Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Wendell posted:

But they closed his loophole :(

But the US enacted the exact same loophole :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Bank of Scotland completely stopped doing them years ago, but RBS still issue them and they sometimes float around. It's a shame really, because I prefer the idea of a nice foldable note to a fat bulky coin that has a 3% chance of being made of lead and tin.

I'd think that paper bills are way easier to fake if anything. Were these polymer or is US currency not worth enough to merit metal counterfeits?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dogdoo 8 posted:

I'd think that paper bills are way easier to fake if anything. Were these polymer or is US currency not worth enough to merit metal counterfeits?
I think a lot of it is that most people just don't expect coins to be counterfeit. There are some pretty atrocious fakes handed out as genuine currency.

Most UK bills have multiple anti-counterfeiting measures, such as watermarks, metal strips, UV markings, microprinting, etc. Overall about 0.0047% of banknotes are assumed to be fakes, as opposed to 3% of pound coins, so that's quite a difference. Also when the print technology exists to implement anti-counterfeiting, the cost of applying it to a new bill is low, whereas if a counterfeiter manages to work around that, chances are they'll go for the higher (but not too high) value ones, so the £20 makes up most of that 0.0047%. In comparison the technology needed to fake comparatively high value coins like the one pound or one euro is not anywhere close.

It doesn't help that the Swazi lilangeni coin is minted from the exact same planchets as the British pound coin, so it has the same metal, diameter, and mass at a fraction of the cost.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dogdoo 8 posted:

It's actually rather difficult to get the cloth you need to make real feeling US "paper" money, and there's no point in investing in that cloth paper and a proper printing machine for bills under $20 or $50.

Since the largest value coin most people use is a quarter, I can't imagine that stamping out and mass distributing counterfeit coins is a viable long term thing. It used to be more popular when vending machines and other automated coin acceptors just triggered on weight and size, you could easily make metal slugs that would register properly. But now most of them also detect magnetic/electric signal passthrough in them which makes it much harder to just plop out working slugs.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Here's one of my horrible, godawful locals: Elodia, which is totally not a generic RPG.

I love the hastily scribbled character concept art. Note the the erased feet. Obviously they weren't up to the standards of the rest of the drawing. Donate lots and become a tree level club member and get all their future games for free. With a pedigree of titles such as Journey of Special Average Balloon, the possibilities are endless!

click.boom.win a bullet hell where "lasers fly past from all angles", but really just 90 degree ones. The programmer seems pretty terrible in the gameplay videos since he seems to be absorbing a lot of shots.

Victor Surge has a new favorite as of 08:22 on Aug 31, 2013

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Elodia posted:

Yet, Steam users seems to hate our game for their reasons and it will be hard to recover this greenlight campaign. To overcome this challenge we are finding different markets to place our game on

Well, at least they're honest. Might I recommend the Ouya Free the Games promotion?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Install Windows posted:

It's actually rather difficult to get the cloth you need to make real feeling US "paper" money, and there's no point in investing in that cloth paper and a proper printing machine for bills under $20 or $50.

Since the largest value coin most people use is a quarter, I can't imagine that stamping out and mass distributing counterfeit coins is a viable long term thing. It used to be more popular when vending machines and other automated coin acceptors just triggered on weight and size, you could easily make metal slugs that would register properly. But now most of them also detect magnetic/electric signal passthrough in them which makes it much harder to just plop out working slugs.

True, but what people have been doing for at least six years now is washing 5s and 10s and printing much larger bills onto them. It's not common, but it isn't uncommon. Mix it with minimal social engineering, you just got a $100 meal for $25. (And of course you tip well so they don't suspect anything next time)

Ghost Hat
Jun 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Kaizoku posted:

True, but what people have been doing for at least six years now is washing 5s and 10s and printing much larger bills onto them. It's not common, but it isn't uncommon. Mix it with minimal social engineering, you just got a $100 meal for $25. (And of course you tip well so they don't suspect anything next time)

That's why it's important to hold large bills up to a strong light and check the magnetic strip. It has the worth of the bill printed on it.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I bought one of those gimmicky magic wallets (where the bills get folded into elastic bands) because it had a Springsteen album cover on it. It could barely hold coins and broke after a month.

But Kickstarter just announced its expanding into Australia and NZ, so expect microwallets for the plastic bill and gold coin market.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Can I buy a pair of assless chaps and use its picture as a concept for my new "wallet?"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Alan Smithee posted:

Can I buy a pair of assless chaps and use its picture as a concept for my new "wallet?"
Just use a picture of an rear end.

Contains a concealed storage compartment for storing your USB stick of bitcoins.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

Just use a picture of an rear end.

Contains a concealed storage compartment for storing your USB stick of bitcoins.

But how am I supposed to sell something if people cut out the middleman?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alan Smithee posted:

But how am I supposed to sell something if people cut out the middleman?

The invisible middle finger of the free market.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
This is how I imagine you're supposed to browse YOSPOS. I find it amusing that this idea was apparently so revolutionary, there's a second KickStarter for the exact same thing.

Give me a dollar, and I'll write you a word. Tolstoy's War and Peace has a word count of approximately 600,000 and spans about 1500 pages. This guy wants a hundred thousand dollars in total, so he's either going to spend twenty years trying to place all of his submitted words in a vaguely coherent order, write a book that dwarfs even the longest novels in word count, or the resulting word mash will simply suck and not really be readable in any kind of way.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Zybourne Clock posted:

Give me a dollar, and I'll write you a word. Tolstoy's War and Peace has a word count of approximately 600,000 and spans about 1500 pages. This guy wants a hundred thousand dollars in total, so he's either going to spend twenty years trying to place all of his submitted words in a vaguely coherent order, write a book that dwarfs even the longest novels in word count, or the resulting word mash will simply suck and not really be readable in any kind of way.

The trolling opportunities for this are literally limitless.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

The picture for point 3 is fantastic. Skateboarding while wearing a headset that presumably only lets you see through a 2d video taken from an inch to the left of your left eye. What's the worst that could happen.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Great Rumbler posted:

The trolling opportunities for this are literally limitless.

Perhaps, but all he has to do is write a word and you still pay him.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
[/quote]

A quality, well edited book in just over a year?

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Zybourne Clock posted:

This is how I imagine you're supposed to browse YOSPOS. I find it amusing that this idea was apparently so revolutionary, there's a second KickStarter for the exact same thing.

Here's an experiment you can try at home. Hold your smartphone screen really close to your face - like an inch away - while it is showing a movie (or even to read this post).

Nobody who attempts this will invest.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Zybourne Clock posted:

Hahaha oh man the GTAV screenshot they used to illustrate the thing's quality. Not only did they, without permission, use an image from something with no 3D support whatsoever, they ran it through photoshop to crap up the "before" image and make the "after" one look "nice" (see: they cranked up the contrast and mashed the sharpen filter a few times).

And it's been going for less than 24 hours and they've already got £7k with a month and a half to go. This piece of poo poo is actually going to get funded.

edit: and the pitch even reads like something written by a high-schooler :psyduck:

quote:

The principle is very simple and super-powerful; compared to other methods, vrAse creates the 3D image, by sending each eye its own information.

quote:

The Smartphone is a machine built for communications, so you can also stream the contents and games from various devices, such as the PC, MAC and TV.

Pretty good has a new favorite as of 15:05 on Aug 31, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

JDM3 posted:

Here's an experiment you can try at home. Hold your smartphone screen really close to your face - like an inch away - while it is showing a movie (or even to read this post).

Nobody who attempts this will invest.

Those things have lenses. Similar to the Oculus Rift but cheaper I think.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The vrase just beat out G Glass for toolest gadget

SUBLIME!
Mar 7, 2009

my quiver is full~

Zybourne Clock posted:

Uhh

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
What are his headphones attached to in #2 if his phone is attached to his face?

Cerevisiae has a new favorite as of 16:08 on Aug 31, 2013

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
How do you use the phone at all if there's no way for your fingers to reach the touchscreen?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Well Manicured Man posted:

How do you use the phone at all if there's no way for your fingers to reach the touchscreen?
You wait for their next kickstarter, the nostril stylus.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Image looks like they censored his eyes because [they look like nipples] [he is embarrassed and wants anonymity] [is really basilisk whose eyes turn you to stone] [other reason].

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
Can't wait until the first fatal crash when someone using one of those things as a gopro has their battery die/their screen go dead

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!

Well Manicured Man posted:

I asked them and this is their response

vrAse: The Smartphone Virtual Reality Case posted:

Thanks for your interest!
You have different ways to control the games and apps; you can use game pads by Bluetooth, or with voice commands, or with the movement of your head as well with the buttons you have on your smartphone by the side.
Almost every game on the market will be possible to play with vrAse. Even the ones you have on your computer, because you can stream them to your smartphone. We are going to publish an accessible guide to show everybody how to deal with the software. But.... I'm almost sure developers will have solved all these issues before you have vrAse in your hands.
Basically "Other people will figure that out later."

Cerevisiae has a new favorite as of 16:22 on Aug 31, 2013

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I keep reading it as "Arse".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kaizoku posted:

Of course, but that's why you're washing your $5s to make $20s and your $10s to make $50s, instead of washing $1s to make $5s.

:v:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yeah, as a British national I can't not read it as vArse.

Just slide your phone into vArse and attach vArse to your face. Go skateboarding with your buddy and smash your face into a wall when your missus calls to ask you what you want for dinner tonight.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Zybourne Clock posted:

My dreams of becoming the ultimate gamer are near

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

WickedHate posted:

You aren't the only one.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Zybourne Clock posted:

both your links vArse go to the same spot so I'm not sure if you're an idiot and linked the same thing twice or you're an idiot and thought the same link was two different kickstarters.

In more important news, I can't stop reading that product as the vArse rather then the vrAse. It rolls off the tongue much better :v:

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Sigma-X posted:

both your links vArse go to the same spot so I'm not sure if you're an idiot and linked the same thing twice or you're an idiot and thought the same link was two different kickstarters.

In more important news, I can't stop reading that product as the vArse rather then the vrAse. It rolls off the tongue much better :v:

I pasted the same link twice. The other product is called '360specs', and this is their KickStarter.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This looks like a screenshot from a 1990s movie. It has both "extreme" and "cyber" in it, two hallmarks of 1990s direct-to-video cinema.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

WickedHate posted:

Seriously how can this not be a joke.-

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Laphroaig posted:

Seriously how can this not be a joke.-

"I just don't understand why creeps keep asking me if I'm into fisting or coming up to me and yelling 'FALCON PUNCH!'."

"Your shirt depicts a fist moving at the speed of light."

"Oh."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Support vArse! Fist a vArse today!