Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yes, while Bec Noir was all about the wanton destruction Slick seemed to actually want to raise something up and rule/own it.

quote:

You made this town what it is after all. Wasn't nothin' but a bunch of dust and rocks before you got here.
So a combination of calling dibs on English and wanting to be the big bad boss of someplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Bobulus posted:

For people not on tumblr, the WhatPumpkin store updated. Seems like they're gearing up for some new kinds of merchandise.

http://whatpumpkin.tumblr.com/post/60446137447/the-new-whatpumpkin

So far: new tshirts, backpacks with B1 kid symbols, and those jester keychain fobs on Caliborn's keys.
For a moment I wondered "why do they have a red backpack for Dave but the rest aren't color coded to their text color" but then I realized they're betting Dave's will sell the most so of course they'd spring for a colored one with him. They're right too, it's already listed as sold out on the site. A shame, I'd consider buying a green Jade backpack too.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

To drudge up the mind control immunity/perfect clone versus genetic slurry bit, keep in mind that Vriska couldn't mind control Aradia, but Arenea just controlled three Damaras.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Maybe it's because they're on drugs and/or already influenced by someone else.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

lotus circle posted:

For a moment I wondered "why do they have a red backpack for Dave but the rest aren't color coded to their text color" but then I realized they're betting Dave's will sell the most so of course they'd spring for a colored one with him. They're right too, it's already listed as sold out on the site. A shame, I'd consider buying a green Jade backpack too.

I figured it was because Dave's symbol is mostly black, so they wanted it to stand out more. Having the other backpacks be the same colour as the symbol would make them blend in.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Will Jake ever cease to be the worst kid?

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
And yet again, rather than growing as a character, poo poo just HAPPENS to the R-Kids to further their plot along.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
So, this part of Aranea's plan makes sense. And Jake freaking the gently caress out over this is pretty funny.

Also I really like the art in those last few panels. Curious to see how Aranea fixing Jake's brain is going to change his character (if at all).

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

King of Solomon posted:

So, this part of Aranea's plan makes sense. And Jake freaking the gently caress out over this is pretty funny.

Also I really like the art in those last few panels. Curious to see how Aranea fixing Jake's brain is going to change his character (if at all).

Maybe, just maybe, he'll stop being so oblivious and terrible.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

5 bucks says that this is actually a Thing That Goes Horribly Wrong.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

So... has Jake actually been brain damaged this whole time? Which of the many concussive events did him in?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Grrl Anachronism posted:

So... has Jake actually been brain damaged this whole time? Which of the many concussive events did him in?

Who says it has to be something we saw?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I never knew healing someone could seem so malicious.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Grrl Anachronism posted:

I think its more about him being emotionally damaged than brain damaged.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Site's down for me. Anyone know of a mirror?

quote:

Error 503 Service Unavailable

Service Unavailable
Guru Meditation:

XID: 689516535

Varnish cache server

EDIT: Okay weird, looks like I can access the new pages via cache: on google. And the images show up, so dunno.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 7, 2013

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read
Aradia's gr8 and all, 8ut I'm going to have to find an avatar of Aranea when she tells Jake there's no alternatives. Haven't seen a Serket that manic since Fresca was hoding Tavros' pants.

*hodoring
*holding

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 7, 2013

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

KaosMachina posted:

And yet again, rather than growing as a character, poo poo just HAPPENS to the R-Kids to further their plot along.

Yeah, I'm concerned that this will just magically "fix Jake". :ohdear: Hopefully we get to go into it in more detail?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tunicate posted:

Site's down for me. Anyone know of a mirror?

EDIT: Okay weird, looks like I can access the new pages via cache: on google. And the images show up, so dunno.

Aaand now the site seems to be down completely.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
What the gently caress is happening to mspa's server

I'm not going back to check but I think Aranea said "brain" somewhere when she was talking about fixing him, but anyway it sounded like she was talking about brain problems.

And really, fixing emotional problems would not require that much of a pyrotechnic display. Really, Jake has not had nearly as much trauma as any of the other characters in the entire comic let alone his circle of friends so I doubt that's whats going on.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ElMaligno posted:

I think its more about him being emotionally damaged than brain damaged.

She said physically and emotionally, so there might be some other brain problems going on than that.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Fucknag posted:

Aaand now the site seems to be down completely.

I am wondering if the level of meta would ever get high enough that a site outage would be used as a story point.

I can at least imagine working it in retroactively.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Iny posted:

Yeah, I'm concerned that this will just magically "fix Jake". :ohdear: Hopefully we get to go into it in more detail?

Maybe he'll become a Perfectly Generic Character.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read
It makes me wonder why she didn't heal Mituna, though odds are Kankri was wearing a Retard Nation T-Shirt and harangued her about shaming the brain-damaged.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Bell_ posted:

It makes me wonder why she didn't heal Mituna, though odds are Kankri was wearing a Retard Nation T-Shirt and harangued her about shaming the brain-damaged.
Knowing the way things were with that group, that was probably the very first thing she tried upon entering the afterlife and he probably couldn't be healed for some reason.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Really, Jake has not had nearly as much trauma as any of the other characters in the entire comic let alone his circle of friends so I doubt that's whats going on.
It isn't about his trauma, it's about his power. Aranea is pulling a Trickster 2.0: a quick fix to all the problems that are stopping the development of power because there's no time for the kids to go on a journey of self-discovery and figure out their poo poo. Jake's no good to anyone in his blathering emotionally wrecked state where he's too afraid to do anything.

But seeing how "great" Terezi turned out after Aranea healed her eyes, I think this is going to turn out horrendously. We are officially in the throes of Vriskatime (Araneatime? Serketime?) and it isn't stopping. :allears:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

King of Solomon posted:

I'm half expecting Jake English to somehow become Lord English (despite all the evidence suggesting LE is actually an instantiated Caliborn).

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

lotus circle posted:

It isn't about his trauma, it's about his power. Aranea is pulling a Trickster 2.0: a quick fix to all the problems that are stopping the development of power because there's no time for the kids to go on a journey of self-discovery and figure out their poo poo. Jake's no good to anyone in his blathering emotionally wrecked state where he's too afraid to do anything.

But seeing how "great" Terezi turned out after Aranea healed her eyes, I think this is going to turn out horrendously. We are officially in the throes of Vriskatime (Araneatime? Serketime?) and it isn't stopping. :allears:

I can't imagine forcibly making someone 'better' is going to stick. That doesn't sound like healing, it sounds like destruction.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Really, Jake has not had nearly as much trauma as any of the other characters in the entire comic let alone his circle of friends so I doubt that's whats going on.

I dunno, he's been through a lot in the past few hours, what with him now believing that everyone in his group hates him and only appreciates him for his body, and with being gut-punched, imprisoned, and verbally abused by Jane.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Aranea posted:

ARANEA: You see, in every hero of hope there dwells a gr8 hidden power, unrivaled 8y that of any other aspect.

The power of douchebaggery? Because someone already mastered that one.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Blackheart posted:

The power of Martin Luther King Jr. is one not to be exercised lightly.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

AriadneThread posted:

I can't imagine forcibly making someone 'better' is going to stick. That doesn't sound like healing, it sounds like destruction.

Just judging from the visuals in the last two panels of this update, there seems to be a considerable amount of overlap between those two concepts. Looking at those images devoid of context, I'd probably guess that Aranea was obliterating Jake outright. It's some pretty scary-lookin' healing, that's for sure.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Here's to hoping the newly "healed" Jake will show his chops by wishing Aranea into the loving cornfield. Or horse calender, whichever works.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I'm half expecting Jake English to somehow become Lord English (despite all the evidence suggesting LE is actually an instantiated Caliborn).

You mean a hypnotized Spades Slick.

Which leaves us with 3 different people that could become Lord English. But it doesn't matter.

He's already here.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blackheart posted:

Well, of course the "Destroyer of Hope" is going to be a massive douchebag.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
So if you strip the insufferable dumbshit out of Jake, what are you left with exactly?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Color Printer posted:

5 bucks says that this is actually a Thing That Goes Horribly Wrong.

I don't want to give you five bucks.

Also: site's back up, but really slow.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Seoinin posted:

So if you strip the insufferable dumbshit out of Jake, what are you left with exactly?

Ace Dick.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read
^^^^^^ that would be magnificent

I wonder whether this will be done in a blink of aneye or whether we will see a montage of whatever broke Jake. Except for maybe Rose, the subliminal code kids wrote out was triggered by trauma.

Vvvvvv deep, forgot. Maybe Jake's case will be when HIC killed Grandma Jade?

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 7, 2013

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Bell_ posted:

^^^^^^ that would be magnificent

I wonder whether this will be done in a blink of aneye or whether we will see a montage of whatever broke Jake. Except for maybe Rose, the subliminal code kids wrote out was triggered by trauma.
Even with Rose, the code had to do with Jasper's death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Watch as we just end up with Trickster Mode Jake again.

And this time it's permanent :unsmigghh: