Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Lblitzer posted:

I was really impressed with the video, but is WD coming out on PC? Doesn't RPS usually just cover PC stuff?

It's coming to every conceivable platform including the freakin WiiU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Lblitzer posted:

I was really impressed with the video, but is WD coming out on PC? Doesn't RPS usually just cover PC stuff?

AngryBooch posted:

From the official website:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

AngryBooch posted:

Oh I thought it was just the Playstation and Xbox consoles, now I am very excited! Is there still no cross-platform play?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Lblitzer posted:

Oh I thought it was just the Playstation and Xbox consoles, now I am very excited! Is there still no cross-platform play?
Not as far as I know? Unless they've figured out a way to make XBL, PSN, Nintendo Network, and Steam all work together without any hiccups. On six different vastly different platforms with vastly different specs? (You say still like it should be expected at this point, but I can't think of any AAA title with that feature.)

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Theodyn posted:

So, uh, can you take off Aiden's stupid hat? This is important.
I'm more concerned about being able to tie the belt on that trench coat. Loose, flappy straps aren't as bad as a cape, but they're gonna get caught in a door and get him shot.

Uluru
Feb 21, 2007

Who dares to defy me?! I am Uluru the invincible!

Theodyn posted:

So, uh, can you take off Aiden's stupid hat? This is important.

No, Aiden's hat is plot critical. Xbone players will be required to wear one themselves during play.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

That video was encouraging because instead of vague hype about "emergent gameplay" and whatnot, I can actually figure out the man behind the curtain, and I can tell that the game is going to be good, but it's not going to be the sort of miracle the marketing department has been hinting at.

The CTOS server centres are obviously planned and designed encounters for every neighborhood, for instance, and the designers will have placed things like convenient crates for jumping over the fence, cover you can pop up with your phone, and so on there. It's a sort of mission stage set within the open world. Wifi hotspots will presumably push at you a small random mini-encounter, like the mother with the baby, presenting you with a scenario where you can act in a certain way. Not sure how the "your mug shows up on the TV" thing works in the actual game, it's probably another random event that can happen in a shop if you have enough notoriety or something like that. And the information snippets about people like "is allergic to peanuts" are drawn randomly from a list and put there just for flavour, there isn't anything deeper to it. Maybe it allows you to build your own narrative in some situations ("This guy is an embezzler so of course I'm going to punch him in the face").

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Antti posted:

And the information snippets about people like "is allergic to peanuts" are drawn randomly from a list and put there just for flavour, there isn't anything deeper to it. Maybe it allows you to build your own narrative in some situations ("This guy is an embezzler so of course I'm going to punch him in the face").

The developer podcast talked about how it's not just random from a list, they actually use demographic data for the different areas to put appropriate flavor information on the characters. You'll see different people in the poorer areas than you will in downtown, all with different problems.

I guess you can still boil that down to "from a list" but they deserve more credit for some of this.

Edit: Something I like is that since your world will always be your world no matter the situation, you have to care about maintaining your reputation. This will be the first game since Infamous where I care about avoiding innocent casualties.

-Dethstryk- fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 4, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I don't care if it's just flavor text, I still love it. The "flavor thoughts" you got from The World Ends With You didn't amount to anything either, but they just made the whole experience feel richer.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

What I want to know is if you can have a buddy jump on a tablet to while hunting an invading hacker, and can the hacker get his buddy on a tablet for some 2v2 action? because if you can, I need this game like yesterday drat

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm curious about how fast the PvP hacking actually is, it looked like that first 1% was really slow but then the bar disappeared completely so it's impossible to know for sure. if the whole thing is that slow and you have to get as close to the other person to hack as he did in the video I don't see how you're ever going to avoid getting caught.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sindai posted:

I'm curious about how fast the PvP hacking actually is, it looked like that first 1% was really slow but then the bar disappeared completely so it's impossible to know for sure. if the whole thing is that slow and you have to get as close to the other person to hack as he did in the video I don't see how you're ever going to avoid getting caught.

It'll be like the Assassin's Creed MP where the enemy is indistinguishable from the crowds of NPCs that surround you all the time anyway, and you can't stay 50 feet from every person in the city forever and still get anything done.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Even though you need to get to a server to be able to hack a city block, it looks like you're able to hack stuff within the walls of the server itself. I wonder if you ever need to subvert or disable cameras to prevent them from seeing you. Shooting them out seems like a bad idea since you can take control of them yourself.

Does his smartphone double as a wireless lockpick for cars?

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Speedball posted:

Does his smartphone double as a wireless lockpick for cars?

Yeah, it's hacking the radio stuff for keyless systems, and by that point I guess everything is keyless. Better for gameplay anyway.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
How does Aiden conceal all of his assault rifles and poo poo? Does he hack them into his cell phone?

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm more concerned about being able to tie the belt on that trench coat. Loose, flappy straps aren't as bad as a cape, but they're gonna get caught in a door and get him shot.

Way to spoil the ending jerk.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Raneman posted:

How does Aiden conceal all of his assault rifles and poo poo? Does he hack them into his cell phone?

They're in 'The Cloud'.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Raneman posted:

Spoilers: this game takes place in the matrix.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I have absolutely no problem with Aiden being able to utilize hyperspace to carry eight weapons at once. If it works for Saint's Row and Assassin's Creed, it works here. I don't want to Halo this up.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
In the future tower climbing been replaced by server hacking.

And instead of killing templar in each region, you must save 10 women from their abusive spouses.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They've been keeping a lid on a lot of the premise of this game. Why you are specifically an outlaw, who potential friends or enemies are, etc. Either they will be completely inconsequential or they just don't want spoilers drifting around. Hard to say.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Speedball posted:

They've been keeping a lid on a lot of the premise of this game. Why you are specifically an outlaw, who potential friends or enemies are, etc. Either they will be completely inconsequential or they just don't want spoilers drifting around. Hard to say.

I feel they have been keeping the lid on just about everything, this game has been in development for so long and its been public knowledge for a few years yet outside of the basic setting I feel like there isn't that much info out there for the game. Is there even a map of the city out?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Crigit posted:

Way to spoil the ending jerk.

That can't be the ending, there aren't enough aliens.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Evil Canadian posted:

I feel they have been keeping the lid on just about everything, this game has been in development for so long and its been public knowledge for a few years yet outside of the basic setting I feel like there isn't that much info out there for the game. Is there even a map of the city out?

Well... it's Chicago. It's not like they can get too out there with it.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Okay, I have to admit it's been a long time since I was this excited about the lead up to a game. So far everything has looked great. The only thing I'm worrying about is that they haven't revealed the story at all and it's Ubisoft, they don't have the best track record there. But even if it's terribly stupid, it looks like just dicking around in the sandbox will be fun enough to make it worth buying.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Two things that might make or break it are how satisfying its progression system is, whatever form that takes, and ultimately how much variety it has to offer. Variety makes or breaks a lot of sandbox-type games, because in a big area you mess around in, you want to have a lot to mess around with.

For example, as awesome as Just Cause 2 was, there wasn't actually a lot of variety in what your capabilities were. Every cool trick you can do in the game, you can do from the start--no less, no more--so instead of always having something new to look forward to it just starts to get stale after a while. (For me, anyway, I haven't heard any similar complains from anyone else who ever played it). The upgrades only made guns suck less and custom cars drive better, incrementally, and there weren't any variations in side-activities beyond the occasional race.

Watch Dogs' focus on being able to use the environment around you as a tool, the ability to hack almost every single person on the street, and those vigilante events seem like they'll definitely spice things up. It all depends on how much "there" is there. What we've seen is really good, but I hope there's more they're not showing us, a lot more.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Dauntasa posted:

Spoilers: this game takes place in the matrix.
CTOS and corp are the Red pills, Aidan is proto-Agent Smith.

I'm guessing there's still no PC release date for this? :(

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Croccers posted:

CTOS and corp are the Red pills, Aidan is proto-Agent Smith.

I'm guessing there's still no PC release date for this? :(
November 22nd unless things have changed? Any more updates to this list of poo poo I posted a couple of months back? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3488596&pagenumber=21&perpage=40#post416547523

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

zylche posted:

November 22nd unless things have changed? Any more updates to this list of poo poo I posted a couple of months back? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3488596&pagenumber=21&perpage=40#post416547523

November 21 here. Of course, we always get games a day early.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
This is looking pretty great, though I'm a little worried that I've seen all of those exact same scenarios in other gameplay videos. I'm sure there's a lot more variety, it just doesn't look like it yet.

I'm not at "OMG MUST PREORDER" levels of hype, but definitely one I'll be keeping an eye on.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Man, the 14-min gameplay video just completely changed my attitude towards this game. Up to now I just didn't really get the hype, but now I'm dying to jump and mess with people. The MP aspect looks enormously fun, love the notion that you can just sneakily drop into a game and blend in.

The one thing that got to me is them (as always), talking about how they want to bring morality into it. The whole scene with the mum's laptop immediately made me think twice about the action, and it would have been so much more enjoyable if they hadn't then immediately gone "LOOK! MORAL CHOICES". Gtfo with that poo poo, just leave conundrums in my path and stop telling me all about them.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I just laughed at that part. "It's not so black and white, we want to make real moral choices. Now, do you steal this single mother's money y/n".

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

zylche posted:

Yeah but bear in mind it's an Ubisoft PC release, so expect an announcement on like November 14th that the PC version is delayed for three weeks because Ubisoft.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Terper posted:

I just laughed at that part. "It's not so black and white, we want to make real moral choices. Now, do you steal this single mother's money y/n".

There was actually a blog post a while back where they went into it in more detail, and yeah, there's actually more depth than we saw in the video. It's been a while now, but their morality system was more of an X/Y map than a simple scale. The X axis was the usual Bioware-style morality scale of "helps old ladies across the street" vs "kicks puppies and laughs about it", but then the Y axis was about public perceptions of "doing the right thing" vs "doing the wrong thing".

So in the example from that video, you can wait until the guy starts assaulting the woman before intervening - you're endangering the victim, but you look like a hero. On the other hand, you can stop the crime before it happens, thus keeping the public safe but you come off looking like an rear end in a top hat. And then it factors in how you deal with the situation - do you shoot him, subdue him, chase him, let him run off etc. Again, if you give chase and safely restrain him then you're a hero, but if you murder someone while doing it, what's the point?

Dunno if any of this is still in the game, or whether it'll have any real impact, but it definitely sounds intriguing and a step up from the usual "moral choices" games offer.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I like that idea a lot, but for a dynamically rewarding/punishing system like that to really work, the game is going to have to very clearly explain all possibilities to the player at least once.

If the first time the player happens upon an event like this and he stops the crime by just shooting the criminal in the face before the crime is committed, causing his wanted level to go way up while his rep goes way down, he's immediately going to assume that's just what happens every time you try to stop crime, which means he's not going to participate in that part of the game from then on because what's in it for him?

But if he knows that it could go great or could go poorly, or anywhere between very great and very poorly, suddenly that procedural event becomes what every procedural event wants to be. Interesting.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 5, 2013

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

GreatGreen posted:

I like that idea a lot, but for a dynamically rewarding/punishing system like that to really work, the game is going to have to very clearly explain all possibilities to the player at least once.

If the first time the player happens upon an event like this and he stops the crime by just shooting the criminal in the face before the crime is committed, causing his wanted level to go way up while his rep goes way down, he's immediately going to assume that's just what happens every time you try to stop crime, which means he's not going to participate in that part of the game from then on because what's in it for him?

But if he knows that it could go great or could go poorly, or anywhere between very great and very poorly, suddenly that procedural event becomes what every procedural event wants to be. Interesting.

If there's anything I trust a Ubisoft game to do, it's overexplain every single facet of the game to players with giant boxes of text over and over again, even after the player has obviously figured it out.

At least until AC3, which didn't even bother to have tutorials for entirely new gameplay concepts that most players otherwise didn't even know existed. So hopefully they didn't do that.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Terper posted:

Yeah, you can save old ladies by stopping criminals and that gets you really good public rep, but when you can steal money for free and do it invisibly and use it to buy guns, it's an interesting bit of moral gameplay that I can see myself enjoying.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Reive posted:

They're in 'The Cloud'.

Read this as they're in his butt

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Boing posted:

Yeah, you can save old ladies by stopping criminals and that gets you really good public rep, but when you can steal money for free and do it invisibly and use it to buy guns, it's an interesting bit of moral gameplay that I can see myself enjoying.

You can also save old ladies by stopping the criminal before he acts, but then you look like a crazy person to the public. Or you wait until she gets mugged and look like a vigilante. Its an interesting choice that hopefully won't end up too simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
How exactly are they going to handle the CTOS assault quests? I mean, if some dude broke into a federal facility (cause let's be honest, the feds would be all over a system like CTOS, regardless of its origins) and gunned down 10 contractors, the entire city would go on lockdown until the perpetrator was apprehended. And then they'd tear down the entire system until they determined exactly what the perpetrator had done.

I mean, I get that it's a game and all but when the whole point of the game is total information awareness, we're supposed to simply allow that the breach of a federal facility and the murder of 10 government employees is going to go unnoticed outside of the little red circle on your minimap?

• Locked thread