Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Dr. Erik Brandenburg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
And it's not a 959 - it's a 911 Carrera. Bonus: dude is a proctologist, which seems about right for a Porsche owner. :v:

Article on him: http://www.velocetoday.com/safari-time-for-the-doc/

quote:

I could see why Erik got the nickname Crazy Doc when he wanted to demonstrate the special advantages of his heavy duty Michelin tires with special metal inlays. Doing around 60 mph on a country road he suddenly swerved at right angle directly into a tough kerb marking the footpath. A tremendous jolt, yet nothing happened. No damage done to the steering or the suspension Isnt it fantastic what tremendous shocks these tires can absorb? Any other car would have turned over! Incredible, isnt it?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 31, 2013

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I was out on a motorcycle ride and saw a car show in progress. Here are some highlights:

Sweet Studebaker Champion:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 1, 2013

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Radiator in the trunk cause there wasn't room after they slammed a V16 in there? That's goddamn amazing.
article wasn't there until the edit :ssh:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Holy. loving. :black101:.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

:thurman:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I really want to hear that thing on a top speed run.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
I was driving tonight to go babysit my baby sisters for my mom tonight, and as I was traveling US 301, I encountered one of these

I'm not sure if this picture is EXACTLY the right model, the body is right, but the one I saw had Shelby heraldry all over it.

I really wish I had the opportunity to take a photo of it, it was set up for drag racing, massive rear tires and all, but the guy was just cruising. I caught up to him and even though my ancient Impala could never even dream of holding a candle to that animal, he obliged me with a drag race for a mile just so I could see the thing run. I had never see a Viper in real life before, but after seeing and hearing that one, I'm a convert. It was bonerific. I'm glad Dodge still makes killer performance cars.

[edit] As an aside, for those of you who remember my brief thread that died out, I still have the 63 Impala, just keeping it alive for now. It's my daily driver now, from home to school, and in the last couple months I've put about 2000 miles on it. Odometer is now sitting at 46,045 miles. Other than a stubborn rear main leak and a dire need for replacement exhaust heads, the engine is running well.

11BulletCatcher fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 1, 2013

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

11BulletCatcher posted:

[edit] As an aside, for those of you who remember my brief thread that died out, I still have the 63 Impala, just keeping it alive for now. It's my daily driver now, from home to school, and in the last couple months I've put about 2000 miles on it. Odometer is now sitting at 46,045 miles. Other than a stubborn rear main leak and a dire need for replacement exhaust heads, the engine is running well.

Glad to hear a classic is getting some use, mind throwing another picture up?

Also, seeing that mental 7 reminded me, has anyone seen pictures of a prototype 7 touring? I don't know whether it's just wishful thinking but I'm sure I remember one floating around.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Well fuckadoodledoo. Double post.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I wonder why Audi dont get involved back in WRC? Take a 5cyl turbo TT-RS, Strip it out cage it and throw it into the fray. Would scare the poo poo out of a few manufacturers who remember the Group B days!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ferremit posted:

I wonder why Audi dont get involved back in WRC? Take a 5cyl turbo TT-RS, Strip it out cage it and throw it into the fray. Would scare the poo poo out of a few manufacturers who remember the Group B days!

Doesn't the engine have to be a 2.0lt four in WRC these days?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
1.6L turbo'd.

Just slap a snail on this puppy and you're good to go.

:black101:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Ferremit posted:

If I remember correctly, the powers that be (were) at Audi/VAG during the 80's had no intention of staying in WRC. It was literally one huge publicity stunt to gain attention and advertise their Quattro system. The people actually running the WRC project wanted to Audi to stay in, but knew the corporate culture, which is why the Group S prototype was built as much in secret from the competition as it was from the bosses.

But, seeing as there's already a VW in WRC, and Audi is still going to LeMans, I doubt you'll see another Audi in WRC anytime soon.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

YF19pilot posted:

If I remember correctly, the powers that be (were) at Audi/VAG during the 80's had no intention of staying in WRC. It was literally one huge publicity stunt to gain attention and advertise their Quattro system. The people actually running the WRC project wanted to Audi to stay in, but knew the corporate culture, which is why the Group S prototype was built as much in secret from the competition as it was from the bosses.

But, seeing as there's already a VW in WRC, and Audi is still going to LeMans, I doubt you'll see another Audi in WRC anytime soon.

Also, at the time Audi dominated rallying with Quattro. The downside being that the engine was completely forward of the front wheels and the cars understeered very badly. When other manufacturers turned to 4-wheel-drive with rear-engined cars the Audis lost their advantage and couldn't match the handling of the other cars. Quattro GmbH actually built Sport Quattro S2s that were 4-wheel-drive and rear-engined to match the competition, but Ferdinand Peich heard of this and demanded the project was stopped and scrapped. Audi couldn't be seen to say that their front-engine Quattro system was inferior to rear-engined cars. They withdrew from rallying to prevent damage to the Quattro brand.

I'll try find the articles on the S2, it's fascinating. It was pre-Group S, the S2 prototypes were dismantled, and little is known about the entire project.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
So they're actually going to make Phantasm V? :v:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

All that is going through my head is "Boy, you are about to enter a world of pain"

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
This Caddy might possibly be the coolest Caddy ever and screw a CTS-V. More info here.
http://bangshift.com/blog/car-feature-the-176mph-lsr-1970-cadillac-coupe-de-kill-caddy-powered-and-homebuilt.html

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Stanced cars go in the other thread.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I thought stanced meant silly camber and such? That monster is just bagged and dumped and totally in the right thread considering it runs 1/4 mile in 10.9@127mph and weighs as much as my house.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I love that bonnet mechanism. Is that standard on the base car, or something they've done?

Edit:
Drove up the A15 today, so of course had to get a quick shot of the XM607 Vulcan.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 2, 2013

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

God drat, that's a big turbo.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

No its in the right thread, that thing is amazing

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

OptimusMatrix posted:

screw a CTS-V

Lets not say things we can't take back! :devil:

That Caddy is pretty sick though, christ almighty.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

I mean, I get that it's (probably hopefully) a movie prop, but what is it?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Coasterphreak posted:

Looks like if one of the pods from 2001 got tossed into the Alien franchise.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

I request a one-time exemption because of the following points:

quote:

Sean bought the car from a junkyard in Ohio where it had been sitting out front for ages. The vehicle had been set on fire at some point and the interior was completely charred.

quote:

This whole car is just a series of bad decisions, the self effacing Mote told us during the time we chatted him up. He loves to take cracks at himself and his abilities, but theres major irony in that. He built this car, like all of it. The cage? Sean. The fiberglass hood and front bumper? Made them with friends. Turbo plumbing? Hand fabricated by him. Mustang Fox-body adapted front suspension? That too.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry, it was like shooting fish in a barrel and I couldn't resist myself :ironicat:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
It isn't really stanced anyway, it's low for aero/stability, which is actually cool.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Mooseykins posted:

God drat, that's a big turbo.

Big turbo, you say?

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Coasterphreak posted:

If there was a giant explosion behind it, I'd say Michael Bay movie prop.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

One my of my favorite cars, seemed well taken care of:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

T1g4h posted:

Haha, I'll see about getting some pictures of it and posting them up when all is said and done. We've actually got a few cool trucks, including a new F550 rescue with a remote nozzle, foam tank, etc.

Well, I think we only paid like $300 for the M916. Plus, i'm not sure if we'd be able to fit the M123 anywhere. I still want one now though, holy poo poo that is awesome. We've already had a discussion about what to do when we have to cross a low water bridge that's barely wide enough for a normal car, and the answer was "Just drive through the river!" so I imagine the M123 would be even better for that situation :v:
Badass. I recommend some Michelin XMLs or XZLs before you try to drive through a river, you really don't want to attempt that with NDTs/NDCCs unless you enjoy sitting in rivers waiting for a wrecker.

And yeah, DRMO program is great - remember that your department can't sell the trucks to anyone, if they aren't needed anymore they go back to DRMO which then puts them up for auction on govliquidation/GSA etc as they would have if they hadn't gone to you guys.

Giblet Plus! posted:

i think the M916A3 is better
  • series 60 detroit
  • 52k tufftrac walking beam suspension
  • taper leaf front end

Automatic, but that is a burly loving engine. 1450 pound feet and 430hp?! :aaaaa:

stump
Jan 19, 2006

El Laucha posted:

One my of my favorite cars, seemed well taken care of:

I'm not usually a supercar guy but Chris Harris's updates on his 512TR (which is getting used properly, unlike a lot) have been making me fall in love with them.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=28180

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
In getting ideas for my impending Subaru project, I found a thing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Preoptopus posted:

In getting ideas for my impending Subaru project, I found a thing.

It's the Australian version of the American redneck pickup stereotype. Instead of lifted hillbilly trucks with light bars it's lowered bogan utes with roobars.

That vt (I think) is particularly terrible).

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Ah...Australia.

It's exactly what the US would be like if we hadn't won the revolutionary war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
It's important to show your alcohol/footwear/clothing allegiance too