Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Horn posted:

Llama can do time based events. It's called "Time Between" under conditions.

Also wifi based locations if that would work? It's under the experimental bit but works a treat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
What are the thoughts on the Nook HD for mostly reading, good battery life (for reading and in sleep mode), and for occasional gaming?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Refurbished Nook HD's are $89+ shipping on Woot today

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Anybody else having problems with the headphone jack on the 2013 Nexus 7? Mine seems to have issues detecting that I've plugged something until I wiggle the cable around.

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia

Mr.48 posted:

Anybody else having problems with the headphone jack on the 2013 Nexus 7? Mine seems to have issues detecting that I've plugged something until I wiggle the cable around.

Return it and get another. They have tons of build issues. I had to get a few before I found one that had working everything and no screen problems.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
The only thing resembling a problem on my nexus 7 headphone jack is that the drat thing is too secure/tight. It took abit more effort than expected pushing the jack into the socket.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Drakes posted:

The only thing resembling a problem on my nexus 7 headphone jack is that the drat thing is too secure/tight. It took abit more effort than expected pushing the jack into the socket.

I thought mine was broken until I read somebody say "push it in until you hear it click" which, to me, made no sense. Until I did just that and it worked fine.

Of course, until the tablet bricked into an endless reboot cycle of the X screen, and now I'm waiting on a replacement.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. Habibi posted:

I thought mine was broken until I read somebody say "push it in until you hear it click" which, to me, made no sense. Until I did just that and it worked fine.

Of course, until the tablet bricked into an endless reboot cycle of the X screen, and now I'm waiting on a replacement.

Did that happen while trying to root, by chance? Apparently it's not entirely uncommon and very easy to fix (I had it happen and fixed mine this morning).

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Digital Jesus posted:

Did that happen while trying to root, by chance? Apparently it's not entirely uncommon and very easy to fix (I had it happen and fixed mine this morning).

Actually, no. I haven't rooted any of my Android devices (key word: yet), so I'm a little perplexed as to how it happened.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
I saw a new Nexus 7 commercial the other day. At the beginning, a young boy is watching a Youtube video, pauses it, circles a guy's face, and does an image search which tells him it's Colin Firth and some info about the guy. What is this feature and how do I use it?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tigren posted:

I saw a new Nexus 7 commercial the other day. At the beginning, a young boy is watching a Youtube video, pauses it, circles a guy's face, and does an image search which tells him it's Colin Firth and some info about the guy. What is this feature and how do I use it?

That sounds like the new Google Play Movies app feature, not YouTube.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

That sounds like the new Google Play Movies app feature, not YouTube.

Ah, so it's built into a Google Play Movie and not actually doing a reverse image search on a random video. I guess that makes it a little easier for them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The probably could put it into youtube. The hardest part of implementing it is probably just finding a way select the area the search for. Google already does reverse image search.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Cojawfee posted:

The probably could put it into youtube. The hardest part of implementing it is probably just finding a way select the area the search for. Google already does reverse image search.

Probably a lot of legal/privacy issues too. If you're in a feature film, you've already given them rights to your likeness or whatever. Random video of Jimmy's 5th birthday, not so much.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

The Merkinman posted:

Probably a lot of legal/privacy issues too. If you're in a feature film, you've already given them rights to your likeness or whatever. Random video of Jimmy's 5th birthday, not so much.

I don't think there's any legal issues with pausing a youtube video, taking a screen shot, cropping out the face, and then doing a reverse image search on it. This would just automate it.

And I think you lose your right to privacy when you upload your video to youtube anyway.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Any German goons lurking in here? Playstore's already sold out on the new Nexus 7, but Media Markt still has the 32 GB version in stock. More interesting however is the fact, that they received a few LTE models as well (for 350€, which will probably be the price in the Playstore anyway). Heading there now to confirm and snatch one.

Edit: Got one! Had about 10 left and they said that every store received a small amount, so grab one before everyone else while you still can.

AlexF fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 4, 2013

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Tunga posted:

Shows as £200 for me...?

A similar deal is available from Currys website, use the code TABL5 on checkout to save 5% on tablets and tablet accessories. Makes the N7 16GB £190

Has anyone else had a problem with Netflix on the new N7?

Whenever I launch it I get a 15001 no Netflix service error. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling clearing data, clearing the data of the google services program, and I've also gotten the latest updates to both Netflix and the system software.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Hk
Sep 27, 2003

Hello, I'm trying my best.

frameset posted:

Nope. Haven't had any issues with mine since its acquisition this past Saturday.
Watched about an hour worth last night. I have had 2 occasions where it just
reboots randomly while in use though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

AlexF posted:

Any German goons lurking in here? Playstore's already sold out on the new Nexus 7, but Media Markt still has the 32 GB version in stock. More interesting however is the fact, that they received a few LTE models as well (for 350€, which will probably be the price in the Playstore anyway). Heading there now to confirm and snatch one.

Edit: Got one! Had about 10 left and they said that every store received a small amount, so grab one before everyone else while you still can.

Anyone know what size SIM the new Nexus 7 takes?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Anyone know what size SIM the new Nexus 7 takes?
Micro:
https://support.google.com/nexus/7/answer/3256561?hl=en-GB

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

Mine was spontaneously rebooting like crazy after the last software update; then it gradually tapered off and now it's been up for 3 days. I wonder if it's something with the new background TRIM support or something like that; lots of changes to the filesystem throw it off and then after it calms down a bit it's OK.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

frameset posted:

A similar deal is available from Currys website, use the code TABL5 on checkout to save 5% on tablets and tablet accessories. Makes the N7 16GB £190

Has anyone else had a problem with Netflix on the new N7?

Whenever I launch it I get a 15001 no Netflix service error. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling clearing data, clearing the data of the google services program, and I've also gotten the latest updates to both Netflix and the system software.

had it, googled it, Netflix told me the fix, which worked fine, but I forget. I think clear the cache in the app.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Like every new Nexus 7 owner I'm looking at cases right now. Dodo and Portenzo seem to be excellent options (coming from an iPad you get used to cases and covers that cost $40 and more so that is not a problem), but I'm a bit wary of the adhesive method they use. I'd really like to go as frameless as possible, because of the look and feel, but am somehow afraid it'll pop right off at some point. Any long time users here that can attest to the quality and...well...stickiness?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone looking for a 2012 Nexus 7 can get the 32GB Wifi-Only version from Radio Shack for $180 from today, September 5th through Saturday, September 7th.

It's not exactly a sale, more a "bring it to the register and we'll knock off some money" type deal.

Yeah, it's RS, but it's also a cheap, pretty decent tablet. :v:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

AlexF posted:

Like every new Nexus 7 owner I'm looking at cases right now. Dodo and Portenzo seem to be excellent options (coming from an iPad you get used to cases and covers that cost $40 and more so that is not a problem), but I'm a bit wary of the adhesive method they use. I'd really like to go as frameless as possible, because of the look and feel, but am somehow afraid it'll pop right off at some point. Any long time users here that can attest to the quality and...well...stickiness?

The Portenzo one is extremely strong. You have to seriously pull on it to get it to budge.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just be aware that it will take a while to get the portenzo. Mine's been awaiting shipment for two weeks now.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

kitten smoothie posted:

The Portenzo one is extremely strong. You have to seriously pull on it to get it to budge.

Ditto for the Dodo. I have one for my 2012 N7 and it's great.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Great, thanks! I'll get the Dodo as it's a little cheaper (camera hole included, no need for the intellistand option) and the branding looks better imo.

Edit: One last question though. Some reviews state that due to the curve on the back of the Nexus the buttons are a little hard to reach when it's in those cases. Nitpicking or true?

AlexF fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 6, 2013

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

AlexF posted:

Great, thanks! I'll get the Dodo as it's a little cheaper (camera hole included, no need for the intellistand option) and the branding looks better imo.

Edit: One last question though. Some reviews state that due to the curve on the back of the Nexus the buttons are a little hard to reach when it's in those cases. Nitpicking or true?

I can't speak for the Dodo but I haven't had this problem with the Portenzo.

If anything you need the buttons less anyway, because the cover on both these brands has a magnet to wake the tablet up and put it to sleep.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

AlexF posted:

Nitpicking but true, it is harder to reach them. I've even thought of somehow putting some epoxy or something to create a nub on them to make them easier to find, but the above poster is right, most the time I don't need it as I can just close/open the cover.

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone owned an Android Tablet which simply doesn't have the "Encrypt" option under "Security"? I've had two, now - a no-name cheapo tablet (running Android 4.1.1), and my new Asus Memo Pad HD 7 (4.2.1) - pretty weird since Encryption is a feature built into Android! Are they any steps that have to be performed to get the option to appear? Note that's it's entirely absent, not merely present & greyed out.

Failing that, are there any mail clients that automatically encrypt and decrypt all your passwords and any e-mails it stores? I'm not concerned about sending and receiving encrypted e-mails; I'd just like to make sure that any personal e-mails I receive and keep don't fall into other people's hands should I lose my tablet :)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

AlexF posted:

I have had my Portenzo Bookcase since march and I love it. The added protection from the wooden frame means I don"t worry about just tossing my Nexus 7 intomy back pack or camera bag when leaving the house. The wood really doesn't add much bulk, I find it easier to hold with it the cover on. Example photos (pardon my lovely cellphone and dark rear end basement):

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
clean your god drat screen, man!

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Jesus, shipping a Dodocase to Germany adds 30$, effectively doubling the price. Guess I'll wait until it's available at Amazon Germany (like the 2012 edition is) or is there a better solution?

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Tried out a Nexus 7 today, and I've never been more on the fence about a product.

One question that may decide whether I go for it or not: currently using an HD Desire HD for a phone, feel like I'm paying too much a month for it. If I go with a 4G Nexus 7, how difficult would it be to use it as a phone? Is there an easy set-up using Google voice and say MightyText, or would I have to keep my old phone and have calls forwarded, or is it downright impractical to use it as a phone at all?

Note that I very rarely take calls, and never in public, so the embarrassment of the size would not be a factor.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mourning Due posted:

Tried out a Nexus 7 today, and I've never been more on the fence about a product.

One question that may decide whether I go for it or not: currently using an HD Desire HD for a phone, feel like I'm paying too much a month for it. If I go with a 4G Nexus 7, how difficult would it be to use it as a phone? Is there an easy set-up using Google voice and say MightyText, or would I have to keep my old phone and have calls forwarded, or is it downright impractical to use it as a phone at all?

Note that I very rarely take calls, and never in public, so the embarrassment of the size would not be a factor.

Well for starters, it's a seven inch tablet. The speakers for the Nexus 7 are on the back and I think the microphone is as well. You will have to use it as a speaker phone because it's not possible to use it as a phone. If you want a phone, get a phone, if you want a tablet, get a tablet. Though I guess you could get a phablet in between the two. I would never want to use my Nexus 7 as a phone.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you use a bluetooth headset it wouldn't really matter how big the tablet is.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I'm picking up a n7 second gen next week to replace my older one, and I was wondering if there was anything similar to the poetic slimline case dimension-wise that doesn't do the faux-leather texture thing? It's not a big deal but it kind of bothered me with my older nexus' case.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

AlexF posted:

Jesus, shipping a Dodocase to Germany adds 30$, effectively doubling the price. Guess I'll wait until it's available at Amazon Germany (like the 2012 edition is) or is there a better solution?

Yes, get a Portenzo Bookcase. It's so expensive, shipping doesn't matter anymore. :v:

For real though, it's a really good case. And their shipping fees to Germany are (or at least were last year) much more reasonable, even if you get a cheaper product. I think I paid around $15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Portenzo shipping is almost on par now (it's $20 - and I'd have to pay extra for the camera hole). Got 10% of the dodo just for having it sit in my cart for an hour so I bought that. 10€ more than it'd cost at amazon.de but who knows when they'll even get it in.

Thanks again for all the insight!