Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hrm yes programmreds are a special breed worthy of respect and adulation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

on one hand any profession has specific tools adapted to their daily tasks and they tend to cost more than consumer-grade items.

on the other hand it's a jieff atwoord keyboard and I ain't gonna buy one.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
wait when did jeff atwood make luxury consumer goods

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

that looks like a nice keyboard but you'll pry my ms 4000 from my cold rsi crippled hands

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

im pretty jealous that fatwood gets to make a living just messing around with programming

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
tef i think you're just jealous no-one's asked you to shill for premium computer accessories

programming is terrible™ keyboards, where no matter which keys you press, it always types "go outside"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MononcQc posted:

on one hand any profession has specific tools adapted to their daily tasks and they tend to cost more than consumer-grade items.

The Hole Hawg is a drill made by the Milwaukee Tool Company. If you look in a typical hardware store you may find smaller Milwaukee drills but not the Hole Hawg, which is too powerful and too expensive for homeowners. The Hole Hawg does not have the pistol-like design of a cheap homeowner's drill. It is a cube of solid metal with a handle sticking out of one face and a chuck mounted in another. The cube contains a disconcertingly potent electric motor. You can hold the handle and operate the trigger with your index finger, but unless you are exceptionally strong you cannot control the weight of the Hole Hawg with one hand; it is a two-hander all the way. In order to fight off the counter-torque of the Hole Hawg you use a separate handle (provided), which you screw into one side of the iron cube or the other depending on whether you are using your left or right hand to operate the trigger. This handle is not a sleek, ergonomically designed item as it would be in a homeowner's drill. It is simply a foot-long chunk of regular galvanized pipe, threaded on one end, with a black rubber handle on the other. If you lose it, you just go to the local plumbing supply store and buy another chunk of pipe.

During the Eighties I did some construction work. One day, another worker leaned a ladder against the outside of the building that we were putting up, climbed up to the second-story level, and used the Hole Hawg to drill a hole through the exterior wall. At some point, the drill bit caught in the wall. The Hole Hawg, following its one and only imperative, kept going. It spun the worker's body around like a rag doll, causing him to knock his own ladder down. Fortunately he kept his grip on the Hole Hawg, which remained lodged in the wall, and he simply dangled from it and shouted for help until someone came along and reinstated the ladder.

I myself used a Hole Hawg to drill many holes through studs, which it did as a blender chops cabbage. I also used it to cut a few six-inch-diameter holes through an old lath-and-plaster ceiling. I chucked in a new hole saw, went up to the second story, reached down between the newly installed floor joists, and began to cut through the first-floor ceiling below. Where my homeowner's drill had labored and whined to spin the huge bit around, and had stalled at the slightest obstruction, the Hole Hawg rotated with the stupid consistency of a spinning planet. When the hole saw seized up, the Hole Hawg spun itself and me around, and crushed one of my hands between the steel pipe handle and a joist, producing a few lacerations, each surrounded by a wide corona of deeply bruised flesh. It also bent the hole saw itself, though not so badly that I couldn't use it. After a few such run-ins, when I got ready to use the Hole Hawg my heart actually began to pound with atavistic terror.

But I never blamed the Hole Hawg; I blamed myself. The Hole Hawg is dangerous because it does exactly what you tell it to. It is not bound by the physical limitations that are inherent in a cheap drill, and neither is it limited by safety interlocks that might be built into a homeowner's product by a liability-conscious manufacturer. The danger lies not in the machine itself but in the user's failure to envision the full consequences of the instructions he gives to it.

A smaller tool is dangerous too, but for a completely different reason: it tries to do what you tell it to, and fails in some way that is unpredictable and almost always undesirable. But the Hole Hawg is like the genie of the ancient fairy tales, who carries out his master's instructions literally and precisely and with unlimited power, often with disastrous, unforeseen consequences.

Pre-Hole Hawg, I used to examine the drill selection in hardware stores with what I thought was a judicious eye, scorning the smaller low-end models and hefting the big expensive ones appreciatively, wishing I could afford one of them babies. Now I view them all with such contempt that I do not even consider them to be real drills--merely scaled-up toys designed to exploit the self-delusional tendencies of soft-handed homeowners who want to believe that they have purchased an actual tool. Their plastic casings, carefully designed and focus-group-tested to convey a feeling of solidity and power, seem disgustingly flimsy and cheap to me, and I am ashamed that I was ever bamboozled into buying such knicknacks.

It is not hard to imagine what the world would look like to someone who had been raised by contractors and who had never used any drill other than a Hole Hawg. Such a person, presented with the best and most expensive hardware-store drill, would not even recognize it as such. He might instead misidentify it as a child's toy, or some kind of motorized screwdriver. If a salesperson or a deluded homeowner referred to it as a drill, he would laugh and tell them that they were mistaken--they simply had their terminology wrong. His interlocutor would go away irritated, and probably feeling rather defensive about his basement full of cheap, dangerous, flashy, colorful tools.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
God darnit, Neal Stephenson, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore.

:allears:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

prefect posted:

God darnit, Neal Stephenson, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore.

:allears:

thread is now about anathem and quicksilver

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

horse mans posted:

thread is now about anathem and quicksilver

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Otto Skorzeny posted:

wait when did jeff atwood make luxury consumer goods

software :shrek:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

coffeetable posted:

tef i think you're just jealous no-one's asked you to shill for premium computer accessories

programming is terrible™ keyboards, where no matter which keys you press, it always types "go outside"

it would just be a bit of wood with nails through it, you could try typing but it would work better as a cudgel

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

prefect posted:

The Hole Hawg is a drill made by the Milwaukee Tool Company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qth1itPaT3Y

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

this was on QI once and it blew my mind because physical work is basically wizardry to me

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Pardon the reddit link but: http://www.reddit.com/r/PHP/comments/1l7baq/creating_a_user_from_the_web_problem/

quote:

I have a form that creates a user by entering the username and their password. The code I'm using in php is:
PHP code:
shell_exec("sudo useradd -p $encpass -g groupname -s /bin/bash $username");
I have used a whoami and have confirmed that it runs as http. In /etc/sudoers I have
code:
http ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
root ALL=(ALL) ALL
%wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
%sudo ALL=(ALL) ALL
I also added http to group wheel. The problem I am having is it's not setting the password correctly. The user is created, just the password isn't set. I know that $encpass has a value because I can display it. I also know the command works because it runs fine in command line. This was working before, but I had to reinstall Arch Linux, so does anyone have an idea for why this doesn't work?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
not clicking the link but that's obv. a troll cause I don't think even php "developers" are that stupid

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

tef posted:

jeff atwood branches out in to merchandising http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2013/08/the-code-keyboard.html

"But I'm not an average person. You aren't an average person. We aren't average people."

tired of making luxury goods for consumers, atwood decides to make them for programmers

coding horror is literally now just for fatwood to post about his latest doomed venture twice a year

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
also everyone knows the first thing you do is make apache run as root so you stop getting all those dumb permission "errors" whenever you try and do something

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Tiny Bug Child posted:

also everyone knows the first thing you do is make apache run as root so you stop getting all those dumb permission "errors" whenever you try and do something

this is real boring

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I knew this guy who used shell_exec everywhere for inane poo poo and I tried telling him it wasn't a good practice and he just told me he checked around and didn't find anything saying it's bad.

so idk it may not be a troll really

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
~*~ those who do not understand unix are doomed to reinvent it ~*~

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Suspicious Dish posted:

plan 9 :shrek:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
linux is garbage. posix is trash

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

linux is garbage. posix is trash

the future is php on windows

then the two worst things in the industry will be in one place and i can forget them both forever

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Suspicious Dish posted:

hope u get doomed to work in a unix org that badly reinvents everything the windows API provides

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
like function argument lists twelve items long, with eight expected to be NULL or 0

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
yes, including that (badly)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Gazpacho posted:

hope u get doomed to work in a unix org that badly reinvents everything the windows API provides

i work at http://redhat.com and yes we do!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Redhate makes the only working linux: centos. So that's cool. Jboss is really bad tho.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

Redhate makes the only working linux: centos. So that's cool. Jboss is really bad tho.

"redhate"? thats a new one. ive really only heard "dead rat", "the cat in the red hat" etc.

and yeah we all make fun of the jboss team for being useless

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
but tbh the only thing a linux is good for is running tomcat and httpd. everything else is a bad idea.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

"redhate"? thats a new one.

that's like 2000-era jeffk

also stop with the shagadelics

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also you cant use the official tomcat packages from centos cause they'll be full of fail like gcj and bad configs. idk if that's your fault or not.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

gas

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
lol im a time traveller from 2004, i've got to compile azureus with gcj to make it stop stuttering and start segfaulting

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

also you cant use the official tomcat packages from centos cause they'll be full of fail like gcj and bad configs. idk if that's your fault or not.

this has not been true for years, you can use any jdk

red hat comes with openjdk out of the box and that will run most code most of the time. (supposedly openjdk 7 is much better on compatibility than 6, but it is only in RHEL 6 so i haven't spent much time with it)

red hat actually like pays people full time to work on openjdk, i think they are the only major contributor aside from oracle and ibm

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I haven't tried using the centos tomcat packages in forever. also now I do mostly tomcat on windows cause its just a better os in every way

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this has not been true for years, you can use any jdk

red hat comes with openjdk out of the box and that will run most code most of the time. (supposedly openjdk 7 is much better on compatibility than 6, but it is only in RHEL 6 so i haven't spent much time with it)

red hat actually like pays people full time to work on openjdk, i think they are the only major contributor aside from oracle and ibm

That's cause openjdk was originally based on Java 7, and then try backported it to work on Java 6 for some dumb reason.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

lol @ pitching a non-ergonomic keyboard as a product 'for programmers.'

yes, the people who spend all day hammering on their keyboard want a keyboard custom-built to ruin their wrists. sounds good to me!

also lol @ jeff atwood in general, snack overflow, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

So the Windows key is blank but there is clearing a stupid menu key? Even Lenovo are smart enough to not include that useless key, I'd rather have PrtSc.