Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Stumpus posted:

Has anyone tried War of Eclipse? Looks interesting.

Post a link next time so people can understand what you're talking about.

http://appshopper.com/games/war-of-eclipse

It looks okay but the screenshots don't say much, and neither does the description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
For Blackbar, a lot of the time it helps to go back over previous letters to pick out key words.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

goferchan posted:

Le Havre is a really fairly complicated (but cool) adaptation of a worker placement/resource management board game. Cut your teeth on Agricola or something first, if you haven't already.

The iPhone version feels REALLY cramped, there's a lot of information to display on the scren

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Fat Samurai posted:

The iPhone version feels REALLY cramped, there's a lot of information to display on the scren

Oh yeah, it's pretty crowded. It seems like it would be WAY easier to learn the game in real life and then play on iOS -- as opposed to Agricola where the in-game tutorial provides a way better learning experience than the lovely rulebook.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Bummey posted:

Post a link next time so people can understand what you're talking about.

http://appshopper.com/games/war-of-eclipse

It looks okay but the screenshots don't say much, and neither does the description.

Yeah, I thought about that. There were two reasons I chose not too:

1. I was on my phone, and it would be a huge hassle for me.

2. I figured that anyone who could answer the question would not need the link as they would have already played it and heard of it. :smugdog:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Stumpus posted:

Yeah, I thought about that. There were two reasons I chose not too:

1. I was on my phone, and it would be a huge hassle for me.

2. I figured that anyone who could answer the question would not need the link as they would have already played it and heard of it. :smugdog:

I posted that from my phone, too. It takes, like, two minutes to load up AppShopper, type in the app name, and click the Share button to find a URL.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Rokstar posted:

Is that the "It'll be my job to ___ ___ ___ to people" part? Unfortunately I don't really have good hints for that, I'll just say since the first blank is 2 letters to keep trying 2-letter words until you get it, then hopefully the rest will be easier.

That poo poo is meta as gently caress.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Blackbar was pretty great, the only puzzle I thought was lame was the "where is the resistance located" one. The hint for that one is irrelevant in every other puzzle in the game and the answer isn't even a real word!

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

ZerodotJander posted:

Blackbar was pretty great, the only puzzle I thought was lame was the "where is the resistance located" one. The hint for that one is irrelevant in every other puzzle in the game and the answer isn't even a real word!

THIS ONE PISSED ME OFF SO MUCH. I had to google it. I don't even understand it after knowing the answer.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

leftover posted:

THIS ONE PISSED ME OFF SO MUCH. I had to google it. I don't even understand it after knowing the answer.
Explanation:
The capital letters in the letter spell it out.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Completed the game 'Shelter'. It was a free game (priced, but was free during weekend) with no IAP so I was happy to have a go at it.

Game's a TCG where you get to build your deck and go around Bristol area (UK) killing zombies and looting stuff, and eventually reuniting with your loved one. This is where the game ends though.

There are different types of zombies, and they will attack the barricades and your health will go down. Barricade doesn't matter much apart from delaying zombie hordes, but you lose when health reaches 0 though.

Game requires bit of thinking as your deck of guns have limited ammo while other cards are totally consumed (you can use Reload card to reload guns, as well as gun mod cards to upgrade a gun once.)

Overall game design was good, but it got slightly repetitive and was bit too short. Worth playing when you can grab it for free though.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010

Aesis posted:

Completed the game 'Shelter'. It was a free game (priced, but was free during weekend) with no IAP so I was happy to have a go at it.

Game's a TCG where you get to build your deck and go around Bristol area (UK) killing zombies and looting stuff, and eventually reuniting with your loved one. This is where the game ends though.

There are different types of zombies, and they will attack the barricades and your health will go down. Barricade doesn't matter much apart from delaying zombie hordes, but you lose when health reaches 0 though.

Game requires bit of thinking as your deck of guns have limited ammo while other cards are totally consumed (you can use Reload card to reload guns, as well as gun mod cards to upgrade a gun once.)

Overall game design was good, but it got slightly repetitive and was bit too short. Worth playing when you can grab it for free though.

I'm playing it right now, and there are some annoyances. Mechanics are poorly explained (I have no idea what dismember does). The grind to get new cards is also painful. Playing though an entire level for one random card pull sucks (Screwdriver? gently caress you.) There is nothing to do with worthless cards either so it is entirely pointless if you don't get what you want. I'll probably keep playing it when I have time to kill, but it isn't really gripping. It's sad too, it shows a lot of promise.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.
P and D is literally crack. I am playing a throwaway game to learn the dynamics, etc. while I wait for a Godfest. Just spent $5 to get magic stones so I could finish a dungeon, even though I will be erasing all this in the near future...

I have a bunch of these masks and they don't give hardly any exp for fusion, what are they for?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

JDM3 posted:

P and D is literally crack. I am playing a throwaway game to learn the dynamics, etc. while I wait for a Godfest. Just spent $5 to get magic stones so I could finish a dungeon, even though I will be erasing all this in the near future...

I have a bunch of these masks and they don't give hardly any exp for fusion, what are they for?

:stare: wow, well take some comfort that next Godfest should be Egyptian and with a Horus you may never need to stone again to beat a dungeon (seriously don't waste stones unless its a descended dungeon).

Mask a for evolution. When you max level most monster you can evolve it with the right material. If you look at the mask type it even says its a evo material.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

The Rokstar posted:

Explanation:
The capital letters in the letter spell it out.

:doh: god I'm dense. I did finally beat the game, and I think it was a bit short for the price tag.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
Maybe a little bit of a can of worms, but what are people's thoughts on Solstice Arena? I really want to like MOBAs- I really like the idea of them- but almost every aspect of their implementation that could irritate a person irritates me. SA seems different enough from LoL and DOTA to be worth a shot, but I'm curious what other people think about it.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Geburan posted:

I'm playing it right now, and there are some annoyances. Mechanics are poorly explained (I have no idea what dismember does). The grind to get new cards is also painful. Playing though an entire level for one random card pull sucks (Screwdriver? gently caress you.) There is nothing to do with worthless cards either so it is entirely pointless if you don't get what you want. I'll probably keep playing it when I have time to kill, but it isn't really gripping. It's sad too, it shows a lot of promise.

Before you hit Investigate, it does hint you what stuff to expect. So if it says 'military base blah blah guns' just hit on gun/gun mods only. That should give you weapons.

From my play I found out tools are useless, injection/bandages (should be obtainable from first aid or something. I forgot.) are handy, energy drink (+1 AP per turn) and first aid (+3 health per turn) are useful (both from first aid or whatever it's called) but only need 1 each, and having many guns and gun mods are handy.

You'd want to build your deck to have guns except AK47 (6 dmg 4 ap no thanks) and Hunting Rifle (3 dmg 3 ap no thanks), while having 2 default pistols can be handy. Magnum is good but only need 1.

I didn't even grind cards. All I did was just rush through main missions.

If you get lucky you can deploy gun cards at initial stage which helps to clear zombies from building up. But sometimes when you don't get any guns (not even default pistol) from initial deck? Just forfeit and restart mission.

E: also when you start the mission it should tell you what zombie boosters there are and how they work, so you can concentrate on killing those first.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 28, 2013

xarg
Sep 17, 2008

IF A MAN DRINK LIKE THAT AND HE DONT EAT HE IS GOING TO DIE

JDM3 posted:

And now I'm glad it's not available in Australia.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

xarg posted:

And now I'm glad it's not available in Australia.

Get an 'merica account and join us. Or do it the pro way and join the Japanese servers, they are always ahead on content and have a ton of stuff that no other country gets.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Shwqa posted:

Get an 'merica account and join us. Or do it the pro way and join the Japanese servers, they are always ahead on content and have a ton of stuff that no other country gets.

You'd even be conveniently close to their time zone!

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

goethe gear xx posted:

Regarding the paid heroes in Kingdom Rush: Frontiers: I got the game when it was on sale recently and really liked it so I went and bought some heroes, namely the dragon, the rock guy and the healer.

The dragon is definitely strong, and the part where it, you know, has wings is great for mobility. The fact that it is flying, though, makes him less reliable and less controllable as far as picking targets. While he can dish out some great damage, he's not really the best at stopping enemies that are slipping past my defenses, which is what I most often use my heroes for.

The healer I was curious to try, but due to her reliance on having a barracks nearby to be really useful, I ended up not using her that much.

The rock man is decent enough for stopping dudes, has great survivability and okay damage, so he's good for stopping single big enemy units. Still, if the objective is to stop and/or delay the enemy, you're still probably better off using either the beastmaster (my #1 choice) or the swordsman (haven't used him after unlocking other heroes, but his sandmen seem to be good as well).

I'm not regretting paying for the heroes, but I wouldn't call them much more useful compared to the trio of free guys you get. Still fun to use from time to time, though!

To add onto this, I bought the Protoss hero.

He's bonkers overpowered. He has three ranged AOE spells and one of them is an instagib that will immediately remove targets up to around 1500 combined health (the tooltip says 1000 but it lies). This is good because you can kind of aim it by placing the hero directly in front of a 1500hp meatshield and instagib it.

His best early spell is this little drone thing that flies around and kills everything. It pumps out 80dps -- more than any tower in the game -- and lasts for 3 seconds. He summons it pretty often.

He's got a chain-lightning thing that isn't flashy but can do tons of aoe damage.

One point in one of his skills makes him ignore armor completely and raises his base damage (up to ~50 total dmg@10).

And to finish it off, he ends up with Medium armor and 400 health at level 10. He can pretty easily solo most everything because he doesn't give a gently caress about armor and has so much damage output. If you throw him at a choke with some other barracks dudes he can pump out enough AOE damage that you really don't need much tower support.

His weakness is that he's melee and will get owned by ranged guys. The good news is that his final skill makes him explode for a shitton of damage when he dies -- and is conveniently timed so that the huge pile of ranged dudes that were attacking him are directly inside his death explosion.

DNK fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 28, 2013

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Maybe a little bit of a can of worms, but what are people's thoughts on Solstice Arena? I really want to like MOBAs- I really like the idea of them- but almost every aspect of their implementation that could irritate a person irritates me. SA seems different enough from LoL and DOTA to be worth a shot, but I'm curious what other people think about it.

Very simple to learn and the auto-buy option for your hero's gear seems to work just fine. However the game is extremely loving unbalanced, letting you come into the game with higher levels skills/spells than other players which lets you do more damage or have a bigger area of effect or what have you. People who've played longer than you will stomp your poo poo in not only because they're practiced, but because even using the same character and items, they'll be 2-3x more effective as you.

It also pesters you to death with messages and popups, turn off all notifications for it if you install

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

JDM3 posted:

No, I've got a better idea: get out while you still can.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I must be the only goon to play P&D for a couple of months and not care about it that much. I mean, it's okay, but I only really fire it up to get the daily login bonus and maybe play a few rounds every few days. I guess I just don't Get It.

That people sink real cash into this is beyond me.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
There aren't many iOS games that you can play for months, hooked or not. I've been getting into it more and more too. Is there a current P&D thread? The only one I'm finding is closed.

I partied up with an Owl last night that could do water or shadow(dark?) damage. Holy poo poo it was insanely powerful. As for leaders, can Water Mech Warrior Midgard carry me to endgame? I read a TA thread that lead me to believe he's good, but I still might reroll come Godfest.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?

The Royal Scrub posted:

There aren't many iOS games that you can play for months, hooked or not.

I've been playing D.O.T. (Defender of Texel) since last December. Don't know what it is about that game, but it's great for firing up every few hours. They change the events up every week with new fighters, so it never feels stale.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Royal Scrub posted:

There aren't many iOS games that you can play for months, hooked or not. I've been getting into it more and more too. Is there a current P&D thread? The only one I'm finding is closed.

I partied up with an Owl last night that could do water or shadow(dark?) damage. Holy poo poo it was insanely powerful. As for leaders, can Water Mech Warrior Midgard carry me to endgame? I read a TA thread that lead me to believe he's good, but I still might reroll come Godfest.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561415

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
I made an American account and got P&D and it is not worth the effort.

I assume you can play an ok match 3 game for a while with your regular scrub tier Pokemons before hitting a wall where deleting the game and redoing the tutorial 76 times for a rare guy was worth it.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Minus1Minus1 posted:

I like it, but it becomes stupidly easy and/or frustrating playing as/against higher level characters. I've pretty much maxed out my Hamhock to the point where I can kill an entire team of average levle players without issue.

Don't expect mactches 30-40 minutes in length like Dota 2 or LoL; there are no creeps so most matches end in 10-12 minutes max.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Captain Matchbox posted:

I assume you can play an ok match 3 game for a while with your regular scrub tier Pokemons before hitting a wall where deleting the game and redoing the tutorial 76 times for a rare guy was worth it.

PAD can be boring early game but once you start getting some monsters it becomes a challenge. It can be frustrating at times though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Captain Matchbox posted:

I don't think odds are too bad during a Godfest although with anything random there's a chance you'll get screwed. I couldn't really tell you, though, because I got this babe on my first roll :smug:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Edit^^^ great kid, don't get cocky.

Captain Matchbox posted:

You can beat the game with out paying IAP or having a starter god. The starter dragons last form has the same leadership ability as the main color top tier gods, but worse stats and a terrible ability. The fire starter Mons is likely your best bet. It just takes you 3-4 months longer to get to the end game compared to the 3 days of rerolling.

Also save literally every free stone for a good Godfest, until you finally have something good. You can get a total of 120ish free ones, not including the free 7 the seem to give out every other week or log in bonuses. You will get a god with that many stones.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 28, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Captain Matchbox posted:

Yep!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Shwqa posted:

Edit^^^ great kid, don't get cocky.

Yeah I'm actually pretty lovely at the game, I really like her ability though -- it makes for fun puzzling trying to hook up the 3-color combos.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
If you don't want to pimp out a big rig with chandeliers and poo poo get the gently caress outta this iOS games thread. Currently burning up the charts at #13 on the Japanese App Store.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Leveling up trucks? Sold.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
The PAD Facebook group has stumbled on a PAD-like that's trivia instead of puzzles.

http://appshopper.com/games/quiz-rpg-the-world-of-mystic-wiz

My friend list is full but you should follow me anyway - I'm Bizzle and my quote is FAIRLIO!!! and my leader is hilariously OP.

Also my invite code is AG4PKRSW if people want to start a referral chain or something.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Heads up: the epilogue update to The Room is supposed to be this week.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Oh gently caress yes more puzzle boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Corridor posted:

That people sink real cash into this is beyond me.

Congratulations! You are a well-adjusted human being capable of rational decisions. You are not the target demographic.

• Locked thread