Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why
It should work, I'm in New Zealand and had a friend in Boston buy it for me and give me the steam code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011
Does anyone else even play multiplayer actively? Need more multiplayer posts.

Usually (but not always!) rushing the great library is the best way to get a good lead into midgame.

Is there any faster way of getting it out on a "typical" start than this?

Tech: tech pottery -> writing -> mining -> bronze working if I want to rush iron working, otherwise whatever else is needed
build monument -> anything you can finish before writing (worker > scout > granary > *) -> great library
usually it's difficult to get anything out in time before writing. Depends on your production.
If you can't get a worker out in time, going Libery policy for the worker should get one out a bit before the great library finishes.
Worker should start cutting trees by the time mining is discovered, everything else is secondary priority.
Production focus is worth it if you save some precious turns.

There are some factions it's very difficult to compete against in the great library rush, such as Egypt and The Shoshone.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆

Soarer posted:

Do you just need the code? Will a US steam code work? Or the US key from Newegg?

I do just need the code, and a US one is fine as far as I know. I can either Paypal money to anyone kind enough to send me the Newegg code, or it looks like I can do Green Man Gaming. $22 is still miles better than $50!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

I do just need the code, and a US one is fine as far as I know. I can either Paypal money to anyone kind enough to send me the Newegg code, or it looks like I can do Green Man Gaming. $22 is still miles better than $50!

Excellent, I'm gonna take the opportunity to amphibiously invade England as Indonesia in personal protest of the Australian elections.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Greenmangaming is currently selling Civ V with ALL the DLC, for $27.20.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Me and Spain decide to kick a warmongering Portugal in the dick because they are invading lots of people. We totally bail out the Maya, who almost had their capital taken, and I end up with some puppets out of the deal. Portugal falls from angling for the #1 spot with me after losing ground and what do the Maya do? wait about 10 turns and then immediately declare war on Spain. I wish the AI wasn't so crazy sometimes. Declaring war on someone who saved your besieged capital 10 years later is just dumb.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆

Phobophilia posted:

Excellent, I'm gonna take the opportunity to amphibiously invade England as Indonesia in personal protest of the Australian elections.

Go in and puppet Sydney. We clearly can't be trusted to run ourselves.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So I joined a multiplayer game and at the end of every turn I kept horrible disconnecting with the host (100 s ping before a new turn). Does anyone know what might be causing this? I wasn't downloading anything and my firewall awsn't blocking it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Going outside my regular water-heavy map, go for builder rather warmonger routine, where war doesn't matter much until Industrial at least. Playing wide, war-focused Shoshone on Epic/Standard/Pangea.

I can now see why people play difficulties other than Prince. I'm halfway to a conquest victory before 500AD.

Somewhat related, is "Tolerate" the best stance another civ can have on warmongers? I always play with random personalities, and have never seen anything beyond that.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Shaka is ridiculous. I should have tried to slow him down when I had the chance because now he has 9 cities pumping out military units against my three city Aztec play. Ugh, the guy declared himself friends with two other civs on the continent too, so I can't get anyone to fight him with me.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Hey Haile. How you doing there buddy?

(We're actually best buddies, he DoF'ed me as soon as we met and he's sending me all his trade routes)

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
I try to go for a Diplomatic Victory for the first time and loving Genghis Khan spawned on my continent. He killed four city-states by the time the World Congress was founded. Alexander is on the other continent but I haven't been fighting with him over city states nearly as much as I have been with Siam.

mocridhe
Jan 19, 2012
I just finished my first Civ V game ever (took me a while, too :')) and darn, shouldn't have gone to war with Greece. That fucker took over 3/4 of the map. Oh well! Time for another game!

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

Go in and puppet Sydney. We clearly can't be trusted to run ourselves.

Well according to the polls this is more or less true.

Who knows, maybe the Liberals will finally get rid of all those filthy browns and the glorious Australian Empire will take its place on the throne of nations. :australia:

Note for American readers: in upside-down crazy world, "liberal" means "republican".

Cynic Jester posted:

(We're actually best buddies, he DoF'ed me as soon as we met and he's sending me all his trade routes)

Conquer his rear end. Do it now, before there's more witnesses.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 7, 2013

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Two questions: Does denouncing actually do anything other than make the person mad? And can G&K do multiplayer with BNW?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Andorra posted:

Two questions: Does denouncing actually do anything other than make the person mad? And can G&K do multiplayer with BNW?

It lets you know if anyone else out there also hates the denounced country because they will come to your side. For #2, I dunno, but probably not.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

Andorra posted:

Denouncing is pretty much announcing to the rest of the world "Hey ya'll, this guy's an rear end in a top hat." If others agree with you, or just plain like you a lot more than them, they may also denounce him, and you and them get a relations bonus, while people that like them will tend to get pissed at you. It's a good way to pick sides and alienate someone for whatever reason, and countries that have denounced someone tend to care less (but do still care some!) about your conquest of them.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I discovered the internet before computers. :iiam:

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

thehumandignity posted:

Your people just went straight to smartphones.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Whenever tech anomalies like that occur I like to make up fun scenarios to explain it. Pneumatic tube internet :science:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Is there a way to get a world to spawn with lots of salt? Love that luxury. Haven't seen it in the last few games.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

thehumandignity posted:

I think you must be using the IPoAC protocol.

Wikipedia posted:

[T]his technology suffers from poor latency.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

thehumandignity posted:

Telegraphs and semaphore. :ms:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Doyagao posted:

Tech: tech pottery -> writing -> mining -> bronze working if I want to rush iron working, otherwise whatever else is needed
build monument -> anything you can finish before writing (worker > scout > granary > *) -> great library

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like this is going to lead to you not having any land left for more cities, since the ai will have settled all the good spots.

Question: what is the best map type, size, etc? I always just go with default, which means small I think. Is there a preferred setup?

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

redreader posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like this is going to lead to you not having any land left for more cities, since the ai will have settled all the good spots.

Question: what is the best map type, size, etc? I always just go with default, which means small I think. Is there a preferred setup?

He's talking about a multiplayer build order, where people are much less likely to spam out cities everywhere.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

GeckoMissingo posted:

He's talking about a multiplayer build order, where people are much less likely to spam out cities everywhere.

Speak for yourself.

I don't know about rushing the Great Library. It tends to make people target you early on.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Is there a way to get a world to spawn with lots of salt? Love that luxury. Haven't seen it in the last few games.

Civilopedia says salt spawns on desert, plains and tundra so you could try map types that have a lot of those.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Koskinator posted:

Civilopedia says salt spawns on desert, plains and tundra so you could try map types that have a lot of those.
Civilopedia is full of poo poo, it also spawns on Grasslands, but only when there's a forest.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Is there a limit to how many bombers you can have based in a city? I'm in a war with Greece, and I want to move my bombers to my newly-conquered Athens and Sparta, but it won't let me move them anymore even when in range. I was able to get 2 planes into Athens, then moved them to Sparta, but now I can't even move them back into Athens even though they were just there! Is there some sort of known glitch with this?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Pancho Jueves posted:

Is there a limit to how many bombers you can have based in a city? I'm in a war with Greece, and I want to move my bombers to my newly-conquered Athens and Sparta, but it won't let me move them anymore even when in range. I was able to get 2 planes into Athens, then moved them to Sparta, but now I can't even move them back into Athens even though they were just there! Is there some sort of known glitch with this?

I've had 10 planes in one city, and I don't believe there's any particular limit to what you can stage where, aside from carriers which explicitly tell you their capacity.

The rebase distance is 2x the attack range, so 14 for triplanes and 16 for great war bombers (assuming you got the range upgrades). Otherwise it's 10 / 12 hexes respectively. If you turn on grid view with 'g' you should be able to count the hexes.

The other thing is if you enter rebase mode with a plane, it should have a little yellow circle around valid rebase targets (ie cities it can reach). It can be hard to spot.

Sorry if this is generic advice. If the above doesn't help maybe you can turn on the grid and post a screenshot?

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I don't know about specific mods for it, but you can use the Reseed mod to keep generating maps quickly, and preview the entire map with it, if you want certain conditions.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
How much of an improvement is Brave New World for Civ V? I own Civ V and G&K but I'm really on the fence about Brave New World. It looks neat but I'm not sure if its worth the price.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Short answer is yes. Longer answer is you might as well wait a few weeks for a sale if you are on the fence.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SkySteak posted:

How much of an improvement is Brave New World for Civ V? I own Civ V and G&K but I'm really on the fence about Brave New World. It looks neat but I'm not sure if its worth the price.
GnK was like the BTS of Civ 5. BNW is like twenty loving BTSes. Get it.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

SkySteak posted:

Makes the late game as interesting as G&K makes the early game, and makes espionage something more involved than just stealing techs or rigging elections by plugging it into the new World Congress. Early game isn't so different, except gold influx is lower until you get trade routes set up, which complicates geopolitics a bit. Culture victory is more hands-on and interesting because of theming bonuses from wonders and more ways to make your relevant numbers bigger. The new civilizations are nice (Portugal is one of my new favorites), although a couple of them aren't balanced evenly.

If you can go through Amazon, they're selling Steam keys for BNW for $15 currently.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

GnK was like the BTS of Civ 5. BNW is like twenty loving BTSes. Get it.

Nothing GnK added was really all that essential or well thought out. (religions are STILL poorly implemented)

I would say that BNW is a big requirement and I never really had much fun with Civ V at all until I got it.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Nothing GnK added was really all that essential or well thought out. (religions are STILL poorly implemented)

I would say that BNW is a big requirement and I never really had much fun with Civ V at all until I got it.

How so? Not knocking you or anything just curious to hear. I for one loving hate that spawning of GP's are random.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

I Am Just a Box posted:

If you can go through Amazon, they're selling Steam keys for BNW for $15 currently.

Would that key be region locked? It may sound silly to ask but considering recently, Rome 2 was region locked, I just want to be safe.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SirKibbles posted:

How so? Not knocking you or anything just curious to hear. I for one loving hate that spawning of GP's are random.

I just really, really dislike the religion spreading mechanics. The missionary wars and the AI's missionary/GP spam are not fun to me in the least. On top of that, the beliefs are generally pretty unbalanced, with a few really obvious choices and a few choices almost no one will ever take. That's not as bad as the religion spreading, though.

I also felt that espionage was nice in its overall implementation but was mostly boring until BNW added more stuff for spies to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SirKibbles posted:

I for one loving hate that spawning of GP's are random.
YES!!! :argh: What if the other great people also worked as lovely as the GP? I'm so loving sick of getting my first prophet at 250+ faith, especially when the game waits until the turn AFTER an AI has founded a religion to give me one. And of course the rear end in a top hat steals the bonuses I wanted. :saddowns:

I'd also want pressure to be twice as fast into your cities or something, and maybe halved into civs with closed borders. Anything to make it less annoying in a crowded area when however gets a religion 1 turn before anyone else ends up dominating like crazy. And trying to get your religion into city states is close to impossible. Especially with shitheads like Siam who just doesn't loving quit mooning the world and laying down a massive diarrhea of missionaries covering half the globe.

Speaking of religions, would these things be imbalanced as a mod?
Pantheon:
-God of Wealth: +1 gold per internal trade route.
Follower:
-Letters of Indulgence: Temples provide +2 gold.
-Synagogue: +1 happiness, +1 culture, +1 faith and one spot for great writing work. (I just picked something at random)

Poil fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 8, 2013

• Locked thread