Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

CeeJee posted:

I'm pretty sure that if I say 'the number of civilian deaths per month will go from 3,000 to 1,500 after a limited strike' you will counter with 'without the strikes it would have gone down to 100' and there is no way to prove you wrong.

You're the one proposing action, so the burden of proof is on you. I want to see an awareness of the many factors affecting violence. How will strikes affect the sectarian balance? How will it lead to a mitigation of the violent and exploitative activity by regime elements, rebels and the many foreign fighters and criminals now plying their trade in Syria and its border regions?

Give me an ideal post-intervention scenario, say a year from now. Tell me how strikes will have affected that scenario for the better. I'm not just asking the people in this thread, no one has been able to provide this, from generals to rebels to heads of state. It's plumb amazing how fuzzy thinking gets once everybody who wasn't really paying attention gets involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Brown Moses posted:

I blocked conspiracy superstar Partisangirl last night, and in response she's made a whole Youtube video about me

.ילדה מסכנה. היא אפילו לא יודעת מה אויב רב עוצמה שהיא עשתה בעצמה

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

SedanChair posted:

You're the one proposing action, so the burden of proof is on you. I want to see an awareness of the many factors affecting violence. How will strikes affect the sectarian balance? How will it lead to a mitigation of the violent and exploitative activity by regime elements, rebels and the many foreign fighters and criminals now plying their trade in Syria and its border regions?

Give me an ideal post-intervention scenario, say a year from now. Tell me how strikes will have affected that scenario for the better. I'm not just asking the people in this thread, no one has been able to provide this, from generals to rebels to heads of state. It's plumb amazing how fuzzy thinking gets once everybody who wasn't really paying attention gets involved.

Because those reports that detail what you're asking are not for public consumption. What you're asking for is something a professional analyst would do for quite a bit of money. It's great that you're showing us here how smart you are, but for you're asking for is well beyond what should be expected on a comedy forum.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Volkerball posted:

He's laying out a hell of a case, IMO.

I'm listening to the debate on BBC radio. Pretty lively debate and drat good points being brought up by all sides. The one huge thing being batted around is Iraq and 2003, which made me sad and depressed. It seems we'll live with that retard Bush's stupid decisions for the next 50 years.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Brown Moses, that girl got you got. Wrap it up, imperialist pigdog.

AllanGordon posted:

Because those reports that detail what you're asking are not for public consumption. What you're asking for is something a professional analyst would do for quite a bit of money. It's great that you're showing us here how smart you are, but for you're asking for is well beyond what should be expected on a comedy forum.
By that logic, nobody expects anyone on a comedy forum to call for an armed intervention in Syria either, but somehow here we are.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

AllanGordon posted:

I don't understand. If you don't have the smarts to game it out, why are you advocating for it?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

R. Mute posted:

Brown Moses, that girl got you got. Wrap it up, imperialist pigdog.

By that logic, nobody expects anyone on a comedy forum to call for an armed intervention in Syria either, but somehow here we are.

Lets assume there is some high level intel we do not have that Obama does. Its not Bush this time so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

R. Mute posted:

Brown Moses, that girl got you got. Wrap it up, brownailures.

Fixed that for you.

Also, if the US plan for intervention to stop the mass killings in Syria's step one is bombing, what's step two? Are we going to be part of an international peace keeping force to prevent another civil war from breaking out? Is that peace keeping force going to be UN, NATO, or whoever shows up?

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Vladimir Putin posted:

I'm listening to the debate on BBC radio. Pretty lively debate and drat good points being brought up by all sides. The one huge thing being batted around is Iraq and 2003, which made me sad and depressed. It seems we'll live with that retard Bush's stupid decisions for the next 50 years.

It's not only that. The problems with Bush in 2003 weren't only the lies about the WMD, but also the total lack of a plan regarding the post-Saddam.
Proof or no proof on who used what and where, if there must be an intervention this time, there better be a plan.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

SedanChair posted:

I don't understand. If you don't have the smarts to game it out, why are you advocating for it?

"Prove what you're saying will result in nothing bad happening EVER." QED :smuggo:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Lets assume there is some high level intel we do not have that Obama does. Its not Bush this time so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now
Why? You might as well assume that Obama has some high level other reasons for intervening, so why give him the benefit of the doubt?

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

SedanChair posted:

My apologies you are right. I have not written out a proposal detailing the effects that an intervention would have on every citizen in Syria. Shucks.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

AllanGordon posted:

My apologies you are right. I have not written out a proposal detailing the effects that an intervention would have on every citizen in Syria. Shucks.
Have you considered the effects, at least?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

R. Mute posted:

Why? You might as well assume that Obama has some high level other reasons for intervening, so why give him the benefit of the doubt?

Oh, I don't know, you got me.

Hear that Assad? Carry on with the chemical weapons, nobody cares.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kaal posted:

"Prove what you're saying will result in nothing bad happening EVER." QED :smuggo:

Again, I don't get it. Lobbing cruise missiles at a country full of people shouldn't be taken lightly. I don't expect a magical solution, I drat well do expect some kind of argument that anything will improve. The admin has been very quiet on that front.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Brown Moses posted:

I blocked conspiracy superstar Partisangirl last night, and in response she's made a whole Youtube video about me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5MAmQiYRRQ

I was wondering when the evil femme fatale would show up. You still need a princess to rescue though.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Cippalippus posted:

It's not only that. The problems with Bush in 2003 weren't only the lies about the WMD, but also the total lack of a plan regarding the post-Saddam.
Proof or no proof on who used what and where, if there must be an intervention this time, there better be a plan.

Bush had a plan for post war Iraq. It jus sucked.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

LP97S posted:

Also, if the US plan for intervention to stop the mass killings in Syria's step one is bombing, what's step two? Are we going to be part of an international peace keeping force to prevent another civil war from breaking out? Is that peace keeping force going to be UN, NATO, or whoever shows up?

Another civil war? Isn't the current one plenty enough?

I don't think the currently proposed bombing will end the civil war. At most it will suggest Assad to stop using chemical weapons.

SedanChair posted:

Again, I don't get it. Lobbing cruise missiles at a country full of people shouldn't be taken lightly. I don't expect a magical solution, I drat well do expect some kind of argument that anything will improve. The admin has been very quiet on that front.

Stop being a pedantic rear end for the sake of being a pedantic rear end. There have been plenty of arguments made, you just don't agree with them. For the record, how's this: after Assad sees his poo poo burning, he will stop gassing children. Is that enough of an improvement to you?

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 29, 2013

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Is that partisangirl woman a conspiracy theorist, government agent provocateur or both?

QUILT_MONSTER_420
Aug 22, 2013
nm

QUILT_MONSTER_420 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 28, 2013

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

R. Mute posted:

Have you considered the effects, at least?

Not God man but yes I have considered the facts that doing something to stop the chemical attacks versus nothing would benefit the innocent civilians in Syria more. The west should have intervened much sooner and supporter the FSA much harder, but cant change the past. Going forward a bombing campaign on SNA bases/storage is the best way to save lives in Syria.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Vladimir Putin posted:

Bush had a plan for post war Iraq. It jus sucked.

Well yeah, but I hope you got my point. I should've said, next to plan, "real and serious".

SedanChair posted:

No poo poo, it almost seems that a few cruise missiles will make Assad repent, resignate and open a bright future of peace and harmony for Syria. I have yet to see one post about the desired outcome of the strikes; but what's worse is that we haven't seen an official statement from a head of state about it.
So either Obama, Cameron and Hollande have a super secret plan, or - and this is more likely- they have no plan at all, like in 2003.

Cippalippus fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 29, 2013

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/08/28/opinion/bomb-syria-even-if-it-is-illegal.html

quote:

Bomb Syria, Even if It Is Illegal

The American media is incredible.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Oh, I don't know, you got me.

Hear that Assad? Carry on with the chemical weapons, nobody cares.
Don't do this, please. I'm just asking to at least have a more complex opinion than 'TURN THE DESERT INTO GLASS'. This is a complex issue that will effect a lot of people and which doesn't have a good track record, historically speaking. At the very least we should make sure we're not just blindly rushing into something again, so even if we gently caress up, we'll be able to say that we did the best we could.

This is probably the most annoying thing in this thread. Any time any opposition is raised or tough questions are asked, someone always pops up to basically accuse them of supporting Assad/Ghadaffi/Mubarak/whoever.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Cippalippus posted:

Well yeah, but I hope you got my point.

No poo poo, it almost seems that a few cruise missiles will make Assad repent, resignate and open a bright future of peace and harmony for Syria. I have yet to see one post about the desired outcome of the strikes; but what's worse is that we haven't seen an official statement from a head of state about it.
So either Obama, Cameron and Hollande have a super secret plan, or - and this is more likely- they have no plan at all, like in 2003.

The point of the cruise missile attacks should be to put the fear of God into every military officer and NCO that if they knowingly or unknowingly fire chemical weapons that that their military unit will be erased.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

R. Mute posted:

Don't do this, please. I'm just asking to at least have a more complex opinion than 'TURN THE DESERT INTO GLASS'. This is a complex issue that will effect a lot of people and which doesn't have a good track record, historically speaking. At the very least we should make sure we're not just blindly rushing into something again, so even if we gently caress up, we'll be able to say that we did the best we could.

This is probably the most annoying thing in this thread. Any time any opposition is raised or tough questions are asked, someone always pops up to basically accuse them of supporting Assad/Ghadaffi/Mubarak/whoever.

Why don't you give an alternative plan instead of nothing then. Because doing nothing is a poo poo thing to do.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Nenonen posted:

after Assad sees his poo poo burning, he will stop gassing children.
poo poo's already burning, why would a few fires more cause him to give up? There are enough examples of dictators digging in and doubling down when met with burning poo poo rather than just folding.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'd assume the entirety of the plan is just "Hit Assad's assets with missiles and do enough damage such that he thinks twice before using chemical weapons and maybe gets serious about locking down his control over said weapons".

The consequences of chemical weapons getting used and not provoking a response is that they might just start using them regularly, since it would be established that there's no risk of reprisal. They might not have done much damage yet relative to two years of brutal civil war, but if they became a regular part of the conflict the death toll would likely ratchet up quite fast.

That much, at least, makes sense to me. Keeping chemical weapons taboo worldwide is in everyone's interests, both to keep them from being used and ensure that those states that have them keep a firm grip on them rather than leaving them unsecured.

If his response is to use more of them, I imagine they'll just bomb his assets even harder until he gets the message or collapses.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

AllanGordon posted:

Why don't you give an alternative plan instead of nothing then. Because doing nothing is a poo poo thing to do.
fyi, my position is that there should be an intervention, but that it should have a lot more thought and planning behind it than what's currently being proposed. As long as there isn't a believable plan on the table, I think supporting an intervention is just dangerous and stupid.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

R. Mute posted:

It's not support but yes if you're taking the stance of 'well let's not do anything this time' you're telling him and everyone like him 'hey don't worry when we say poo poo like this is unforgivable, we were full of poo poo, gas freely'.

Comstar posted:

I was wondering when the evil femme fatale would show up. You still need a princess to rescue though.

Uh, read the title, Caro is clearly his damsel in distress.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Nenonen posted:

Another civil war? Isn't the current one plenty enough?

I don't think the currently proposed bombing will end the civil war. At most it will suggest Assad to stop using chemical weapons.

If anything he's referring to the (quite likely) possibility of rebel fracturing and ethnic cleansing in the coastal areas should Assad's government fall.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cippalippus posted:

No poo poo, it almost seems that a few cruise missiles will make Assad repent, resignate and open a bright future of peace and harmony for Syria.

You appear guilty of only mild hyperbole:

Nenonen posted:

Stop being a pedantic rear end for the sake of being a pedantic rear end. There have been plenty of arguments made, you just don't agree with them. For the record, how's this: after Assad sees his poo poo burning, he will stop gassing children. Is that enough of an improvement to you?

Planning is for nerds.

CommieGIR posted:

Notbush=turn off mind.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
I'm really curious what would happen if Assad right now produced a scapegoat general and said, "I'm sorry, world, this was a fuckup. We won't be using chemical weapons again. Have this man's head. Can we forget about it, so that I can go back to killing my citizens with normal weapons again?"

This would be the ideal solution for both Obama and Putin, wouldn't it?

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Is anyone taking Iran's threat to the US against Israel seriously or no?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

LP97S posted:

Fixed that for you.

The point of intervention isn't to stop the mass killings, it's to reinforce the taboo that the West has declared on NBC weapons. We don't care how many unarmed civilians they kill as long as they only do so using Western-approved weapons like guns and bombs and artillery.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

R. Mute posted:

Nobody advocating intervention is suggesting a total strike or total war.

But, Israel says they have communications intercepts, the US agrees and the UN is certain that beyond a shadow of a doubt a chemical attack was carried out, the only people arguing that it was the rebels and nothing should be done is Russia (who is currently comitting raids in their own country against the gays), China, and Iran (who always loves making baseless threats against the US).

The only people who are against some sort of action in the US are literally accepting evidence from conspiracy theorists and people who advocated for the invasion of Iraq!

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Nobody advocating intervention is suggesting a total strike or total war.

But, Israel says they have communications intercepts, the US agrees and the UN is certain that beyond a shadow of a doubt a chemical attack was carried out, the only people arguing that it was the rebels and nothing should be done is Russia (who is currently comitting raids in their own country against the gays), China, and Iran (who always loves making baseless threats against the US).

The only people who are against some sort of action in the US are literally accepting evidence from conspiracy theorists and people who advocated for the invasion of Iraq!

R. Mute posted:

fyi, my position is that there should be an intervention, but that it should have a lot more thought and planning behind it than what's currently being proposed. As long as there isn't a believable plan on the table, I think supporting an intervention is just dangerous and stupid.
I also know a lot of people who are against an intervention for the same reason - they think that no matter how decent a plan would be, it'd always end in tears. Can't fault them, but I still have hope it could turn out okay.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

CommieGIR posted:

That's not true. Many people are thinking that if the only reasons the strikes are going to happen is a. to save Obama's face and b. to reinforce a taboo against chemical weapon use, then the strikes are a bad idea.

Some think the strikes could be a good idea if there were evidence they would bring, on balance, something substantially good to the people of Syria - and are asking for that evidence.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meristem posted:

That's not true. Many people are thinking that if the only reasons the strikes are going to happen is a. to save Obama's face and b. to reinforce a taboo against chemical weapon use, then the strikes are a bad idea.

Some think the strikes could be a good idea if there were evidence they would bring, on balance, something substantially good to the people of Syria - and are asking for that evidence.

Then the better question would be: Those who are against strikes, how would you send the message that the US and other western countries frown ipon the use of chemixal weapons? Sanctions? Blockade? No-Fly zone?

The people against action keep expecting basically full on war plans, which most of us who support action do not even have the intel nor the resources to estimate or plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

QUILT_MONSTER_420 posted:

South Korea was a dictatorship from more-or-less from partition until 1987; the North is a dystopian failed workers' state. Any future reunification will be nowhere near as easy as Germany's -- Germany's was itself not all that easy. Literal millions of civilians died in the conflict. It almost led to the use of nuclear weapons. North-South relations have been an international relations trigger point since partition,

It probably would have been better for Korea, the USA, China, and the world had the US-led coalition not intervened.

So all of Korea could live in a dystopian failed workers' state?

• Locked thread