Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
One of the devs posted this on the live forums. But it just brings up more questions and only answers that we are really getting augments, every other little extra thing related to horizontal progression has been scrapped so far.

And since Joel can no longer be unique in game with his halo, he blinged out his outfit. I want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I get I'm always using a loving pipe unless there's a comically large Mario-esque hammer around.
One of the mid-QL blues, I think QL7, is a giant pipe wrench.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Welp, I managed to gimp my xp in The Savage Coast. I got my blades skill up to 7, and instantly everything in the area went from white to blue, and my xp dropped dramatically.

Oh well, if I wasn't such a completionist, needing to do every quest, I wouldn't have these terrible problems.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Here's a cool Savage Coast tip: Skip 'Ami Legend', because that quest is some loving bullshit.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Brain In A Jar posted:

Here's a cool Savage Coast tip: Skip 'Ami Legend', because that quest is some loving bullshit.

Already finished it. What did you find bullshit about it? I didn't think it was too bad, except I got kind of lost trying to get back out of the cave.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Brain In A Jar posted:

When I was levelling not only did I enjoy that mission but I repeated it for skill points :colbert:

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

The Locator posted:

Already finished it. What did you find bullshit about it? I didn't think it was too bad, except I got kind of lost trying to get back out of the cave.

At the time I ran it, I had little to no healing skills bought, and when you get into the end gauntlet there's no break for passive healing, so you're basically screwed if you're not carrying potions.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Brain In A Jar posted:

At the time I ran it, I had little to no healing skills bought, and when you get into the end gauntlet there's no break for passive healing, so you're basically screwed if you're not carrying potions.

There's a lot of gauntlets like that throughout the game. A good tip for potions is to the craft leech versions (the ones you make with fire). While all the other kinds get less useful as you gain more health, the leech ones restore a percentage of the damage you deal, so the versions made with lower quality ingredients are still effective as you level up. :science:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
And they get incredibly hilarious in the endgame when the cheap-rear end 30% leech potions refill most of your HP every attack.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Well, found a couple buggy quests today. One of which I was able to complete, the other... not so much.

Actually, it was a different point in the same quest.

1) Kill 13 zombies. Somewhere around 7 or 8 kills in, the quest just reset to the previous step (inspect a hunting map). I ran back, inspected the map, and was back to 0/13 zombies. Welp.

2) 2 or 3 steps later, kill some things, find a survivor, and destroy a bug nest. Got them all except the bug nest, kill bug nest, kill the giant queen bug that appears, but the step never completes. I did it 2 times, nada. I'll try again the next session in case re-logging fixes it.

The most frustrating quest so far has to be one that was assigned by my faction, involving running around in Agartha trying to follow some dude that I never once saw, not even back when I first supposedly 'spotted' him back in Seoul. Sort of hard to follow/chase someone that was never visible. The fight at the end of that once I finally got through Agartha without slitting my wrists (barely) was pretty epic though, lasted almost long enough for a 3rd potion, and I died the first attempt.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

The Locator posted:

Welp, I managed to gimp my xp in The Savage Coast. I got my blades skill up to 7, and instantly everything in the area went from white to blue, and my xp dropped dramatically.

You didn't gimp your xp, because mobs give the same amount of xp regardless of the strength of your character, and the amount of xp needed to gain one AP is always 40,000. Missions are a slightly different matter, with those above your "level" giving reduced rewards. It's something like this:

Normal or easier - 100% experience
Hard - 95% of Normal
Very Hard - 85% of Normal
Devastating - 35% of Normal

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

The Locator posted:

Well, found a couple buggy quests today. One of which I was able to complete, the other... not so much.

Actually, it was a different point in the same quest.

1) Kill 13 zombies. Somewhere around 7 or 8 kills in, the quest just reset to the previous step (inspect a hunting map). I ran back, inspected the map, and was back to 0/13 zombies. Welp.

If this is the hunting mission in the Wabanaki trailer park where you have to kill the zombies in the burial grounds, that's not a bug - the first tier of that quest is timed. I'm not sure why, since none of the others are, but there you go.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Frankenstein Dad posted:

You didn't gimp your xp, because mobs give the same amount of xp regardless of the strength of your character, and the amount of xp needed to gain one AP is always 40,000. Missions are a slightly different matter, with those above your "level" giving reduced rewards. It's something like this:

Normal or easier - 100% experience
Hard - 95% of Normal
Very Hard - 85% of Normal
Devastating - 35% of Normal

Well crap. I've been doing a bunch of quests 'above' my level based on that, I was wondering why the rewards weren't matching up with what the quest said. Doh.

As for the mobs, I swear they were giving less xp, but I'll take your word for it, at least until I get bored and test it out. :)

packetmantis posted:

If this is the hunting mission in the Wabanaki trailer park where you have to kill the zombies in the burial grounds, that's not a bug - the first tier of that quest is timed. I'm not sure why, since none of the others are, but there you go.

That's odd. I don't think I took a side-trip that would have caused it to time out, and the 2nd time through when it worked, I did take the time to kill the large boss-guy in the corner of the grave yard in the middle. Oh well. Thanks for the info, I'll pay more attention to whether there is a timer on missions going forward.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Frankenstein Dad posted:

I think missions below your level degrade XP past a certain point too. I went back to check some investigation missions that I skipped at one point and the XP had dropped considerably.

The Locator posted:

I was wondering why the rewards weren't matching up with what the quest said. Doh.
The rewards should reflect the degraded value, it's just split up: The first half of the total XP is split into equal chunks for each tier, and then completing it and sending the report awards the second half.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Guess who did almost all of the Issue 7 stuff last night but forgot to bring his flamethrower?

This guy!

Fagmaster
Aug 21, 2004

The Locator posted:

2) 2 or 3 steps later, kill some things, find a survivor, and destroy a bug nest. Got them all except the bug nest, kill bug nest, kill the giant queen bug that appears, but the step never completes. I did it 2 times, nada. I'll try again the next session in case re-logging fixes it.

There are two different types of burrows, Ak'ab burrow and royal Ak'ab burrow. You need to destroy that not royal one for the first tier.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Fagmaster posted:

There are two different types of burrows, Ak'ab burrow and royal Ak'ab burrow. You need to destroy that not royal one for the first tier.

Yep, found it today after cheating and using Google.

Thanks.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I just started playing this and with the massive multitude of builds I am confused as gently caress. I have an assault rifle and blood magic right now, would like to have a decent solo build with capacity for healing. Any suggestions?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Dohaeris posted:

I just started playing this and with the massive multitude of builds I am confused as gently caress. I have an assault rifle and blood magic right now, would like to have a decent solo build with capacity for healing. Any suggestions?

Can't give you any specific suggestions, since I'm on my first build/run through right now.

I found this thread to be very good:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=69778

Also:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=48938

I started with this one - http://wordpress.tswguides.com/my-first-60-inner-wheel-survival-soloing-with-bladefist/

There is a link on that page to take it from a 60 point build up to 400 - but it's somewhat out of date as some of the skills in the game don't appear to do what the build guide says they do, so I assume that some have changed in updates. It's working well (although slightly modified by me), but I need to work out a DPS build for dungeons that has ranged, as well as a better build for single-target stuff for some areas, as the build is very AoE heavy.

Join the in-game channel (/chat join awful - see the op on how to make this automatic), and we can chat if nothing else, and maybe help with questions.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

OneEightHundred posted:

I think missions below your level degrade XP past a certain point too. I went back to check some investigation missions that I skipped at one point and the XP had dropped considerably..

This applies to investigation missions only. Used to you couldn't repeat them, Funcom then made them repeatable but for vastly reduced XP.

Non-Investigation mission reward XP does not degrade, ever.

People really need to stop making things up and check their facts before posting stuff like this.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

GEMorris posted:

This applies to investigation missions only. Used to you couldn't repeat them, Funcom then made them repeatable but for vastly reduced XP.

People really need to stop making things up and check their facts before posting stuff like this.

Except All Roads Lead to Rome. That investigation is still bugged out to always reward it's full amount.

Rainbow_Horse
Apr 23, 2002

Dohaeris posted:

I'm AR/Elemental which I think is pretty awesome. There's a post on the offsite forums with some information about the build. My favorite thing about AR/Ele is Anima Charge and Lock N Load which become available pretty early so you can do stuff like: build x5, AR consumer, Lock N Load, AR consumer, Ele Consumer, Anima Charge, Ele Consumer. Not to advocate that you change to AR/Ele, but you should look for spammable combos because they make life easier. AR/Blood seems like it would be neat with leechs and barriers, but I don't know about their abilities to make specific combo suggestions.

I don't think it's really worth leveling with too many dedicated healing abilities. I ran around as AR/Fist for a while, which was decent enough, but you know what they say about the best defense. While leveling I think it's better to go full damage, melt faces, and eat tacos. Once you're in Egypt and beyond AP/SP come quicker so you can start working on a high point heal/survival build.

Rainbow_Horse fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 3, 2013

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
It's lovely outfit day and Funcom didn't disappoint!

Face paint and tattoos not included.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Monthly subscriber items are out as well: Kabuto Samurai Helmet and Oni Samurai Mask. They aren't exciting me -- at least, they aren't making me want to change from my unicorn mask -- but they're fine.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

guppy posted:

Monthly subscriber items are out as well: Kabuto Samurai Helmet and Oni Samurai Mask. They aren't exciting me -- at least, they aren't making me want to change from my unicorn mask -- but they're fine.

Once again I wish the unicorn visage wasn't in the hat slot. I would love to be the samurai unicorn.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Len posted:

Once again I wish the unicorn visage wasn't in the hat slot. I would love to be the samurai unicorn.

You better loving believe that was the first thing I tried.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

GEMorris posted:

I'm not referring to the degradation from redoing them, I mean there are investigation missions that I haven't done on some characters in New England that I'm pretty sure are listing diminished rewards.

I'll double-check and see if I can find some examples.

e: Okay, apparently that's not it, it's just that there's a ridiculous amount of variation in their base XP even in the same zone for some reason.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 4, 2013

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I've been considering getting back into this game again soon, I was just wondering A. How the goon presence is these days, and B. Are we ever going to Tokyo, if so, when?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Roach Warehouse posted:

I've been considering getting back into this game again soon, I was just wondering A. How the goon presence is these days, and B. Are we ever going to Tokyo, if so, when?

Goon presence is not quite dead, but close enough for the moment. The lack of new content has caused most goons to wander off for the time being. But we still see a few new players every week and the random group of nerds who like to run their daily nightmare dungeons.

Tokyo should be out by the end of the year if Funcom keeps to their DLC release schedule. And later this month or early next month we will get the brand new end game grind in the form of scenarios, which are solo and five man pseudo-random instances which give 'something' that allows us to unlock ability augments.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
OK, I haven't played in a while, but did they patch something that screwed up the color palette or the display or...? My characters look like they have gangrene or jaundice...

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
So apparently they did something to Anima Shot and it no longer builds resources. Well...drat.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Geary does it again:

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha! You killed what?
That’s amazing. It’s like Paris Hilton and Snoop Lion teamed up to do some geomancy. poo poo, I’d better make sure her hypnotherapist hasn’t been mindfucking her again.
As for you, nice work saving the world from Blingzilla. If more of them pop-up, you know what to do.

Something coming soon, more info can be found on the offsite in my spoilers thread.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I have another dumb question. Got my free 1200 points for doing 30 missions, is there anything particular I want to buy? A mission pack of some sort? Also didn't realize buying the game gave me subscriber for 30 days. Time accelerator woo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

HughGRect posted:

Geary does it again:

I don't want to find out what the context of this is. The concept of a Blingzilla is too amazing to spoil.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Dohaeris posted:

I have another dumb question. Got my free 1200 points for doing 30 missions, is there anything particular I want to buy? A mission pack of some sort? Also didn't realize buying the game gave me subscriber for 30 days. Time accelerator woo.

Hold off on buying a pack until Issue 8 releases, that one proves to be the most content heavy with repeatable content. Should be in the next couple weeks.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Fun Fact about the end of Issue 8:

When Lilith traps you in that green orb in Agartha, she's just using a ring on her finger. Fits with the whole "her only magic is manipulation" thing.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Help, I made a melee DPS build and I have fun playing it in Elites but I'm worried people are going to Get Mad if I keep using it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Wait, what? Is the new issue out?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
I think Cheston meant issue 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

guppy posted:

Wait, what? Is the new issue out?

Oh, yeah, I meant Issue 7, sorry.

(but I'll take bets now on whether Issue 8 will have one of those wave defense Barrel missions from the junkyard, and not the "soloing an Elite boss" one of my dreams.)

• Locked thread