Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

fatherboxx posted:

there is so much stuff to parody in Metal Gear Solid: Kojima's weirdness, meta stuff, conspiracies and codec calls, but writers rolled with just some lazy box jokes.

There's more to it than just a box section. There's the whole issue with lights, the hilarious ineptitude of the guards, the fact that the evil version of the main character kills Miller, and that the boss fight is basically Revolver Ocelot, Vulcan Raven, and Sniper Wolf all rolled into one. Hell, even the speech evil Boss gives is Metal Gear-esque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TheSpiritFox posted:

I'm in the middle of Asha's recruitment mission and between the Hulk: Ultimate Destruction callback and "That sounds awesome!" I'm still in love with this game :allears:

I'm finishing up the last homie recruitment mission, about how far into the main story am I? I have not started Emergency Situation yet.

Maybe four missions left. The final mission will have a warning text from Kinzie to complete any loyalty quests and a warning if you attempt to start it.

MrTpug
Feb 16, 2011

I just adore having Maero around during battles...I just hear Lt. Worf yelling, "Alien ship above!" :)

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I have a question about the final mission.

If you select Pierce/Shaundi for the second stage, who is the guy that spawns when you clear Shaundi's platform? I didn't recognize him. Looks kind of dark-skinned, wearing a wide bandana and maybe short dreadlocks?

I think it's one of the generic Samedi goons that appears during the loyalty mission. For some reason they didn't have the Samedi wear green.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

MrTpug posted:

I just adore having Maero around during battles...I just hear Lt. Worf yelling, "Alien ship above!" :)

I'd love to drive around with NPH but I would not like to drive around with a hippie reggae DJ guy. :(

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

I'd love to drive around with NPH but I would not like to drive around with a hippie reggae DJ guy. :(

I completely forgot NPH does his voice. They should have just had him play himself. In fact I will give them my wallet if they do a dlc of that.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Bash Ironfist posted:

I completely forgot NPH does his voice. They should have just had him play himself. In fact I will give them my wallet if they do a dlc of that.

He should have been Keith David.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

He should have been Keith David.

But then we wouldn't have had Keith David. :colbert:

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
The reward for defeating those characters in the simulation should have been to unlock their voice actors as homies.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I was tooling around with the Genki Girls and decided to go ahead and start Asha's loyalty mission. I figured they'd get auto-dismissed as soon as it started.

I just about died laughing when I started driving away with the VIP and one of the Girls powerbombs through the car's window into the backseat and the other (the third was, in fact, dismissed and her spot taken by Asha) commandeers a car and starts following along with us.

That's right ma'am, just me and my giggly catgirl assassins here to keep you safe for the evening.:tipshat:

My only real complaint with this game is that the radio stations all need like 20 more songs apiece, the repetition is even worse than actual radio stations.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Hank Morgan posted:

The reward for defeating those characters in the simulation should have been to unlock their voice actors as homies.

God I hope Volition is reading this thread because these are things I honestly wouldn't be surprised that they would do.

TheSpiritFox posted:

I'm in the middle of Asha's recruitment mission and between the Hulk: Ultimate Destructioncallback and "That sounds awesome!" I'm still in love with this game :allears:

What was this?

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 1, 2013

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
OK it's been a while since I've played a Metal Gear game but is the Miller joke about Liquid murdering him in MGS1 or did something happen in one of the Big Boss spinoffs?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

a kitten posted:

My only real complaint with this game is that the radio stations all need like 20 more songs apiece, the repetition is even worse than actual radio stations.

My only real complaint is the lack of U2's The Saints Are Coming (properly remixed to fit the scene) when you drop through the alien spaceship on the final stretch towards Zinyak.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Action Tortoise posted:

OK it's been a while since I've played a Metal Gear game but is the Miller joke about Liquid murdering him in MGS1 or did something happen in one of the Big Boss spinoffs?

It's in MGS1. You spend the whole game chatting with Miller, only for it to be revealed near the end that Miller was found dead in his home and had been so for a long time, and you were really talking to Liquid in disguise.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Crappy Jack posted:

It's in MGS1. You spend the whole game chatting with Miller, only for it to be revealed near the end that Miller was found dead in his home and had been so for a long time, and you were really talking to Liquid in disguise.

Thanks. I saw him in trailers for the upcoming game and I think he's also in one of the portable games I never played so I wasn't sure if I missed anything.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Namarrgon posted:

My only real complaint is the lack of U2's The Saints Are Coming (properly remixed to fit the scene) when you drop through the alien spaceship on the final stretch towards Zinyak.

Did you just wish they put in a Green Day song rather then The Touch?

You monster! :saddowns:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Namarrgon posted:

Wait, what joke is this? I don't remember a master killer reference.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

PunkBoy posted:

There's more to it than just a box section. There's the whole issue with lights, the hilarious ineptitude of the guards, the fact that the evil version of the main character kills Miller, and that the boss fight is basically Revolver Ocelot, Vulcan Raven, and Sniper Wolf all rolled into one. Hell, even the speech evil Boss gives is Metal Gear-esque.

Plus you might be playing as Robin Atkin Downes! Though there wasnt any actual joke about that as far as I remember, which is a shame.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Bash Ironfist posted:

But then we wouldn't have had Keith David. :colbert:

But then we could have had Vice President Neil Patrick Harris. :colbert:

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Tommy 2.0 posted:

What was this?

The box stealth section.

I'm pretty sure it's a callback to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQyaKUjyebY#t=5m39s

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Does somebody have a savegame from after the save matt miller mission? My game always crashes at the end and I can't continue with the story :(

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

TheSpiritFox posted:

The box stealth section.

It's quite obviously Metal Gear Solid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDNUReQWf78

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Sorry if it's been brought up but I did some searching and couldn't find it. Is there a mod that resets targets like Virus Uploads? I feel like doing that would make getting the kill X aliens with Y weapon challenges a lot more bearable.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

codenameFANGIO posted:

But then we could have had Vice President Neil Patrick Harris. :colbert:

I want the Neil Patrick Harris from Harold and Kumar. Put that NPH in my Saints Row, he'd be a perfect match for SR2 Shaundi

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

signalnoise posted:

I want the Neil Patrick Harris from Harold and Kumar. Put that NPH in my Saints Row, he'd be a perfect match for SR2 Shaundi

And then maybe we could give him some dreads and a beanoh my god

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

TheSpiritFox posted:

The box stealth section.

:stare: Holy poo poo that's funny as hell. I need to find that game.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Was it ever established in a previous game that the Saints like Jane Austen? I thought it was a one-off joke that a psychopath puckish rogue would read Pride & Prejudice, but after the post-credits scene, I wonder if I missed a running gag.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Playing as a female with a male voice (my Boss was gender-neutral in 2 god drat it Volition, bring back the slider :argh:) makes the dialogue go a little... weird sometimes. Pierce says he doesn't usually swing that way. I don't think most people do, dude!

:ssh: He says that no matter what gender you are.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
So qtiyd Saints Row is literally the only game series where I don't just read the subtitles and hit next

Also selfie- I like to think I made a character who actually looks like he might've been made as a character in the game instead of some crazy abomination

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 1, 2013

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

VEGETA! WHAT DOES THE SCOUTER SAY ABOUT OUR POLLS?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

a kitten posted:

I was tooling around with the Genki Girls and decided to go ahead and start Asha's loyalty mission. I figured they'd get auto-dismissed as soon as it started.

I just about died laughing when I started driving away with the VIP and one of the Girls powerbombs through the car's window into the backseat and the other (the third was, in fact, dismissed and her spot taken by Asha) commandeers a car and starts following along with us.

That's right ma'am, just me and my giggly catgirl assassins here to keep you safe for the evening.:tipshat:

Yeah in my game I had Kinzie with me in that mission, which was funny since she was super powered at the time, so while your powers got turned off, her didn't and it was her constantly speeding around the streets while you drove in a car.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

FutonForensic posted:

Was it ever established in a previous game that the Saints like Jane Austen? I thought it was a one-off joke that a psychopath puckish rogue would read Pride & Prejudice, but after the post-credits scene, I wonder if I missed a running gag.

Jane Austen was collected by Zinyak, not the Boss.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jumping on a UFO, then freezing it and surfing on it as it crashes towards the ground is the best thing ever.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Whatever you do, DO NOT ROMANCE CID. :stonk:

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Why would you say this

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

signalnoise posted:

So qtiyd Saints Row is literally the only game series where I don't just read the subtitles and hit next

Also selfie- I like to think I made a character who actually looks like he might've been made as a character in the game instead of some crazy abomination

I don't know if it was your intention, but that looks like a swole as gently caress Chuck, and now I want a Zac Levi boss.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

I romanced CID IMMEDIATELY.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

Please don't kinkshame

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

MasonF posted:

It's quite obviously Metal Gear Solid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDNUReQWf78

Oh well fair enough. The Metal Gear series is one I just never really got into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Not So Fast posted:

Jane Austen was collected by Zinyak, not the Boss.

Troy Baker Boss admits to having read Jane Eyre 13 times at the end of The Third. Not written by Austen, true, but maybe The Boss digs works from female writers of the 18/19th century, as Keith David points out by their love of Austen.

The Unnamed One fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 1, 2013

• Locked thread