Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

Why - what would I use this for in FF7? Which bits would I want to speed up?

On a separate note, anyone played Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch and got anything to report? It's going for only £19.97 on Play and even though I'd just be adding to my backlog :rolleyes: it looks like such a beautiful RPG that I might just buy this one. It looks like it has a bit of a Dragon Quest VIII vibe to it... is this the case?

You would use frameskip for everything. Battles, walking, racing, shopping.

Ni No Kuni starts off really strong but peters off. Ignore the capture monster sidequests for sure and don't worry too much about getting a specific creature. (It's a super random)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

Why - what would I use this for in FF7? Which bits would I want to speed up?

On a separate note, anyone played Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch and got anything to report? It's going for only £19.97 on Play and even though I'd just be adding to my backlog :rolleyes: it looks like such a beautiful RPG that I might just buy this one. It looks like it has a bit of a Dragon Quest VIII vibe to it... is this the case?

Ni No Kuni is an absolutely beautiful game that is not really any fun to play and which loses a lot of its charm after the first few hours.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Right, decided - I will pass on Ni No Kuni. Don't need to add a sub-par game to my disgusting list.

In other news, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (:wtc: name) arrived after I snagged it on ebay for like £4. Looks like it's an excellent game that I'm going to lose many hours to.

My interest in Valkyire Profile Lenneth has waned a little. I will give it a few more hours of gameplay but there's a chance it's just not my thing. Bummer, because I was really looking forward to it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

Right, decided - I will pass on Ni No Kuni. Don't need to add a sub-par game to my disgusting list.

In other news, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (:wtc: name) arrived after I snagged it on ebay for like £4. Looks like it's an excellent game that I'm going to lose many hours to.

My interest in Valkyire Profile Lenneth has waned a little. I will give it a few more hours of gameplay but there's a chance it's just not my thing. Bummer, because I was really looking forward to it.

It's not subpar it's just OK with great visuals, old fashioned gameplay and bad AI thats pretty frontloaded in quality.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Kild posted:

It's not subpar it's just OK with great visuals, old fashioned gameplay and bad AI thats pretty frontloaded in quality.

Sounds pretty subpar from that description :colbert:

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

BadAstronaut posted:

The name is a reference to a Queen song, as Queen songs are referenced through the series (Ogre Battle, March of the black queen, etc.)

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

CCKeane posted:

The name is a reference to a Queen song, as Queen songs are referenced through the series (Ogre Battle, March of the black queen, etc.)

WTF? Really? I always thought it was just crazy translation.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yep, It's from A Day At the Races and was a Japanese single due it it partly sung in that language

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teo_Torriatte_%28Let_Us_Cling_Together%29

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

FuzzySlippers posted:

CCKeane is probably the leading SomethingAwful expert on Queen, so I'd take his word at face value here.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

ImpAtom posted:

Ni No Kuni is an absolutely beautiful game that is not really any fun to play and which loses a lot of its charm after the first few hours.

This describes why I'm having so many problems getting through Ni no Kuni as it is so perfectly.

Like, the Studio Gibli aura runs out really quickly when the story starts to "kick" in for a lack of a better word (and then it becomes apparent that this is just another Level 5 game through and through). And I ended up buying it at launch for full price after the massive acclaim some of the gaming press like Kotaku gushed about it. But it is just not that fun to play and it shows no sign of getting better.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Here we go again: Baldur's Gate 2, Enhanced Edition.

Maybe they won't drive the game into the loving ground with incredibly stupid bugs this time?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Stelas posted:

Here we go again: Baldur's Gate 2, Enhanced Edition.

Maybe they won't drive the game into the loving ground with incredibly stupid bugs this time?

So they worked out those licensing issues or whatever?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Why wouldn't you just play the Big World pack instead of spending money on this? It doesn't really seem like this enhanced edition is adding all that much.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

MechaX posted:

This describes why I'm having so many problems getting through Ni no Kuni as it is so perfectly.

Like, the Studio Gibli aura runs out really quickly when the story starts to "kick" in for a lack of a better word (and then it becomes apparent that this is just another Level 5 game through and through). And I ended up buying it at launch for full price after the massive acclaim some of the gaming press like Kotaku gushed about it. But it is just not that fun to play and it shows no sign of getting better.

Man, Level 5 is such a depressing developer. They can achieve greatness, just look at DQ9. But so often they just pump out Another Level 5 Game.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I really liked the atmosphere and monster designs in Ni No Kuni, but the gameplay was a big old meh. The story was actually kinda charming in how simple it was and the battle system wasn't even bad or anything, it just felt half-baked. Bosses were either stupid easy or stupid hard, and the whole spellbook thing was barely even used for how hyped it was.

Despite all that, I actually still had quite a bit of fun with it. I'd say you definitely need to go in with a more oldschool console RPG state of mind.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Cardiovorax posted:

Why wouldn't you just play the Big World pack instead of spending money on this? It doesn't really seem like this enhanced edition is adding all that much.

It adds ease of use and timesaving. No having to fiddle about installing mods and external programs. You just install it and it runs better than the original copy on newer systems and has more content and extra improvements. People will pay for this. I am, I know that, and I used to spend time modding the original games and the like.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I actually liked Suikoden IV, beat it yesterday. Though I was disappointed that the pacing was a bit abrupt and the characters weren't really hashed out a lot.

Elenor and Graham Cray could have been two of the best characters in the whole series, but the way the story was told, they kinda fell short.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CVagts posted:

I actually liked Suikoden IV, beat it yesterday. Though I was disappointed that the pacing was a bit abrupt and the characters weren't really hashed out a lot.

Elenor and Graham Cray could have been two of the best characters in the whole series, but the way the story was told, they kinda fell short.
Yeah, I think it did pretty well at being a PS2 Suikoden. It's worlds better-paced than S3, and has less weird glitches than Suikoden 5. The characters were kind of empty and, for a game with a Japanese title, sure went with the worst localization of Nay-Kobolds they possibly could've, but aside from the ship being on the unwieldy side, I don't really see how it deserves all the vitriol that gets tossed its way.

Of course, I also don't like Suikoden 5, so :v:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I would probably hate it a ton (A TON) less if it was called anything other than Suiko 4, it has some cool ideas and a neat setting but it feels so out of place. Doesn't help that 2 is my favourite JRPG of the PSX era by a wide margin.

I loved 5 outside of the super long intro, what didn't you like about it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Suikoden V is infinitely the better game, even ignoring the names. Suikoden IV was better at being a Suikoden game than Suikoden III, but it was also a much worse game so it didn't really balance out. SIV isn't even really bad in an interesting way. It's just so slow and so bland and so uninteresting that it's a chore to play.

Not even the setting or characters could have saved it. If it didn't have the Suikoden name it would probably have just gotten ignored. Look at how Rhapsodia was recieved. (Although I guess that was called Suikoden Tactics in the US, but that kind of proves the point.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 1, 2013

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

CVagts posted:

I actually liked Suikoden IV... the characters weren't really hashed out a lot.

Use the confessional.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Million Ghosts posted:

I loved 5 outside of the super long intro, what didn't you like about it?
Oh, it's a bunch of little things. Stuff like how some SoDs disappear completely during story sequences, or how some story sequences unswitch event flags that you previously activated and can't reactivate afterwards (the "see the clockwork bridge" event to recruit the Tinkerers in particular). The encounter animation is even longer than Suikoden 4's and its encounter rate is even higher. I didn't like the composer's work on it and I found a lot of the individual instrument synths to be really grating. I don't like how it artificially limits your skill progression, or the timings on some of the recruits (for some reason, Jeane and the Blacksmith spring to mind). It kept tradition with Suikoden 4 and had some unbelievably boring spell animations, and even Suikoden 1 had a more dynamic in-battle camera.

Speaking of cameras, the world map camera felt really jerky and unwieldy for a game that deals in three dimensions--the zoom was either too tight or too wide, and it was static so you often couldn't see where you wanted to look when you would probably expect it to rotate (while Suikoden 4 also had a pretty fixed camera, it was acceptable because of the first-person camera option). I know it was going for the traditional 2D Suikoden look, but that style just doesn't translate at all to the z-axis.

A lot of the game felt very restrictive (the high encounter rate didn't help, and really discouraged exploration) and just didn't give you enough hints or "you can probably come back here later to recruit this powerful guy" previews. The most egregious offender, to me, was that turtle who you needed to have the mercenaries' trainee and like one or two other very specific characters in your party but it had absolutely no indication whatsoever that having them around would trigger this event. Ever. That's Suikoden 5's recruits in a nutshell to me. Opaque as poo poo, you better use a walkthrough or else because you can't even trial-and-error that poo poo.

It's not even about how I don't like the characters or whatever (though I did really hate Lyon's VA); it's just a ton of minor complaints that add up to a grand total of "I hate this game and regret having spent $60 on it."

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 1, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

That's Suikoden 5's recruits in a nutshell to me. Opaque as poo poo, you better use a walkthrough or else because you can't even trail-and-error that poo poo.

I played the game in Japanese and never needed to use a walkthrough. v:shobon:v It's got some annoying ones but no more than other Suikoden games to me and you've got a lot of NPCs dropping hints. The turtle guy in particular is mentioned by several NPCs which is how I found him. In fact you quite literally can't find him without talking to an NPC who mentions him IIRC. Also you're wrong that there is no hint. The characters you need are very specifically the oldest people in the game because the turtle only likes old people, which an NPC also mentions to you. You also only need one of them, all he wants is an Old Character. The trick with him is that he only wants an old character near the hero's level. (Which he'll tell you if you show up with too weak a character. He also won't accept Zerase or Jeanne who he'll show up for but just complain that they "felt old" but are actually young.)

It's got some annoying ones for sure but I feel that way about every Suikoden so I guess it didn't bother me.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 1, 2013

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I guess all the stuff about the camera and music and such is valid, cause that's subjective. I also didn't have much trouble with recruits, but I'm thorough as gently caress in Suiko games after missing motherfucking Zamza of all people in 2 :v:. I mostly loved the fact they made a modern Suiko that actually felt like it took some cues from the older ones, cause 3 and 4 sure didn't.

I also thought the RTS mode was kinda cool even if I would've liked something more like 2's strategy battles better.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Man, Level 5 is such a depressing developer. They can achieve greatness, just look at DQ9. But so often they just pump out Another Level 5 Game.

I was always under the impression that Dragon Quest 8 and 9 were made by Yuji Horii and the team he usually has for Dragon Quest, and that they just used Level 5 for their graphics. Was I mistaken?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Last Celebration posted:

I was always under the impression that Dragon Quest 8 and 9 were made by Yuji Horii and the team he usually has for Dragon Quest, and that they just used Level 5 for their graphics. Was I mistaken?

I've seen enough similar flaws between DQ9 and Ni no Kuni to believe that they're the same dev team. Mostly to do with how hamfisted and grindy most of the sidequests are.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I've seen enough similar flaws between DQ9 and Ni no Kuni to believe that they're the same dev team. Mostly to do with how hamfisted and grindy most of the sidequests are.

Can you get through Ni no Kuni without doing any of the sidequests at least? I just bought it myself and am bummed to see all this negative stuff.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Doflamingo posted:

Can you get through Ni no Kuni without doing any of the sidequests at least? I just bought it myself and am bummed to see all this negative stuff.

Pretty easily, the rewards can be nice but they aren't needed. Most of them are pretty straightforward, I did a majority of them simply because I didn't have to put much effort in. The grindiest ones are the 'catch me 3 monsters' ones, and even then only if you have bad luck.

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013
I was trying to think of jrpgs that are "two player" so to say. The only example I could come up with on the top of my head was Lord of the Rings the third age (I know, US developer but it had the same battle system as FFX) that let the second player control half the party, are there any other jrpgs like that?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
The Tales series, but those are pretty action-y. Same deal with Star Ocean. Uh some buddies and I did a multiplayer run of Final Fantasy Tactics a while back, we each had our own character. I'm not sure there's many options.

Oh yeah, Secret of Mana, and it's sibling Seikein Densetsu 3 if you get the translation patch. Legend of Mana on PSX too.
vvvvv

Million Ghosts fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 1, 2013

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

a cat youtube posted:

I was trying to think of jrpgs that are "two player" so to say. The only example I could come up with on the top of my head was Lord of the Rings the third age (I know, US developer but it had the same battle system as FFX) that let the second player control half the party, are there any other jrpgs like that?

As far as I know all 'Tales of' games let a second person play during the battle segments, certainly the recent PS3 games do. Struggling to think of anything else to be honest, unless you want to play a 20 year old SNES game, in which case Secret of Mana.

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013
Ah I thought the tails games did and I misread the back of the box of ToV and missed the little "Co-op" box on the back of the 360 version.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

As far as I know all 'Tales of' games let a second person play during the battle segments, certainly the recent PS3 games do. Struggling to think of anything else to be honest, unless you want to play a 20 year old SNES game, in which case Secret of Mana.

FF6, FF9, and Crystal Chronicles :downs:

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013
Would it be possible to do 2 players with FF6 and FF9 through emulators?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

Mostly mistaken. Yuji Horii was still the lead designer but outside of that, it was almost all Level-5. Lead Designer is a pretty important role but it's a pretty general one and almost managerial (he sets the overall vision and design goals, and in this case also came up with the overarching story) but that also means most of the writing, world design, side quests, and so on were done by Level-5.

Level-5 is pretty hit or miss but when they hit, they hit strong. DQ8 and 9 were great, I felt, but having someone like Yuji Horii to oversee those really helps. I also really enjoyed the Dark Cloud games and the Layton games but Rogue Galaxy was kind of a mess and I haven't played White Knight Chronicles but heard nothing but really bad things. The shame about their misses is that you can often see a lot of potential in them.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 1, 2013

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

a cat youtube posted:

Would it be possible to do 2 players with FF6 and FF9 through emulators?

I don't see why not, as long as you have controllers or like to snuggle hands on the keyboard.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Playing through Radiant Historia... Is Eruca supposed to be really awful in battle? She can't hit for physical or magical, doesn't have any Move abilities, and no healing skills. Only thing she can do is that party-wide buff.

Really cool game so far, either way.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
She becomes one of the best party members later on, but she does start off weak.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Playing through Radiant Historia... Is Eruca supposed to be really awful in battle? She can't hit for physical or magical, doesn't have any Move abilities, and no healing skills. Only thing she can do is that party-wide buff.

She gets much better later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Nate RFB posted:

She's the best mage in the game that doesn't rely on moving peeps around like Aht does, and has some pretty great skills in general. She basically stops being poo poo once she learns G-Frost.