Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

it's me im axxo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Instant Grat posted:

my home theater setup is a 360 connected with component to my tv because the hdmi port on the tv is hosed and sound doesn't work thru it

whenever i want to watch anything on it i've downloaded i gotta transcode the audio from whatever 1576 kbps DTS hell to 2ch LC-AAC and remux the thing to mp4

jerryrigged supremacy

I have my HTPC and 360 connected via HDMI but then the TV passes Pro-Logic I to my receiver over red and white RCA cables :negative:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pagancow posted:

lol if you think there isn't a sweet spot for any speaker that fires directionally.

You're still triangulating 2 speakers, still a zone you want to stand in to hear the sound correctly

two speakers can create a sweet long oval

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

chumpchous posted:

how come big_buck_bunny is used as an example in everything
Free, colorful, and shorter than Sintel

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
elephants dream was better because it had emo philips in it

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
do they still have a directory with pngs of every single frame in 1920x1080 for all of those blender movies

e: yup

a nest of hornets
Nov 17, 2012

by Ralp

pagancow posted:

*puts down the tape measure and protractor*

*kills self*

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
i saw an episode of pimp my ride once where the guy was showing her the stereo in her new car and he was very excitedly yelling "THIS AINT NO MP3 PLAYER GURL. THIS poo poo IS

EM

PEE

FO'!"

more numbers means more betterer

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Instant Grat posted:

i saw an episode of pimp my ride once where the guy was showing her the stereo in her new car and he was very excitedly yelling "THIS AINT NO MP3 PLAYER GURL. THIS poo poo IS

EM

PEE

FO'!"

well it is better

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Instant Grat posted:

EM

PEE

FO'!"

tbf there were AAC players that were marketed as MP4 players as being a bigger number

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

pagancow posted:

tbf there were AAC players that were marketed as MP4 players as being a bigger number

did aac have any mainstream support before the itunes store blew up though

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

chumpchous posted:

how come big_buck_bunny is used as an example in everything

i dunno but ive prolly seen the first ~5-10 seconds of it a thousand times, just enough to verify adaptive bitrate changing worked then close it

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

~Coxy posted:

I have my HTPC and 360 connected via HDMI but then the TV passes Pro-Logic I to my receiver over red and white RCA cables :negative:

you dont have an optical or coax digital out from any of these devices?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Instant Grat posted:

did aac have any mainstream support before the itunes store blew up though

I seem to remember that the iPod first supported AAC becuase Apple helped to develop the container standard (.mp4 is based off .mov) AAC was just part of a next generation audio codec so they included it to "be better"

totally speculating on this one. could be totally wrong

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
all i remember is that my dad was an itunes early adopter and he used to keep giving me aac files and i'd be like WTF IS THIS GARBAGE DAD IT ONLY RUNS ON CRAPPLE IPOD AND NOT MY CREATIVE JUKEBOX

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

AAC encoder was on par with LAME when it first launched too

no technical advantage in early 2000ish

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Sniep posted:

i dunno but ive prolly seen the first ~5-10 seconds of it a thousand times, just enough to verify adaptive bitrate changing worked then close it

I had it running in a continuous loop on a TV on my desk for about four weeks. I think I could reconstruct the entire thing from memory.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

echinopsis posted:

two speakers can create a sweet long oval

hey there i have 2 speakers and i cant hear poo poo literally ever is there a solution or faq?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Smythe posted:

hey there i have 2 speakers and i cant hear poo poo literally ever is there a solution or faq?

turn the receiver on gramma

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Qwertycoatl posted:

I had it running in a continuous loop on a TV on my desk for about four weeks. I think I could reconstruct the entire thing from memory.

oh, ive definitely seen it allt he way through multiple times but ended up just making an animated 10 minute loop of smpte color bars with "company name - department name" scrolling across the middle of it and a 1khz tone. much better.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Instant Grat posted:

my dad asked me "if they can do continuous analogue sound capture like on vinyl and poo poo thats not separated into samples, why dont they do the same with video. whys it gotta be such-and-such frames per second" and i didnt know what to tell him other than "thats not how it works. thats literally just not how it works"

that is exactly how analog video cameras and analog tv broadcast worked: a continuous signal fed into the guns while they panned across a screen

the "frames per second" conceit came from the interval where the guns reset to their 0 position -- you didn't want to feed them picture while they aimed somewhere unhelpful

edit: here's some authentic, "warm" vinyl video for ur dad

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 29, 2013

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that is exactly how analog video cameras and analog tv broadcast worked: a continuous signal fed into the guns while they panned across a screen

the "frames per second" conceit came from the interval where the guns reset to their 0 position -- you didn't want to feed them picture while they aimed somewhere unhelpful

i think he was asking about temporal continuity, which analog video still doesnt provide because of the aforementioned blank

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
discrete sampling is fine because your ears and eyes...are a piece of poo poo!!!

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

so there'd have to BE no frames which means all the pixels are all constantly being transmitted all at once and lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

i think he was asking about temporal continuity, which analog video still doesnt provide because of the aforementioned blank

yeah you could design a temporally continuous analog video system with no blanking interval. just turn back around and start tracing backwards

but the equipment would have been more complicated and the temporal resolution would have been poorer. blanking interval was really the simpler solution

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
arent sensory inputs sent to the brain in discrete pulses anyway? i seem to recall hearing that

humans is computers with meat outside

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

inside too. thinking meat

vector crts are really cool and temporally continuous iirc. maybe ig's dad should buy an asteroids cabinet

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

edit: here's some authentic, "warm" vinyl video for ur dad

I see this and all I can hear is theremin

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

i went over to some dudes desk today and asked him to look at a video today, he went out of his way to right click and open with VLC.

it was funny because it was all TV levels on an RGB display with vsync tearing

he told me the video looked great and approved it.

he would have probablly approved it had i done nothing to it

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

i went over to some dudes desk today and asked him to look at a video today, he went out of his way to right click and open with VLC.

it was funny because it was all TV levels on an RGB display with vsync tearing

he told me the video looked great and approved it.

he would have probablly approved it had i done nothing to it

WORKSFORME WONTFIX

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

like how do you look at this:

and then look at this:

and say yep it's good

(screen images simulated)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
hey that bottom pic is all hosed up man

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
this is cool:

http://bellard.org/dvbt/

quote:

This is not a hoax ! With a PC running Linux and a recent VGA card, you can emit a real digital TV signal in the VHF band to your DVB-T set-top box.
DVB-T emitters are usually very expensive professional devices. Now with a standard PC you can broadcast real DVB-T channels !
Examples to transmit PAL or SECAM analog signals directly to your TV are also presented.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

you dont have an optical or coax digital out from any of these devices?

I think my receiver might be too old for that, I should double-check

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Is your receiver from the 1990s?

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
pagancow whats wrong with an RGB display? i thought that RGB was the highest it went, or am i missing some kind of context here

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

~Coxy posted:

I think my receiver might be too old for that, I should double-check

jfc, time for a new receiver

even ones from the mid-late 90s have digital audio inputs. surround models should for sure

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nomnom Cookie posted:

inside too. thinking meat

vector crts are really cool and temporally continuous iirc. maybe ig's dad should buy an asteroids cabinet

vector displays have no fixed framerate, but they do have "frames" in the sense that the gun is constantly being turned off to move to the start point of the next segment

one blanking interval per vector instead of a blanking interval per field

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 30, 2013

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

pagancow posted:

like how do you look at this:

and then look at this:

and say yep it's good

(screen images simulated)

i don't really get what i should be seeing here except for the screen tear. was that it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Wheany posted:

i don't really get what i should be seeing here except for the screen tear. was that it?

crushed blacks. look at the shadows and such.

i'm too bleary-eyed right now to tell on this phone screen if they're color corrected differently tho

• Locked thread