Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't think there are any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Torpor posted:

Seriously, did the sailors even notice?

I wouldn't be surprised if it started a fire, the steel on a ship like that isn't thick enough to stop the molten copper stream from cutting through.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Aurubin posted:

Isn't the F22 a piece of poo poo? I remember hearing they were phasing it out due to all kinds of technical problems. Good thing they're replacing it with the F35! *cough*

You're probably thinking of the V-22 Osprey, which is a tilt-rotor aircraft that was involved in a few high-profile incidents. It's not quite that bad, but it's basically the unholy child of a fixed-wing and a rotary-wing aircraft, and has quite a few of the downsides to both plus some extras thrown in.

The F-35 is an alright aircraft that suffered from design-by-committee. Congress got a burr up their rear end that it'd be great if all the services used the same aircraft, or at least the same airframe. The problem is that the requirements are all totally divergent. The AF wants a multirole fighter, basically a F-16 Mark II, light and agile. The Army and Marines want something they can fly off their baby carriers, so it has to have a VTOL ducting system too. Also the Navy refuses to procure single-engine aircraft for safety reasons, so it needs to have a dual-engine system. And that's just the conflict over the airframe.

The F-22 has some real problems, but it's nowhere near the steaming deuce that the other programs are because it's a plane designed around a specific, realistic mission. Its "high-durability" stealth coating abrades away if the plane flies in rain, and becomes much less effective if the aircraft maneuvers (as most stealth does), or fires a weapon. The navigation system reset itself the first time it crossed the international date line, leaving the pilots to try and follow their tanker in for a leading. Also the oxygen system silently cut out on a pilot in Alaska and he blacked out and flew into a mountain.

Come to think of it, that last one is ringing a bell with the fact that Lockheed got their mainframe hacked by China a while back (suspicions were that they used the authenticator keys they got from RSA). Given all the NSA exploit stuff that's come out recently, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few places you could hit the C3 systems with a virus. Being able to suffocate enemy pilots in their cockpits is pretty desirable.

:tinfoil:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 5, 2013

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Aurubin posted:

Isn't the F22 a piece of poo poo? I remember hearing they were phasing it out due to all kinds of technical problems. Good thing they're replacing it with the F35! *cough*

No, its not. It's easily far superior to the F-35. Production ended due to costs, but the F-35 is quickly ballooning in cost to match the F-22 for far less capability. The F-22 had some teething issues which were grossly exaggerated (and quickly fixed) but the F-35 can't even begin to deliver on its promises.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

McDowell posted:

Are we really worried about Assad shooting something down? Haven't the Israelis accomplished several strikes with no casualties?(except their line is 'no comment' :ninja:) The only real incident we had was the Turkish Fighter Jet - where the pilots thought they were in friendly space.

The slow arrival of Russian Naval Forces is more important than the Regime's existing air defenses (especially since they have had plenty of lead time to relocate stuff - and I guess try and fake out the satellites watching them)

I doubt there's even going to be manned fighters flying over Syria. A sure way to escalate is if a pilot is shot down and captured. And we really do not want to escalate.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vladimir Putin posted:

I doubt there's even going to be manned fighters flying over Syria. A sure way to escalate is if a pilot is shot down and captured. And we really do not want to escalate.

Yeah - which is why the US will be using cruise missiles - but it does raise the question of what Israel has been using.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Paul MaudDib posted:

The Army and Marines want something they can fly off their baby carriers, so it has to have a VTOL ducting system too. Also the Navy refuses to procure single-engine aircraft for safety reasons, so it needs to have a dual-engine system. And that's just the conflict over the airframe.

Has anyone seen youtube videpos of the F-35 VTOL system? That thing looks like the most complex and fragile thing ever engineered. I can't believe a F-35 could land back on a carrier or wherever in VTOL mode if it took any amount of damage to its airframe.

McDowell posted:

Yeah - which is why the US will be using cruise missiles - but it does raise the question of what Israel has been using.

If it was the Israelis my guess is F16.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I guess nobody got that the small emotive cough was indicative of the fact that I knew the JSF was terrible. Anyway, a friend on the Hill thinks this is going to die in the House. Anybody wanna bet Obama will go through with it anyway?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Is there any merit to stories of civilians hanging out near military buildings as a sign of protest in Syria?

Aurubin posted:

I guess nobody got that the small emotive cough was indicative of the fact that I knew the JSF was terrible. Anyway, a friend on the Hill thinks this is going to die in the House. Anybody wanna bet Obama will go through with it anyway?

No way, that would be the perfect excuse to not have to intervene and take no blame for it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

McDowell posted:

Violation of Lebanese airspace mostly.

edit: immediately after those strikes, Lebanon was bitching that Israeli planes violated their airspace in the vicinity of the Syrian targets hit, which were very close to the Lebanese border. It's not like Israel would just fly straight down a missile engagement zone in Syria when it can just tell Lebanon to shut up while flying over Lebanon and bombing Syria without even entering Syrian airspace. They try not to throw pilots straight to their deaths when possible.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 6, 2013

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Aurubin posted:

If the house votes no, Obama will jump for joy and then not do anything. Then he gets to blame the House for it. loving victory for Obama.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The lines outside today's bipartisan House briefing on Syria.

I'm not as confident that this will pass as I was 24 hours ago. The whip count seems to be getting much worse in the House.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Paul MaudDib posted:

The Army and Marines want something they can fly off their baby carriers, so it has to have a VTOL ducting system too.

The Army, huh? Didn't know the Army flew F-35s or had baby carriers...

quote:

Also the Navy refuses to procure single-engine aircraft for safety reasons, so it needs to have a dual-engine system.

The Naval variant, the F-35C, is a single engine aircraft.

quote:

The F-22 has some real problems, but it's nowhere near the steaming deuce that the other programs are because it's a plane designed around a specific, realistic mission. Its "high-durability" stealth coating abrades away if the plane flies in rain, and becomes much less effective if the aircraft maneuvers (as most stealth does), or fires a weapon. The navigation system reset itself the first time it crossed the international date line, leaving the pilots to try and follow their tanker in for a leading. Also the oxygen system silently cut out on a pilot in Alaska and he blacked out and flew into a mountain.

Most of this is outdated or exaggerated, and the F-22 has some very slick stealthy weapon firing capability. Also, according to the USAF report, the pilot mostly lost situational awareness because he was distracted by the fact that he couldn't breathe :v: So yeah, the oxygen system fuckups were pretty horrendous.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Heh, you think people are bitching about the F-35's costs now, wait till the USAF starts working on it's next-generation B2/B1 replacement. :v:

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

mitztronic posted:

This isn't true at all. The F-22 does excel in air superiority but it is a multirole fighter (replacing the F117 for precision bombing, i.e. see the GBU-39/53) and it can engage in reconnaissance, which by no means is a full list of it's potential.

That said, I havent heard of it being used in a combat role yet.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the F-22 has no way of looking at the ground. It can not carry targeting pods on its external hard points. For some reason it also cannot carry AGM-88 anti-radiation missiles. Also, as far as I know, it cannot carry standoff munitions internally. I suspect for these reasons we will not see the F-22 used in any sort of ground attack or SEAD role over Syria.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/05/world/middleeast/brutality-of-syrian-rebels-pose-dilemma-in-west.html?_r=0

Fantastic NYT article, but the video being from April 2012 detracts from it slightly.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dilkington posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but the F-22 has no way of looking at the ground. It can not carry targeting pods on its external hard points. For some reason it also cannot carry AGM-88 anti-radiation missiles. Also, as far as I know, it cannot carry standoff munitions internally. I suspect for these reasons we will not see the F-22 used in any sort of ground attack or SEAD role over Syria.

The F-22 can carry small diameter bombs which are not great for leveling buildings or smashing troop formations, but excellent for destroying small point targets like a radar, parked plane, missile system, etc. AGM-88s and many standoff weapons are very big, which is a problem for an internal bay.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Turned on the TV just in time to see a video of the rebels executing Army prisoners. Can't wait to be on the "same" side as them.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Just The Facts posted:

Turned on the TV just in time to see a video of the rebels executing Army prisoners. Can't wait to be on the "same" side as them.

What do you think happens to rebels taken prisoner? It's a kill or be killed conflict.

Not to mention they don't have any adequate facilities to keep POWS in, and any such facilities would be priority targets for the regime.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Just The Facts posted:

Too late, we're already providing aid.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Old video, as in more than a year old.

Vernii posted:

What do you think happens to rebels taken prisoner? It's a kill or be killed conflict.

Not to mention they don't have any adequate facilities to keep POWS in, and any such facilities would be priority targets for the regime.

Depends,

http://beta.syriadeeply.org/2013/09/war-economy-my-life-500/

quote:

Hassan, a 25-year-old prisoner of the Free Syrian Army (FSA), looks depressed as he trades cigarettes with the 15 other men in his detention room in a makeshift jail in Aleppo province.

He says he was headed to Aleppo central prison to deliver his cousin’s release papers and that, unbeknownst to him, his minibus was being used to smuggle tank shells to regime forces inside the jail.

FSA investigators did not believe his story, thought he was a smuggler, and threw him into this converted prison in the basement of a villa, where prisoners would be protected from shelling.

“My cousin said he would pay me 100,000 Syrian pounds ($500) if I would go to the prison to hand in his brother’s release papers,” he says. “Despite the danger, he knew I would agree to do it because of my dire financial situation. I can’t provide for my wife and son because I’m unemployed, and my in-laws refuse to let them come stay at their home. I’m also in debt. I owe more than 50,000 ($250) Syrian pounds to people who are constantly asking for their money and badgering me. I went to Turkey for a month and a half looking for work – any work – but to no avail.”

Hassan’s situation was grim, but his cousin’s proposal was dangerous. Clashes have raged around Aleppo central prison for months, as the rebels surrounding it wage attack after attack on the government troops inside.

“Eventually I agreed,” Hassan says. “There was no other logical decision. Anyone in my situation would have grabbed this opportunity. I asked [my cousin] why he didn’t go himself, and save the money. He said he was scared of going to a front line like the central prison, because one can easily get killed.

“I said I have nothing to lose but my life at this point. And even if that happens, it isn’t so bad. But if I make it, then I would have 100,000 Syrian pounds, an unimaginable sum of money given the circumstances.”

Residents in Aleppo, once Syria’s industrial hub, were already facing rising unemployment as the war dragged on. But the economy ground to a full stop when the FSA entered the city in July 2012. People here jump at any opportunity to make money, no matter how dangerous the prospect.

Hassan takes a drag from his cigarette and lets out a cloud of smoke. The white cloud rises, then dissipates in the dreary room. He has been here for four days, but his captors are still not convinced of his innocence.

“My cousin gave me the vehicle the night before I went to bring the release papers,” he recalls. “After he left, I figured I should call on one of my closest friends in the village who had connections in the FSA to help me get across. I drove that night to stay with my friend. He contacted some of the rebels and they promised to let me through at the checkpoints surrounding the prison. The next morning, we exchanged goodbyes and I headed over there. It was mix of a euphoric sense of adventure and paralyzing fear. I felt like I was on the hunt for Treasure Island,” he says.

At the time, he says, all he thought about was returning home to his family with the money. “That would have been a great achievement. But even that wasn’t enough to help me shake off my fear of death. Imagine being in between two warring parties, each of which will think you’re their enemy.”

He had driven the minibus just a short distance before a mortar shell hit it. It led to a chain of explosions that drew the attention of the FSA. Three of 10 tank shells hidden at the rear of the bus had exploded.

Hassan insists he had no knowledge that there were tank shells on board, maintaining that his cousin tricked him. But FSA investigators believe he was serving as a smuggler to provide regime forces, who are under siege in the prison, with ammunition to fight off the rebels’ advances.

This is actually a fascinating story for other reasons.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only caveat is that allegedly, the soldiers captured were accused of rape, court martialed, and executed. So, uh, it depends on your view of on-the-battlefield court martials (and your faith that it actually happened), but I'm not sure that it necessarily was a war crime...

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

mlmp08 posted:

The F-22 can carry small diameter bombs which are not great for leveling buildings or smashing troop formations, but excellent for destroying small point targets like a radar, parked plane, missile system, etc. AGM-88s and many standoff weapons are very big, which is a problem for an internal bay.

Thank you for pointing this out. I didn't know these weird looking things existed. Apparently the F-22 can carry up to eight internally:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Paul MaudDib posted:

The international date line incident wasn't just the navigation system.

quote:

Maj. Gen. Don Sheppard (ret.): “…At the international date line, whoops, all systems dumped and when I say all systems, I mean all systems, their navigation, part of their communications, their fuel systems. They were — they could have been in real trouble. They were with their tankers. The tankers – they tried to reset their systems, couldn’t get them reset. The tankers brought them back to Hawaii. This could have been real serious. It certainly could have been real serious if the weather had been bad.

Also, the Alaska incident was not an isolated case.

Basically, the F-22 and the F-35 are different flavors of poo poo cake. The F-35 was designed to be everything for everyone and has unsurprisingly turned into an expensive piece of useless junk; the F-22 is a machine designed to kill its pilots. Choose your favorite!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
At least the F-22 is legitimately fantastic in air to air combat.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

mlmp08 posted:

At least the F-22 is legitimately fantastic in air to air combat.

It's a drat good thing, too, because I can't imagine what we'd do without new air-superiority fighters in an era where the most advanced piece of equipment we've had to fight in the last decade is a Toyota with a cannon bolted onto the back.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

OBAMA CURES ALAWIS posted:

Morality aside, is it actually "illegal" in the sense of international law for Syria to use chemical weapons if they haven't signed on to the Chemical Warfare Convention? In addition, is there anything written anywhere that prohibits a nation from targeting its own civilians? In case of uprising, is a government, democratic or not, supposed to do nothing as its legitimacy is challenged?

International law is a very vague and subjective thing, which is why there aren't any international lawyers - no amount of appealing to legalism will overturn the central principle of "whatever the major countries say is law". One of the odder things that crop up in international law is that if enough powerful countries have signed onto a treaty, they may unofficially decide that the conditions of the treaty have become an international norm and therefore apply to all countries whether they've signed the treaty or not. It's not really a law so much as "the Convention on the Law of the Sea has become standard among the Great Powers and their vassals, and they like it so much that they're holding everyone else to those conditions too". It's usually applied to the Geneva Conventions and prohibitions on NBC weapons too.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

International law is a very vague and subjective thing, which is why there aren't any international lawyers - no amount of appealing to legalism will overturn the central principle of "whatever the major countries say is law". One of the odder things that crop up in international law is that if enough powerful countries have signed onto a treaty, they may unofficially decide that the conditions of the treaty have become an international norm and therefore apply to all countries whether they've signed the treaty or not. It's not really a law so much as "the Convention on the Law of the Sea has become standard among the Great Powers and their vassals, and they like it so much that they're holding everyone else to those conditions too". It's usually applied to the Geneva Conventions and prohibitions on NBC weapons too.

Yeah, international law is not "law" in the sense people think of it. There is no real book of international laws, there's no real way for things to become international laws. It is not really a coherent question if something is or is not international law, there is no really genuine source of authority to determine the question. At the end of the day international law is nothing more than what people say it is, and whoever is strongest generally wins. The most famous case of "international law" - the Neuremburg Trials - just made it up as they went along and it was law because the victors of WWII said it was.

People tend to ascribe more legitimacy to international law than it really deserves because they view it as a way to check the Great Powers of the age. It never is. It's usually those Great Powers proscribing rules for lesser powers, and the only force they have on the powerful nations is a vague sense of embarrassment when they're too openly hypocritical.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 6, 2013

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

quote:

Two new national polls indicate the same thing: More Americans oppose rather than favor U.S. military strikes against Syria.

According to an ABC News/Washington Post survey released Tuesday, 36% of the public supports launching missile strikes against the forces of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad if the U.S. has determined that Damascus has used chemical weapons against its own citizens, with nearly six in ten opposing such a move.

The poll indicates that support rises ten points, to 46%, and opposition drops eight points, to 51% if allies such as Great Britain and France participated in missile attacks against Syria.

That changed quickly

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/09/03/polls-should-u-s-launch-strikes-against-syria/

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is international law, there are international law books, there are international lawyers, there are international law courts, there are international law judges.

If that doesn't float your boat, treaties ratified by the Senate are the law of the land in the US, so at least international law exists in that sense.

To say law doesn't exist unless it can be enforced by an army is horribly reductionist and cynical.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 6, 2013

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

euphronius posted:

There is international law, there are international law books, there are international lawyers, there are international law courts, there are international law judges.

If that doesn't float your boat, treaties ratified by the Senate are the law of the land in the US, so at least international law exists in that sense.

To say law doesn't exist unless it can be enforced by an army is horribly reductionist and cynical.

This doesn't address anything that was said about international law at all.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Alright, this is from yesterday and buried in a section of the Washington Post that I didn't know even existed, but I'm glad somebody called the USG out on the hypocrisy of the chemical weapons stance:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...f19ab_blog.html

quote:

History lesson: When the United States looked the other way on chemical weapons

People say, ‘Well, he killed 100,000 people. What’s the difference with this 1,400?’ With this 1,400, he crossed a line with using chemical weapons. President Obama did not draw the red line. Humanity drew it decades ago, 170-some countries supporting the convention on not using chemicals -- chemical warfare.”

-- House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), Sept. 3, 2013

One of the administration’s main arguments for attacking Syria is because the government crossed an important line by using chemical weapons against its own people.

Rep. Nancy Pelosi, a strong supporter of military strikes, echoed that argument on Tuesday. She noted that as far back as 1925, nearly 40 nations had joined together to ban the first use of chemical weapons when the Geneva Protocol was signed. (Her mention of 170 countries appears to refer to the 1993 Chemical Weapons Convention, which seeks to prohibit the production of chemical weapons and mandates their destruction; Syria has refused to sign the treaty, though 189 other countries have signed it.)

Such treaties generally do not have mechanisms for enforcement. As far as we know, no nation has ever attacked another to punish it for the use of chemical weapons, so Obama’s request is unprecedented.

Indeed, Syria’s chemical weapons stockpile results from a never-acknowledged gentleman’s agreement in the Middle East that as long as Israel had nuclear weapons, Syria’s pursuit of chemical weapons would not attract much public acknowledgement or criticism. (The Fact Checker, when serving as The Washington Post’s diplomatic correspondent, learned of this secret arrangement from Middle Eastern and Western diplomats, but it was never officially confirmed.) These are the sorts of trade-offs that happen often in diplomacy. After all, Israel’s nuclear stockpile has never been officially acknowledged, and Syria in the 1980s and 1990s was often supportive of U.S. interests in the region, even nearly reaching a peace deal with Israel.

But there is an even more striking instance of the United States ignoring use of the chemical weapons that killed tens of thousands of people -- during the grinding Iraq-Iran war in the 1980s. As documented in 2002 by Washington Post reporter Michael Dobbs, the Reagan administration knew full well it was selling materials to Iraq that was being used for the manufacture of chemical weapons, and that Iraq was using such weapons, but U.S. officials were more concerned about whether Iran would win rather than how Iraq might eke out a victory. Dobbs noted that Iraq’s chemical weapons’ use was “hardly a secret, with the Iraqi military issuing this warning in February 1984: ”The invaders should know that for every harmful insect, there is an insecticide capable of annihilating it . . . and Iraq possesses this annihilation insecticide.”

As Dobbs wrote:

A review of thousands of declassified government documents and interviews with former policymakers shows that U.S. intelligence and logistical support played a crucial role in shoring up Iraqi defenses against the “human wave” attacks by suicidal Iranian troops. The administrations of Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush authorized the sale to Iraq of numerous items that had both military and civilian applications, including poisonous chemicals and deadly biological viruses, such as anthrax and bubonic plague .

To prevent an Iraqi collapse, the Reagan administration supplied battlefield intelligence on Iranian troop buildups to the Iraqis, sometimes through third parties such as Saudi Arabia. The U.S. tilt toward Iraq was enshrined in National Security Decision Directive 114 of Nov. 26, 1983, one of the few important Reagan era foreign policy decisions that still remains classified. According to former U.S. officials, the directive stated that the United States would do “whatever was necessary and legal” to prevent Iraq from losing the war with Iran.

The presidential directive was issued amid a flurry of reports that Iraqi forces were using chemical weapons in their attempts to hold back the Iranians. In principle, Washington was strongly opposed to chemical warfare, a practice outlawed by the 1925 Geneva Protocol. In practice, U.S. condemnation of Iraqi use of chemical weapons ranked relatively low on the scale of administration priorities, particularly compared with the all-important goal of preventing an Iranian victory.

Thus, on Nov. 1, 1983, a senior State Department official, Jonathan T. Howe, told Secretary of State George P. Shultz that intelligence reports showed that Iraqi troops were resorting to “almost daily use of CW” against the Iranians. But the Reagan administration had already committed itself to a large-scale diplomatic and political overture to Baghdad, culminating in several visits by the president’s recently appointed special envoy to the Middle East, Donald H. Rumsfeld.

In 1988, Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein ordered chemical weapons attacks against Kurdish resistance forces, but the relationship with Iraq at the time was deemed too important to rupture over the matter. The United States did not even impose sanctions.

Without much apparent irony, two decades later Rumsfeld and other members of the then George W. Bush administration repeatedly cited Hussein’s use of chemical weapons against own people as a justification for invading Iraq. (Pelosi spokesman Drew Hammill did not respond to questions about her views on how the Reagan administration handled the Iraqi situation.)

For interested readers, we have embedded below an English translation of the French intelligence report on the alleged chemical weapons attack last month because it includes a history of the Syrian chemical weapons program.

National Executive Summary of Declassified Intelligence posted by Glenn Kessler

(pdf file here)

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Therefore we should look the other way again, obviously.

I know you didn't say that, but I feel like that's the lesson being drawn here. The US didn't respond to chemical weapons usage in the past, so obviously it has no business doing so now.

edit: Do we get a citation for this

quote:

Indeed, Syria’s chemical weapons stockpile results from a never-acknowledged gentleman’s agreement in the Middle East that as long as Israel had nuclear weapons, Syria’s pursuit of chemical weapons would not attract much public acknowledgement or criticism.

The West's historical relationship with Syria is complicated, but I suspect this isn't entirely accurate, at least tying it to Israel.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 6, 2013

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

evilweasel posted:

This doesn't address anything that was said about international law at all.

It was a combined response to you and Mainpainframe. Also international law is generally created through treaties and custom, to address another point you made. Treaties are an unquestionable source of international law. I really don't understand your point of view at all really, how could you say there is no way to determine if something is international law. The UN keeps a depository and index of treaties for this very purpose. Of course on the edges it can be hard sometimes to determine, but treaties for one thing are explicit international law. Admittedly custom gets murkier, but it can be readily determined and often is.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 6, 2013

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Xandu posted:

Therefore we should look the other way again, obviously.

I know you didn't say that, but I feel like that's the lesson being drawn here. The US didn't respond to chemical weapons usage in the past, so obviously it has no business doing so now.

That's not my stance in any fashion. I just wish Kerry or someone would bring up Iran-Iraq and just say something like "It was wrong then and it would be wrong now," but that would imply an actual mistake was made.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone in the Beltway knows Reagan didn't make any mistakes.

Xandu posted:

The West's historical relationship with Syria is complicated, but I suspect this isn't entirely accurate, at least tying it to Israel.

There's alot of opacity in the region - which is part of the problem. A quieter time would have been better to get Israel/Iran/etc to the table on nuclear technology. But any time would be nice.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324577304579057262691515176.html posted:

Mr. Assad's arsenal of advanced Russian-made weapons systems, including a recent shipment of upgraded Yakhont antiship missiles, has made Pentagon planning for the strikes more difficult, U.S. officials say. As a precaution, the U.S. Navy is keeping its destroyers far from the Syrian and Lebanese coast lines and out of range, the officials say. Lebanon is home to Syria's close ally, Hezbollah, which also has sophisticated antiship rockets.

As of Thursday, Russia had two warships, two support vessels and three amphibious troop and equipment movers off the Syrian coast, which U.S. officials say they believe are tracking American military movements in the area to share with the Syrian regime. U.S. officials say they believe Russian satellites and radar sites are also feeding information to the Syrian regime.

Mr. Putin said earlier this week that Russia would complete delivery of advanced S-300 air-defense systems to Syria if the U.S. strikes, which could shift the regional military balance.

Gotta side with Russia on this one though

quote:

The Central Intelligence Agency's classified personality profile of Mr. Putin, prepared by the agency for Mr. Obama and other policy makers, says he was bullied in his youth. It also describes Mr. Putin as insecure, according to American officials who have read it.

Russian officials dismiss such suggestions as cheap psychology.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Xandu posted:

Gotta side with Russia on this one though

"Please, I'm not insecure at all. I just feel most comfortable going about my activities, such as hunting, fishing and judo fighting, shirtless and with a posse of photographers."

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

quote:

President Obama has directed the Pentagon to develop an expanded list of potential targets in Syria in response to intelligence suggesting that the government of President Bashar al-Assad has been moving troops and equipment used to employ chemical weapons while Congress debates whether to authorize military action.

Mr. Obama, officials said, is now determined to put more emphasis on the “degrade” part of what the administration has said is the goal of a military strike against Syria — to “deter and degrade” Mr. Assad’s ability to use chemical weapons. That means expanding beyond the 50 or so major sites that were part of the original target list developed with French forces before Mr. Obama delayed action on Saturday to seek Congressional approval of his plan.

For the first time, the administration is talking about using American and French aircraft to conduct strikes on specific targets, in addition to ship-launched Tomahawk cruise missiles. There is a renewed push to get other NATO forces involved.

The strikes would be aimed not at the chemical stockpiles themselves — risking a potential catastrophe — but rather the military units that have stored and prepared the chemical weapons and carried the attacks against Syrian rebels, as well as the headquarters overseeing the effort, and the rockets and artillery that have launched the attacks, military officials said Thursday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/06/w...tw-nytimesworld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Mission creep already

• Locked thread