Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Ha, that's funny, because I was going to recommend he get some NC2 seats, because mine feel great almost always. I've taken a 6 day roadtrip in my '11 and my main complaint was getting into the low seat and not having any extra legroom to stretch out in (which are problems inherent to any MX-5 anyway). Of course, it's not as comfortable as my wife's Corolla for long trips; but again, different types of cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farcry
Jan 18, 2006
I bought a mark 1 MX5 with manual windows. they are really stiff and im barely capable of winding it about half way down the lower it gets the stiffer it is. I had a look inside the door and there are no obstructions. Theres some horrible thick yellow gunk thats pretty much dry that comes over the top of the rail when the plastic wheels reach the top of the metal rails they sit in.

Im assuming its something easy like rubbing as much of the rail with alcohol as I can and then applying it with some kind of grease to fix this?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Clean it out as good as you can with a toothbrush and some elbow grease, Spray Silicone spray into the tracks with the window rolled down, go easy on it, spray too much and you'll end up with nasty windows for a while until the extra stops working its way out and onto your window.

farcry
Jan 18, 2006
thanks alot for the answer, I was going to just look up something that would not corrode rubber and go at it then decided Its worth checking with people who have experiance first.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Silicone spray is apparently what's good for the tracks (some people used Honda Shin-Etsu grease on the rubber on the leading edge of the door). Just keep some Invisible Glass around to clean off the grease that will inevitably get onto the window. It's been on my to-do list for yonks.

Be careful about cranking on it when it's stiff like that, you can snap the cable that pulls the window very easily.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

farcry posted:

I bought a mark 1 MX5 with manual windows. they are really stiff and im barely capable of winding it about half way down the lower it gets the stiffer it is. I had a look inside the door and there are no obstructions. Theres some horrible thick yellow gunk thats pretty much dry that comes over the top of the rail when the plastic wheels reach the top of the metal rails they sit in.

Im assuming its something easy like rubbing as much of the rail with alcohol as I can and then applying it with some kind of grease to fix this?

You're gonna need one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazda-Miata-Window-GUIDE-KIT-NOW-Has-all-of-what-you-need-to-install-and-more-/290966197261

The kit comes with a little Shin Etsu grease, but you'll probably need more than that re lube the entire assembly which is what you're going to have to do. Obviously this means taking everything out of the door, it's not a hard job though, just time consuming.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Are there any common hotspots for A/C leaks on an early NB? My girlfriend reports that the A/C on our '99 that was working decently a week ago isn't doing anything at all. I'm betting that pressure is so low the compressor isn't engaging, but I'll check it out in depth tonight. A/C intimidates me more than pretty much anything but automatic transmissions, but hopefully I can figure it out.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

leica posted:

Could you get NC seats to fit in a NA/NB?

lol I was jussst going to ask this question. What's the length between mount bolts on the NC seat?

Also, is a Miata a magical junkyard-resistant car, because gently caress me I haven't seen one in our area ever

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've been seeing NA's in yards, in fact I just recently got a coil pack from a '96 when my coils started taking a poo poo. NA's are getting old enough now that the neglected cars are starting to show up.

However I've only seen a few NB's and they were all wrecked pretty bad.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Local to me there's a guy who buys nothing but junk/wrecked Miatas and parts them out. Any given day he has 2 or 3 Miatas at his place. He has a decent inventory of stuff, but if I get esoteric enough he won't have it (see: 2 piece axles).

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I just need NB trim, mainly. All of it. My interior is a complete, thrashed-out disaster. Neglect and years of use as an everyday driver/work car hauling tools and poo poo have beaten it up. New carpet, seats, door panels, glove box, shift boot...pretty much everything but the dash itself. I've been keeping my eye out for a solid year looking, and they never show up.

I've got the bug again because I found a 9-3 in the local yard and pulled enough off of it to fix every nagging thing wrong with my Saab. I wanna do it with my Miata, dammit :mad:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Keep your eyes peeled on craigslist, there's almost always someone parting out a Miata around here. Have you tried Planet Miata?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

leica posted:

Keep your eyes peeled on craigslist, there's almost always someone parting out a Miata around here. Have you tried Planet Miata?

Can't afford it :( Junkyard budget is all I can do until I graduate.

I've seen Miatas for sale in the region but never a parts one.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I have a carpet in my garage that might be from an NB or an NA. It's black. I have no idea how much it would cost to ship from Canada to wherever in the boonies you live.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The carpets should be the exact same since the tubs are the exact same.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

GD_American posted:

I've got the bug again because I found a 9-3 in the local yard and pulled enough off of it to fix every nagging thing wrong with my Saab. I wanna do it with my Miata, dammit :mad:

Sell one of the two. Buy spares.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I have a carpet in my garage that might be from an NB or an NA. It's black. I have no idea how much it would cost to ship from Canada to wherever in the boonies you live.

More than it's worth, I imagine. I appreciate the though.

West SAAB Story posted:

Sell one of the two. Buy spares.

If that were the decision I'm pretty sure I'd be the one that lost :(

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
What's the deal with the front bumper on NA's? I've seen a lot of them that are discolored (clearcoat gone I guess?) with the rest of the body looking fine. Literally just the bumper piece and that's it. The first time I saw it, I assumed that the car had a fender bender and it was replaced, but I've seen it enough times to wonder otherwise. Was this a manufacturing defect or something?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Most NAs have single stage paint and the bumper was made using state of the art (back then) urethane injection.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

GOD IS BED posted:

Ha, that's funny, because I was going to recommend he get some NC2 seats, because mine feel great almost always. I've taken a 6 day roadtrip in my '11 and my main complaint was getting into the low seat and not having any extra legroom to stretch out in (which are problems inherent to any MX-5 anyway). Of course, it's not as comfortable as my wife's Corolla for long trips; but again, different types of cars.

Seat Chat v2.0 - Are your seats fabric? There may be a difference between the leather vs. fabric in terms of bolstering and padding.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

Phone posted:

Most NAs have single stage paint and the bumper was made using state of the art (back then) urethane injection.

First the rust protection on the side sills making me think my car got a lovely repaint, then this. Learning so much about the exterior of my car, haha.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Seat Chat v2.0 - Are your seats fabric? There may be a difference between the leather vs. fabric in terms of bolstering and padding.

Mine are leather, with heat. I couldn't compare them, I've never sat in the cloth seats.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Huh, same here. I might have to sit in a NC2 next time I'm near a Mazda dealership to see if they're any different. :iiam:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The North America NCs suck because we're a bunch of fatasses. :saddowns:

Look what the rest of the world gets!

vs

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted here. I have a Miata-related question although it's not Miata-exclusive. Basically I'm just wondering if I have a few bent and un-straightenable rims (they're bent close to the hub rather than along the rim) is there anyone who has a use for them or are they just scrap?

When I bought my MSM the PO gave me both of the rims he pulled off the car & replaced as they were scuffed & bent; between all 6 rims I've got 3 bent ones. I think neither one of us knew much about the whole rim straightening process until I started researching it recently. Anyways I sent the first one to be straightened and learned it can't be, so now they're checking out the second one. Considering that the 17" Racing Hart rims (here: http://www.jason-parker.net/images/wheels.htm) have a reputation for being fragile I figure it's not unlikely that two or all three of them could be bent the same way (I've never had to deal with a bent rim before even with my aggressive driving.) I'm just wondering if anyone would have a use for them or if they're just worth no more than $5-10 each in scrap. (The center hub's worth more than the rest of the rim as scrap, gotta remember to pop it out first!)

I have no problem just buying a new rim if that's what it comes down to. I know they're in the $300 range. Would anyone recommend a source (for the 05 OEM Racing Hart rims) over the others? I've already checked CL, eBay, Moss, Rosenthal, and GoMiata; Rosenthal & eBay are the only ones that have the rims.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
They're boat anchors, get some 15" wheels and enjoy the better ride quality and cheaper tires. If you have to have them, Miata.net and eBay are probably your best bets.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Phone posted:

They're boat anchors, get some 15" wheels and enjoy the better ride quality and cheaper tires. If you have to have them, Miata.net and eBay are probably your best bets.

Yeah, that's what I hear. If I wanted to replace the set with 15s what would you recommend? 6ULs seem highly recommended.

But what about un-straightenable rims? Pure scrap or would somebody want them for something else?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Atomizer posted:

Yeah, that's what I hear. If I wanted to replace the set with 15s what would you recommend? 6ULs seem highly recommended.

But what about un-straightenable rims? Pure scrap or would somebody want them for something else?
Sell them to some idiot on CR -- buy 6ULs.

Or you can be a gigantic dubber like me :suicide:

For the record they're 15x8 +35 so they're very functional :)

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Second the 6UL. No nonsense 4x100 only, well made, variety of widths and finishes, reasonable price.

e: These are 15"x8" with 205/50 Yokohama S-Drives. Just a bit of stretch to help cornering and it looks a shitload better than the 6.5" rims that were on it before.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 14, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone know where the horn relay is on NAs? The Towncar horn I put in it stopped working and the fuse is still good so I'm assuming the relay blew out. I also imagine I'll probably need a bigger relay to handle the bigger horn?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It should be with the other dashboard relays under the drivers' side dash near the steering column.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

[edit] Never mind, I just found out that by disconnecting the passenger airbag it also disables the horn. Just gotta run a wire and that will fix it.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 16, 2013

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Aw yeah. Abe is done with my exhaust.

(His car, not mine.)

Now all I have to do is wait for shipping...and another three weeks before my broken left leg heals enough to let me drive it. An automatic Miata has never appealed until now.

On a related note, anyone want to buy a Racing Beat catback?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Looks nice, I've always heard he does good work.

Why doesn't he use vbands on the test pipe?

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
I asked him not to. That way I can swap the cat back in once a year.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Anyone want to buy an 06 with 46,000 miles in NC near Raleigh? I'm about to say fuckit and sell it to Carmax for $8,000. I'll take anything $8,500 or above. 0 interest after having ads up for 2 months.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Wanna trade for a Mazda2? :haw:

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

I don't want to put it under the car. It might get dirty.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Dominoes posted:

Anyone want to buy an 06 with 46,000 miles in NC near Raleigh? I'm about to say fuckit and sell it to Carmax for $8,000. I'll take anything $8,500 or above. 0 interest after having ads up for 2 months.

Wow that's a great price. I live literally across the country but it'd be a fun drive. Post pics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4032809649.html
Hey this could be alright

quote:

Hi i have a 2005 Mazda Miata- mazda speed factory turbo for sale. Touring Edition
CLEAN TITLE+ NO ACCIDENT+ JM1NB354X50411958

i have the title under my name
169k miles. not bad for miata
6 speed manual
Greedy turbo timer
after market turbo blow off (sounds very nice)
Leather seat package
Convertible top is in very good condition

Brand new 17" inch Rims and Brand New Tires for it
Brand New Front and Rear Break Pads and resurfacing rotors
Magnaflow exhaust With Upgarded down pipe

Obviously the owner is a moron with his BOV, turbo timer, and rimzz, but well... how bad could it be? :haw: