Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don Lapre posted:

This isn't accurate. The moto X has less bloatware than the droids.

Truly bloated including those 4 amazon apps and IMBD that 95% of their user base has installed already.

That accounts for half the 'bloat' already.

Seriously, disable the poo poo you don't want and move on with your life. It doesn't warrant anymore than a line mentioning it in a review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

Truly bloated including those 4 amazon apps and IMBD that 95% of their user base has installed already.

That accounts for half the 'bloat' already.

Seriously, disable the poo poo you don't want and move on with your life. It doesn't warrant anymore than a line mentioning it in a review.

There was only one line in the verge review mentioning it

" If none of that tipped you off, the dozen-plus bloatware apps like IMDb, My Verizon Mobile, Verizon Tones, VZ Security, and the hilariously useless Caller Name ID certainly will."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

There was only one line in the verge review mentioning it

Not true. I was one of the major bullet points under bad stuff.

Regardless, the review is junk because their data is WRONG. I don't know what they did to those phones to make them have such poor battery life, but what they experienced is around 30-40% out of whack from other reviews and numerous reports from owners.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

Not true. I was one of the major bullet points under bad stuff.

Regardless, the review is junk because their data is WRONG. I don't know what they did to those phones to make them have such poor battery life, but what they experienced is around 30-40% out of whack from other reviews and numerous reports from owners.

And its a bad thing. Bloatware is crap. Especially since it has more bloatware than the droid X which it is closely related to. I dont consider a valid bulletpoint to be a problem. They had a bulletpoint about it and one line in the review.

If the droid is loaded up more than the X (which it is) then they should be called out on it.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 27, 2013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sorry, it's just not something I can't get worked up over and doesn't even rank in my purchasing decisions for a phone when you can resolve it with a single button press and never ever ever have to deal with any fallout or consequences of it being there.

I hope though that you are just as incensed about Google including Play Books, Play Magazines, and Google Music on their devices by default.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
You could also just ignore those extra apps like normal people do every day.

People are doing it this very second! I swear it's possible guys.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

kitten smoothie posted:

I am also really digging the Chrome extension that lets me get my messages & incoming call notifications on my desktop. My only gripe there is that it doesn't seem to pick up MMS messages.

What one is this?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
It's 2010, my Android only comes with 512MB of internal memory! I need that space!

b0bx13
Jun 14, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

I replaced my RAZR HD MAXX with a Droid Maxx this weekend. Thus far the battery life has been at least as good as the old phone, if not better.

Honestly I could not be happier with this phone so far. I was worried the 5" screen would be unwieldy but that was unfounded. Shape-wise, it's almost as if they took the Nexus One, made it bigger, and lost the trackball.

The voice control generally seems to work pretty well. I can leave the phone on the front seat of my car while driving, and use the voice control to change music, request directions, or message people.

I am also really digging the Chrome extension that lets me get my messages & incoming call notifications on my desktop. My only gripe there is that it doesn't seem to pick up MMS messages.

Are you connecting it to bluetooth in your car? I know my iPhone has some voice control weirdness when it's tethered to my car. I think I'd use it more if it worked without issue.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kensei posted:

What one is this?

This one. It only works with the X and the Droid lineup.

b0bx13 posted:

Are you connecting it to bluetooth in your car? I know my iPhone has some voice control weirdness when it's tethered to my car. I think I'd use it more if it worked without issue.

Yeah. My car stereo doesn't have Bluetooth directly so I I have one of those Belkin Bluetooth aux jack adapters that give you speakerphone, A2DP music, and a multifunction button that you stick on your dashboard. Even if it's connected, I can still just say "OK Google Now" and it will wake up and listen for a command. Otherwise I can also hold down the button for a second or two, which will do the same thing as saying the hotword.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

bull3964 posted:

Sorry, it's just not something I can't get worked up over and doesn't even rank in my purchasing decisions for a phone when you can resolve it with a single button press and never ever ever have to deal with any fallout or consequences of it being there.

I hope though that you are just as incensed about Google including Play Books, Play Magazines, and Google Music on their devices by default.

BUT THINK OF THE INNOCENT PEOPLE THAT DON'T KNOW HOW TO DISABLE THEM!

Seriously not a big deal and any person that I know with an android phone has never once complained about any of these apps, if anything they are used to it by now and don't think twice about them. It's people like us that notice them / gets annoyed by them but also know how to easily disable them either through settings or by freezing them in TB. The fact that Verizon has the ongoing WiFi notification is way worse than any bloatware imo.

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose

kitten smoothie posted:

Just curious, how does it perform differently than Might Text? I've been using Mighty Text for a while and have been really happy with it. Mighty Text has been doing a good job of picking up MMS also.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

comper posted:

BUT THINK OF THE INNOCENT PEOPLE THAT DON'T KNOW HOW TO DISABLE THEM!

Seriously not a big deal and any person that I know with an android phone has never once complained about any of these apps, if anything they are used to it by now and don't think twice about them. It's people like us that notice them / gets annoyed by them but also know how to easily disable them either through settings or by freezing them in TB. The fact that Verizon has the ongoing WiFi notification is way worse than any bloatware imo.

The ongoing wifi thing might be annoying to us, but I would wager it's saved a lot of customer issues since they're always being reminded to connect to wifi, so they never go over there data allowance and call up yelling at VZW. Give the phone to your mom or aunt, and if they never had a smart phone before they wouldn't know to connect to wifi. With the constant presence in the notification pane, at least they'll eventually (probably) figure it out on their own.

So I guess it benefits both regular rear end people and VZW in a way.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

I didn't really care one way or another about Verizon's bloatware until my Galaxy S3 updated and added that stupid Caller ID app which automatically started a timed trial without me ever opening it. I was pretty confused when I got an email about adding a feature to my account out of the blue. Oddly, they actually let you uninstall the app entirely.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

comper posted:

The fact that Verizon has the ongoing WiFi notification is way worse than any bloatware imo.

And that's only on HTC and Samsung devices. Motorola devices don't do it.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

bull3964 posted:

And that's only on HTC and Samsung devices. Motorola devices don't do it.

The Maxx's isn't persistent but it still pops up a lot.

And to the other guy, I can see where you're coming from, but it's still bad. You should set up the WiFi where they will be using it so that it's automatic anyway, but it may confuse them as they are traveling around and they have something that says "CONNECT TO WIFI" and lists a bunch of random networks. Idk, it's impossible to please everyone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It popping up a lot though is just default android behavior and you can turn that off. It's the persistent icon stuff that you can't turn off and that's only on HTC and Samsung devices.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

comper posted:

It's people like us that notice them / gets annoyed by them but also know how to easily disable them either through settings or by freezing them in TB. The fact that Verizon has the ongoing WiFi notification is way worse than any bloatware imo.

Thats the thing, a lot of people (usually some of the biggest complainers) think you need root or TB to do this.

You don't. As of 4.0 the application manager has a disable option.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Congobongo posted:

Just curious, how does it perform differently than Might Text? I've been using Mighty Text for a while and have been really happy with it. Mighty Text has been doing a good job of picking up MMS also.

I have never heard of Mighty Text before but from the description on the web it looks more fully featured than the Motorola one. I might try switching.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

kitten smoothie posted:

I have never heard of Mighty Text before but from the description on the web it looks more fully featured than the Motorola one. I might try switching.

It was still pretty buggy when I tried using it ~3 or 4 months ago. I couldn't get my messages to automatically refresh itself whenever I got a new one, and sometimes they wouldn't load at all. When it worked, it was pretty cool though.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Yesterday I ordered a prepaid LG Optimus Zone and initiated a number port from Verizon's prepaid section of the site and today I'm having a bit of a weird issue. When I try to activate the new phone it returns an error message that the phone is locked and must be returned to the store it was bought from. And I can't seem to get a hold of customer service over the listed phone line since the computer on the other end requires you to enter your number -- it throws an error like "sorry, I'm having technical difficulties at the moment, please try again later" and hangs up. The port eligibility page on Verizon's site returns that I'm one of their customers or that Virgin has agreed to release the number from their service depending on which button you hit -- and for the time being it seems like I still have service from Virgin.

Does anyone know another support phone line or anything else I should try?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

kitten smoothie posted:

This one. It only works with the X and the Droid lineup.

:saddowns:

Congobongo posted:

:toot:

Thanks both of you!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wow, I just got done reading the Verge review before I opened the thread and not having done any other research at all on these phones I was pretty discouraged about getting one to replace my phone (original Droid RAZR). Good to know something was off, because I was considering the Maxx but when they said the battery life wasn't that impressive I'd started to consider going to one of the older MAXX models.

I really like my phone, but I'd like to have more battery life so that's the main feature I've been looking at since it seems like pretty much all of the Droid RAZR iterations are going to be pretty similar to what I've already got, just a little nicer. Based on that, is the Droid Maxx the one I probably want? I was planning to stop by a Verizon store and play around with the new phones before deciding, but that's the one I'm leaning toward.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Yes, the Maxx is what you want.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Just went into a retail store and the CSR told me that transferring my upgrade to my son's account would kill my unlimited data. She was talking out of her rear end right?

Since I'm going through the website now and it's not giving me any issues, talking out of her rear end confirmed.

highme fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 28, 2013

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

highme posted:

Just went into a retail store and the CSR told me that transferring my upgrade to my son's account would kill my unlimited data. She was talking out of her rear end right?

Depends, is your son's line actually on your account, or is it on a separate account?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Same account, but I just ordered it via the website.

The most irritating part was I had asked her to check stock on the Droid Maxx and she kept putting that off. They've been in and out of stock all week from both retail places that are convenient to me. I didn't want to waste any of our time if they didn't have that phone.

And holy poo poo the Droid Maxx vs Droid RAZR Maxx confusing reps is pretty funny.

highme fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 28, 2013

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

big mean giraffe posted:

Yes, the Maxx is what you want.

Awesome. Now I just have to wait for the magical convergence of having money + finding the phone in stock.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Any of you guys try to get Google Wallet working on your phones? I'm having a devil of a time trying to make it work on my S3. Why's Verizon so against Google Wallet?

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
Because Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile are trying to promote their own thing called ISIS.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

erotic dad posted:

Because Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile are trying to promote their own thing called ISIS.

And I can't even run it. GG, guys.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

PerrineClostermann posted:

And I can't even run it. GG, guys.

You haven't yet used Wallet Installer?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2044362

I have a d2vzw as well and as long as you're rooted, Wallet will work like a charm. Your phone will present itself as a Galaxy Nexus (unless you restore build.prop) but it doesn't affect anything else.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I just received the "renew/reverify your employer discount" email. Not a big deal since I'm still employed with the same organization, but I'm surprised it took this long since they announced it how long ago?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ProjektorBoy posted:

You haven't yet used Wallet Installer?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2044362

I have a d2vzw as well and as long as you're rooted, Wallet will work like a charm. Your phone will present itself as a Galaxy Nexus (unless you restore build.prop) but it doesn't affect anything else.

That app doesn't work for me. I'm running rooted stock and it changed my build.prop and restarts my phone without doing anything else.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Said screw it today, traded in my iPhone 5 at Best Buy, added a Verizon iPhone to my Jetpack plan. Ended up with a gift cert for some left over. Probably could have gotten more but I couldn't possibly care any less at this point.

Being able to use my phones data connection is SO loving nice! I'm a little freaked by data limits, but if it ends up being a HUGE issue I'll go ahead and buy a grandfathered plan like I was discussing before and just pay the etf. I realize that's normally a huge knock to the wallet, but living in a metro area with no Internet is a kick in the nuts anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have the 2GB plan bad almost never go over. You can always kick up to a higher plan of you do, though. Caveat is that I'm on wifi all day at work and data during my commute is spotty.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I dropped my Jetpack from 40GB to 30GB in order to better afford the phone being added to the plan.

Now to figure out how much data the things I've been taking for granted actually use.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

iostream.h posted:

I dropped my Jetpack from 40GB to 30GB in order to better afford the phone being added to the plan.

Now to figure out how much data the things I've been taking for granted actually use.

Your carrier didn't have a data counter on their website under your account? I thought all of them do...just look up your previous months usage.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Your carrier didn't have a data counter on their website under your account? I thought all of them do...just look up your previous months usage.
It gave me the amount that I used, but not what something like (for example) FaceTime uses per minute/hour. I've got to figure out how to adjust my usage to fit in my tier.

Bear in mind, this is my only internet connection, for some unknown reason none of the service providers (AT&T and Brighthouse) feel obliged to offer high-speed access here. I'm not even out in the sticks, just in a dead spot for some reason. Before I bought this stupid rear end house I was actually here inspecting things and an AT&T serviceman stopped by and knocked on the door and said 'I just wanted to let you know that U-Verse is going to be available here in 90 days'. Never happened and there are now no plans for it to EVER happen. It's a big sore spot and I really have to avoid going off the deep end about it.

Anyway, the transition from years of not worrying about data caps in any way, shape or form to this has been difficult to adjust to. Yes, first world problems and all that, but it still sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

iostream.h posted:

It gave me the amount that I used, but not what something like (for example) FaceTime uses per minute/hour. I've got to figure out how to adjust my usage to fit in my tier.

Bear in mind, this is my only internet connection, for some unknown reason none of the service providers (AT&T and Brighthouse) feel obliged to offer high-speed access here. I'm not even out in the sticks, just in a dead spot for some reason. Before I bought this stupid rear end house I was actually here inspecting things and an AT&T serviceman stopped by and knocked on the door and said 'I just wanted to let you know that U-Verse is going to be available here in 90 days'. Never happened and there are now no plans for it to EVER happen. It's a big sore spot and I really have to avoid going off the deep end about it.

Anyway, the transition from years of not worrying about data caps in any way, shape or form to this has been difficult to adjust to. Yes, first world problems and all that, but it still sucks.

Good thing our government gave those big companies all that money to build out their networks and service areas over the past 15 years!

• Locked thread