Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

brenter posted:

Got my new system all setup. Its a 5.1 system and I'm wondering on subwoofer placement. It would fit perfect in the corner of the room. Any thoughts on putting it in the corner?

Give it a try. It should be louder/more efficient in the corner due to boundary gain, however it could cause resonances that make it sound "boomy" (slow decay).

Try putting the sub where you will be sitting, put on a bass heavy music track that you're familiar with, and then crawl around the room at subwoofer level and see where the bass sounds tightest and also loudest. That's where your sub should be placed. If you can't put it there, pick the least-worst place that youre fine with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

sonicice posted:

Fry's has the Denon AVR-E400 on sale for $317 this week. Seems like a pretty good deal... thoughts on the receiver?

No banana plugs, no legacy ports. If those aren't a big deal for you go for it.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk

sonicice posted:

Fry's has the Denon AVR-E400 on sale for $317 this week. Seems like a pretty good deal... thoughts on the receiver?

This seems like a pretty awesome deal. I was going to going to get an Onkyo NR515. This is clearly better in every way, right? Besides a couple extra HDMI inputs.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

jonathan posted:

There should be a built in fuse in the receiver. Check to see if it can be replaced. It's possible the fuse just burned.

I actually had a VSX-1021-K go out in a similar fashion a while ago. Turned it on, puff of smoke, now just gives an error when I turn it on. Can't do anything with it. I ended up replacing it recently (with a VSX-1023-K which seems to be a bit of a downgrade unfortunately), but I still have it kicking around. Any tips on how to replace said fuse? I can't seem to find anything with some quick google searches.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pizza Club posted:

This seems like a pretty awesome deal. I was going to going to get an Onkyo NR515. This is clearly better in every way, right? Besides a couple extra HDMI inputs.

Yes. I would choose either this or the Onkyo 616 for about the same price through A4L.

The Onkyo might have a better amp, but the Denon has Audyssey MultEQ which is more advanced than the Onkyo's 2eq.

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.

jonathan posted:

I'm going to say no. That receiver is a THX certified receiver, which means the amp(s) are capable of driving decent speakers to reference levels without distortion, and they're 4 ohm capable. There was an issue with it early on that was fixed by a firmware upgrade. I'd go for it, you aren't going to find anything more powerful really.

Thanks for the recommendation. I read in the descriptions for the 616 that the THX is meant for a speaker-to-seat distance of 10-12 feet, but my room is about 8 feet speaker-to-seat. In my case, is the 515 fine? It seems to have all of the features but no THX, according to a comparison chart on Amazon, and it's $60 less.

edit: maybe the Denon? Although for that price I could just get the 616

Lediur fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 26, 2013

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

ddogflex posted:

I actually had a VSX-1021-K go out in a similar fashion a while ago. Turned it on, puff of smoke, now just gives an error when I turn it on. Can't do anything with it. I ended up replacing it recently (with a VSX-1023-K which seems to be a bit of a downgrade unfortunately), but I still have it kicking around. Any tips on how to replace said fuse? I can't seem to find anything with some quick google searches.

Man I'm glad I bought a 1019 instead of a 1020 or later. Seems like that particular line really started to have QC problems after the 1019.

I'm looking to upgrade to a Marantz next, the SR6008 perhaps. I had an NAD T770 and a T762 back in the day when I was young and foolish with my money.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Dogen posted:

Man I'm glad I bought a 1019 instead of a 1020 or later. Seems like that particular line really started to have QC problems after the 1019.

I'm looking to upgrade to a Marantz next, the SR6008 perhaps. I had an NAD T770 and a T762 back in the day when I was young and foolish with my money.

Yeah, it was really smart of me to replace it with a 1023 too. Uhg. It was a really good deal though. And I like the Pioneers. :smith:

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I need some advice on subwoofer placement. I picked up a Klipsch rw12d when they were on sale at newegg recently, but I'm a little restricted on where I can put it. I'm renting an apartment that has a bit of an odd layout, I'm attaching a quick draft of my setup (not to scale) as a .png. The possible locations I have for the sub are the green rectangles marked 1 and 2; this is due to the availability of wall outlets and other restrictions- absent from the bottom half of the image are a dining table, another chair, bookcases, fireplace, etc. Originally I had the sub between the speakers (marked S) just to verify connections and such but I'm not getting the bass that I want from it, so I really need to get it up against a wall. Problem with position S1 is that then it is only about 8 inches away from the closest floorstanding speaker. Problem with position 2 is that now the sub would be behind the TV on its stand. Asterisks mark the location of wall outlets. Is having the sub partially behind a piece of furniture better than having it near another speaker?

I should probably point out that because only one of those wall outlets accommodates 3 pronged plugs, I cannot move the hifi to the other wall outlet and put the sub where the hifi currently is.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Listerine fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 28, 2013

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
This may seem like a weird question: considering how a receiver can downmix surround sound to 3.1 (so that the surround channels get sent to the front speakers), would it be OK to just run my surround speakers right alongside the fronts?

Background : I've been using a 3.1 setup for quite some time (Polk Monitor 50s and CS10 center, PSW10 sub, Denon 1713). I recently got Monitors 60s for cheap to use as new fronts, and I'm using the 50s as surrounds (raised them up a bit with some furniture.)

Not happy with this setup to be honest. It looks dorky and doesn't sound good to me. The 50s are just too loud and distracting, even after running Audyssey and disabling Dynamic EQ.

So I was thinking of placing them beside the fronts to have some sort of super-wide soundstage (after re-running Aydyssey of course). Will it sound terrible?

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

pofcorn posted:

This may seem like a weird question: considering how a receiver can downmix surround sound to 3.1 (so that the surround channels get sent to the front speakers), would it be OK to just run my surround speakers right alongside the fronts?

Background : I've been using a 3.1 setup for quite some time (Polk Monitor 50s and CS10 center, PSW10 sub, Denon 1713). I recently got Monitors 60s for cheap to use as new fronts, and I'm using the 50s as surrounds (raised them up a bit with some furniture.)

Not happy with this setup to be honest. It looks dorky and doesn't sound good to me. The 50s are just too loud and distracting, even after running Audyssey and disabling Dynamic EQ.

So I was thinking of placing them beside the fronts to have some sort of super-wide soundstage (after re-running Aydyssey of course). Will it sound terrible?

One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions. Try it out and see what happens.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Just an FYI to anyone looking to buy new speakers. The Andrew Jones (from TAD) designed Pioneer bookshelf speakers are $50 off right now, only $79/pair. These things come highly reviewed.

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose

BANME.sh posted:

Just an FYI to anyone looking to buy new speakers. The Andrew Jones (from TAD) designed Pioneer bookshelf speakers are $50 off right now, only $79/pair. These things come highly reviewed.

Ordered, but oh god 1 - 2 month ship time.

edit: any recommendations on a center channel speaker to pair with these?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Congobongo posted:

Ordered, but oh god 1 - 2 month ship time.

edit: any recommendations on a center channel speaker to pair with these?

There's a Pioneer one, just click the button below the price.

DawntoDust
Dec 11, 2006

Glory is Fleeting,
Obscurity is Forever
I've been using a pair of hand-me-down Sansui S-720U floor standing speakers that I'm guessing are from the 80's (8ohm/max 160W) with a Denon DRA-397 receiver for basically music only. Would it be stupid to replace these with something modern like those Pioneer PS-FS52 speakers?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Assuming I can get Best Buy to Price Beat™ it's sister store Future Shop, how good of a deal is a Polk PSW10 at $80 (USD ~$75)?

Only have a 2.0 set up right now with the Pioneer bookshelf speakers.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 31, 2013

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mister Macys posted:

Assuming I can get Future Shop to Price Beat™ it's sister store Best Buy, how good of a deal is a Polk PSW10 at $80 (USD ~$75)?

Only have a 2.0 set up right now with the Pioneer bookshelf speakers.

It's about $99.99 everywhere else, so $20 off isn't too bad of a deal.

DawntoDust posted:

I've been using a pair of hand-me-down Sansui S-720U floor standing speakers that I'm guessing are from the 80's (8ohm/max 160W) with a Denon DRA-397 receiver for basically music only. Would it be stupid to replace these with something modern like those Pioneer PS-FS52 speakers?

Do they sound funky, like empty plywood boxes being yelled into, or crackling sound, or no matter what the source or type of file, they sound really flat?

If not, I don't think it's really worth the upgrade, but without hearing them in person, or finding any reviews on that particular model, I cannot comment.

One experiment to try is to find a friend with newer speakers and have them hooked up to your setup; if it sounds the same, the problem is somewhere else, like EQ or your receiver being weird, or there is no problem. If they sound immediately better (after EQing) then you definitely should consider new speakers.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DawntoDust posted:

Speakers haven't really gotten better since the late 50's. There isn't much of a jump from the 80's until now. If you're happy with yours, new ones probably won't do much.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Hey all, I asked this question before and I got a response that I don't really understand. I was hoping I could get some help.

I have a Samsung receiver without a headphone jack. I run a PS3, Xbox 360, Tivo, Technics turnable (with a phono preamp), and Wii U through it, with one HDMI output running from my receiver to my TV. I would like to be able to use headphones at any time and during any activity without physically altering the components after the initial installation.

The suggestion previously was to buy a headphone amp and connect that to a component output on the receiver. This, however, doesn't make sense to me because if I select the receiver to output the component to which the headphone amp is connected, I believe the receiver also has to output the associated video. In other words, it doesn't appear there's a way to split the video output on the receiver versus the audio output on the receiver.

This obviously wouldn't work because I'm not interesting in moving the headphone amp between different output selections on the receiver, e.g., from the component audio output associated with the "DVD/BD" video output to the component audio output associated with "TV" video output.

Is there a solution for me? I hope this makes sense and if it doesn't I can clarify. Thanks in advance.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Why can't you just plug in the headphones whenever you need to use them?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CubanMissile posted:

I've purchased a Polk PSW10 sub and I'm about to order an Onkyo TX-NR515. I need to order a subwoofer cable and I have confused myself entirely in the process of doing so. Most receiver/sub connections I have seen have a single cable going out of the receiver going into a single line in on the sub, or a y-cable for the L/R in on the sub.

Since this receiver is 7.2, there are L and R pre-outs and my sub has L and R inputs. I'd assume I'd just run a single cable from one of the outs on the receiver to one of the ins on the sub, but is there a better way? Should I run two cables, one for each L and R? Or run one cable out of the receiver into a Y-adapter for the sub? Maybe even go super funky and use a Y-adapter on both the receiver and the sub? Sorry, I'm completely new at the whole HT thing.

Also, I plan on having a 3.1 setup to start. Since the rear channels are free, should I bi-amp the fronts? Is there a slight improvement that way or is the general consensus that it's the usual snake oil?

Haven't checked this thread in a few days, but noticed this never got answered.

For your cable, just run a single RCA to the sub, and either one of the inputs should work fine on the PSW10. You can use a Y adapter if you want, but there isn't any reason to do so.

For bi-amping, no. There is nothing to be gained in a home A/V setup.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

BANME.sh posted:

Why can't you just plug in the headphones whenever you need to use them?

Well also there should just be a monitor out that outputs whatever is currently playing. It seems like he is confused about that or someone explained it poorly before.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003
I had a power surge in my house last week and it looks like it took my Logitech 5.1s with it. I don't have any way to test if the satellites still work as the controller box/sub/amp won't power on. I'm just trying to figure out my viable options here, but would purchasing a new controller+sub (another brand with the possibility of building a custom set up), then using my old satellites (assuming they work) provide me with audio output for tv/movies?

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
So I just upgraded my 2.1 setup to a 5.1. Replaced my Rotel amp with a dead channel with a Yamaha HTR-5550 reciever. I got a really nice price on it, but the seller didnt have the remote. In my excitement to get a new reciever I forgot to consider how key the remote is for setting up the system.
I found a few replacement remotes online, but don't want to almost double my cost by ordering a $45 remote. Any suggestions?

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.
Just letting everyone know: the 616 is on Amazon for $319 with Prime.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR616-7-2-Channel-Certified-Receiver/dp/B0077V88W2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378271052&sr=8-1&keywords=616

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

The Locator posted:

Haven't checked this thread in a few days, but noticed this never got answered.

For your cable, just run a single RCA to the sub, and either one of the inputs should work fine on the PSW10. You can use a Y adapter if you want, but there isn't any reason to do so.

For bi-amping, no. There is nothing to be gained in a home A/V setup.

As I thought, thanks for the confirmation.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
Given that the new HDMI spec has been released, should we be expecting new sales on existing receivers in the next week or two, or will I have to wait until CES until new products are announced to see any existing inventory go on sale? I'm really curious about picking up a Denon AVR-E400 (or something better in a similar price range) and want to grab it when it comes available for sale next.

Any thoughts?

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
I'm really curious to know when HDMI 2.0 gear might start landing. I'm assuming Q2/2014? One of those cheap Seiki 4K TVs with HDMI 2.0 and an HDMI 2.0 2014 model receiver would be a sweet combo and probably prevent me from buying this year, barring some really fantastic clearance sales.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Other than for passive 3D display, or face close to screen viewing such as desktop computer, I would be more excited about the price drop in high end 1080p panels and projectors.

4K really is a gimmick. Our eyes aren't good enough to tell the difference on normal TV's at normal viewing distances.

I have a 106" display at a viewing distance of 11' and I'm still under the curve as to if its beneficial over 1080p or not according to THX.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Actually, if you're around 5-7' away, which is about where most people I know sit, a 50" and larger will show much greater detail. If you've ever seen a 4k set, you should know it's a big difference. It's pretty amazing, and not a gimmick at all. People are just going to have to deal with their new 1080p sets being old now is all.

You can paste charts all day if you want, but go stand in front of one and you'll poop yourself.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 6, 2013

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Philthy posted:

You can paste charts all day if you want, but go stand in front of one and you'll poop yourself.

Yeah yeah, I'll be sure to get one when Hollywood is popping out more than 2 movies a year in 4k. =)

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Tons of movies are filmed in 4k (or higher?) the problem is that there's no way to view them at home. Bluray is still arguably barely catching on, and streaming services are still catching up to 1080p.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Actually, there are 4K UHD capable Blu-Ray players, as well as upscaling Receivers and BD players. The Xbone and PS4 will also support video (though not games) in that resolution.
There's just no point right now because the spec is still in the early adopter phase, with no native UHD content until the end of this year; and all it is is this:

4K UHD content coming out later this year:

AQUARIUM 4K - The Tropical Reef Experience
ADVENTURE YELLOWSTONE - The World's Most Popular National Park
HAWAII - The Magical Volcano Islands
SERENGETI - Nature's Greatest Journey
FIREPLACE 4K - The Ultimate Fireplace Experience
AMERICA - THE BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY :911:

As -Inu- said, "Oh boy, I've always wanted my $4,000 TV to be used as a fake aquarium and/or fireplace." :laffo:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 7, 2013

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Philthy posted:

Actually, if you're around 5-7' away, which is about where most people I know sit, a 50" and larger will show much greater detail. If you've ever seen a 4k set, you should know it's a big difference. It's pretty amazing, and not a gimmick at all. People are just going to have to deal with their new 1080p sets being old now is all.

I haven't seen a UHD panel next to a 1080p panel, but I have seen RED cam footage downscaled to UHD on a UHD panel earlier this year, and it looked like 1080p to me. I have 25/20 vision as of 2 months ago.

To be fair though, I should do a side by side comparison. I'm not upgrading my projector until UHD with laser or LED lighting and passive 3D (dual lens?) Can be had for under $2500. At that point I'll probably switch my theater around and use the larger wall at the other end of the house to build a stage and 140" screen.

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

How difficult is it to build a pair of floor standing speakers? I am handy with woodworking, and have some basic electronic skills, but soldering, etc. is not something I have a lot of experience with. I have been looking for a good audio project, but working on an existing speaker seems difficult as most of what I have read seems to say that they are specifically built/tuned for the model's woofer/tweeter.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
There are a lot of kits you can buy with pre-designed schematics for the circuitry and speakers themselves. Some come with pre-cut MDF but I'm sure there's lots that just supply the dimensions and you are free to build the cabinets yourself.

That said, I would say the actual cabinet assembly would be the most difficult honestly. Assembling a crossover would take no longer than half an hour for somebody with even a small amount of soldering practice.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker-kits.html has a lot of kits, but they all come with the MDF cabinets. Maybe somebody else can suggest another vendor with just the electronic parts.

There used to be a speaker making megathread but it's closed

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2402844 (not sure if you need archives to view that)

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 9, 2013

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
This is a good place to start: http://www.parts-express.com/cat/speaker-kits/286

Keep in mind that the layout of the speakers on the front of the box will change the sound. The volume and internal structure also makes a difference. Sealed boxes that are a rectangular prism you can change around a bit, as long as you keep the volume the same, but ported boxes are sensitive to changes.

I like the looks of this kit and I would buy just the drivers and crossovers and make the box myself. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-702

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

It looks like they have just the speaker kit for $140. In what ways would it impact the sound if I designed my own cabinet, something a little less conventional than the ones they give you?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
If you keep the volumes and arrangements the same then you should be okay. Each speaker creates a wave of sound in front of it. How the waves interact depends on their placement in relation to each other. You can read up on that. There are also programs like http://www.linearteam.dk/?pageid=winisd to help design speaker boxes. There is a lot of good into at http://www.diyaudio.com/ although you'll have to dig to find it. The crossover design has a large impact as well.

I also like the look of this kit: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker-kits/osmtm-flat-pack.html and if you look at the page the guy who designed it put up: https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/overnightsensationmtm you can see how some people have customized it. The general idea is you can keep the speaker placement and box volumes the same, but add decoration to the cabinet and stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gomiboy posted:

It looks like they have just the speaker kit for $140. In what ways would it impact the sound if I designed my own cabinet, something a little less conventional than the ones they give you?

Before anything else, decide if you will be using a subwoofer or not. Speaker cabinets are either Full Range, or high efficiency. Not both. If you can offload bass duty to a subwoofer(s), the benefits of a high efficiency speaker are pretty important.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/karma10-kit.html <---- That is a pretty badass speaker for the price.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 9, 2013