Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Iriquois posted:

BF: Bad Company 2 more or less totally embraced this concept by giving the assault class a smoke grenade launcher with unlimited ammo, and the thickness of the smoke stacked. You could drop a pretty large chunk of map to near zero visibility in a few seconds. Classic.

I have over a thousand smoke grenade kills in BC2. It is the Best Weapon and got me a decent amount of rage when I played regularly, mostly hacking accusations as it is not an easy weapon to get kills with at all.

Speaking of BC2, lately I've found that people rage pretty hard if you use a red dot bolt-action sniper with magnum ammo. I went and recorded a few pieces of fan mail from the last time I used it a little while ago. I should get back to playing it some more to see what else I can get from people who take a 3-year-old console FPS game that seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
BC2 had so many hilarious gimmicks and joke loadouts the easiest way to grief me is to say that it's not the best populated BF game around, 3 years old or not. :unsmith:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Here's a proper Randy the Robot video with some good buildup; trolling 360 Minecraft

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Anal Papist posted:

Age of Wushu

In age of wushu there is no traditional auction house that you roll up to anytime you feel like and place bids or list items. Instead there is a small period of time dubbed "Stall Madness" when players get to bid on stalls that last a week. Didn't get a stall? Then you can't list items the regular way and have to fight for a spot in a temporary stall that lasts for an hour against bots and alts. So these stalls are fought over regularly and often intense bidding and fighting occurs ion the last minutes around a cheap stall. Knowing that this week I had few items to sell and not enough money to legitimately bid I decide to go and annoy those that did.

This player Hemlock has taken a stall in a very visible spot for weeks and weeks. Even though anyone is free to bid and the stall goes to the highest bidder he sees it as his stall, and anyone standing near it or trying to outbid him is seen as a grave personal insult. In wushu it is possible in certain situations to make yourself invulnerable in cities to perform certain tasks like temporary stalling or setting up a divination shop. You can't move or attack, but you can speak. I kept chatting to passersby that the stall is very cheap and they should place a bid. Eventually one does because hemlock's bid was very low. The timer ticks down and he loses. He is enraged.

He followed me to another zone where our guild base is, and killed other goons standing around. When you kill people in wushu they are given an option to bounty you if you are the aggressor and it is not during a pvp event. So Goons died to hemlock then placed a large bounty on him. We then killed him and he spent 5 hours in jail. On his guild's teamspeak he raged and called out people for not joining in his attack, and not being outraged at what I had done. He has since quit his guild.

TLDR: Player got mad because he thought a certain open to all part of the game was his only, gets mad enough to end up in the game's jail for 5 hours, then quits his guild.

I want to make sure this doesn't get lost, but also to note that the guy in question lost a hell of a lot more in his temper tantrum than he did from being outbid. He basically lost a week's income, but since reinvestment is slow at best in Wushu, it's not like this is catastrophic, merely inconvenient. Pissing off your guildies though, might as well just quit after that.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

That's not trolling, he's clearing away a fire hazard. :commissar:
ANY minecraft player with braincells knows to not build their entire house out of flamable materials, especially the outside. Any half-decent minecraft player wouldn't make their house out of flammable materials on a server with fire-spread enabled, let alone have their house above ground where it can be easily found and raided.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ahahah, those new emotes just make poo poo better. They're so awful.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
You've set my house on fire three times already but I'm not going to kick you out of the game and keep inviting you back in :v:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

SugarAddict posted:

ANY minecraft player with braincells

... they're on xbox.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Cannot Find Server posted:

Speaking of BC2, lately I've found that people rage pretty hard if you use a red dot bolt-action sniper with magnum ammo. I went and recorded a few pieces of fan mail from the last time I used it a little while ago. I should get back to playing it some more to see what else I can get from people who take a 3-year-old console FPS game that seriously.

Red dot .50 cal, natch. First, rage if you run into the middle of the battle with it. Second, rage if you still use it as a sniper rifle and pick off people from across the map.

I also like to use the shotgun+slugs as a sniper rifle. (BF3 even gave them scopes, right?) My ultimate troll loadout as the engineer is Remington 870 with slugs + tracer pistol + RPG-7. Shotgun for distant enemies, tracers to annoy my own team mates, repair tool and RPG-7 for close quarters.

Iriquois
Jun 6, 2013

Missing Name posted:

My ultimate troll loadout as the engineer is Remington 870 with slugs + tracer pistol + RPG-7. Shotgun for distant enemies, tracers to annoy my own team mates, repair tool and RPG-7 for close quarters.

Not a deliberate grief, but towards the end of BC2s glorious lifespan I made it my mission to get really good with the tracer pistol. After a fair bit of practice, I could reliably trace enemy choppers at a decent distance, as well as the ones circle strafing spawns. Nothing made tryhard apache pilot wannabes rage harder than being shot down over and over by the default rpg. I was accused of everything from being a hacker to being in DICE.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
More short adventures in Dota griefing:

The cheapest item in the game is the Ironwood Branch. It costs 53g and gives you 1 to each stat. Items, with few exceptions, only work for the person who bought them and do nothing but fill valuable inventory space if held by someone else. Roshan is a boss monster who sits in an exposed spot on the map and drops an incredibly valuable item (aegis) on death.

It's common for people to just drop branches lategame when they need space. If the person dropping branches is a powertripping idiot it becomes my mission to be a Good Samaritan and return said branch to its proper owner, preferably just as Roshan dies. This is accompanied by 'get branched, dumbass' over teamchat as the target furiously clicks the aegis yet is unable to pick it up due to lack of inventory space.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Oh man I'm gonna start doing that to stupid pubs. I don't care that DotA griefs are kinda low hanging fruit, stealing the aegis from stupid teammates never stops being fun.

Fuzzyjello
Jan 28, 2013

Magres posted:

Oh man I'm gonna start doing that to stupid pubs. I don't care that DotA griefs are kinda low hanging fruit, stealing the aegis from stupid teammates never stops being fun.

Its low hanging fruit like this that caused me to faction transfer in World of Warcraft so I could gank people I knew when they went fishing in Lake Wintergrasp. There was a fishing quest that forced people to go into a PVP zone to complete it. I went there to collect tears while they fished.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
My favorite in vanilla WoW was to use the Hunter ability that let you directly control your pet. Hide in an obscure corner of the zone and roam around murdering lowbies with mister kitty :getin:

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Magres posted:

My favorite in vanilla WoW was to use the Hunter ability that let you directly control your pet. Hide in an obscure corner of the zone and roam around murdering lowbies with mister kitty :getin:

I did something like that in Everquest 2 with my Conjuror.

Conjurors in EQ2 are mages who can permanently summon powerful elemental creatures. For a short time they can also unleash the full power of these elementals with an ability called Plane Shift. What this means is in the case of the earth elemental is that it can shrug off hits from the most powerful enemies in the game and grows bigger than a house for two minutes. It had nearly no application in groups so people generally weren't aware of what it looked like.

With this in mind I went to newbie areas with the regular earth elemental in stow and ordered it to stay near some NPC guards. I then hid myself in a corner from which I could see the surroundings and cast Invisibility and Bind Sight, which allowed me to see through its eyes, on my pet
I hid myself in a corner from which I could see the surroundings and when a newbie showed up I would cast Plane Shift and Possess Minion to take direct control of it. Then I would just romp around as a giant stone golem killing the NPCs in their quest hub and quite often they figured it was just an NPC the were meant to stop. Sadly, because SOE hates fun you couldn't engage in PvP with a lower level player if the level gap was too big I couldn't directly attack them. If they were the first to attack, however, I was free to retaliate. After they had engaged I would of course kill them in a single blow. It only worked once per person, but I would often get reported after which a GM showed up and congratulated me on my creativity.

a!n fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 1, 2013

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Anal Papist posted:

Age of Wushu

In age of wushu there is no traditional auction house that you roll up to anytime you feel like and place bids or list items. Instead there is a small period of time dubbed "Stall Madness" when players get to bid on stalls that last a week. Didn't get a stall? Then you can't list items the regular way and have to fight for a spot in a temporary stall that lasts for an hour against bots and alts. So these stalls are fought over regularly and often intense bidding and fighting occurs ion the last minutes around a cheap stall. Knowing that this week I had few items to sell and not enough money to legitimately bid I decide to go and annoy those that did.

This player Hemlock has taken a stall in a very visible spot for weeks and weeks. Even though anyone is free to bid and the stall goes to the highest bidder he sees it as his stall, and anyone standing near it or trying to outbid him is seen as a grave personal insult. In wushu it is possible in certain situations to make yourself invulnerable in cities to perform certain tasks like temporary stalling or setting up a divination shop. You can't move or attack, but you can speak. I kept chatting to passersby that the stall is very cheap and they should place a bid. Eventually one does because hemlock's bid was very low. The timer ticks down and he loses. He is enraged.

He followed me to another zone where our guild base is, and killed other goons standing around. When you kill people in wushu they are given an option to bounty you if you are the aggressor and it is not during a pvp event. So Goons died to hemlock then placed a large bounty on him. We then killed him and he spent 5 hours in jail. On his guild's teamspeak he raged and called out people for not joining in his attack, and not being outraged at what I had done. He has since quit his guild.

TLDR: Player got mad because he thought a certain open to all part of the game was his only, gets mad enough to end up in the game's jail for 5 hours, then quits his guild.

An update on this: Hemlock "lost" his stall to his own alt character. Apparently he places a low bid with his alt and then snipes it with his main to prevent people from outbidding him. For whatever reason he hosed up, and instead of inspecting the stall and realizing his fuckup, he blamed it all on whoopy. In addition, he didn't find out about this mistake until the end of the week, costing him most of the time before the stalls go up for auction again.

Hemlock remains guildless.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ahahahah, so he owned the stall the whole time?

edit: Oh my god, some players in this game have too much money.

quote:

Randsom company, heres the facts. u will lose a paid customer with 20 extra vips accounts. please understand paid customer like this have multilple kidnap alts to make his ingame silver.

Request #1030869
I'm a loyal value costumer and has top up every month to support snail. I also top up 2k usd this months not including my pass top up. I did not participate in any 3rd party silver purchase. Please help, much appreciated.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 2, 2013

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Tarezax posted:

An update on this: Hemlock "lost" his stall to his own alt character. Apparently he places a low bid with his alt and then snipes it with his main to prevent people from outbidding him. For whatever reason he hosed up, and instead of inspecting the stall and realizing his fuckup, he blamed it all on whoopy. In addition, he didn't find out about this mistake until the end of the week, costing him most of the time before the stalls go up for auction again.

Hemlock remains guildless.

How in the bloody blue blazes does someone possibly gently caress up that badly? Wouldn't he have had to manually place the bid on his own stall with his own alt?

dimwit
Jan 30, 2011

There seems to be a misunderstanding

Fuzzyjello posted:

Its low hanging fruit like this that caused me to faction transfer in World of Warcraft so I could gank people I knew when they went fishing in Lake Wintergrasp. There was a fishing quest that forced people to go into a PVP zone to complete it. I went there to collect tears while they fished.

I hated that daily. 10 minute quest usually turned into 2 hour PvP brawl because the area for the quest was so small. I was poo poo at PvP so that quest involved lots of corpse running for my part. Mind controlling with my priest was pretty fun though.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Pantheon on League of Legends - Building up health/tank items, wading into all 5 enemy champions. Wait for a bit, then use your ultimate to jump across half the map. "Well, bye!"

Conversely if you see an enemy champion on the other side of the map with a narrow sliver of health, who's recalling, use your ultimate and kill them. "Oh hi, I thought I might... DROP IN"

It's funny but people get so mad over it.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Ahahahah, so he owned the stall the whole time?

edit: Oh my god, some players in this game have too much money.

Do VIP accounts still cost 20$ a month? :signings:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

-Zydeco- posted:

Do VIP accounts still cost 20$ a month? :signings:

No. VIP is 30 gold, which is $9.

Also, with the last expansion VIPs got a fuckload more content so it's an even better deal.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Haquer posted:

No. VIP is 30 gold, which is $9.

Also, with the last expansion VIPs got a fuckload more content so it's an even better deal.

Oh so only $200 bucks a month. That's much better.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

-Zydeco- posted:

drat, I'd love to be able to spend ~half my rent on a game every month. :psypop:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

drat, I'd love to be able to spend ~half my rent on a game every month. :psypop:

I'd love to only pay $400/month for rent.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

neogeo0823 posted:

Do you live in Utah or something or are you just cheap/poor?

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Cojawfee posted:

Haha yeah he must be one of the poors! Alternatively, it could be his share of a split rent. 800 seem like an accurate rent?

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I live in Virginia and my rent is only $460 less than a mile from a college.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Captain Internet posted:

Haha yeah he must be one of the poors! Alternatively, it could be his share of a split rent. 800 seem like an accurate rent?

What sort of goon could another human stand to live with?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

-Zydeco- posted:

How did you get $200 out of that? 30 gold is $9, not $30 per gold.

Edit: I'm dumb, you were talking about the guy with 20 VIP accounts.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 2, 2013

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Tarezax posted:

How did you get $200 out of that? 30 gold is $9, not $30 per gold.

The dude said he had 20 extra VIP accounts.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Cojawfee posted:

Well, I didn't think that statement would go all :can: or anything, but since you asked, I am, indeed, a poor. I live with my :frogsiren:FIANCE:frogsiren: and dog in cheap-rear end housing that costs $500/month. It works when you both work minimum wage jobs, but the landlords are the worst human beings ever. We had to call the health department to get them to fix the leaking roof, mold, sparking light fixture in the windowless bathroom, broken drawers, and rotting steps leading out the back of the building. And now, just 2 days ago, we learned we will have to call local animal control to light a fire under their asses about the feral cats around here, seeing as one of them decided to surprise attack my dog and nearly cause the loss of use of its left ear. Goodbye, $700 for vet bills. :(

I mean, yeah, it sucks living here, but at least it's better than this time last year, when we spent 3 months homeless, bouncing from sublet to sublet while I was unemployed and broke as hell. We're working, step by step, to make our lives better though. Next month, the fiance goes back to college to finish her degree, and then she's got a very lucrative job lined up. Meanwhile, I'm in the middle of the application process for the local electricians' union.

Anyway, I wish I could contribute a griefing story of my own, but I don't really have any. I spend most of my time working these days, so reading the stories is entertainment enough until I get more time to myself.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

Well, I didn't think that statement would go all :can: or anything, but since you asked, I am, indeed, a poor. I live with my :frogsiren:FIANCE:frogsiren: and dog in cheap-rear end housing that costs $500/month. It works when you both work minimum wage jobs, but the landlords are the worst human beings ever. We had to call the health department to get them to fix the leaking roof, mold, sparking light fixture in the windowless bathroom, broken drawers, and rotting steps leading out the back of the building. And now, just 2 days ago, we learned we will have to call local animal control to light a fire under their asses about the feral cats around here, seeing as one of them decided to surprise attack my dog and nearly cause the loss of use of its left ear. Goodbye, $700 for vet bills. :(

I mean, yeah, it sucks living here, but at least it's better than this time last year, when we spent 3 months homeless, bouncing from sublet to sublet while I was unemployed and broke as hell. We're working, step by step, to make our lives better though. Next month, the fiance goes back to college to finish her degree, and then she's got a very lucrative job lined up. Meanwhile, I'm in the middle of the application process for the local electricians' union.

Anyway, I wish I could contribute a griefing story of my own, but I don't really have any. I spend most of my time working these days, so reading the stories is entertainment enough until I get more time to myself.

You just griefed me with your horrible life story, well played. :golfclap:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

drat dude, i paid 500 a month to live in Chicago and the only "catch" to the apartment was that the neighborhood was mostly black. That and my landlords pretty clearly didn't realize that they were undercutting the market way too hard.

The guys who spend a ton of money on Wushu are the best, because they inevitably realize that they've spent thousands of dollars building an MMO prison for themselves, quit their guilds, and then log off forever with more assets than most entire guilds.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

So here's a story about Snail USA griefing players:

Since the expansion Snail has introduced some kind of botting detection system. Players flagged by this system receive a debuff that puts a highly visible icon over their heads. That's not the only effect, though.

If a player with the debuff is killed by another player, they lose most of their unbound money (i.e. tradable money), and instead of the killer receiving infamy (a system for punishing aggressive PKing - earn too much and you get sent to jail on death), the flagged player receives infamy instead. If the flagged person already had infamy they may get sent straight to jail.

This system does generate false positives, but apparently it's easily cleared by relogging. Most of the people I've seen flagged are goon enemies, and we kill them on sight.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Tarezax posted:

So here's a story about Snail USA griefing players:

Since the expansion Snail has introduced some kind of botting detection system. Players flagged by this system receive a debuff that puts a highly visible icon over their heads. That's not the only effect, though.

If a player with the debuff is killed by another player, they lose most of their unbound money (i.e. tradable money), and instead of the killer receiving infamy (a system for punishing aggressive PKing - earn too much and you get sent to jail on death), the flagged player receives infamy instead. If the flagged person already had infamy they may get sent straight to jail.

This system does generate false positives, but apparently it's easily cleared by relogging. Most of the people I've seen flagged are goon enemies, and we kill them on sight.

Does that mean someone could make a bot that can detect flagged (obvious) botters and kill them?

Mine the miners.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, but then some goon will mine you.

Mine the miners mining the miners.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

silentsnack posted:

Does that mean someone could make a bot that can detect flagged (obvious) botters and kill them?

Mine the miners.

Combat in AoW isn't really something that you can automate and expect to win. It's more like a fighting game than WoW style RPG combat.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tarezax posted:

Combat in AoW isn't really something that you can automate and expect to win. It's more like a fighting game than WoW style RPG combat.

I dunno, I think you could probably win against a bot that was written solely for grinding out mobs or whatever it is people bot in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Jabor posted:

I dunno, I think you could probably win against a bot that was written solely for grinding out mobs or whatever it is people bot in that game.

Well, I suppose you could win vs mining bots and the like, but the most egregious bots are the kidnapping and script stealing bots, and those fuckers teleport around. On the latter though, Snail seems to have done something that prevents the bots from getting the script out of the zone, resulting in piles of scripts dropped by teleporting bots being taken by actual players instead.

Frankly, bots of the non-teleporty resource-gathering kind are extremely rare now. I haven't seen any since I came back for the expansion.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 3, 2013

• Locked thread