goalies seem to bite and slide over to the middle of the net more often than before.

On the other hand, I seem to remember this being the case for the NHL 13 demo too and it got patched/tuner'd out within a few weeks.

i am not so sure posted:

So I wanna do another SAS GM Connected this year but what ruined it last time for me was maybe five or six players who were so absurdly stupidly good that it wasn't fun. Same few guys were in the finals every time, every time I played one of them I got blown out. I wanna do another league this year but only for players who are intermediate. Anyone up for that?

I don't think I'm even going to bother getting this game until it's more clear that there have actually been substantial improvements to EASHL/GMC. Picking positions in the team select screen is the only one that seems promising right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

i am not so sure posted:

So I wanna do another SAS GM Connected this year but what ruined it last time for me was maybe five or six players who were so absurdly stupidly good that it wasn't fun. Same few guys were in the finals every time, every time I played one of them I got blown out. I wanna do another league this year but only for players who are intermediate. Anyone up for that?

I might be up for it. I'm getting it on the PS3 though. What system will you have it on?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Kragger99 posted:

I might be up for it. I'm getting it on the PS3 though. What system will you have it on?

Same

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Perennial "good against AI but poo poo against players" playoff choker Coyotes would also like to join up.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Rutkowski posted:

Perennial "good against AI but poo poo against players" playoff choker Coyotes would also like to join up.

Kidding me? Other than the very top guys you were scoring like 10 goals a game against the worse players.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

eXXon posted:

Is it just me or is it a lot easier to score high glove side, especially with a lefty shooter cutting from the top of the right circle into the slot? The goalies seem to bite and slide over to the middle of the net more often than before.

I have't tried the demo yet, but that was the super easy way to score in nhl 13 too. I had all my right wingers as lefties.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

i am not so sure posted:

Kidding me? Other than the very top guys you were scoring like 10 goals a game against the worse players.

I did that once, other than that I only had a relatively large winning record against some players in the first season and by the second most if not all returning players had caught up with me. poo poo, the dude I beat that big won our next ge, IIRC.

But yeah I probably should stay away from a goon GMC if I were considered dominant considering I got my rear end handed to me pretty much every time I met one of the actually dominant players ie Edmonton, Montreal, Rangers, Minnesota and some others.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I remember I beat bradford by 11 goals once :smuggo:

Hopefully GMC isn't total poo poo again. That was fun. I wish they gave the option to play shorter seasons though

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Maybe I'm just used to relatively high level versus but me vig and boxc grinded the gently caress out of NHL 13. Most common score was 2-1 or 3-1. You guys were actually having 10 goal games? Can't even imagine that.

e: then again we kinda defaulted to a trap + rangers style collapse in zone because we couldn't score for poo poo

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 26, 2013

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

T-Bone posted:

Maybe I'm just used to relatively high level versus but me vig and boxc grinded the gently caress out of NHL 13. Most common score was 2-1 or 3-1. You guys were actually having 10 goal games? Can't even imagine that.
I was in a really bad mood and met a dude new to the league and after he scored the first early I subsequently pummeled him by scoring 15 goals.

At the end(like, after eight goals or so) I stopped trying to score but no matter what weak wrister or dumpin I sent away they somehow found the back of the net.

I started out hoping to try to play a grinding game because I find it to be a lot of fun but since my hybrid goaltenders kept letting in weak wristers from the blueline(seriously, every third goal in my second season was a Cloutier fuckup) and nobody wanted to trade away a butterfly goaltender with a rating above 80 and we banned AI trading I quickly gave up that idea and bet on scoring a lot, hoping it'd help my young skaters develop nicely in that area.

They didn't. Bödker, for example, went 79-80-80 in three seasons despite scoring, IIRC, 41 goals in the first season and 81 in the second.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

There was this game where I rage quit because I was convinced your were cheating. I played you pretty well but you scored something like 9 goals on your first 12 shots and they were almost all point slappers. It made no sense

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

i am not so sure posted:

There was this game where I rage quit because I was convinced your were cheating. I played you pretty well but you scored something like 9 goals on your first 12 shots and they were almost all point slappers. It made no sense

My psn name should be the same. I haven't really played much online of NHL - mostly play Pro level SP stuff. I'm not really sure what's involved in the GM Connected mode. Maybe send me a PM here so it doesn't crap up the thread (unless that's not an issue here).

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I remember I beat bradford by 11 goals once :smuggo:

That game was glorious. I think my goalies had a 0.250 SV%.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

T-Bone posted:

e: then again we kinda defaulted to a trap + rangers style collapse in zone because we couldn't score for poo poo

Brad may or may have not been much drunker than I. I think.

Most times, our league games were pretty competitive on xbox. I loved the playoffs. Had lots of good series and built up a lot of rivalries that way

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Yeah the GMC games were fun when the lag wasn't atrocious.

gently caress Menus.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Hockles and I a crazy playoff battle in my last year.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

der juicen posted:

Hockles and I a crazy playoff battle in my last year.

I don't think there was a single game that Pleads and I played that didn't go to overtime.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
GMC would have been fun, if not for the C.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Brad may or may have not been much drunker than I. I think.

Most times, our league games were pretty competitive on xbox. I loved the playoffs. Had lots of good series and built up a lot of rivalries that way

Oh man, now I remember that. Yes, I was indeed drunker than you. When sober most of the Goon games went to OT or were settled in the final few minutes and laden with hits, with a couple of exceptions where goalies were just dumb.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

All games, sober or not, were packed with hits. I had a number of games where both teams combined for 80+ hits haha.

The playoffs were the best. I would switch my lines around to make sure I had lines full of speed and hitting. I had a line of Kreider-Brule-Boyle that just loving destroyed people. Kreider must have injured at least 3-4 Capitals in his career. Whenever I was losing, I'd just roll my big checking lines heavy and try to hurt people. Good times.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

In case you give a poo poo about attributes:

http://www.easports.com/nhl/news-up...-player-ratings

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
They put PK Subban at #38 behind the likes of Kronwall and Seabrook.

:downsrim:

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!
What this list tells us?
a) at least 50 players, i.e. something close to 10% of the league's regulars, are 88 overall or better

b) if overall ratings are what determines the value of a player in EA's eyes, EA does not know how to value players vs. one another at all.

as a corollary...

c) overall ratings are garbage and you shouldn't pay attention to them.

I mean come the gently caress on. Kronwall and Seabrook are in no way shape or form the 30th best player/s in the league and better than every single one of those guys. For starters.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
John Tavares was already revealed to be at 86, so he doesn't even crack the top-50. I guess he is no Voracek or Pacioretty.

My assumption is that they have upgraded him since the demo was released. They have to, right?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Twin Cinema posted:

John Tavares was already revealed to be at 86, so he doesn't even crack the top-50. I guess he is no Voracek or Pacioretty.

My assumption is that they have upgraded him since the demo was released. They have to, right?

HUT ratings are not the same as normal ratings.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, HUT only has like 5 stats so that can cause some players to fluctuate quite a bit.

The top 10 is going to be Crosby, Ovechkin, and like 8 goalies.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Hockles posted:

HUT ratings are not the same as normal ratings.

Oh good.

Why is that? I never played HUT extensively enough to notice any difference.

e: Answered above.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, HUT only has like 5 stats so that can cause some players to fluctuate quite a bit.

HUT OVR = literally the mean (average) of these 5 stats

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

if Girardi is 88, McDonagh's gotta be 90 yo

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

Anders posted:

They put PK Subban at #38 behind the likes of Kronwall and Seabrook.

:downsrim:

Seabrook over Subban is slightly bad, but Kronwall can maybe compete for the top 250. Top 50? Really?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Robo-Pope posted:

Seabrook over Subban is slightly bad, but Kronwall can maybe compete for the top 250. Top 50? Really?

If you look at the full stats for Subban/Kronwall it makes a little more sense. They gave Subban a comically low discipline while Kronwall got super high blocking and checking, which throws off both of their OVR. Then if you break down the areas where Subban is rated higher, it's only a 1 point difference. But in the stats where Kronwall is higher, he has a 2 or 3 point advantage.

Out of 25 stats, the two players have the same number for 11 of them.

I know bitching about player ratings is an annual thing for EA sports games, but this specific case doesn't seem too bad.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I think another reason why the HUT ratings are different is that they probably trend them down a little bit, to encourage you to use booster cards to get their stats higher.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Overall ratings are stupid. Crosby is not a big hitter but to make sure he's in the top 3 overall his physical category will be high for an example. They should drop the overalls and just focus on the right stats for the player type.

Texas A. Wreckus
Aug 20, 2006

Welcome to the OVal Office
Neal = Kessel = Kane :psyduck:

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

Joink posted:

Overall ratings are stupid. Crosby is not a big hitter but to make sure he's in the top 3 overall his physical category will be high for an example. They should drop the overalls and just focus on the right stats for the player type.

Or to keep the OVRs accurate while making those corrections, they could improve the OVR formula. Nobody is expected to be great at everything. It should account for that somehow.

Or just add some weight to speed and skill and take some away from size and grit. Not that the latter isn't important, but it's clearly exerting more weight on OVR than it should.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Crosby should have nothing but 99's since he's the successor to Gretzky.

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!

Vigilance posted:

Crosby should have nothing but 99's since he's the successor to Gretzky.

Gretz was what in '13...a 95 or 96 overall?

1985 Gretzky would probably be like 130 OVR.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Finally got around trying the demo and it seems like good update to 13. Not 60d good more like 20d but what can you do. Played on superstar scoring seems to be harder, shots fail much more often than on 13 if someone is anywhere near the shooter, which I think is better than before but sometimes you'd think the player would get better shot off even when pressured. Three little improvements that I liked. No more just blowing past the defenders, I din't get one easy breakaway when on 13 there would have been atleast one goal per game. Players seem to be able to take saucer passes down. NHL 13 saucer pass was some magical thing that could not be touched no matter how slow it was coming even if you were nick lidstrom with great positon to take it down. Getting pinned on boards is now worse deal to the attacker which is I think is good.

AI still sucks like always in situations that aren't really clear cut. They don't seem to have any idea where airbourne puck is going to land or where they should positon themself on many situations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I wouldn't mind if they dropped OVR completely and just did letter grades. All the "Superstar" players are A or A+, and you can go into their profile to get specific numbered stats.

Obviously they'd never do that, but it would help cut a lot of the bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011
Its more so the fact that guys doing OVR are stuck in this "ALL NHL PLAYERS MUST BE 80 OVERALL". There is maybe 5-10 players who deserve to be 90+. 100 who maybe deserve to be 80-90. 100-150 who classify as 70-80, and the rest 60-70.

• Locked thread