Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

onepixeljumpman posted:

I have to give it to Mori for making Kyosuke look scary intense when he inner monologues about what he's doing and is going to do to Itagaki. There's something I really like about his cold stare and bloodied mouth while he goes "Weeaaaak," to say nothing of his reflection in Itagaki's eye. I think it might be because he's gotten in good, but he's looks like he's also enjoying how thoroughly he's breaking him. His giant rear end eyebrows help.

I wish that Ippo was more like Imai. He definitely needs to become a lot more aggressive, and I hope that the big change that it seems like the story is pointing towards (what with all the "Ippo has become weak" stuff) involves something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Ytlaya posted:

I wish that Ippo was more like Imai. He definitely needs to become a lot more aggressive, and I hope that the big change that it seems like the story is pointing towards (what with all the "Ippo has become weak" stuff) involves something like that.

What was that fight where Takumura told Ippo that being such a sissy champion by "always acting like the challenger" wasn't showing enough respect to the belt or something like that, so Ippo did his title defense with a lot of confidence and no awkwardness. It's been a while, but I remember that being an interesting turn for his approach to opponents that never panned out.

4533josh
Jan 14, 2012

onepixeljumpman posted:

What was that fight where Takumura told Ippo that being such a sissy champion by "always acting like the challenger" wasn't showing enough respect to the belt or something like that, so Ippo did his title defense with a lot of confidence and no awkwardness. It's been a while, but I remember that being an interesting turn for his approach to opponents that never panned out.

I think it may have been Ippo's opening fight for the Takamura/Hawk WBC Junior Middleweight fight. I remember Ippo ending it very quickly and aggressively with the Dempsey roll and getting criticised by Kamogawa for it. :v:

4533josh fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 31, 2013

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

4533josh posted:

I think it may have been Ippo's opening fight for the Takamura/Hawk WBC Junior Middleweight fight. I remember Ippo ending it very quickly and aggressively with the Dempsey roll and getting criticised by Kamogawa for it. :v:

Kamogawa is truly the weak link and Ippo has succeeded in spite of him, not because of him. Ippo needs to get himself a new coach.

4533josh
Jan 14, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Kamogawa is truly the weak link and Ippo has succeeded in spite of him, not because of him. Ippo needs to get himself a new coach.

Could you elaborate? I think that Kamogawa is Ippo's source of inspiration, and the only reason he's continued his boxing career up to this point. There have been several times where Kamogawa's been the only one who's been able to keep him motivated, as well as strengthening him in the proper manner so that he can continue to develop himself and his boxing career. Sure he gets things wrong sometimes, but admits his failings and stops Ippo from hurting himself without need. Just about every other coach I can remember in the series fails in some regard as well.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

So I've been re-reading the early stuff and I'm at the Kimura-Mashiba fight (my personal favorite) and I've realized something this series needs to do. It needs more Mashiba. Or a spin-off series that is just Mashiba freaking Ippo out.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Been re-reading some Ippo, and I think I know where the series started to go downhill for me. It was pretty much after all the build up to the Miyata fight that never came to fruition because of Randy. That Randy fight was a slog too. All that build up about Ippo moving on and relinquishing the built came to nothing.

Not sure if I really need to spoiler that, but just in case.

E: Also, I really miss Umezawa. His arc was so, so good. Might be my favorite character.

Sonata Mused fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 5, 2013

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
http://www.mangareader.net/hajime-no-ippo/1027

Attack on Itagaki!

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Including a link to the group who did the translations site, since I'm sure any ad revenue from us reading their work should probably go to them and not mangareader.net: http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1027/2042/1

Regarding the chapter:This is awesome everything is awesome.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Man, Imai is a better Ippo than Ippo's been in years.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I really hope this doesn't have one of those "Even though you lost, the audience still thinks you're awesome!" endings. Itagaki deserves every bit of this.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I actually like Itagaki, but this needs to happen. Itagaki to me is a Miyata who isn't boring as all hell. The dark and mysterious cliche is so old and played out, I sincerely hope Miyata just spontaneously combusts later on. Even so, this current fight is pretty good even as an Itagaki fan. You gotta learn the tough lessons.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

I actually like Itagaki, but this needs to happen. Itagaki to me is a Miyata who isn't boring as all hell. The dark and mysterious cliche is so old and played out, I sincerely hope Miyata just spontaneously combusts later on.

Miyata's career collapses and he starts abusing women and being an all-around terrible person. His feud with Ippo concludes with him trying to drunkenly start a fight with Ippo on the street and Ippo looking disappointed and walking away.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah I don't mind Itagaki that much, he's not really worse than Miyata. And really I'd like this a lot better if it made sense, but instead it feels super asspulled, to me at least. "You throw three left hooks every time you escape!" has this ever been shown in any of his fights? Idunno. It's just dumb Ippo style stand-there-and-get-hit punchmagic against dumb Itagaki teleporting and I'm praying to god that Ippo's fight doesn't turn into Japanese samurai magic against Mexican sombrero machismo.

Where are those other two guys anyways? Feels like forever since we've seen them. :(

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Itagaki is supposed to be the Ippo generation's naturally talented prodigy to Miyata's "Turn a weakness into a weapon" cliche and Ippo basically being a man who has NO killer/fighting instinct that gets by because he's built like a brick shithouse.

I don't really have anything against him, it's just his character is kinda written obnoxiously. He's nice to have in the regular cast of boxers that's actually self-confident. I mean; the only boxers in the main lineup that don't lapse into really annoying brooding are Sendo, Takamura, and Itagaki.

He's loving annoying but at least we haven't had 3-dozen cheesy loving spreads of him pensively staring off into nowhere as the wind blows his coat around.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Oh you better believe that's what we're about to get

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Simoom posted:

Yeah I don't mind Itagaki that much, he's not really worse than Miyata. And really I'd like this a lot better if it made sense, but instead it feels super asspulled, to me at least. "You throw three left hooks every time you escape!" has this ever been shown in any of his fights?

I think they actually did set that up at some point. In fact I seem to remember that at that point, they also talked about it as being Itagaki's standard procedure, and I wondered if it had been shown prior.

I can't find it now, but I'm thinking it might have been the first time he sparred with Ippo. Does anyone happen to have a general idea of when this might have been chapterwise? I know for sure that on that occasion, Ippo just effortlessly tricked him into the corner and pulverized him with his superior anti-outboxer experience. I think Itagaki tried that hook trick and Ippo automatically countered the hell out of it, but not sure.

Of course Imai wouldn't know anything about this spar but he had that long experience with Itagaki in the amateur ring, so it makes sense he would know some stuff that we haven't seen.

quote:

I'm praying to god that Ippo's fight doesn't turn into Japanese samurai magic against Mexican sombrero machismo.

Just come out and say you're praying for this series to get cancelled, because that is the only way you're getting your wish.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Simoom posted:

Yeah I don't mind Itagaki that much, he's not really worse than Miyata. And really I'd like this a lot better if it made sense, but instead it feels super asspulled, to me at least. "You throw three left hooks every time you escape!" has this ever been shown in any of his fights? Idunno. It's just dumb Ippo style stand-there-and-get-hit punchmagic against dumb Itagaki teleporting and I'm praying to god that Ippo's fight doesn't turn into Japanese samurai magic against Mexican sombrero machismo.

Where are those other two guys anyways? Feels like forever since we've seen them. :(

Ippo's fight is actually going to turn into Shining Gundam vs Tequila Gundam as the series segues into Mobile Fighter G Gundam.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Ippo's fight is actually going to turn into Shining Gundam vs Tequila Gundam as the series segues into Mobile Fighter G Gundam.

Ippo gaining some of Domon's audacity, even to the point of being kind of a prick, I'd be into it.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

I would pay good money to see this happen. Probably all of my money.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Seriously unsure whether tequila gundam was actually a thing or not...

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Seriously unsure whether tequila gundam was actually a thing or not...

:q:

-

On topic though, this fights been pretty enjoyable just because it feels like it's moving along at a reasonable pace. The introduction bit had me kinda worried but yeah should be onto Ippo's bout in another chapter or two I hope!

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

:q:

-

On topic though, this fights been pretty enjoyable just because it feels like it's moving along at a reasonable pace. The introduction bit had me kinda worried but yeah should be onto Ippo's bout in another chapter or two I hope!

Looking back, G Gundam was pure loving insanity.

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010
It was the coolest thing ever when I was twelve.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

international owl day posted:

Looking back, G Gundam was pure loving insanity.

Launching robots into space by having them hug rockets.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Chaos341 posted:

It was the coolest thing ever when I was twelve.

And continues to be to this day :colbert: "What power should the Russian guy have? How about the ability to punch mountains into existence?"

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

MadRhetoric posted:

Launching robots into space by having them ride horses piloting horse robots.

G Gundam is the best.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
1028 amd 29 raws are out. Itagaki is TKO in the first round. He then cries about it.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

SchrodingersCat posted:

1028 amd 29 raws are out. Itagaki is TKO in the first round. He then cries about it.

It is a good day.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SchrodingersCat posted:

I wonder if this has any implications for Ippo's fight (that is, is it more or less likely that he'll win given that they've already had his gym-mate lose).

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder if this has any implications for Ippo's fight (that is, is it more or less likely that he'll win given that they've already had his gym-mate lose).

Maybe it'll occur to Ippo that backing dudes into a corner and wailing on them is a superior strategy to curling into a ball in the center of the ring and getting punched until the opponent tires out.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
http://www.mangareader.net/hajime-no-ippo/1028

No words...they should have sent a poet

4533josh
Jan 14, 2012
1028 is up http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1028/2055/1
Sweet sweet Itagaki murder.

Estel
May 4, 2010
This is the image we were waiting for

:smuggo: :sotw: :frogout:

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Personally, I like the next page a lot too!

Opter
Jul 8, 2010
I'm sure I know M Bison's reaction... But seriously, that made the wait worth it, especially Imai's face after he knocks him the gently caress out

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Opter posted:

I'm sure I know M Bison's reaction... But seriously, that made the wait worth it, especially Imai's face after he knocks him the gently caress out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Anyway new favorite chapter of the manga!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hortism posted:

Personally, I like the next page a lot too!

I agree, it's easily one of the best guy getting the absolute poo poo knocked out of him pages in the whole series.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Wow what a chapter.

Probably my favorite was not only the punch but him realizing his punch was going really slow and he was too late to realize it. That's what you get you smug rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think it's kinda funny that the only people at the Kamogawa gym that can seem to win titles are the people who are trained exclusively by Kamogawa himself.

Sorry Itagaki/Aoki/Kimura, looks like you're pretty much screwed.