Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
all graham is saying is that startups die when they run out of money and people who invest in startups are bigots.

that's all he's saying vOv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

shrughes posted:

observing that people with heavy accents are bad at being a YC company is no more xenophobic than observing that people with vaginas are bad at programming

poo poo hn says

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Stringent posted:

all graham is saying is that startups die when they run out of money and people who invest in startups are bigots.

that's all he's saying vOv

pg posted:

One advantage startups have over established companies is that there are no discrimination laws about starting businesses. For example, I would be reluctant to start a startup with a woman who had small children, or was likely to have them soon.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
i'd be perfectly willing to start a startup with a woman if she agreed to let me hand-feed her birth control pills

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
i think that's an actual lifehack

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
children are the real startups

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

qntm posted:

children are the real startups

woah

so zen

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
:quagmire:
hey baby

let's schedule a face-to-face

make me part of your seed round syndicate

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
its so easy but

shrughes posted:

hey baby

let's schedule a face-to-face

make me part of your seed round syndicate
         /
        /

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

shrughes posted:

observing that people with heavy accents are bad at being a YC company is no more xenophobic than observing that people with vaginas are bad at programming

ok so how xeophobic is it to point out people with vaginas are bad at programming

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Deacon of Delicious posted:

ok so how xeophobic is it to point out people with vaginas are bad at programming

not at all! just sexist

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

has anyone pointed out that people with penises are also bad at programming

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

why do you think they call it unix

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

shrughes posted:

i'd be perfectly willing to start a startup with a woman if she agreed to let me hand-feed her birth control pills

what? eww

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

yaoi prophet posted:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

yaoi prophet posted:

Nice!

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

shrughes posted:

so long as that bc wasnt from planned parenthood because rule 36 dude

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

https://github.com/jloughry/BANCStar/blob/master/README.md
:stare:

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

yaoi prophet posted:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

quote:

It was originally intended as generated code from a user interface-building tool — similar to bytecode rendered in ASCII — but due to limitations in the tool, it became a directly programmed language in itself.

There's a lesson here.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Yah don't code for a bank

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
how do i license my open source projects to not allow banks?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
another lesson: Seattle is the place that seething misanthropes call "home"

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

PleasingFungus posted:

There's a lesson here.

The lesson remains unlearned and the damage is irreversible.

in other news lisp was designed with an algol/fortran like syntax, but they started using s-expressions and got used to them

quote:

Another reason for the initial acceptance of awkwardnesses in the internal form of LISP is that we still expected to switch to writing programs as M-expressions. The project of defining M-expressions precisely and compiling them or at least translating them into S-expressions was neither finalized nor explicitly abandoned. It just receded into the indefinite future, and a new generation of programmers appeared who preferred internal notation to any FORTRAN-like or ALGOL-like notation that could be devised.

lisp's head and tail are ibm assembler instructions, but they got used to them, because they could write caddadddadaadar

quote:

And then a few weeks later I had a user population of about a dozen, most of them friends, and I didn't want to screw up my embedded base. The rest, sadly, is history.

or why makefiles have tabs

programming language syntax is a series of popular accidents and we live with the qwertyuiop of code to this day

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
This makes my experiences with Model 204 look like luxury in comparison.

Where's AD to regale us with MUMPS horrors?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

mnd posted:

This makes my experiences with Model 204 look like luxury in comparison.

Where's AD to regale us with MUMPS horrors?

irc, he's moved on from coc after being drowned out by c++ spergs, and by that i just mean insistent on bullet pointed lists, rather than actually knowing c++

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

tef posted:

and by that i just mean insistent on bullet pointed lists, rather than actually knowing c++

haha

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

tef posted:

irc, he's moved on from coc after being drowned out by c++ spergs, and by that i just mean insistent on bullet pointed lists, rather than actually knowing c++

are you calling me out here

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Vanadium posted:

• are you calling me out here

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tef posted:

in other news lisp was designed with an algol/fortran like syntax, but they started using s-expressions and got used to them

i found a textbook that used M-exprs once. it included S-expressions but only to demonstrate syntax trees in memory. aaaaaall the code was M-expr all the time

i read it just for fun; i have no idea how students were intended to do the exercises. as far as i know, no one ever wrote an M-expr parser or compiler (pencil and paper?)

in hindsight i shouldn't have returned that book to the library. it had no practical purpose, only entertainment

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

quote:

It was originally intended as generated code from a user interface-building tool — similar to bytecode rendered in ASCII — but due to limitations in the tool, it became a directly programmed language in itself.

this is how as/400 took off
someone wrote an interface-building tool and that was the software that caught fire in the 1990s

ibm being ibm, they had been trying to sell to midsize businesses like bank branches for 30 years, to little success, and they had like four incompatible processor architectures: S/32, S/34, S/36, S/38. for as/400 they decided they were going to unify all of them, so the new system had to have a superset of all prior features

to pull this off, they had the best abstraction of all: TIMI. program authors had zero ability to execute assembly/machine code. TIMI was the lowest level available. to make it future proof, it used 128 bit pointers. yes. 128 bits.

AS/400 had the same "problem" as bancstar, where everyone ended up writing compilers that generated TIMI, but because TIMI didn't suck, it was a victory

there is some other wild stuff, like no distinction between memory and disk (store is store), and HALs to make your head spin, but that's a story for another day

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 2, 2013

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

ibm makes architectures with really neat ideas. like system/360 introduced virtualization so they could get 1401 compat. and its just silly how resilient you can make an ibm mainframe installation

then they charge a jillion dollars for everything, sell ten systems, and barely anyone learns about or uses cool ibm architectures

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nomnom Cookie posted:

ibm makes architectures with really neat ideas. like system/360 introduced virtualization so they could get 1401 compat. and its just silly how resilient you can make an ibm mainframe installation

then they charge a jillion dollars for everything, sell ten systems, and barely anyone learns about or uses cool ibm architectures

i saw an ISV estimate a few years ago that 80% of mainframe revenue came from just 300 sites

the scary thing about that is that if you read surveys of mainframe users, most (as in more than half) not just plan to keep their mainframes indefinitely, but actively put new workloads on them

it's very possible that IBM's mainframe business is a crazy profit-making machine, and it's just a really small number of customers writing really big checks

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I looked at Rust yesterday. It's ugly as gently caress. Uglier than C++.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
I think we've gone down this rabbit hole before

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

yea but in c++ the rabbit hole is turing-complete

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Baller sig btw

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Baller sig btw

baller.... or ballmer?

PS: someone plz xplain rust lifetime poo poo to me like a i'm five, tia

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

baller.... or ballmer?

uh so you have stack objects which live on the stack

then you have managed pointers which are just reference counted. these are local to a task and when copied are just pointer copies.

then you have owned pointers. the difference is these are always deep copied if you want em and they live in the heap that all tasks can access.

borrowed pointers are always shallow copy operations, and its a normal pointer that the compiler checks for certain things. if you are borrowing a managed pointer, the compiler automatically adds a sentinel managed pointer when necessary so that the memory isnt gced. thats pretty simple.

if you are borrowing an owned pointer, the compiler insures that the owned pointer is not being moved or reassigned while the borrowed pointers are in scope. this last bit is important because the memory associated with an owned pointer is freed under reassignment or going out of scope.

rust also allows you to attach a specific lifetime to a borrowed pointer, which is p cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

baller.... or ballmer?

it was born in 2009 or something and will never really live and finally die in like 2018