Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

PST posted:

Same. Amazing to see people go from 'Reaper are terrible' to 'mine shipped, Reaper are great'.

Mine shipped. Reaper get a C-.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Reaper now claim everything's shipped.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The video that accompanied the update has some interesting numbers (and a baby squirrel feeding from a paint dropper bottle):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oXzLM6hhn0

And to be clear, they're claiming all CONSUMER orders have shipped. I assume that means some retailer rewards are still ongoing, since they'll require packaging, etc.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 23, 2013

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ok guys, I think it's now obvious what happened. Reaper was getting the orders churned out, and right when they got to the last haul someone found a baby squirrel, whose mere presence hamstrung all further operations for weeks while everyone cooed over it and took turns feeding it.

Frankly, I believe they made the right choice.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Ashcans posted:

Frankly, I believe they made the right choice.

No, squirrels are devil-spawn and should be cleansed in holy fire. Bastards get into everything and chew through everything, and make it impossible to put up bird feeders or the like without making your yard into Squirrel Grand Central. Even "squirrel-proof" bird feeders. There is nothing in this world which is squirrel-proof.

Squirrels are also complete morons who will run right at your car half the time. Don't ask me how they're clever enough to defeat bird feeders (or other devices) intentionally designed to be squirrel-proof yet dumb enough not to get out of the way of a large fast-moving object. I didn't design them, the devil did.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Does anyone have the selection of links for tracking what figs you've received etc? I probably ought to add them to the OP - it would also be great if someone has a list of the names of the individual Bones figures - I'm going to start oathing them, and for the most part, I have no loving clue what they're actually called.

E: herp derp, they are of course, all listed by name in the Reaper Bones section of the website. I will just use that unless someone volunteers a useful cheatsheet.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Or you can just use the Bones breakdown:
http://greg.botch.com/bones/

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

thespaceinvader posted:

Does anyone have the selection of links for tracking what figs you've received etc? I probably ought to add them to the OP - it would also be great if someone has a list of the names of the individual Bones figures - I'm going to start oathing them, and for the most part, I have no loving clue what they're actually called.

E: herp derp, they are of course, all listed by name in the Reaper Bones section of the website. I will just use that unless someone volunteers a useful cheatsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuQ4o7XRaNGTdFFCaGxKcHFvZjA4OEJXUG5HMGhXMFE#gid=0

I used this spreadsheet in conjunction with the link Pierzak provided. A goon linked this awhile ago.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I opened the spreadsheet in OpenOffice, picked figures out of the box one-by-one and deleted each row of each figure I pulled out, putting them in a separate box. In theory any remaining rows were figures I didn't have.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I just printed the original image across 4 sheets of a4 and laid the figs out on top of it. I should have taken a photo.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
I got my ROW bones today. Despite the problems in the last part of the dispatch, this was definitely worth the wait. The minis look great. I don't even know when I am going to have enough time to open them all and check everything. I feel like I should have got the case as well now as I am struggling to think of a good, compact storage solution for these.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I've fitted mine into 10 1-litre food tubs (split vaguely up by type) and the Vampire box. It's a serviceable method, I'm banking on the fact that they're tough and hardwearing to make it work, along with the fact that all of the parts are uniquely-fitting, so I don't need to worry about mixing them up. I'll be transferring them into the case as they're painted.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Even if you had to wait, please realize it could be much worse. You could be waiting for Dreamforge stuff.

I still haven't gotten my second shipment of stuff, and there's supposed to be three. The second shipment was supposed to go out in I believe March of this year. Supposedly he's finally gotten a handle on it and I really don't fault him since it's such a small operation and he's had to organize all of it with so few people(if any, it might just be him) but that's still a significant delay, over half a year. I wonder when the third shipment stuff will go out.

It's a shame, because seriously, the Dreamforge stuff is leagues ahead of maybe even GW's minis. The detail is ridiculous, there's just the tiniest chest emblem details that still have full features on them, etc. The Leviathan Crusader (Titan stand-in) has almost the same complexity as a Gundam model kit. Just really impressive stuff for a small operation and I hope he gets on his feet again soon, I'd love to see him really become a big time player in the miniature industry. His stuff has a great aesthetic and quality to it, with great sprue design so that pieces come off with minimal amounts of connection flash.

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.

Imazul posted:

I just got mine and having never owned (let alone painted) miniatures before, this was such an incredible value. It also just motivated my DnD group to start back the campaign earlier then we planned. Now to head over to the painting megathread and figure out if I wanna try my hand at that.

So just to prove I wasn't full of poo poo. Here is my first painted mini ever (actually I ruined 2 other before that learning the basics).

So yes, it's full of mistakes, the color scheme is weird and inconsistent and it doesn't look anything like the tutorials I based off but god drat it looks better then all my other minis.

At least by the time I get through all my bones, I will be a pro painter.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Hey, I'm probably doing him in the oath thread next month. Mine, however, will be decked out in purple pimp coat because purple > all

Germ
May 7, 2013

First painted model ever? Hell of a job, mate. Good coverage. Neat, and some nice shading/highlighting. Hell of a great job!

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Agree, that's really good for your third model. It looks like you put in a lot of effort and research.

I'm probably also doing him in a future oath. :blush: I plan to mod him, though, and I'm having a little trouble finding the appropriate bits. I may just need to sculpt something, unfortunately.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Iris of Ether posted:

Agree, that's really good for your third model. It looks like you put in a lot of effort and research.

I'm probably also doing him in a future oath. :blush: I plan to mod him, though, and I'm having a little trouble finding the appropriate bits. I may just need to sculpt something, unfortunately.

Take a look through Reaper's boneyard. There are a lot of minis that have variant hands. Including, in fact, Mr. Hellborn himself, though I suspect the hand you aren't looking to replace.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

JackMann posted:

Take a look through Reaper's boneyard. There are a lot of minis that have variant hands. Including, in fact, Mr. Hellborn himself, though I suspect the hand you aren't looking to replace.

Yeah, I once painted that guy in metal, he has a bunch of hand options.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

JackMann posted:

The nice thing about Bones is that the plastic is soft enough to let you remove anything you don't want easily. So now that I've verified that these things are back in stock, I'm going to go place an order now. :3:

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

Iris of Ether posted:

The nice thing about Bones is that the plastic is soft enough to let you remove anything you don't want easily. So now that I've verified that these things are back in stock, I'm going to go place an order now. :3:

This is awesome beyond words.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Iris of Ether posted:

Holy poo poo, that's a 28mm scale BC Rich Widowmaker :aaaaa:

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
A year and 5 days after the end of the kickstarter, I've finally recieved all my bones.

Not a single model missing (if you want to speculate about late ROW orders), and they all look pretty great (though some need boiling far more than others). In particular I have no idea what naysayers of the clockwork dragon are on about, it looks fantastic.

btw, the Storm giants have gone to a friend along with the Kaladrax, C'thuhlu and Nethyrmaul; thus they aren't on the print outs.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

I may just be the last person in the world to have received them, but I finally have my Bones. I'll be unboxing them on Friday. Bros, Beers and Bones.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

It's funny that people complaining about being the last in the world still get to play with their toys before me because I agreed to some cockamamy plan to draft these models with other people with disparate schedules. Sure, this box has been sitting in my office for a couple months, but am I painting plastic? Nooooooo. Gotta wait two more weeks!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Finally finished reading this thread, off and on, since I got my tracking number info a couple of weeks ago.

I may be the winner of 'the last person to get their Bones', or at least the last goon to get theirs, as my shipment has been sitting with the UK's Her Majesty's Customs & Excise since last Friday. Hopefully I don't have to pay any Customs fees, but who knows!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Fix posted:

It's funny that people complaining about being the last in the world still get to play with their toys before me because I agreed to some cockamamy plan to draft these models with other people with disparate schedules. Sure, this box has been sitting in my office for a couple months, but am I painting plastic? Nooooooo. Gotta wait two more weeks!

I still have a month before I get mine.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I got mine last week. I'm still a bit mixed in my reception, as I find it really frustrating to get that first coat to grab on. Some paints are better than others, and I'll probably get to used to it after a while, but they are still frustrating to get started on. I just finished my first one, a chaos warrior type, and it's not so obvious that he's not a "normal" mini until you pick him up.

In the end, the Bones might simply end up as the minis that I can bring out when friends bring their kids around. They'll usually get excited about my collection, but I have nothing that I can let them play with. Now I can just chuck random monsters at them and leave them to play with them.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

lilljonas posted:

I got mine last week. I'm still a bit mixed in my reception, as I find it really frustrating to get that first coat to grab on.

Wash them. Seriously, don't even need soap, just use your fingers or an old toothbrush to scrub all around for a couple seconds under some running water. Once you do that, you don't even need primer.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Oh okay, yeah, I didn't realize you were having the nondrying primer problem. You can strip Bones with simple green.

You'll want to bookmark these threads on the Reaper forums (they cross-link each other so you can just bookmark one if you want):

Bones - Frequently Asked Questions

Bones - Preparation (mould line removal, glue, putty, etc.)

Bones - The First Coat is the Difference

The latter two have the meat on them.

Read this stuff. It tells you what works and what doesn't for painting Bones.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zurai posted:

Wash them. Seriously, don't even need soap, just use your fingers or an old toothbrush to scrub all around for a couple seconds under some running water. Once you do that, you don't even need primer.

I was priming all of my Bones until I finally just starting painting directly on them (clean). It worked fine, but I don't thin my paints as much. I also tried one with gesso as primer, and that seemed to work ok too.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

My trip report is even on the areas where I managed to rub the primer off with my cackhanded attempts to pin my first mini to the Secret Weapon base I swapped in, it still took paint well - not quite as well as over the primer, but meh, it was OK. On which note, my first painted bone:

My second is Galladon, the !Gandalf with the giant hat and the scroll, and my trip report with him is that 5 minutes in the freezer made the superglue easy to pop apart, because there was no loving way I was going to manage to paint him with his head on...

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I never crossposted my August oath. I'll leave it here as a demonstration of just how easy it is to do Bones conversions:

I also just received my tiny guitars. :3:

I like him. :)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

How are you doing those tiny bottles? beads?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Brave adventuring party faces gargantuan dragon:

Bones-figures are pretty nice. Lot of details and easy to cut.
Only problem I can see is that thin parts, like wings, are bit soft.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I've found the softness really variable actually. Some of my thinnest swords are pretty stiff, but Kaladrax's heady is outright bendy all over, as is his tail spike, and those are some of the largest parts. They're just made out of a completely different material.

Overall, the bendiness is on a par with WotC's minis, so, acceptable for my money. Also, DnDeeples :3:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Boil & quench to harden Bones.

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

My trip report is even on the areas where I managed to rub the primer off with my cackhanded attempts to pin my first mini to the Secret Weapon base I swapped in, it still took paint well - not quite as well as over the primer, but meh, it was OK. On which note, my first painted bone:

My second is Galladon, the !Gandalf with the giant hat and the scroll, and my trip report with him is that 5 minutes in the freezer made the superglue easy to pop apart, because there was no loving way I was going to manage to paint him with his head on...

I regret not making mine purple but I only have one shade of purple(for now) :(

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Imazul posted:

I regret not making mine purple but I only have one shade of purple(for now) :(

Red + Blue = Purple!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Red + Blue = Brown!
Fixed :v: That's why you buy purple paint.

• Locked thread