Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

It's probably pretty safe to assume they didn't update Wind Waker HD's soundtrack, isn't it? I figure if they had put the effort into that it would've been touted as a selling point by now. :( I know they didn't touch Ocarina of Time's soundtrack, but was holding out hope for WW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

MykonosFan posted:

It's probably pretty safe to assume they didn't update Wind Waker HD's soundtrack, isn't it? I figure if they had put the effort into that it would've been touted as a selling point by now. :( I know they didn't touch Ocarina of Time's soundtrack, but was holding out hope for WW.

Yeah man, I remember Wind Waker's soundtrack being bad and awful too.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yeah man, I remember Wind Waker's soundtrack being bad and awful too.

Well, it is MIDI-based instead of fully orchestrated, but there was no way that was going to happen.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You get a gold banana for beating the original DK with 3 lives. They really should have reversed the rewards for beating it on 3 lives and one life. I was so pumped for the old school games being in DK64, and had a lot of fun at first, but it's not fun having to play them for hours to get to beat the actual game.

EDIT: Actually, it may have been one life for the golden banana, too. I just remember you have to beat it twice to beat the game.

The way it worked is after you beat it once you had to beat a harder version of it to get the Nintendo coin.

MykonosFan posted:

The weird thing about OOT's 3DS soundtrack is that originally they were going to remix some tracks, but instead recreated the originals as closely as possible. I think Kondo was the one responsible for that call. The end credits theme is the only track that ended up being noticeably changed.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 29, 2013

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

jonjonaug posted:

The way it worked is after you beat it once you had to beat a harder version of it to get the Nintendo coin.

And it cost you 2 banana coins each time.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

njsykora posted:

And it cost you 2 banana coins each time.

Actually, it only cost you 2 banana coins the first time for both. :eng101:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Macaluso posted:

$50 for an HD remake of any game is ridiculous. Can you imagine if they tried to sell the Remastered Ducktales for $50 instead of $15 (and even then some people thought 15 was too much).

Did you really just compare Duck Tails HD to Wind Waker HD? How is a game that takes an hour or less to beat comparable to Wind Waker? If they took the original Zelda on the NES and made it HD and tried to sell it for $50 dollars then maybe you would have a point. Ducktales HD and Wind Waker aren't comparable at all.

Pokemon Rumble U came out today right? Did anyone go to Gamestop and buy any of the figures?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Commissar Ken posted:

This is late but the closest thing i've played to a classic N64 Collectathon game in awhile was Lego City actually. Tons of secrets and extras and they're almost all well hidden and involve goofy platforming poo poo to get to them. Kinda scratched that itch for me.

I do have Lego City, but I never thought of it that way. Though the game itself is drat fun and is totally worth the money I spent for it!

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I was always really baffled that they made Donkey Kong and Jetpac requirements. You'd think they would just each give you a gold banana, rather than items required to reach the final boss.

Ah yes, the reasons why the Nintendo and Rareware Coins were so hard for me at the beginning. Nowadays, I could probably beat Donkey Kong without much trouble, but Jetpac could be a bit harder.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Folt The Bolt posted:

I do have Lego City, but I never thought of it that way. Though the game itself is drat fun and is totally worth the money I spent for it!

It's definitely the most content-rich game I've played this year... if you define content as unlocking a whole lot of poo poo.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

katkillad2 posted:

Did you really just compare Duck Tails HD to Wind Waker HD? How is a game that takes an hour or less to beat comparable to Wind Waker? If they took the original Zelda on the NES and made it HD and tried to sell it for $50 dollars then maybe you would have a point. Ducktales HD and Wind Waker aren't comparable at all.

I figured someone would bring that up, but the length of the game doesn't come into consideration to me (I just care if the game is good) so I don't see why comparing them is invalid. But whatever it was the most recent remake I could think of. How about that Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes remake that came out for Gamecube that had a bunch of extra features? How much did that cost? Amazon currently has it listed at around $40 used and assuming it was around there when it came out, I still think that's too much for a remake.

Not that I have a stake in any of this any way because I don't own a WiiU right now I just think Wind Waker HD is overpriced.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

zenintrude posted:

It's definitely the most content-rich game I've played this year... if you define content as unlocking a whole lot of poo poo.

Just wait until you get Rayman...

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Not terribly related but I got my Red Wiimote today, its completely legit, though there is a spot on the battery cover where it looks like the previous owner's dog chewed on it.

Pretty sure it came from Japan since they sell Red as a normal color there, but it'll work fine with my Wii U so no trouble. Now just to get a Red Classic Controller and I never have to buy another Wii Controller ever again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I figured someone would bring that up, but the length of the game doesn't come into consideration to me (I just care if the game is good) so I don't see why comparing them is invalid. But whatever it was the most recent remake I could think of. How about that Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes remake that came out for Gamecube that had a bunch of extra features? How much did that cost? Amazon currently has it listed at around $40 used and assuming it was around there when it came out, I still think that's too much for a remake.

Not that I have a stake in any of this any way because I don't own a WiiU right now I just think Wind Waker HD is overpriced.

Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes was a full priced release. So was Resident Evil Remake. Both were effectively new games. They even redid all the voice acting for Metal Gear. There is basically nothing of the original game in there except for the basic structure and design.

The problem with going "I don't look at length" is that it is fine, but that doesn't mean that every game has an equal budget or that all remakes are made in the exact same fashion. Ducktales is a low-budget remake of a simple NES game. Comparing it to a full remake of a Playstation 1 game is silly. They're don't have the same amount of manhours or money put into them.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 29, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid were remade from the ground up. They used completely new art assets, engines, and voice overs, as well as significantly changed how the games were played. Wind Waker HD is closer to the Resident Evil 2 and 3 ports to the Gamecube.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 29, 2013

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

zenintrude posted:

I define content as to being what I can eventually do. As-is, I like being able to unlock things (which is why I like characters being unlockable), so it works well for me.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Macaluso posted:

This makes me think of the Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD remake. It will have both (+30 hours) games on one disc, completely redone models, and most of the music will be remixed. Now that is something I'd pay full price for.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

All of Nintendo's first party games get released on it, and Nintendo's games tend to be small, like 3-5 GB. It's up to other publishers if they want to release on the eShop. Something like Tekken can be up to 17 GB.

You really need an external hard drive (with its own power source) since 8 GB isn't enough space for more than a couple of games. Here's some info about supported drives http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/system_external_storage.jsp

Well I'd have the 25GB of the Deluxe since I'd get the Wind Waker system. As for more storage thanks for the info but drat, they only support Terabyte drives? I don't want to spend a hundred bucks on a drive I'd use at MOST 10-20% of. Laaaaaaame.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Renoistic posted:

This makes me think of the Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD remake. It will have both (+30 hours) games on one disc, completely redone models, and most of the music will be remixed. Now that is something I'd pay full price for.

But FFX/X-2 HD is going to be 40 dollars and it's coming with an Artbook.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

WendigoJohnson posted:

But FFX/X-2 HD is going to be 40 dollars and it's coming with an Artbook.

Oh... I had no idea! That's even better. It's almost enough to make me forget how S-E has been destroying their own brands the past years. Almost.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

katkillad2 posted:

Pokemon Rumble U came out today right? Did anyone go to Gamestop and buy any of the figures?

General consensus over at neogaf is people are walking into gamestop and buying out their complete stock in one fell swoop. I know mine had the same problem. I called ahead because I'm going to preorder the limited edition Windwaker with the ganon figure and decided to ask a whim. Said one guy came in and bought the two or three boxes they had.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Akileese posted:

General consensus over at neogaf is people are walking into gamestop and buying out their complete stock in one fell swoop. I know mine had the same problem. I called ahead because I'm going to preorder the limited edition Windwaker with the ganon figure and decided to ask a whim. Said one guy came in and bought the two or three boxes they had.

They're buying boxes in fell swoops because apparently each case comes with one of every figure, so they can part them and sell them on eBay to people who are just looking for their favorite Pokemon and don't want to deal with the lottery.

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

Bruceski posted:

Well I'd have the 25GB of the Deluxe since I'd get the Wind Waker system. As for more storage thanks for the info but drat, they only support Terabyte drives? I don't want to spend a hundred bucks on a drive I'd use at MOST 10-20% of. Laaaaaaame.

No.
2 terabytes is the maximum size, you can use a smaller one if you like.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

deadwing posted:

They're buying boxes in fell swoops because apparently each case comes with one of every figure, so they can part them and sell them on eBay to people who are just looking for their favorite Pokemon and don't want to deal with the lottery.

Is one box like 18 figures, or is it like 100 figures and guaranteed one of every piece? I need to swing buy and pick some up for my wife, and if that's the easiest and cheapest way to get all the figures I'd like to do that. But I can't afford a 100 fig case. I can afford an 18 figure case.

Tried finding the info myself, but my works websense is deterring me.

*edit*
Found an unboxing video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq3RJFkB7Qg

The full box does not in fact get you each of the 18 mons. You do still have a chance at doubles.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 29, 2013

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Kilazar posted:

Is one box like 18 figures, or is it like 100 figures and guaranteed one of every piece? I need to swing buy and pick some up for my wife, and if that's the easiest and cheapest way to get all the figures I'd like to do that. But I can't afford a 100 fig case. I can afford an 18 figure case.

Tried finding the info myself, but my works websense is deterring me.

It's 18 per case.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I wasn't hip enough to buy a figure or two for shits and giggles, so I just bought that PS3 DuckTales Remastered physical thing instead with the Scrooge McDuck pin, even though I already bought DuckTales Remastered on the Wii U eShop. I think it was for the best, to be honest. No Psyduck, no buy.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mercury Crusader posted:

I wasn't hip enough to buy a figure or two for shits and giggles, so I just bought that PS3 DuckTales Remastered physical thing instead with the Scrooge McDuck pin, even though I already bought DuckTales Remastered on the Wii U eShop. I think it was for the best, to be honest. No Psyduck, no buy.

I'm not quite sure what Psyduck has to do with Ducktales but I agree :v:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Macaluso posted:

I'm not quite sure what Psyduck has to do with Ducktales but I agree :v:

Video game-related shopping trips that don't go 100% as planned tend to digress into me buying something else equally stupid or awesome depending on who you are.

Alternatively, ducks rule.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mercury Crusader posted:

No Psyduck, no buy.

That's my favorite Bob Marley song.

Man, I wasn't keeping track of release dates. W101, Zelda, and GTAV are all coming out pretty near one another. This is how you actually tell Summer is ending. The end-of-year game rush begins. I suppose if you're gonna kick it off, kick it off in style.

Actually really excited to go back to Wind Waker. Think that might've been the last Zelda game I actually finished. Twilight Princess dragged on and Skyward Sword was just frustrating bullshit (gave up when I had to collect gubbins at the volcano. Hated those segments). Also, gonna be great seeing what kind of selfies people take. Really glad Nintendo decided to give Link multiple expressions. Bug-eyed Toon Link is the best Link.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

ChibiSoma posted:

That's my favorite Bob Marley song.

Man, I wasn't keeping track of release dates. W101, Zelda, and GTAV are all coming out pretty near one another. This is how you actually tell Summer is ending. The end-of-year game rush begins. I suppose if you're gonna kick it off, kick it off in style.

Actually, the general sign is that Madden is out (which was this week). This year you had SR4 the week before, but typically the rush of games starts with Madden.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

whaley posted:

I gotta say, "A Hat in Time" looks really bad. No idea why anyone cares about it, and I played the hell out of collectathon games when I was younger. Looks horribly sloppy and outdated. If the Kickstarter didn't say BANJO KAZOOIE every other word I can't imagine anyone caring.

It also has the problem of the lead designer having a pretty bad track record involving drama and plagiarism. He also is pretty bad at not keeping what he promised with a ton of things, so there's a chance that A Hat in Time could completely fall apart and not come out. If anyone's actually looking forward to that game, you should probably lower your hopes a bit.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Dr. Fetus posted:

It also has the problem of the lead designer having a pretty bad track record involving drama and plagiarism. He also is pretty bad at not keeping what he promised with a ton of things, so there's a chance that A Hat in Time could completely fall apart and not come out. If anyone's actually looking forward to that game, you should probably lower your hopes a bit.

I think a good attitude to have towards A Hat in Time is "Oh cool, I liked Banjo-Kazooie. Maybe I'll look into this if it comes out."

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 30, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Dr. Fetus posted:

I have not heard about any of this before. That's pretty sad, actually, because I liked the concept of the game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

No.
2 terabytes is the maximum size, you can use a smaller one if you like.

Nintendo's page of compatible drives just lists 1 and 2TB.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Bruceski posted:

Nintendo's page of compatible drives just lists 1 and 2TB.

Those are just the ones that are officially recommended. Any external with its own power source should work.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
I just bought Harvest Moon on the VC. I am not ashamed - time to go marry the girl next door!

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Vrikkian posted:

I just bought Harvest Moon on the VC. I am not ashamed - time to go marry the girl next door!

If they ever release Harvest Moon 64, I am totally going to woo all the women again to setup marriage-farmageddon.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Those are just the ones that are officially recommended. Any external with its own power source should work.

This may be a stupid question, is there any listing of drives where "external power source" is an option you can filter by? I'm trying to figure out what my options would be size/price-wise but I'm going cross-eyed looking at specs. Maybe I should limit my options, walk into Best Buy or something and see what they have on the shelf.

Bah, why can't I just put a 32GB SD card in there? It works for 3DS games...

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Bruceski posted:

Bah, why can't I just put a 32GB SD card in there? It works for 3DS games...

I'm pretty sure you can, but Wii U games are ~19 GB instead of the ~2 GB 3DS games are. :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Artix posted:

I'm pretty sure you can, but Wii U games are ~19 GB instead of the ~2 GB 3DS games are. :v:

Okay, where can I find size numbers? Earlier someone said "most are 3GB, but some are as big as 17GB." Is there a place to view the Wii U store (up to date, I've found some listings from 9 months ago)from a PC with game sizes so I could say "I'd want this this and this, so that would take up X space" and make a decision from there? I'm currently trying to guess with numbers I don't know and can't find.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Artix posted:

Doesn't work like that. The Wii u doesn't let you install games to SD cards, games and apps use it in their own special ways, and of course the Wii stuff uses it.

• Locked thread