Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Baron Bifford posted:

This makes more sense. It's hard to cover up Chaos Space Marines when they keep attacking the Imperium.

The Imperium is huge. Galaxy sized, mind boggilingly, 'curl up and die at the thought of your insignificance' huge. There is a lot of scope between worlds. It's quite possible that some world near the eye of terror is better informed on chaos than a comfortable, tithe paying rich world at the other end of the galaxy (who are one toga party away from Slaanesh). Then you have some dank, industrial forge world where the people literally know nothing but birth, work, attend Emperor church and horrible, early choking death.

Look at how North Korea know nothing of the outside world and worship a loon with a bad haircut compared to the freedoms of the first world. Even the US itself has massive divides in attitudes between it's states.

Now spread that across a pants-shittingly vast empire, throw in a catastrophic galaxy wide disaster in the Age of Strife, a motherfucking intergalactic scale Terminator style rise of the machines war (a mere footnote in 40k terms), an all conquering crusade led by demigods on a scale unheard of in the known universe, a civil war across literally a million worlds and the rise of the most messed up, oppressive regime in the history of the species running on pure inertia of a war kicked off 10,000 years ago.

You can forgive the authors if procedures are different at one end of the galaxy to the other. Especially given the autonomy and total power of inquisitors operating alone and unmonitored. Even in Eisenhorn there are differences. Gregor likes to get down on the planet and sneak about, winning hearts and minds, only bringing the hammer when he needs to. The other older guy likes to arrive with the full Imperial floaty skull flying baby theatrics and his finger hovering over 'EXTERMINATUS' on his speed dial.

Some Inquisitor might exterminate a whole planet in some outer rim world because someone drew an eight pointed star, whereas nobidy is going to execute a bunch of Cadians becuse they know about chaos. It shows how versatile the setting is when some of the worst authors to put pen to paper can't really screw it up to the point of breaking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.
You paint quite the picture Sir.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
There's gonna be a HH Tallarn book.

But it's a limited edition novella! Urgh.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Nissir posted:

Recently became interested in 40k, is there a list somewhere of the unabridged audio books? There was a very short version of Eisenhorn on tape, but it really only got me wanting more.
Here you go: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/List_of_Audio_Books#.UiW7xBB0PIU The first couple of HH books were abridged, but the remainder have been unabridged. The only non HH book that has been done is Salvation's Reach from the Gaunt's Ghosts series. None of the Eisenhorn novels have been done to date (which is weird, considering their popularity.)

Demiurge4 posted:

Well the Emperor was pretty convincing when he touched a Titan and said "Machine, repair thyself" and it's broken actuator magically fixed itself.
But going with the theme of 40K stories being a mish-mash of truth, lies, and half remembered tales, what the Emperor could have done is just initiated a self-repair function on the Titan, and it was seen by the onlookers as a miracle.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

yaaaaaaaaayuuuuuuuuuuuugrggggggggggggg gently caress off

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

On a positive note, for those of you who didn't know, Amazon added some purported release dates:

The Unremembered Empire (HH, Dan Abnett) - 2/18/14
:siren:The Talon of Horus (ADB) - 4/1/14:siren: (This is his new Black Legion series)
Scars (HH, Chris Wraight) - 5/6/2014

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Is that finally a White Scars HH book?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
April first? Uh oh.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

berzerkmonkey posted:

But going with the theme of 40K stories being a mish-mash of truth, lies, and half remembered tales, what the Emperor could have done is just initiated a self-repair function on the Titan, and it was seen by the onlookers as a miracle.

Then again, being a nigh-immortal being who actually lived through the Dark Age of Technology, you could argue that having this secret knowledge is actually a sort of miracle.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Schneider Heim posted:

Also, John French. Bleh

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Fried Chicken posted:

Also, John French. Bleh

Finally, someone else who thinks French is mostly boring.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

Then again, being a nigh-immortal being who actually lived through the Dark Age of Technology, you could argue that having this secret knowledge is actually a sort of miracle.
Oh, I totally agree - but I meant less in the sense of "it's a miracle he knew that lost information" and more of the "Jesus miracle" variety.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Schneider Heim posted:

Seriously, gently caress them, that's it, I've had enough, so fed up of their shady marketing technique.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

So why is it there are no stories about Mortarion or the Death Guard? Is it because the explanation for them siding with Horus is pretty simple and would be really hard to expand that into a book?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Lyer posted:

So why is it there are no stories about Mortarion or the Death Guard? Is it because the explanation for them siding with Horus is pretty simple and would be really hard to expand that into a book?

Flight of the Eisenstein is primarily about the Death Guard.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

VanSandman posted:

Finally, someone else who thinks French is mostly boring.

His short in Mark of Calth was interesting, but by and large, he is pretty meh.

Maybe he will surprise us

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Regarding Flight of the Eisenstein: It's decent by HH standards, which is basically just saying "At least it's not Galaxy in Flames or Battle of the Motherfucking Abyss", but it's still fairly mediocre and forgettable and the main character's story is only continued in their loving audio dramas. gently caress you, GW. I regret buying it, myself.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Khizan posted:

Regarding Flight of the Eisenstein: It's decent by HH standards, which is basically just saying "At least it's not Galaxy in Flames or Battle of the Motherfucking Abyss", but it's still fairly mediocre and forgettable and the main character's story is only continued in their loving audio dramas. gently caress you, GW. I regret buying it, myself.

What, don't you just want to hear all about James Swallow's pet Mary Sue?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Papa Nurgle is definitely the most forgotten of the Chaos gods, which is a shame because he's probably the friendliest, in a manner of speaking.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
IIRC, in Soul Hunter Talos turns to the Nurgle apparition and asks it "so, aren't you going to try and tempt me too?"

And the apparition is like "no it's cool, I'm here because union regs, also this is what's actually happening..."

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Nephilm posted:

IIRC, in Soul Hunter Talos turns to the Nurgle apparition and asks it "so, aren't you going to try and tempt me too?"

And the apparition is like "no it's cool, I'm here because union regs, also this is what's actually happening..."

Actually I think it's more like 'I know you don't want what I have to offer so screw you, Talos of the Night Lords.'

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Nephilm posted:

What, don't you just want to hear all about James Swallow's pet Mary Sue?

The concept behind that guy isn't even that bad - a lone loyalist from a traitor legion putting together a proto-Inquisition is a perfectly decent concept. It's just the execution that's terrible. Abnett or ADB could do a hell of a lot with that setup.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Schneider Heim posted:

You have to be loving kidding me, they gave one of the major moments of the Heresy to John French? There is one person who is amazing at writing stuff about the Guard, and that is Abnett. Give it to him.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Cream_Filling posted:

What is your basis for saying this?

edit: actually, you know what? Never mind.
It was Realm of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness. Granted, that's really old fluff.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

VanSandman posted:

Actually I think it's more like 'I know you don't want what I have to offer so screw you, Talos of the Night Lords.'
Perhaps, been a while since I read.

Cream_Filling posted:

The concept behind that guy isn't even that bad - a lone loyalist from a traitor legion putting together a proto-Inquisition is a perfectly decent concept. It's just the execution that's terrible. Abnett or ADB could do a hell of a lot with that setup.
Don't forget that he goes from 0 to full-on Lectio Divinitatus over the course of a couple months just because he ran into some daemons. That's a core part of the concept, too.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Nephilm posted:

Don't forget that he goes from 0 to full-on Lectio Divinitatus over the course of a couple months just because he ran into some daemons. That's a core part of the concept, too.

Well he also encounters a woman that claims to be a Saint of the Emperor who also turns out to be right absolutely 100% of the time during those few months.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Psykers.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Nephilm posted:

To be fair, if I started running into daemons, I'd be the most religious person in the world.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Warp-native xenos breed.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Demiurge4 posted:

Well the Emperor was pretty convincing when he touched a Titan and said "Machine, repair thyself" and it's broken actuator magically fixed itself.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I can imagine a future edition of some codex giving a vehicle unit some new functionality or upgrade, and it will be justified in the fluff by some tech-priest explorator discovering a user manual for that vehicle with a few extra pages that were missing from previous copies, and those missing pages detailed how to operate the void shields that until that point were useless.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

I can imagine a future edition of some codex giving a vehicle unit some new functionality or upgrade, and it will be justified in the fluff by some tech-priest explorator discovering a user manual for that vehicle with a few extra pages that were missing from previous copies, and those missing pages detailed how to operate the void shields that until that point were useless.
Well, that's essentially how they explain away new versions of vehicles based on a particular chassis. "Hey look - we found an STC that allows us to turn this tractor into a plasma-spewing death machine! Hooray!"

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

berzerkmonkey posted:

Well, that's essentially how they explain away new versions of vehicles based on a particular chassis. "Hey look - we found an STC that allows us to turn this tractor into a plasma-spewing death machine! Hooray!"

Well, you've got to have some potent equipment if you're going to harvest...Khorne-fields :c00l:

(And yes, I know there's a short story about Khorne worshipers on an agricultural world).

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It's in Abnett's Brothers of the Snake.

I love how the Inquisitor in it keeps making jokes about the Khorne corn-dolls to the Space Marines and gets no reaction at all from them.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Pyrolocutus posted:

Well, you've got to have some potent equipment if you're going to harvest...Khorne-fields :c00l:
This is incredible. A pun can be very funny if delivered just right.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 4, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Khizan posted:

It's in Abnett's Brothers of the Snake.

I love how the Inquisitor in it keeps making jokes about the Khorne corn-dolls to the Space Marines and gets no reaction at all from them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_the_Corn

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Has anyone ever written a 40k story based off Anabasis?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

VanSandman posted:

Has anyone ever written a 40k story based off Anabasis?

I guess you could watch this and pretend they're hive gangers:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Baron Bifford posted:

This goes back to what I was saying a page or two ago about how they should handwave this stuff. Unfortunately, it doesn't really work since they don't progress the timeline, so by definition whatever time period the "new" technology was ostensibly discovered and propagated will have already been in the fluff before, and it will still be a retcon. If they could just unclench their asscheeks and say "oh yeah, it was in M42.010 that we finally decided to mount anti-aircraft weapons on rhinos," that would be fine, and they honestly wouldn't have to progress it very far, mere handfuls of years at a time... but for some reason they've decided to draw a line in the sand.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
To be fair, Hunters have been knocking about since at least 2003 when I.... acquired some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

JerryLee posted:

The balance of the tabletop game changes (or at least has the potential to change) every time a new codex gets released and suddenly there are a bunch of new units that $FACTION totally had all along we swear. Why can't they just use storyline progression to lampshade that poo poo, like the new chaos codex comes out because Abaddon conquered a major imperial planet and there was a secret heldrake factory buried underneath the surface where nobody knew about it? It would kill two birds with one stone.
Like you say, there's the problem of timeline. Players should be able to play a game with the updated codexes at any point in the 41st millenium (for the players who care about such things), and not have to worry about things like "oh, by the time the Imperium first encountered the Tau, it wasn't like that anymore!". From a storytelling point of view, it's fun to do things like this, but I think it's better to just pretend it has always been so. I personally am not a stickler for continuity.