Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Why does everyone keep saying "she?" I never got far in that game, but I'm pretty sure we are talking about the prince, not princess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Cardiovorax posted:

Why does everyone keep saying "she?" I never got far in that game, but I'm pretty sure we are talking about the prince, not princess.

Don't know what you played, but it's definitely a girl.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Huh. I guess you're right. Funny, I never noticed.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

She's the best mage in the game that doesn't rely on moving peeps around like Aht does, and has some pretty great skills in general. She basically stops being poo poo once she learns G-Frost.
That's good to know. It was just that she was doing something like 35 damage at most when everyone else was easily hitting the 70s. Everyone else also had a lot more flexibility with regards to moving enemies around or healing. The difference felt deliberate.

My inclination at the moment though is to mostly use Aht and either Grafka or Marco, since they have some enemy moving skills and those traps are helluva powerful.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Does anyone here know for a fact which of the early RPGs was the first to include automapping? From what I've read I'm getting totally mixed reports that it was Phantasie, Questron II, Bard's Tale III and Might and Magic II.

Apparently Beyond Zork had it, but that's not an RPG...

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Sep 5, 2013

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Nate RFB posted:

That's good to know. It was just that she was doing something like 35 damage at most when everyone else was easily hitting the 70s. Everyone else also had a lot more flexibility with regards to moving enemies around or healing. The difference felt deliberate.

My inclination at the moment though is to mostly use Aht and either Grafka or Marco, since they have some enemy moving skills and those traps are helluva powerful.

That's a solid choice too. Stocke/Aht/Gafka ends up being a very, very strong party that can build up huge combo numbers and take advantage of them with powerful attacks.

Eruca does become powerful with enough work, but she has the worst availability of any character, so for a lot of the game you'll have to use someone else anyway. In particular, she's the only character who isn't in your party for one of the best late-game grinding spots, which makes her a pain to level up.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thuryl posted:

That's a solid choice too. Stocke/Aht/Gafka ends up being a very, very strong party that can build up huge combo numbers and take advantage of them with powerful attacks.

Eruca does become powerful with enough work, but she has the worst availability of any character, so for a lot of the game you'll have to use someone else anyway. In particular, she's the only character who isn't in your party for one of the best late-game grinding spots, which makes her a pain to level up.

Its funny because I steamrolled that games difficulty by just never switching from the initial team Hell-Spiders not withstanding. As long as you have somebody who can pop out some g-magic you can wreck anything in the game just alternating them.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BadAstronaut posted:

Does anyone here know for a fact which of the early RPGs was the first to include automapping? From what I've read I'm getting totally mixed reports that it was Phantasie, Questron II, Bard's Tale III and Might and Magic II.

Apparently Beyond Zork had it, but that's not an RPG...

Wizardry had automapping if I recall, but you needed to cast a spell in order to view it.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Wizardry had automapping if I recall, but you needed to cast a spell in order to view it.

You're talking about the DUMAPIC spell, but that just gave you your coordinates in the dungeon to assist you in finding where you were. Some of the later remakes on consoles turned that spell into an automap, but that was long after the initial release.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

reposting here

Tamba posted:

http://www.carpefulgur.com/drakblog/?p=48

So, the mysterious project 4 actually was Trails in the Sky SC, huh

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Tamba posted:

reposting here

Oh my god, oh my god.
This...
I can't even...

Holy crap am I so excited.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Tamba posted:

reposting here

Oh good, reading closer it sounds like FC is ALSO coming to Steam. Thank god!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Jesus it only took like 3 years. I'm glad it's finally happening and working out on a platform that can still make money. Good for them!

Ahh, won't be able to import our PSP saves to the PC version I guess. Not that I'm even sure if that was a thing?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

No, but there is going to be a PSP version too. (Yes, a psp game in 2014).

I think the PSP version has extra party members too, so baring the lower resolution it might be the version to play.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

According to Neogaf, they're planning on bringing the PSP extras to the PC version.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Tamba posted:

reposting here

So if I'm reading that correctly Carpe Fulger is doing all the localization for the second part? But the steam release of the first game is using the psp localization? At any rate this is good news. I've owned TITS on the psp since last year but held off playing because I was afraid the sequels would never be released. I'll still probably hold off for the steam version, but I'm pretty excited.

Also the blog mentions Recettear has passed 300k sales which is pretty amazing (and well-deserved) when you think about it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So, this is the Trails in the Sky sequel right? As in, I should play the first Trails in the Sky game on the PSP before picking this up?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Yeah, this game starts the day after the ending in the first game.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Morpheus posted:

So, this is the Trails in the Sky sequel right? As in, I should play the first Trails in the Sky game on the PSP before picking this up?

You should definitely play the first one before the second. The first will be released on Steam this winter as well so you can play both on either PC or PSP.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Joshlemagne posted:

So if I'm reading that correctly Carpe Fulger is doing all the localization for the second part? But the steam release of the first game is using the psp localization?

This is correct. SC is "ours", while PC-FC will use the script Jessica Chavez and crew produced for the PSP version.

quote:

Also the blog mentions Recettear has passed 300k sales which is pretty amazing (and well-deserved) when you think about it.

It just never stops selling. I love it.

Anyway. Sup. Yeah this is Project Four and it's what I've been dying to announce for going on two years. I really hope people end up enjoying it, because I know I've had fun working on it, as long a journey as it's been.

I still can't answer a lot of publisher-focused questions like release date or price and whatnot, but I'm happy to talk about the game itself.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

This is correct. SC is "ours", while PC-FC will use the script Jessica Chavez and crew produced for the PSP version.

Is it hard following someone else's translation like that that? I know you guys like to put your own particular spin on the stuff you do. Do you feel a bit limited by keeping it consistent with the first?

I have to say it's pretty great to be able to support not just Falcom. Not just Xseed. But Falcom, Xseed, and CF all by buying one game. Glad to see you guys still livin' the dream and good luck to you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

Anyway. Sup. Yeah this is Project Four and it's what I've been dying to announce for going on two years. I really hope people end up enjoying it, because I know I've had fun working on it, as long a journey as it's been.

I still can't answer a lot of publisher-focused questions like release date or price and whatnot, but I'm happy to talk about the game itself.

Well, I'm already sold. You're going to get so many sales off this.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

SpaceDrake posted:

I have few questions:

1. Is there a save file transfer between games?

2. Will it be Vita compatible?

Well, this gives me an excuse to play the first game at least...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tamba posted:

reposting here

Guess it's time to try and force myself to beat this game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Will all the treasure chests have a message if you examine then when they're empty?

This is of the utmost importance.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
That was a pretty short teaser, but was still enough to get me hyped for (next) Summer :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97yk-HRk3Pc

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Unlucky7 posted:

I have few questions:

1. Is there a save file transfer between games?

Between games on the same platform, yes. You will get various bonuses if you carry data over (especially if you got a real good Bracer rank in FC), and certain small story elements can change if you do. It isn't as sweeping as, say, Mass Effect, but there is a difference.

Due to proprietary technology and whatnot, though, saves between the PC and PSP are not compatible, and converters are unlikely.

quote:

2. Will it be Vita compatible?

Yes. A large part of the reason the PSN version even exists is so that Vita owners can play it. (For a long time, SC was the only Trails game Vita owners couldn't play since it took a long time to get a digital version.) It will work on the Vita, no problem.

Cake Attack posted:

Will all the treasure chests have a message if you examine then when they're empty?

This is of the utmost importance.

I'm pretty sure those are a requirement at this point. :v: Jess might even be helping out with those. We'll see!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
This is great news. I've wanted to play the first one for a while, but never got it because of the fact that the sequel seemed in limbo.

Here's my question.

It's a trilogy, right? Is the Third planned to do after the second chapter? I realize, given the size of them, even thinking that far in advance is hard, but I'm curious if it's at least been considered.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Prism posted:

This is great news. I've wanted to play the first one for a while, but never got it because of the fact that the sequel seemed in limbo.

Here's my question.

It's a trilogy, right? Is the Third planned to do after the second chapter? I realize, given the size of them, even thinking that far in advance is hard, but I'm curious if it's at least been considered.

It isn't really a "trilogy"; 3rd is what most Americans would really call a standalone expansion pack. Think Dragon Age Awakening - it's sort of its own story that can be played on its own but featuring a lot of the same characters and expanding on details from the previous duology, and also recycling a number of assets.

The "core" game is the duology of FC and SC. 3rd just sort of sits there on its own. It's also something that shouldn't be worked on if SC doesn't sell very well, because 3rd re-opens a lot of plot threads that SC kind of lets lie. So there are no plans to do 3rd right now, because it isn't really necessary to the main plot of Trails in the Sky and SC is a far better "stopping place" if we can't bring the rest of the games over.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

SpaceDrake posted:

It isn't really a "trilogy"; 3rd is what most Americans would really call a standalone expansion pack. Think Dragon Age Awakening - it's sort of its own story that can be played on its own but featuring a lot of the same characters and expanding on details from the previous duology, and also recycling a number of assets.

The "core" game is the duology of FC and SC. 3rd just sort of sits there on its own. It's also something that shouldn't be worked on if SC doesn't sell very well, because 3rd re-opens a lot of plot threads that SC kind of lets lie. So there are no plans to do 3rd right now, because it isn't really necessary to the main plot of Trails in the Sky and SC is a far better "stopping place" if we can't bring the rest of the games over.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. That's good to know. I look forward to getting my hands on the first two at least, then!

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I have never played Trails in the Sky, but I think it was the only RPG on that Kotaku "20 JRPGs you must play" list that I haven't played, so I'll probably give it a try.

Right now, though, I'm in the middle of Suikoden V since I just finished IV, and oh my god V is so good. I liked IV about as much as I liked III, but V is really really good, possibly the second-best of the series if it keeps up (I just saw Lymsleia's coronation ceremony for reference).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CVagts posted:

I have never played Trails in the Sky, but I think it was the only RPG on that Kotaku "20 JRPGs you must play" list that I haven't played, so I'll probably give it a try.

Right now, though, I'm in the middle of Suikoden V since I just finished IV, and oh my god V is so good. I liked IV about as much as I liked III, but V is really really good, possibly the second-best of the series if it keeps up (I just saw Lymsleia's coronation ceremony for reference).

To be honest if you've gotten that far in SV and really enjoy it, you're going to probably continue to feel that way. The parts that most turn people off are the early sections.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I loved Suikoden V from the very start and thought the ending was probably the weakest part actually. Still a great game overall though

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
V stays awesome the whole way through, the start is definitely the weakest part due to how little you actually get to play. Once you can run around and gather your crew of badasses it becomes one of the best PS2 RPGs.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
The night raid in Suikoden II is the best moment in any Suikoden game in my view (and one of the best scenes in any RPG I've played), but the New Queen's Campaign in S5 might be the second-best of the series, ESPECIALLY with the aftermath of the Galleon cutscene regarding Georg Prime and the queen.

Then again, I am trying to hold back a bit because I liked S4 and then the ending was a bit of a sour note.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I'm still playing Trails in the Sky. 25 hours into the game, I'm still only on chapter 2, and I'm decorating schools and clearing out 'haunted' buildings and having conversations with treasure chests and oh god there's so much to do. :shepface:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

And to think the second game is almost double the size of the first one.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Finished Suikoden V, probably my second-favorite in the series after II. I thought the ending would be a little flat when there was another dungeon to go through after beating the Godwins and rescuing my sister, but it held together fine. Lyon and Georg are two of my favorite characters in the series, I think; the longer length of the game let them hash out characters more than the rest of the series.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

How are the Suikoden games in terms of level of what I want to call 'maturity' without sounding condescending, which I'm not trying to be at all.

What I often dislike about JRPGs is the seemingly juvenile conversations and lead characters being children or teenagers that act like children or teenagers. In some games it can be a little endearing, but far too often the characters and themes utterly fail to connect with me, which I obviously find disappointing as it means I'm missing out on going through some epic titles as a result

Why is this so often the case?
Why are Japanese RPGs so often 'juvenile' while Western RPGs have much more adult themes and on the whole generally take themselves a lot more seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BadAstronaut posted:

How are the Suikoden games in terms of level of what I want to call 'maturity' without sounding condescending, which I'm not trying to be at all.
I find that Suikoden 1 and 2 are best about this, and their localizations are pretty colloquial so they get their crass characters across well and their more--for lack of a better word--anime characters aren't fully able to get their annoying traits across. 3 has a certain amount of maturity to it as well but that game is just bad and the pacing is so horrible that it's very hard to get into. 4's localization is bland, but it would've taken itself pretty seriously if its English script wasn't about as interesting as watching grass grow without time lapse photography.

If you play 5, get the undub version. Holy poo poo I cannot stand the US voice cast, and it sounds like you wouldn't be able to either.