Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

liquid courage posted:

The whole thread and no mention of Z-Bots? I loved these things in 1st/2nd grade:

Huh, so that's what those were. They keep showing up in the secondhand toy shop around here, all faded and missing parts.

That poo poo never worked, and neither did the other brand that came in the test tubes! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

No Your Other Left posted:

That poo poo never worked, and neither did the other brand that came in the test tubes! :argh:

I never had problems getting that poo poo to work. Hell I still buy it when I see it in a coinop at the local grocery store! My wife on the other hand, can never get it to work. Or if she does, the bubbles are pathetic and don't hold up for long.

Lamprotornis
Jun 28, 2004

My happy place~

Kilazar posted:

I never had problems getting that poo poo to work. Hell I still buy it when I see it in a coinop at the local grocery store! My wife on the other hand, can never get it to work. Or if she does, the bubbles are pathetic and don't hold up for long.

This stuff worked fine for me too. The only mistake I thought someone could make was inhaling through the straw after blowing a bubble. You make that mistake once, gag for about ten minutes, then try to think of ways to make your friends do it.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Even though this song is from the early 2000s, the lyrics are really 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPOK3e6VKdo

Cunninlynguists - We're From the Internet

artdamage
Jun 26, 2013
These things smelled incredible.

I saw these things today and had a proper nostalgic moment. I never used mine, never had a pen to hand.

And for some reason I had hundreds of these when I was a kid. I don't know.

Moonboots!

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

artdamage posted:

Moonboots!

I can't possibly think of anything more dangerous than a kid wearing these on a trampoline, unless maybe the kid's also holding a venomous snake and a steak knife at the same time.

Actually, add trampolines to the list of campy 90s poo poo. Tons of people owned them, only one in 20 had the safety net attachment, and my parents were the meanest people ever because we couldn't have one too. Hmm... there might be a reason I've made it to 25 without ever breaking a bone.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

always bugged me that the bottom row had an extra letter :reject:

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

TunaSpleen posted:

I can't possibly think of anything more dangerous than a kid wearing these on a trampoline, unless maybe the kid's also holding a venomous snake and a steak knife at the same time.

Actually, add trampolines to the list of campy 90s poo poo. Tons of people owned them, only one in 20 had the safety net attachment, and my parents were the meanest people ever because we couldn't have one too. Hmm... there might be a reason I've made it to 25 without ever breaking a bone.

Those safety nets didn't do poo poo anyway. Most of the time if you got hurt on a trampoline it wasn't from falling off, it was from all the bony rear end bodies bumping into each other at high speeds.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

artdamage posted:

And for some reason I had hundreds of these when I was a kid. I don't know.

I used to have a bunch of tiny ones of these, with detachable handles, and you could stick them together and clack multiple sets at once.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

I had these too. I just spent a solid minute staring at the picture, trying to remember what they were supposed to do. I eventually gave up and googled it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

liquid courage posted:

The whole thread and no mention of Z-Bots? I loved these things in 1st/2nd grade:

I actually owned some of these! I even had the big mega robot with missile-firing arms they could ride/be stored in.

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B5nO4LQ3do

Videos like that: random raps that really were unnecessary and very "Revenge of the Nerds". Skip to the 4 minute mark.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Oh, man, trampolines were awesome. We only had a small one for one person in the early 90s, then in the late 90s, we bought a big one with our next door neighbours, which lasted us well into the 2000s. I think we ended up giving it away to a friend of one of my sisters last Summer, since we hadn't used it for 4 years, and lots of kids came out of nowhere to use it when we weren't home. More than one hurt themselves badly.

It was great exercise, though.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Datasmurf posted:

Oh, man, trampolines were awesome. We only had a small one for one person in the early 90s, then in the late 90s, we bought a big one with our next door neighbours, which lasted us well into the 2000s. I think we ended up giving it away to a friend of one of my sisters last Summer, since we hadn't used it for 4 years, and lots of kids came out of nowhere to use it when we weren't home. More than one hurt themselves badly.

It was great exercise, though.

We had a standard-sized rectangular trampoline with no pads (the things that cover the springs), which my brother and I would jump onto from the roof of our 2-storey house. If you didn't land just the right way, the whiplash was intense. But surprisingly, neither of us ever ended up in hospital as a result.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
One of my friends still has a trampoline. I don't care if I'm in college, trampolines are still cool.

You know what's pretty 90s, though? This emoticon :-)

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Coffee And Pie posted:

One of my friends still has a trampoline. I don't care if I'm in college, trampolines are still cool.

You know what's pretty 90s, though? This emoticon :-)

I actually bought myself a trampoline only a few months ago. I'm glad I got it online so I didn't have to deal with the 'why is a 21-year-old university student with no children buying a trampoline ?' questions.
It's really great, although I'm nowhere near as fearless as I was as a kid.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I remember all my friends on the street would ask their parents for trampolines and they'd only get those small indoor one person ones. When me and my siblings asked our parents, we got a massive one put in our yard and it became an attraction for all the kids of the neighbourhood.

I can't be the only one that put sprinklers under the trampoline too.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Trampolines have no place in this thread, really. Even though I did get grounded multiple times in the early-to-mid 90s for hopping the fence to use our neighbor's.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

A couple of ads from a 1996 Internet World magazine.

Eudora. I had an independent ISP - none of the major ones had a local phone number - so I don't know about size limits on email or how useful this really might have been. I only knew one person who had it.

Don't you wish you could make web pages this fancy?

Hint: Just steal other people's graphics from Geocities. Until they disabled hotlinking, making you have to rehost them, too.

I also have a year's worth of Yahoo Internet Life from late 1997-98. If anyone's curious I'll dig through those for things we can now mock.

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine
I know a lot of stuff on here is "stuff from when you were a kid in the 90s, but Northern Exposure was an amazing show, with weird, great music, and pretty much every early 90s fashion archetype accounted for.

The theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaE5q2KJtPs

This was my favorite scene, and I just looked it up for the first time in years thanks to this thread. I can't remember the full episode, but the end was an amazing, bizarre piece of tv: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLYCwl5nfIE

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Kilazar posted:

Battle beast commercialhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL4zNgZPPHw

I know they started in 87, but they continued into the 90's. I was still buying them as late as 93.

Oh man Battle Beasts. I still have all of mine. Ebay tells me they would be worth ~5 dollars each if I hadn't discovered that those little plastic cocktail swords were perfect as Battle Beast weapons and accidentally chopped off most of their arms. Also the colour changing whatsit on the front of them that revealed their elemental power would always came off.
The later batch that had a little window to peek into to see their power were worse because it would just fill up with condensation and never be visible again.

[edit]Ebay also reveals that losing their arms was extremely common...

Tagra has a new favorite as of 02:47 on Sep 1, 2013

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh man, Mondo 2000 :allears:

I'm old, so all my 90s nostalgia is for my early adulthood. And naturally as a young adult, with disposable income and an interest in the newest computer poo poo and weaned on NES and Atari games, the new video game systems were hot poo poo. And what we needed was a gaming magazine that was more than just cheat-codes and hype. We needed in-depth analysis of trends, interviews with talented designers, something with class! Something unlike all those magazines for kids!

Well what we got was Next Generation magazine, which at least attempted be sophisticated and cool.

I still have one of the issues hanging around, because it has a wonderful list of some fantastic games.
Next Generation's Top 100 Games of All Time
Those aren't my scans, but if you like video games, and played them in the 90s or before you should definitely read it. You'll be alternately impressed and confused by what they put on it, and where.

d34dm34t
Jul 21, 2007

a kitten posted:

Well what we got was Next Generation magazine, which at least attempted be sophisticated and cool.

Next Generation was just an Americanised reprint of Edge. They sold both of them in the UK and as an Edge subscriber I was less than impressed the one time I bought a copy of Next Gen, only to discover it was all content I'd already read. Thanks Future Publishing!

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

a kitten posted:

Those aren't my scans, but if you like video games, and played them in the 90s or before you should definitely read it. You'll be alternately impressed and confused by what they put on it, and where.

That countdown may as well be "Top 100--aww screw it, here's every half decent game ever made thus far because we're counting entire series."

Nowadays, the King's Quest series and other Sierra games end up on lists like this of frustratingly horrible ways to permanently screw yourself over in the first 45 minutes. Links is listed, but not the Tex Murphy series done by the same duo. And while Super Mario 64 is a fantastic game, I'd probably rank Super Mario World even higher. Funny how some things age well and others terribly.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

artdamage posted:

Moonboots!

I've never seen these before, what the hell are they supposed to do?

Istari posted:

We had a standard-sized rectangular trampoline with no pads (the things that cover the springs), which my brother and I would jump onto from the roof of our 2-storey house. If you didn't land just the right way, the whiplash was intense. But surprisingly, neither of us ever ended up in hospital as a result.

Like this?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

I've never seen these before, what the hell are they supposed to do?

Moon Shoes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaMY8XakxQ8

I believe they were for parents who wanted to kill their kids, but couldn't afford a full trampoline. Unfortunately they probably ended up just injuring kids instead.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

mobby_6kl posted:

Like this?

We weren't nearly stupid enough to land on our feet.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Moon Shoes didn't even work all that well! :argh:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

saganite posted:

For a more purebred 90s documentary, try Nerds 2.0.1: Networking the Nerds by the same guy. It's about the rise of the internet and was made in 1998 - so it's pretty loving 90s.
hah I remember watching this back when it aired and my parents were like "hey webdog is going to be one of these start-up millionaires because he's good with computers!".
Then dot-com crashed. Hard.
Plus even attempting something on that level in Australia would have been a bloody hard slog.

It's amusing seeing people like McAfee before they went off the deep end or Tom Nelson...going off the deep end. A list of "where are they now" of the dot com superstars in 2008

It's a pity Cringely parted ways with PBS just before Nerds 2 aired. It would be somewhat cool to have him do a continuation nowadays.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Guy Axlerod posted:

Moon Shoes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaMY8XakxQ8

I believe they were for parents who wanted to kill their kids, but couldn't afford a full trampoline. Unfortunately they probably ended up just injuring kids instead.
I was so surprised when I learned that those things actually existed and weren't from that Arthur episode where Arthur wants a pair, seriously overestimates what they can do and jumps as high as a tree in them. Then I tried some out and could barely jump in them. Even as a little kid, I thought they were dangerous.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 19:00 on Sep 1, 2013

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME

Coffee And Pie posted:

Can anyone suggest any books/documentaries about 90s tech/PC gaming?

"Masters of Doom" by David Kushner is an informative and highly entertaining look at id Software's early days.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I can't remember if this series has been mentioned yet:

My brother and I watched them over and over again as kids.
I watched this one again last night. It held up better than I expected.

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*

Someone else on the forum reminded me about these, in the STDH thread. I had no idea what they were called, just knew that they existed.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I have no idea why, but for some reason last night a memory of this Very Special Made for TV Movie popped into my head:

I had to look up the name, all I could remember was it was about a summer camp, and had (as you can see,) Jennifer Anniston, pre-Friends.

It also had Winnie and the nerdy kid from The Wonder Years, I want to say Urkel, and one of the girls from Full House.

This isn't just Campy 90's poo poo...it's a lovely 90's Camp! :haw:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Istari posted:

I can't remember if this series has been mentioned yet:

My brother and I watched them over and over again as kids.
I watched this one again last night. It held up better than I expected.

I was really too old to have any business enjoying that when it came out.

Actually I don't remember if I did but it's probably best if I don't harbor any illusions about that one.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Your Sledgehammer posted:

"Masters of Doom" by David Kushner is an informative and highly entertaining look at id Software's early days.

And, if you prefer someone else do your reading for you, last year they came out with an audiobook version narrated by Wil Wheaton.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

DrBouvenstein posted:

I had to look up the name, all I could remember was it was about a summer camp, and had (as you can see,) Jennifer Anniston, pre-Friends.

It also had Winnie and the nerdy kid from The Wonder Years, I want to say Urkel, and one of the girls from Full House.

Don't forget Cliff from Cheers!

Morn
Aug 29, 2012
I had the "Mighty Max Escapes from Skull Dungeon" set and brought it to school, the next week everyone had one.

Also, who can forget "Biker Mice from Mars", "Toxic Crusader" and "Captain Planet"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Don't forget Cliff from Cheers!

And the guy from The Jeffersons!

Ninjas were very hard to escape in the 90s (just like in real life if you're ever being chased by one)

• Locked thread