Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Red_Museum posted:

I remember hearing about this a few months back since it was filmed at Disneyland without permission.

Kinda getting the feeling that this is one of those movies where the "controversy" is more interesting than the actual film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mister Chief posted:

Transformers 4 teaser poster which hints at the inclusion of the dinobots.

I am... strangely okay with the inclusion of the Dinobots. Honestly, something like that would immensely help the Transformers movies, solving one of the biggest problems with the action scenes. Dinobots are visually very distinct from the rest of the Transformers, so at least if they're involved in a fight, we can identify one of the combatants.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
They can make Jurassic Park 4 at the same time.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Cleretic posted:

I am... strangely okay with the inclusion of the Dinobots. Honestly, something like that would immensely help the Transformers movies, solving one of the biggest problems with the action scenes. Dinobots are visually very distinct from the rest of the Transformers, so at least if they're involved in a fight, we can identify one of the combatants.

On the other hand it's not like they needed dinobots for that, as evidenced by that spectacular giant worm thing in the third movie. I'm just kind of excited since the concept of a dinobot seems too goddamn idiotic NOT to be good cinema. "Whoa was that giant robot?! Oh, nope, just a dinosaur. Phew."

e: who the gently caress am I even spoiler-tagging this for

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The reason I spoilered it is that I'm pretty sure the studio hasn't actually confirmed it but it was leaked along with a lot of other plot details.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I'm still just upset they didn't go with Trans4mers

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Vagabundo posted:

A special guest appearance by William Smith!? This, I gotta see!

Who's William Smith?
"Guest appearance" implies a TV show.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Calico Heart posted:

I'm still just upset they didn't go with Trans4mers

Yeah, this is too perfect. I'm sure someone somewhere down the marketing chain will think of this and it'll stick.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
They once did that with the early marketing for the next Thief game: THI4F.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Baron Bifford posted:

They once did that with the early marketing for the next Thief game: THI4F.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
But for once it actually works in pronunciation! It's not "Thifourf" or "Drivthreer" or the classic "Sesevenen". Definitely a title on par with classics like "2fast 2furious" and "4fast 4serious".

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Red_Museum posted:

I remember hearing about this a few months back since it was filmed at Disneyland without permission.

The text on this one is terribly generic (with matching default Photoshop outer glow) but I find the art a lot more interesting.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

AndyP posted:

Kinda getting the feeling that this is one of those movies where the "controversy" is more interesting than the actual film.

It's going to have to be one hell of a movie for its production to not be the most interesting thing about it. Some people on the internet who saw it at Sundance said that there were a lot of walkouts and that it had a bad script that felt like it was being weird to try and hide the fact that they couldn't make it cohesive, and most of the positive previews I've seen have been more about the guerilla filmmaking and the fact that it even exists more than the actual film itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NFPQfdlDZY

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's going to have to be one hell of a movie for its production to not be the most interesting thing about it. Some people on the internet who saw it at Sundance said that there were a lot of walkouts and that it had a bad script that felt like it was being weird to try and hide the fact that they couldn't make it cohesive, and most of the positive previews I've seen have been more about the guerilla filmmaking and the fact that it even exists more than the actual film itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NFPQfdlDZY

I plan on watching it just to see how the hell they get away with things. I'm sure I'll be more interested in what's happening in the background than the story, which I'm sure is as dumb as everyone suspects. Hopefully they didn't get anyone fired.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shanty posted:

But for once it actually works in pronunciation! It's not "Thifourf" or "Drivthreer" or the classic "Sesevenen". Definitely a title on par with classics like "2fast 2furious" and "4fast 4serious".

I have always mentally called Wip3out Wipethreeout and considered that a perfectly proper name.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

MikeJF posted:

I have always mentally called Wip3out Wipethreeout and considered that a perfectly proper name.

I still call it 'Se-seven-en' in my head sometimes.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Hewlett posted:

I still call it 'Se-seven-en' in my head sometimes.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I love 70s sci-fi posters like this one for Westworld...

a

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I wonder if that's where the Itchy and Scratchy Land joke comes from.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Definitely!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Possiblie!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Nice! haha.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I think you may have spelled that word wo r n g!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Red_Museum posted:

I have always wondered if it was possible to trademark a font.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aren't lots of fonts at least copyrighted?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Fonts are generally owned by the design houses that make them, they generally require licenses to use, sometimes a company hires a firm to make a font for them. Its possible that Disney has done that, I have no idea, that said, there are tons of knock off fonts and someone trying to recreate a font manually isn't usually actionable. Provided they didn't use an official actual Disney owned font its unlikely that anything could happen.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

FishBulb posted:

Fonts are generally owned by the design houses that make them, they generally require licenses to use, sometimes a company hires a firm to make a font for them. Its possible that Disney has done that, I have no idea, that said, there are tons of knock off fonts and someone trying to recreate a font manually isn't usually actionable. Provided they didn't use an official actual Disney owned font its unlikely that anything could happen.

This. Look-alike fonts (designed to resemble Gotham, or Avenir or whatever) are everywhere, and are generally "legal" because they're not based on any actual assets belonging to the font they're aping. The shapes are redrawn, and none of the actual, literal information from the source is used, so it becomes extremely difficult to argue infringement of a copyright...particularly if there are slight variations in the shapes, which there probably are. But larger entities, who'd actually be attractive targets since they have money, also probably license official fonts for their branding anyway. So it isn't particularly meaningful.

Though, for a company like Disney, I imagine their logotype is exactly that, and not a true typeface at all (that is, the lettering is made of custom shapes.) Disney could probably make a case for that poster infringing on their copyright, since they're litigious as gently caress, but it'd be a fascinating case since "Escape from Tomorrow" is probably also some custom-drawn thing designed to vaguely look like the Disney logo. The most damning element for the filmmaker would probably be the obvious intent to reference Disney's trademark.

This is a derail, but one thing I've always wondered about is how copyright statutes apply to fonts that are under copyright. A lot of the most popular modern typefaces are nearly 100 years old (like Helvetica, Futura, Gill Sans, etc.) and are already quite ubiquitous. And that's to say nothing of very antique typefaces like Garamond or Baskerville, which are literally centuries old. I'm curious how fair use or public domain works there.

Xealot fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 5, 2013

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

The Disney font actually has an interesting, and slightly complicated history. The Disney logo came first, based on Walt Disney's signature... a bit. A fan then made a font out of it, inventing the rest of the letters himself and releasing it for free on the internet, then slowly over the years Disney started using the font (without permission from the creator) in theme parks and in promotional materials.

Edit: Here is the wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waltograph

I know I read a longer article once, but I can't find it now.

Tears In A Vial fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 5, 2013

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

Tears In A Vial posted:

The Disney font actually has an interesting, and slightly complicated history. The Disney logo came first, based on Walt Disney's signature... a bit. A fan then made a font out of it, inventing the rest of the letters himself and releasing it for free on the internet, then slowly over the years Disney started using the font (without permission from the creator) in theme parks and in promotional materials.

Edit: Here is the wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waltograph

I know I read a longer article once, but I can't find it now.

Somewhere there's an exasperated Disney lawyer trying to explain that this is why they can't sue the film makers over the poster, and getting nowhere with it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Where's Walter?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

IN CINEMAS DECEMBER CHRISTMAS

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

IN CINEMAS DECEMBER CHRISTMAS

Yes those posters say "December" rather than "Christmas." How so very observant of you. Your parents must be so proud. :downsbravo:

--------------------------------------------------

New Machete Kills poster.

And this thing. I hope you weren't planning on sleeping.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

Where's Walter?

I gotta say, these Walter posters are doing the job for me. What's the deal with this Walter fella?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

spanky the dolphin posted:

What's the deal with this Walter fella?
Folks on the street call him by a different name -- Heisenberg.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

spanky the dolphin posted:

I gotta say, these Walter posters are doing the job for me. What's the deal with this Walter fella?

"The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" was a famous 1939 short story by James Thurber, expanded into the 1942 novel My World and Welcome to It, and a subsequent 1947 film prior to this one. The title character has a very mundane, empty life, but constantly imagines himself being on extraordinary adventures.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The trailer for Walter that I saw before The World's End was quite nice.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

"The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" was a famous 1939 short story by James Thurber, expanded into the 1942 novel My World and Welcome to It, and a subsequent 1947 film prior to this one. The title character has a very mundane, empty life, but constantly imagines himself being on extraordinary adventures.

The posters are actually doing a good job of showing that. Even the one that seems to be cribbed from an Achewood comic. An homage, if even unintentional, just makes the character even more pathetic.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Vagabundo posted:

New Machete Kills poster.

INTRODUCING CARLOS ESTEVEZ will never not be funny.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I love that Machete Kills poster, but I'm surprised there's no Lady Gaga credit. Maybe her role's really short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
What makes a movie poster good?