Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This is a grief similar to the one someone else mentioned before. I know it kind of pisses me off when people do it, lol.

In Counterstrike: Global Offensive (and CS:S) there is the gun game mode. I find the mode that comes with the game sucks, and the old school DM style gun game is more fun. You kill the enemy team with every gun to progress to the knife eventually. Now, in these gun games there is often instant respawning so you're constantly killing and dying and killing and dying. If you get stabbed yourself, you lose a level and the stabber gets the level. You're on teams, but you aren't working together. You yourself want to get the kills so you can win the game, not your team mates. What is frustrating to me is when some jackasses decide to knife only. That is, they become dangerous because they are set on sneaking up on the enemy team and stealing their levels.

In Counterstrike if you get shot you slow down. A lot. So generally if you see a guy with a knife coming at you its no problem to shoot him dead. The issue is when you're being shot by the enemy team that is attempting to progress and then you have these guys with knives closing the distance to get their easy kill. This in and of itself is something you can handle, no problem, part of the game. The issue is when it essentially hands those other team mates that are actually shooting the game. Instead of a shootout with the enemy team, you have these lemmings running out front with knives giving you free shots. Obviously the enemy team is going to target the knife guys because they are defenseless, easy kills, and are a threat too since they can steal their level.

So you're faced with enemies shooting at you and these guys with knives seeking to steal a level. Obviously they aren't going to win since they die 1 to 5 times, but they are critical to the success of the rest of their team by acting as shock troops. It can be mega greify since they are essentially giving up their shot to win in order to make sure others can't or don't win. They are effectively handing the victory to their team mates for no other reason than to make other players mad and maybe steal a lucky level or two.

Its kind of the like the War Thunder crashing the planes into one another except you can do it over and over and over again really fast in order to hand the victory to your team mates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
That doesn't sund so much like a grief as it does a legit way to play the game.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I've always wondered if there were teams who took gun game seriously, and played with 4 protecting a 'carry'. It seems like organizing a team would let you guys roll over every other group.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
That seems less like a grief and more like intelligent team-based tactics.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
You'll never believe what just happened in this match of Dota 2. First one guy used his stun, then the next guy used his stun and I died! Truly the most epic of griefs.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That's the thing, it WOULD be a great team tactic...if it were a team based game. You're competing against your team mates as much as the other team so it is really just a way to screw up the team dynamics.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Jastiger posted:

That's the thing, it WOULD be a great team tactic...if it were a team based game. You're competing against your team mates as much as the other team so it is really just a way to screw up the team dynamics.

This is only by convention though, no one says you have to or should be playing this way. It might grief your fellow teammates who want to get all the kills, but I don't think the enemy team would feel any grief from this. It's all in the game for the other team to use what works. It is the equivalent of playing pubs in dota and actually coordinating and using voice chat as opposed to just going for a sweet kdr.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jeffrey posted:

This is only by convention though, no one says you have to or should be playing this way. It might grief your fellow teammates who want to get all the kills, but I don't think the enemy team would feel any grief from this. It's all in the game for the other team to use what works. It is the equivalent of playing pubs in dota and actually coordinating and using voice chat as opposed to just going for a sweet kdr.

Ehhh I don't think that is an apt comparison. Only one person can win, not a team. If you're on the team with the knife-lemming you would be happy. Hey, easier kills for you as you have people on your team soaking up the shots and occasionally stealing levels from the enemy team. If you're on the team fighting the knife-lemmings it becomes a whole lot more difficult for anyone on your team to win.

Great teamwork? Yes. How the mode is meant to be played? Nah.

A better comparison would be like playing Risk and one player attacks over and over again in order to make the enemy weaker so YOU can win.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I mean, I hear what you are saying and I know that's how most people treat gun game. However, it is not a deathmatch game, you get a team and nothing in game indicates you should compete with your team. You play a round and one team wins, the game says "this team wins" and you play another. If valve wanted to they could remove the team aspect from gungame and have it just let you kill anyone. The risk analogy would be more apt if it were explicitly team risk, but you still competed with your team to be top dog without killing each other, and given that, it seems pretty legit.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Jastiger posted:

A better comparison would be like playing Risk and one player attacks over and over again in order to make the enemy weaker so YOU can win.

I've convinced people to do that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's how any team game with individual points is. You want your team to win, but you also want to be the best on your team.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jeffrey posted:

I mean, I hear what you are saying and I know that's how most people treat gun game. However, it is not a deathmatch game, you get a team and nothing in game indicates you should compete with your team. You play a round and one team wins, the game says "this team wins" and you play another. If valve wanted to they could remove the team aspect from gungame and have it just let you kill anyone. The risk analogy would be more apt if it were explicitly team risk, but you still competed with your team to be top dog without killing each other, and given that, it seems pretty legit.

Except that the mods I specifically mentioned do NOT say team wins. It says <player> wins. Its explicitly an individual victory. The team you are on is merely arbitrary.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

That's how any team game with individual points is. You want your team to win, but you also want to be the best on your team.

This is generally true at low levels, but if you have a coordinated team then you need not do this, and can perform better than teams who do. Gun game ends when any one player reaches max points, often both teams have WAY more points in total than one player would need to win. Even purposefully moving like a third of the "wasted" points to a single player can shift the game, it is a pretty big deal.

EDIT:^^^Okay, sure, if that's true then whatever. I was referring to gun game as it is shipped by Valve, not whatever random mod. I do wonder why that mod would even keep the vestigial notion of teams though.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jeffrey posted:

This is generally true at low levels, but if you have a coordinated team then you need not do this, and can perform better than teams who do. Gun game ends when any one player reaches max points, often both teams have WAY more points in total than one player would need to win. Even purposefully moving like a third of the "wasted" points to a single player can shift the game, it is a pretty big deal.

EDIT:^^^Okay, sure, if that's true then whatever. I was referring to gun game as it is shipped by Valve, not whatever random mod. I do wonder why that mod would even keep the vestigial notion of teams though.

Really for spawn purposes.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
Oh my God who gives a poo poo post griefing stories.

I played Payday 2 the other day and while the pubs were handing me the bags of cash they failed to notice that I was just hurling them into the ocean.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
So simple, yet so sublime.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Oppenheimer posted:

Oh my God who gives a poo poo post griefing stories.

I played Payday 2 the other day and while the pubs were handing me the bags of cash they failed to notice that I was just hurling them into the ocean.

Ok, please tell me you have screenshots (or video!) of them sitting in the water. I have to see this :allears:

There was a glitch in Uncharted 2 I used to do where you could throw the Plunder treasure, that both teams try to capture a set amount of times, into the water on a certain map and it was stuck there forever. I was teamkilled several hundred times for doing this. It also worked in co-op and probably still does.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Lunethex posted:

Ok, please tell me you have screenshots (or video!) of them sitting in the water. I have to see this :allears:

Unfortunately they don't sit in the water, they vanish and respawn where they originally appear in the map, you can go and get them again but it's a fair hassle by that point. Alternatively there's another mission on a bridge where you're supposed to get loot bags and throw them into a waiting helicopter, you can just chuck 'em off the bridge and they'll be gone for good.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Lunethex posted:

There was a glitch in Uncharted 2 I used to do where you could throw the Plunder treasure, that both teams try to capture a set amount of times, into the water on a certain map and it was stuck there forever.
Reminds me of what I do sometimes in Counter-Strike GO: there's a map called vertigo which is set on the top levels of a skyscraper that's under construction. There's no way down except jumping off the side (eg: suicide) so you can probably guess where I throw the bomb when I'm the bomb-carrier and stuck with a team that ignores objectives.

In most cases they are ignoring them so thoroughly that they don't even notice the bomb is missing until 2 minutes in, and usually after the enemy has guessed at what has happened and realised they need only run the clock down to win (and vertigo has a lot of places to hide).

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Been trolling the Star Citizen almost all day about Pirates. Yes, pirates. For a couple of hours people have been getting extremely upset that I have been insisting pirates scam, commit fraud and other things pirates would do if they had the chance.

The first thread was started by a goon who was curious as what kind of scamming in-game would be acceptable and what would be bannable.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/49015/devs-what-are-ban-worthy-acts-in-regards-to-piracy/p1

After a couple of pages it turned into me insisting pirates do anything they want because they're pirates and pirates do whatever the gently caress they want.

quote:

It would be wise on your part to avoid the scam part. Plunder and murder is fine. But scamming has the potential to impact people in a real-life capacity. Do it, and you will be shat on.

quote:

As if Goonrathi isn't already a big blaring target for counterattacks by the community, you're only making it worse for yourself and your brethren.

quote:

Holy crap... I give up. I'm going to take a piracy dump. Then pirate myself a beer from the fridge. Then eat some pirate chips. Apparently anything can be an act of piracy if you say it is. Why? 'Cause pirates are cool!!!

quote:

People keep saying "this isn't going to be like EVE". What they don't realize is this is going to be EXACTLY like EVE.

Exhibit A: game is 2 years away and people are already falling for the goonbait on the forums.

Seriously guys, how have you not figured this out yet? IT'S NOT THAT HARD.

And after a hour or two one of the guys I was majorly trolling actually made a thread about Pirates having a code of conduct.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/49217/what-should-be-the-professional-standard-for-piracy-discussion/p1

quote:

P.S. For those who think this is all a bunch of e-bushido nonsense, take that mentality of yours, shove it up where the sun don't shine, and kindly gently caress off back to EVE - we don't need your kind here.

quote:

Apparently, this person did not read what I said in prior posts. They're optional standards, but should be viewed as a "waterline mark" for how piracy should be conducted.

And I would like for you to stop posting in my thread. Your first post immediately shot down whatever credibility you had, and I will disregard any further statements you make. You could have written a thoughtful response, but you chose to edit a quote from me and turn it around on its head in a poorly disguised troll attempt.

Get out.

It's people taking internet piracy way to seriously. If you're really bored and want a good laugh go ahead and read the multiple pages in the first one or probably start on page 10. The second one isn't as good but it's getting there and is probably worth following.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WARDUKE
Sep 18, 2012

Muscly armed warrior with glowing eyes and shit.

UoI posted:

Been trolling the Star Citizen almost all day about Pirates. Yes, pirates. For a couple of hours people have been getting extremely upset that I have been insisting pirates scam, commit fraud and other things pirates would do if they had the chance.

I really enjoyed after all the back and forth with that guy responded to someone else:

NKato said:

That's fine and dandy, sir. :P Too bad I'm not good with jokes, though I could tell you one: What's black and white and red all over?

And you jumped in with:

"My pirate ship with the bodies of the people I've scammed with my pirate scams."

Awesome.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

UoI posted:

Been trolling the Star Citizen almost all day about Pirates.

I'm sorry, this is the thread about griefing in games. The "hey guys, check out my lovely repartee on these forums for a game no one can play yet" thread is on reddit.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

UoI posted:

It's people taking internet piracy way to seriously. If you're really bored and want a good laugh go ahead and read the multiple pages in the first one or probably start on page 10. The second one isn't as good but it's getting there and is probably worth following.

Is it okay with you if, when I play that game and act like an rear end in a top hat pirate who just steals poo poo from pubbies, I say "No it's okay, UoI said I could do it don't worry" as I take off into space with all of their money?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Slappy Moose posted:

Is it okay with you if, when I play that game and act like an rear end in a top hat pirate who just steals poo poo from pubbies, I say "No it's okay, UoI said I could do it don't worry" as I take off into space with all of their money?

As the "Pirate King of Goonrathi" I approve.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
But it's not moral :negative:

Also interesting to know that most pubs have no idea how the law in anything works.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wonder if real pirates ever had to deal with that. They just try to do their piracy in peace but then some guy is complaining that it's immoral to be a pirate. Swayed by his powerful words, all pirates agree that it's a pretty lovely thing to be and they give up forever.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cojawfee posted:

I wonder if real pirates ever had to deal with that. They just try to do their piracy in peace but then some guy is complaining that it's immoral to be a pirate. Swayed by his powerful words, all pirates agree that it's a pretty lovely thing to be and they give up forever.

Someone somewhere had to have more moral outrage than they did sense. He probably ended up dismembered and tossed into the sea as an example.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edited as its off topic, apologies

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 5, 2013

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cojawfee posted:

Many real-life pirates were incredibly organised, with well written codes of conduct and laws. Which only applied to themselves and were designed around not screwing each other over and having a captain who wasn't a complete wonk.

Viz, some Elizabethan era pirates, namely Bartholomew Roberts. AKA Black Bart, who wrote these in 1721:

quote:

ARTICLE I - Every man shall have an equal vote in affairs of moment. He shall have an equal title to the fresh provisions or strong liquors at any time seized, and shall use them at pleasure unless a scarcity may make it necessary for the common good that a retrenchment may be voted.

ARTICLE II - Every man shall be called fairly in turn by the list on board of prizes, because over and above their proper share, they are allowed a shift of clothes. But if they defraud the company to the value of even one dollar in plate, jewels or money, they shall be marooned. If any man rob another he shall have his nose and ears slit, and be put ashore where he shall be sure to encounter hardships.

ARTICLE III - None shall game for money either with dice or cards.

ARTICLE IV - The lights and candles should be put out at eight at night, and if any of the crew desire to drink after that hour they shall sit upon the open deck without lights.

ARTICLE V - Each man shall keep his piece, cutlass and pistols at all times clean and ready for action.

ARTICLE VI - No boy or woman to be allowed amongst them. If any man shall be found seducing any of the latter sex and carrying her to sea in disguise he shall suffer death.

ARTICLE VII - He that shall desert the ship or his quarters in time of battle shall be punished by death or marooning.

ARTICLE VIII - None shall strike another on board the ship, but every man's quarrel shall be ended on shore by sword or pistol in this manner. At the word of command from the quartermaster, each man being previously placed back to back, shall turn and fire immediately. If any man do not, the quartermaster shall knock the piece out of his hand. If both miss their aim they shall take to their cutlasses, and he that draweth first blood shall be declared the victor.

ARTICLE IX - No man shall talk of breaking up their way of living till each has a share of l,000. Every man who shall become a cripple or lose a limb in the service shall have 800 pieces of eight from the common stock and for lesser hurts proportionately.

ARTICLE X - The captain and the quartermaster shall each receive two shares of a prize, the master gunner and boatswain, one and one half shares, all other officers one and one quarter, and private gentlemen of fortune one share each.

:goonsay:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Pirates were pretty cool, and historically (aside from murdering and pillaging) were a lot nicer than legitimate captains and crews of the time period.

Yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Error 404 posted:

Pirates were pretty cool, and historically (aside from murdering and pillaging) were a lot nicer than legitimate captains and crews of the time period.

A lot of people became pirates because being a legit sailor was such a raw, lovely deal that got you treated like crap. And really, if you were on a military vessel you'd probably still be murdering and pillaging anyway. You'd just be murdering and pillaging different people.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Black Bart posted:

ARTICLE VI - No boy or woman to be allowed amongst them. If any man shall be found seducing any of the latter sex and carrying her to sea in disguise he shall suffer death.

I love the implication that this was a common enough problem that they had to make a rule for it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Slime posted:

A lot of people became pirates because being a legit sailor was such a raw, lovely deal that got you treated like crap. And really, if you were on a military vessel you'd probably still be murdering and pillaging anyway. You'd just be murdering and pillaging different people.

And the bosses took more off the top.

Piracy: the ancestor of the modern worker-owned coop model.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hello Sailor posted:

I'm sorry, this is the thread about griefing in games. The "hey guys, check out my lovely repartee on these forums for a game no one can play yet" thread is on reddit.

I seem to have missed your lovely post.

Anyway, if you hadn't noticed there are plenty of other forums grief stories in here, see some of STO's stories. If you don't like griefing forum stories feel free to not read them. Also, if you know there's a thread like that on Reddit it implies you go to Reddit. So go back to Reddit and don't come back. :frogout:

Error 404 posted:

Being a pirate in Star Citizen will be the best thing. If it doesn't turn out to be a lovely game anyway. :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Black Bart posted:

ARTICLE IX - No man shall talk of breaking up their way of living till each has a share of l,000. Every man who shall become a cripple or lose a limb in the service shall have 800 pieces of eight from the common stock and for lesser hurts proportionately.
Even pirates got company healthcare.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I like that they had a curfew, probably because after a long day of piracy you just want some sleep and GODDAMIT BOB WILL YOU PUT THE loving CANDLE OUT GO ON THE DECK. NO, gently caress THIS WE'RE HAVING A VOTE AND PUTTING IT IN THE BYLAWS.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

So some months ago in Planetside 2 we were attacking Crimson Bluff tower, and someone in our outfit yelled something along the lines of "you die, TR," which brought up a conversation about the viet cong, which eventually transitioned into talking about the Vanu Conglomerate in yell chat.

For those of you who don't know, there are three factions in Planetside 2, the Vanu Sovereignty, the New Conglomerate, and the Terran Republic. The game is a three way PvP match up with a few thousand players, and since people are dumb and culling exists, players will often assume that the entirety of both of the other factions are attacking them. This led to a lot of whining by the community, and so, with the idea of the Vanu Cong, we decided to make it our new gimmick.

I decided to make a few joke propaganda pictures, which got uploaded to the official forums, and eventually turned into forum signatures. Then, we got together with the NC goons for a one night ATRA operation. We had maybe 40 people online in both outfits head over to a continent that TR was ghost capping with their entire population, and then both went to one base and waited. What followed was us getting annihilated by almost all of the server's TR, and, more importantly, some complete magic on the official forums.

A goon posted a thread on the forums suggesting that cross faction alliances should be implemented so ATRA can be made official. Here are some highlights from before the thread was deleted:

This was pretty funny, but we realized we could still probably do more, so we got together with both goon outfits one night and went to the continent where TR had 600~ people on fighting a few dozen NC and VS. We had maybe 40 people on between us, and what followed was us getting pretty much annihilated when all of Mattherson TR showed up. Of course, this was pretty much exactly what we expected, and it also led to all we could have hoped for and more. A thread we didn't even start ourselves. :allears:

The thread was deleted after around 12 pages, but the legend of ATRA lived on. For the next few weeks/months we would see pubbies /yelling about ATRA when fighting TR, and the TR global population's slow, downward spiral actually began to pick up steam. :patriot:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

Many real-life pirates were incredibly organised, with well written codes of conduct and laws. Which only applied to themselves and were designed around not screwing each other over and having a captain who wasn't a complete wonk.

Viz, some Elizabethan era pirates, namely Bartholomew Roberts. AKA Black Bart, who wrote these in 1721:

:goonsay:

They forgot the best rule for griefing, number XI:

quote:

The musicians shall have rest on the Sabbath Day only by right. On all other days by favor only.

:bandwagon:

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Benagain posted:

I like that they had a curfew, probably because after a long day of piracy you just want some sleep and GODDAMIT BOB WILL YOU PUT THE loving CANDLE OUT GO ON THE DECK. NO, gently caress THIS WE'RE HAVING A VOTE AND PUTTING IT IN THE BYLAWS.

The curfew was probably so they didn't get spotted at night by people who wanted to kill them or run from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Slime posted:

You got recruited by force, too. And if you refused to be recruited you got hanged! It was poo poo pay compared to being a merchant sailor and they withheld pay to prevent desertion. No wonder people chose to do basically the same thing but as pirates, especially when you consider that if you desert the navy but don't become a pirate you'd probably get put in prison or hanged anyway.

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 4, 2013

• Locked thread