Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Another person chiming in: watched Dredd thanks to everybody here. I thought the setting could've actually been a little darker and more futuristic — it looked a lot like The Raid, especially once they get stuck in Peach Tree. That said, it was a good time. A couple great fights / shootouts.

Favorite part: the guy's hand blowing up when he fires the gun.

The modern day vehicles and weapons kind of work at selling how lovely and poor this part of Mega-City One this is, but yeah they are really because of the movie's limited budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

marktheando posted:

The modern day vehicles and weapons kind of work at selling how lovely and poor this part of Mega-City One this is, but yeah they are really because of the movie's limited budget.

The movie had a production budget of $45 million.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

etalian posted:

The movie had a production budget of $45 million.

Which is pretty limited for a sci-fi action movie set in a bustling future metropolis. It's less than half the budget of the Stallone Dredd movie.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

marktheando posted:

Which is pretty limited for a sci-fi action movie set in a bustling future metropolis. It's less than half the budget of the Stallone Dredd movie.

Pretty amazing how fast the money goes.

Compare that to District 9, which I thought built a more convincing hell-hole. Overall, I love world-building in movies in general and the oppressive bleakness in Dredd in particular, but maybe making it a perpetual blade-runner-esque night might've amped up the...dredd.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Pretty amazing how fast the money goes.

Compare that to District 9, which I thought built a more convincing hell-hole. Overall, I love world-building in movies in general and the oppressive bleakness in Dredd in particular, but maybe making it a perpetual blade-runner-esque night might've amped up the...dredd.

Well most of it was driven by the small budget and the need to build things using some creative set dressing.

The Stallone Dredd was actually closer to grandiose, colorful, cyberpunk feel of the original comics.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

etalian posted:

The Stallone Dredd was actually closer to grandiose, colorful, cyberpunk feel of the original comics.
Well, during the first 15 minutes anyway. Those first 15 minutes are really fun, I can take or leave the rest of the movie since it kind of tosses out a lot of that cool production design after that.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Dredd looks like a $200 million movie and there are $200 million movies that don't look this good.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Speaking of Dredd, I saw this short documentary on YouTube about "the world's tallest slum" - the Tower of David in Caracas, which looks remarkably like Ma-Ma's tower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1p9jlQUW0k

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've watched Apocalypse Now at least 20 times, and only one of those times was Redux. It's not just that it's longer, I just don't even think the added material is at all necessary.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

etalian posted:

Well most of it was driven by the small budget and the need to build things using some creative set dressing.

Certainly the budget is limiting, but to me as a director or producer I would ask why we need to show big, sweeping views of a city that clearly looks like a modern-day place with CG-ed "mega structures" dotting the landscape? Why not save that money and make the POV more claustrophobic and street-level? Have a few big shots of the justice hall or whatever it was called in order to give the movie some scope, but stick at the judges' level.

A lot of the fun comes from focusing on the fully realized and aesthetically coherent details like the gun and the medical kit. Those objects felt lived-in and cool. Even the bikes had this retro, cyberpunk feel that worked, at least more-so than the some of the sets and city design.

But just some thoughts. Overall I was smiling throughout. And did anyone else notice that whenever it cut to an all-CG shot, with Dredd / his partner against greenscreen, the framerate seemed to stutter a bit and the whole picture defocused? Maybe they were swapping for a different camera.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think there needed to be some establishment of what the "world" was- an abandoned wasteland, a sprawling city, and the big slum apartments, one of which forms the center of the action.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Speaking of Dredd, I saw this short documentary on YouTube about "the world's tallest slum" - the Tower of David in Caracas, which looks remarkably like Ma-Ma's tower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1p9jlQUW0k
This documentary is also really interesting, it examines different aspects of how people in these rundown high-rises get caught in the middle of the cops and robbers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZJ1w9-Umcw

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think there needed to be some establishment of what the "world" was- an abandoned wasteland, a sprawling city, and the big slum apartments, one of which forms the center of the action.
Yeah, it gives it a sense of scale, that poo poo like this is going down everywhere every day, and it also distinguishes it from just being in modern day Brazil or something.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I don't know how late to the party I am here, but I just spotted The Toxic Avenger on Netflix instant and I don't remember it being there last time I checked.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

SRM posted:

Yeah, it gives it a sense of scale, that poo poo like this is going down everywhere every day, and it also distinguishes it from just being in modern day Brazil or something.

I loved the line that the judges prosecute something like 6% of serious crimes. Sounds like Tijuana!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mr. stefan posted:

I don't know how late to the party I am here, but I just spotted The Toxic Avenger on Netflix instant and I don't remember it being there last time I checked.

Every Troma movie is also on their official YouTube channel, last I looked.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The Bay is a surprisingly good found footage horror film. It's a bit heavy handed on the environmental message but it never feels smashed in nor does it overshadow the horror of it. The acting is good and the gore effects are pretty good as well. I highly recommend it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

One thing I caught in my recent rewatch that I missed the first two times is that there are drones everywhere in those establishing shots of the city.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I hate watching something you loved when you were younger, only to find you absolutely hate it now.

Now, Adam Sandler is no great comedian, but I liked Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore when I was young. I had the chance to see them again just a few weeks ago, and drat, they were so loving bad that I was continually mystified throughout both as to why I ever liked them. Or a reversal of two movies; I love the Transformers animated film when I was a kid, didn't care too much about the G.I. Joe movie. Saw them again a few months ago, and G.I. Joe was a lot better than I remembered it being, and Transformers was a lot worse.

Yeah, so many things I used to love now are painful to watch. I react the same to Sandler's movies.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Jackass is always funny. You must be elderly :colbert:

:corsair: GET OFF MY LAWN!

My tastes on TV and movies have changed over the years. Anime and cartoons turned boring,to that add some problems with keeping my attention on something for more than 20 minutes.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

etalian posted:

Yeah plus the whole cast is so great with how they gleefully perform all the pranks and also mess with each other.

Even if you hate the rest of the films I feel you can justify watching them just for the scenes where Bam Margera gets pranked and starts crying like a bitch. Seeing that smug douchebag taken down a peg is always pleasing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL2WP2HxDOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I think Dredd probably wasted more money on the 3D conversion and probably got hurt by advertising the film as "Dredd 3D" (although admittedly the 3D was cool for the slo-mo scenes)

Dacap fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 28, 2013

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

etalian posted:

Dredd is a really great film, the Red Letter media boys loved it too for things such as having over the top 80s gruesome practical effects and sort of intentionally
avoiding the complicated story like the Stallone Dredd.

I would say despite the Stallone Dredd being closer to the look of the source material, the newer Dredd wins out just for capturing the grim nature of the world so much better.
Dredd was perfectly constructed around its budget. It had to be R rated to be worthwhile and they went for it despite knowing the risk that brings, along with some drat deft casting. Urban, Hedley (bloodly glorious as mama), and ridiculously cute Olivia Thirlby were some great choices. You're exactly right in that they went primarily for the feel of the world rather than trying to craft a sprawling story which they wouldn't have been able to do justice. Either they try to do it on the same budget which would make the lack of funds relative to blockbusters stand out that much more, or neuter the grittiness by going for a PG rating which would have potentially given them more to work with - albeit Dredd isn't exactly that popular a property so they may have never had the option.

Unfortunately I don't think it made back its relatively small 45million production cost in theatres, which doesn't bode well for future experiments like this, studios are just going to be that much more skittish.

gently caress bullet train fights, give me a Wolverine film where Logan's claws actually do more to bodies than toss them around. :argh:

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Haven't seen Zenith talked about here yet. For any one that likes thrillers, slow moving mystery type movies really needs to check it out. I can't really even say if I liked it or not, the little plot synapse netflix gives you was interesting but the film goes a good bit beyond that.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Just watched Beyond The Black Rainbow. Astounding little sci-fi horror movie with some amazing visual flourishes. One of the best-looking movies I think I've ever seen.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I Before E posted:

Just watched Beyond The Black Rainbow. Astounding little sci-fi horror movie with some amazing visual flourishes. One of the best-looking movies I think I've ever seen.
That one's on Netflix? Shiiiiiit, I need to watch it again. I've been meaning to but I didn't know it was on Netflix.

Everyone who wants to see a totally surreal head trip of a movie, watch Beyond The Black Rainbow ASAP.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Since everybody is praising it to the point where it got me to watch it I guess I should say that I didn't really enjoy Dredd at all. Maybe I'm past the point in my life where I can watch an action movie that's literally just an action movie and give a poo poo, but I don't think that's it - one of my main complaints with Dredd is that there wasn't a ton of action, and often when there was action it was just a short perfunctory shootout. There was pretty much nothing funny in the movie (at least the original tried to have a goofy sidekick, although we all know how well that turned out), there wasn't much of an interesting message aside from the classic violent Dredd nihilism (as if I don't get that from enough of my entertainment already), they managed to come up with an excuse to get Olivia Thirlby naked multiple times because whatever, there were a few plot holes which normally don't bother me but when the plot is literally "Judge Dredd shoots criminals until there aren't any left to shoot" I think it's a little inexcusable to dip into nonsense, and I think I'm forgetting a few other things I didn't like.

On the plus side most of the performances were pretty good so there's that. Overall I'd say I think I like the terrible mistake that was the original more than this occasionally interesting but mostly boring movie when it comes to Judge Dredd, and when it comes to action movies more generally, I think Netflix has better options. Terminator 2, Valhalla Rising, Ip Man, Mission Impossibles 1 through 4, The Good, the Bad, and the Weird, 13 Assassins, and a ton of other great action movies are streaming right now. Of course it looks like I'm in a minority of one, so, yeah.

In fact speaking of which it's time to recommend The Good, the Bad, and the Weird again. It's basically Indiana Jones plus The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I dont know if its been mentioned but primer's star director writers next film - upstream color is streaming as well. Very well done.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

What plot holes would they be? I thought the script for Dredd was very well put together and don't remember any plot holes.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

TychoCelchuuu posted:

they managed to come up with an excuse to get Olivia Thirlby naked multiple times
Huh? When was she actually naked? You see her uncovered back in one physic sequence as the camera pans around her, and maybe see a very, very brief blurry side shot of her boob in the same sequence, but "gratuitous nudity" is one critique of Dredd that I don't think holds up.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I gave Dredd another shot last night, since I had mixed feelings about it the first time I saw it. It still has beautiful moments (mostly the slow-mo), but it's so joyless and stiff that it doesn't really do much for me on the whole. That's probably spot on for a movie about crushing fascism and overwhelming poverty, but I couldn't finish it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

etalian posted:

Yeah plus the whole cast is so great with how they gleefully perform all the pranks and also mess with each other.
I love that, it's great how it seems like just a constant cycle of everyone harassing everyone else, and it usually doesn't get TOO sadistic, everyone seems to know what they're in for. e: other than Bam Margera as was mentioned before, he doesn't feel like he belongs in the movies half the time.

Although I've never been the biggest fan of the super grossout stuff they do. I felt ill after watching the one where the guy wears plastic wrap all over his body then runs on a treadmill and somebody drinks the sweat. My favorites are the super elaborate physical stunts and pranks.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 28, 2013

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Although I've never been the biggest fan of the super grossout stuff they do. I felt ill after watching the one where the guy wears plastic wrap all over his body then runs on a treadmill and somebody drinks the sweat.

I don't know why, but that one made me gag way more than Steve-O doing the port-o-potty bungie jumping. Like, I had to look away from the screen before they even started drinking, and even the gagging sounds were making me gag imagining it. I can't even think about it now without nearly throwing up.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

marktheando posted:

What plot holes would they be? I thought the script for Dredd was very well put together and don't remember any plot holes.
When the one bad guy they've captured tries to shoot the woman with her gun and it blows his hand off and he's screaming and poo poo and then she kicks him, the next scene is her carefully sneaking out of the room because nobody heard that poo poo. This despite the room they were in having an open door and everything. I also thought it was silly that this hardened criminal apparently doesn't know that using a Judge's gun is a bad idea but I'm sure there's some fine explanation for that. I've forgotten the rest - they annoyed me while I watched the movie but it's not like they've stuck in my craw.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Huh? When was she actually naked? You see her uncovered back in one physic sequence as the camera pans around her, and maybe see a very, very brief blurry side shot of her boob in the same sequence, but "gratuitous nudity" is one critique of Dredd that I don't think holds up.
She's definitely naked in those scenes, plus the ones where the criminal imagines having sex with her and she's bent over - that one gets repeated a couple times. What makes nudity "gratuitous" isn't just how much of someone's body you see - it's the context in which you see it. The most recent example I can think of is Top of the Lake, which is a TV show but still a good demonstration of my point. There's one scene with like 12 women walking around entirely naked, but the scene isn't gratuitous at all. They're naked for good reasons and the nudity is matter of fact and so on. I thought what little nudity there was in Dredd was pretty gratuitous. Keep in mind this is a movie where we never even see Dredd's face.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TychoCelchuuu posted:

When the one bad guy they've captured tries to shoot the woman with her gun and it blows his hand off and he's screaming and poo poo and then she kicks him, the next scene is her carefully sneaking out of the room because nobody heard that poo poo. This despite the room they were in having an open door and everything. I also thought it was silly that this hardened criminal apparently doesn't know that using a Judge's gun is a bad idea but I'm sure there's some fine explanation for that. I've forgotten the rest - they annoyed me while I watched the movie but it's not like they've stuck in my craw.

They did mention that Judges rarely show up in Peach Tree, so he's unlikely to know what a Judge's gun will do. Also, it's a major point that Judges don't let their primary weapon leave their hands, so perhaps very few people know even if Judges are around.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

That seems like a hell of a stretch. They mention early on how judges only respond to like 6 percent of the calls and how thinly stretched out the department is. The dude would probably have never meet a judge face to face before and have no idea what kind of tricks they might have on their gear.

Edit>> And already beaten.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

She's definitely naked in those scenes, plus the ones where the criminal imagines having sex with her and she's bent over - that one gets repeated a couple times. What makes nudity "gratuitous" isn't just how much of someone's body you see - it's the context in which you see it. The most recent example I can think of is Top of the Lake, which is a TV show but still a good demonstration of my point. There's one scene with like 12 women walking around entirely naked, but the scene isn't gratuitous at all. They're naked for good reasons and the nudity is matter of fact and so on. I thought what little nudity there was in Dredd was pretty gratuitous. Keep in mind this is a movie where we never even see Dredd's face.

The only context we get for the film's nudity is through the lascivious imagination of Kay; they're always psychic projections of how he'd like to objectify Anderson (it's actually kind of male gaze personified). That's his method of attack, really, and I think Anderson's strength as a character is how she is able to actively reject that and even use it against him in the interrogation scene. I don't think it was gratuitous at all, since it was purposeful, and all part of Anderson's superobjective throughout the film to prove to others that she can be taken seriously.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Eh, I wouldn't say that's a plot hole. The other gang members probably thought the noise from the small explosion that took off Kay's hand was the sound of him killing Anderson. They were expecting a loud bang from that room. And Kay doesn't scream, or make a sound after losing his hand.

And as for Kay not knowing about the lawgiver's hidden surprise, it's made clear in the film that a judge losing their primary weapon is not something that happens often.

Edit- beaten because I fired up Dredd to check if Kay screams.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I thought Dredd was going to be a fun action movie but instead it was a boring action movie. The shootouts weren't interesting and the slow motion was really just gimmicky. It frustrates me because I enjoyed Urban's and Headey's performances and liked the fact that it wasn't an origin story, but it just felt like it lacked any substance.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Oh netflix max you can just burn in hell. Today it gave me the option of letting him choose and play what ever he thinks I will like with no help from me. He gave me Star Trek voyager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Anyone use Netflix on a tv with a built in app? Having some weird problems with Frasier -- basically, 99% of older episodes are not available to watch. I'm on season 4 on a rewatch and skipped most of S1 and parts of S2. I want to go back and watch them, but only a couple episodes from S1 and S2 -- the ones I did watch -- show up when I select Frasier -> All Episodes. Everything Season 4 and on is fine.

• Locked thread