Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

If you are looking to stat grind on rock candy then save all the ones you get. I think you can get 4. You can easily do it with one piece, it will just take longer. Give a candy to each person in your party. Next fill your inventory with sugar packets. Finally enter the inventory menu and give each candy already in a persons inventory to themselves. This will rearrange the inventory and put the candy at the very bottom. Enter into a non-threatening fight and eat away as long as you have sugar packets remaining. Repeat as necessary. Yes you can go above 999 HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You can get three Rock Candies: One in Pink Cloud, one in Deep Darkness, one in Lumine Hall.

Note that you should not carry them around in your inventory when you're not using them, because Octobots can steal them and you'll never get them back.

It's also interesting that when you're over 999 HP, the HP meter doesn't roll, but just instantly takes damage off like any other RPG. It resumes rolling once you're back below 999. I think it's *possible* to take over 1000 HP damage and get instakilled but no enemy can do it; you'd have to get hit with a Multi-bottle rocket from a confused Jeff or maybe a Bag of dragonite.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Eric the Mauve posted:

^ The Sword of Kings also never misses, so there's that. Compare to the Gutsy Bat, which is awesome but also only obtainable near the end of the final dungeon and thus totally useless for anything but bragging rights.

Here's a neat thing about the search for the Sword of 128. The game checks and decides whether you will receive a present after the battle, and if so which present you will receive, at the moment you touch the enemy and initiate the battle swirl. That means--I have actually done this and some of you probably have too--you can use Spy on a Starman Super and find a Super Bomb, if you're fighting a Starman Super/Atomic Power Robot combo.

This has another extremely important implication: The game first decides which enemy might leave you a present, and then decides based on that enemy's item-dropping probability whether you will actually get said present. This means that if you fight a Starman Super alongside another enemy (Starman or APR) your chances of getting the Sword of Kings from that battle are not 1/128, but 1/256. And if you engage it with two other enemies (possible at the end of the dungeon) it's 1/384.

I got the Sword of Kings hundreds of times as a teenager and young adult--I made it a point to always get the drat thing on every playthrough--and even kept track of how many tries it took to get it. After well over a hundred trials my average was not 1 in 128, but closer to 1 in 170. I always wondered if my luck was really THAT bad. It wasn't.

So if you want that Sword of Kings soon, make it a point to fight Starman Supers alone as much as possible. My favorite spot for hunting for them is right at the beginning of the second part of the dungeon (the first area where Starman Super encounters are possible.)

An easy procedure:
- Savestate such that you isolate a Starman Super (or two) that doesn't move toward you until you are closer.
- After every attempt of spying, reload the savestate, reset the RNG by pressing B twice (opening/closing the status screen), and savestate again.
- Repeat the last step until you get the Sword of Kings.

It takes me about 10 to 30 minutes after figuring this procedure out to get a few othef rare items (Broken antenna, Magic Frying Pan). I've yet to figure out a good way of isolating the mob for Star Pendants, though...

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It doesn't take very high levels to get the instawin against a lone Starman Super (approach them from the front, not the back, to get the green swirl). With the instawin and save states it's pretty easy to take down the Sword of Kings in not more than ten or fifteen minutes.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
On a quick extra note on the Large Pizza chat - considering that it restores as much as Lifeup Beta to 3 of the 4 members of the party, in one go, I find them useful until it's so late in the game that people tend to eat 200 HP of damage in an average encounter. Which really isn't until after Magicant.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

So, theoretically, you can save state before a swirl touch with the enemy on the screen and reload, press b twice, and engage? I was unsure if the present is loaded when the game creates the enemy off screen. But swirl touch will make getting that fry pan easier.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Goodpancakes posted:

So, theoretically, you can save state before a swirl touch with the enemy on the screen and reload, press b twice, and engage? I was unsure if the present is loaded when the game creates the enemy off screen. But swirl touch will make getting that fry pan easier.

Just be sure to press B twice after each fail and savestate, to keep the RNG going.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Goodpancakes posted:

That's correct. The present is decided at the moment you touch the enemy to initiate the pre-battle swirl.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Why weren't you all posting this stuff when I spent two weeks getting my Sword :argh:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Why weren't you all posting this stuff when I spent two weeks getting my Sword :argh:

So you could suffer like the rest of us pre-"save state" technology? :v:

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!

ETB posted:

It takes me about 10 to 30 minutes after figuring this procedure out to get a few othef rare items (Broken antenna, Magic Frying Pan). I've yet to figure out a good way of isolating the mob for Star Pendants, though...
It's been a while, but I was able to use this method for Star Pendants. I think there was a small room near the beginning of the dungeon with two of the monsters in it. I re-entered it until one of them ran either up or down instead of to the right, after which you can separate them far enough that they won't gang up on you.

The only item I never got was the Frying Pan, but why would Paula ever attack normally anyways?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Because we all suffered for it and you should too :colbert:

Here's something someone wrote on starmen.net years ago that I liked so much I saved it:

quote:

Are you familiar with that number? I am. Very familiar. Sickeningly familiar.

If you ARE familiar with that number, you probably cringed when you saw it. Maybe you were overwhelmed by the flashbacks to days or weeks on end with no sleep, long nights, bags the size of golf balls under your eyes, and report cards full of Ds and Fs. Maybe 7537 reminds you of the days when you sacrificed your entire social life for the sake of that number and the tireless quest that it represents. Your friends and family tried to have an intervention for you. Do you remember that? 23 people were gathered around you in your bedroom while you were rocking slowly back and forth on the edge of your bed, your bloodshot, glazed eyes staring unceasingly at the television's warm glow, your fingers -- which no longer will straighten out all the way, after all this -- wrapped defiantly around that controller. Your mother cried. Do you remember that? No, you don't, because you were too wrapped up in seeing that number time and time again.

You should have known you'd gone too deep when, during those times when you were forced to put down the controller and go to school -- not that that helped; every math problem you saw seemed to come to 7537 -- you noticed, but without interest, that your one-time friends were using the past tense when they talked about you, and no one tries to talk to you any longer.

Yeah, some of you EarthBound fanatics that were once productive people with bright future know what I'm talking about. Maybe some of you have already stopped reading this and are whimpering on the floor, curled up in a fetal position. But more likely you're just reading and nodding, because you finally achieved the ultimate triumph.

You found it.

I did, too.

The Sword of Kings is not an easy thing to find. A lot of people give up. I just read recently a horrifying story on the forums of someone, playing with his girlfriend (I am going to assume that this girlfriend is a real person, although 7537 can have a pretty tragic effect on the brain after awhile), got every character to level 99 -- more on this in a moment -- when, at his girlfriend's urging, he finally gave up and whacked the pathetic piece of junkyard scrap metal that calls itself Starman Deluxe without getting the Sword the Kings. Stephen King would have a heart attack at such a blood-chilling story. And yet it happens every day to innocent, unsuspecting people, and young people at that.

My own 7537 experience just came to a glorious end two days ago. Now, as most of you know, I have actually obtained the Sword of Kings far, far more often than anyone else you or I know. I get it every time through the game. The shortest time it ever took me was 14 Starman Supers. The longest... well, read on. On average, though, it indeed takes around 128 tries. My own average has been around 160.

But this time... wow. Ness was at level 50 when I entered the area of the Stonehenge base where Starman Supers reside. And there I started. You have, no doubt, a favorite area for seeking Starman Supers, your own tree stand where you set them in your sights. Mine is right at the first place where you can find them, around the doorway between the purple tunnels and the metallic hallways. That's where I spent a long, long time. It stretched forth, because of severe time constraints, over two weeks of constant hunting of Starman Supers. When your level reaches the mid-50s, you no longer have to fight a single Starman Super, provided you get the surprise opening attack. Instead, the screen flashes at you -- that rainbow flashing really screws your eyes up if you stare at it all night -- and you see

YOU WON!

Ness and his friends gained 7537 exp. each.

And so the nightmare begins.

You pretty often have to fight standard Starmen along with the Starman Supers, which is irritating but harmless. But you do everything you can to stay away from those blasted Atomic Power Robots. Ask anyone who has spent any length of time seeking the hallowed Sword of 128, and they will break down weeping (or go on a three state killing spree, or both) when the thought of those blasted Atomic Power Robots springs to mind. It's not just that they blow up in your face. Yeah, that's bad enough. But by the time several hours have gone by and your level is creeping into the high 70s, that doesn't faze you much anymore. You just use lifeup as it's necessary and keep going. No, the true horror of the Atomic Power Robot is its dreaded Super bomb.

Super bomb? you ask, if you're not familiar with the agony of 7537, the true testing ground of the hard-core EarthBound fan.

As those of us who have survived the testing -- and are better men (and women?) for it, too -- can attest, the Super bomb is the most despised item in all of EarthBound. Because Atomic Power Robots drop them all the time. With 8/128 frequency. So it results in repeatedly having to experience the most horrible agony, the outer extreme of human suffering.

It's happened to you before. It may cause horribly painful memories if you continue reading. Please stop now if you're not prepared for it.

You just popped off a Starman Super and Atomic Power Robot combo. You scroll past the exp. screen, and suddenly you see:

The enemy left a present!

Your heart leaps in your chest. It's like the girl (or boy, ladies) you had a huge crush on for two years in high school just asked if she can talk to you privately. With your heart pounding, anticipating the exhiliration, you then press A and see:

Inside the present, there was a Super bomb!

It's as if that girl you had a crush on, after she took you aside in private, told you that she ran over your dog and killed it on the way to school this morning. You're just dumbfounded. You feel the life just draining out of your body and collecting in a puddle at your feet. Even when you expect the Super bomb, it's still a crushing blow when it happens. Because you're so thirsty for that Sword of 128 that it's pushed you to the brink of your own sanity.

I kept a tally this time. Let me explain this most recent story to you. Everyone was at level 99 when I finally found the Sword of Kings, at 9:14 PM on Tuesday, January 27, 2004. I had fought -- yeah, I counted; I'm a nerd -- eight hundred and seventy (870) Starman Supers. That's just Starman Supers; I didn't keep a count, but by determining the ratio per 50 Starman Supers, I estimate that I also fought about 350 Starmen and about 80-90 Atomic Power Robots. I got ten Super bombs (one would expect 5 or 6 based on the odds.) All ten, of course, were from battles involving Starman Supers, since we just run away if we get in a fight with an Atomic Power Robot by itself.

870 Starman Supers. My estimation is that about 425-450 of them I fought by themselves. That's 425-450 times that "Ness and his friends gained 7537 exp. each." appeared on my screen. Over. and over. and over. and over again. That number is as permanently etched into my memory as my birthday. I wonder how many of you reading this knew exactly what 7537 meant the first time you saw it? If that number ever randomly appears in my life, Starman Supers and the kind of stories I related in this article will immediately come to my mind. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the very last definite thing left in my memory when I die at age 97 after a six year struggle with Alzheimer's disease.

It's the essence that bonds the hardcore EarthBound players everywhere together. United we stand, and united we get obsessed, and united we finally collapse and fall asleep.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Nonbaka posted:

The only item I never got was the Frying Pan, but why would Paula ever attack normally anyways?

It's more for the Guts since it has less attack power than the Holy. More Guts means better chance of surviving a mortal blow.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Magic Fry Pan's a gambler's weapon. Roughly speaking, with the huge Guts bonus and high miss rate, what you get is a miss 1/4 of the time, a normal hit 1/4 of the time and a SMAAAAASH 1/2 of the time. But by that late stage in the game Paula is mostly using PSI every turn anyway; it's a novelty, like most of the 1/128 items.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Ahhh yes 7537!

It lets you know if you insta-gibbed a Starman or Starman Super.

Thank god the developers made them the easiest enemies to instakill, whether on purpose or not. I understand SoK isn't all that great, but something feels so wrong about missing that one piece of equipment for Poo. Like I never grind for anything else but drat I need that sword. Also getting Lifeup Omega around that time is pretty :coal:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's correct. The present is decided at the moment you touch the enemy to initiate the pre-battle swirl.
I'm pretty confident it's when the enemy is first loaded into a screen, because in the process of trying to get ideal levels this playthrough I've reloaded enemies again and again and the ones that had a present in one screen ALWAYS had it every single time I killed them before resetting. Is bringing up quick status panes with B really equivalent to a screen reload?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I'm pretty confident it's when the enemy is first loaded into a screen, because in the process of trying to get ideal levels this playthrough I've reloaded enemies again and again and the ones that had a present in one screen ALWAYS had it every single time I killed them before resetting. Is bringing up quick status panes with B really equivalent to a screen reload?

My understanding is in accordance with what was posted above, that toggling the menu or status windows jiggles the RNG. Absent that when you reload state the RNG will very likely turn out the same over and over.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

It absolutely is the same without a reset. Monsters will even follow the exact same battleplan over and over, like it's pre-determined before you encounter them.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

It absolutely is the same without a reset. Monsters will even follow the exact same battleplan over and over, like it's pre-determined before you encounter them.

It's generating numbers randomly, you just saved that particular string of numbers in your save state. For whatever reason, opening the status window changes it up.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

ETB posted:

It's generating numbers randomly, you just saved that particular string of numbers in your save state. For whatever reason, opening the status window changes it up.
Yeah I know, I'm saying the game seems to fully generate all those random numbers from the moment the enemy sprite appears on the screen!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The "mash B after loading a savestate with a single starman" is what worked for me last night, so doesn't seem like it. I did make sure to mash the button more than a couple times at different intervals after each load though, get that RNG (which is probably seeded on the system clock) good and scrambled.

Although technically two is all you need. Assuming the first one pops up the same every single time, the one after that is still going to be completely random.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 7, 2013

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Yeah I know, I'm saying the game seems to fully generate all those random numbers from the moment the enemy sprite appears on the screen!

Not necessarily. From my (extremely) limited understanding of how games use RNGs, there's a single random number it pulls up (the "seed") and from that all random calculations are based on. So the game isn't generating a "bunch" of random numbers, it's generating a single random number upon which the rest of the numbers are derived from, or something, which changes when you open the menu, I guess.

ZOOM!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

The "mash B after loading a savestate with a single starman" is what worked for me last night, so doesn't seem like it. I did make sure to mash the button more than a couple times at different intervals after each load though, get that RNG (which is probably seeded on the system clock) good and scrambled.

Although technically two is all you need. Assuming the first one pops up the same every single time, the one after that is still going to be completely random.

Yeah it works that way. There's a tool assisted speedrun of the game and it hits B in intervals before fights to do all sorts of wacky RNG stuff, like getting the 1/128 bombs from the slugs to make the Titanic Ant fight a breeze.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Ezzer posted:

Not necessarily. From my (extremely) limited understanding of how games use RNGs, there's a single random number it pulls up (the "seed") and from that all random calculations are based on. So the game isn't generating a "bunch" of random numbers, it's generating a single random number upon which the rest of the numbers are derived from, or something, which changes when you open the menu, I guess.

ZOOM!
That's semantic, the point is that the mob's fate is decided the moment its sprite is drawn. Pressing B twice or reloading them with scrolling is the only thing to alter their destiny!

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Yeah I remember reading in a TAS explanation once that it helps to think of EB's RNG as just a really long string of numbers that are basically always the same if you do the exact same movements. Or something similar to that.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Does anyone except me like to get the T-Rex bat with Jeff before meeting up with Ness and Paula at Threed? Yes it's completely unnecessary, but I like the idea of bringing an awesome weapon back as a "gift" to the group. It also makes the fourside mall a lot easier. I wouldn't do the same for the Coins of Silence though. But for the T-rex bat you only need something like 80 cookies if you sell all the stuff Jeff Starts with, and some of the stuff he repairs.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Powercrazy posted:

Does anyone except me like to get the T-Rex bat with Jeff before meeting up with Ness and Paula at Threed? Yes it's completely unnecessary, but I like the idea of bringing an awesome weapon back as a "gift" to the group. It also makes the fourside mall a lot easier. I wouldn't do the same for the Coins of Silence though. But for the T-rex bat you only need something like 80 cookies if you sell all the stuff Jeff Starts with, and some of the stuff he repairs.

I do this as well. I like the little boost.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

I just did this the other day and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the price tag would have made me thought. I had even made things harder on myself by selling the broken tool before it was fixed, thus giving me $150 I had to make up on my own. Even all the extra levels didn't even make a difference as he was still massively behind the other two. I wouldn't be surprised if getting that bat was an expected result from dedicated players by the developers.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The bat isn't worth it at all. It doesn't have any noticeable impact on difficulty unless maybe you're running on very low levels. It's just a cool novelty, not unlike the Sword of Kings.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
It's a +22 offense upgrade compared to the Minor League bat which I think is the max of what you'd have by then. Earthbound, like most RPGs the weapons you buy each town, are almost completely unnecessary, but it's always nice to skip a tier or two of weapons when you can.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The Mother remake rom hack group just posted a new video demonstrating the train. Pretty neat and they did a great job with the music, although I think the train looks a bit too much like a certain tour bus...

For comparison, here's a train ride in Earthbound Zero.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ETB posted:

There isn't one. The biggest room where you can encounter a Major Psychic Psycho is the room where one door leads to the Sanctuary and the other leads to the Moon Beam Gun, and even then it's not big enough to isolate both enemies. I've found the best place to get the Broken Antenna is the place where you can first fall down a hole.

I'm also replaying Mother 3, and I realized why I don't come back to play it as much as I do Earthbound- it's too drat short. One of Earthbound's charms is the vastness of the world that you're playing in. Mother 3 doesn't have that (although that's for plot reasons).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

I do the same sort of thing, but I show up with about 8 Picnic Lunches from training Jeff up on Cave Boys. I hate having my party too far apart in levels, and while you can't do anything about that with Paula, you can totally make a mental note of Ness's level and make sure Jeff shows up on pace with him. This also helps buff Jeff quite a bit as he will probably have enough IQ to repair his next few weapons instead of buying them. And then most immediately, the picnic lunches make the tunnel underneath Threed to Saturn Valley an easier journey - the zombie dogs and poo poo down in there can be a real pain in the rear end if you're relying on PP for your healing, since Ness will be called upon to 1) use Lifeup, 2) use Healing when you inevitably get poisoned, and 3) use PSI Favorite on annoying combinations of enemies that are too dangerous to whittle down.

Y-Hat posted:

I'm also replaying Mother 3, and I realized why I don't come back to play it as much as I do Earthbound- it's too drat short. One of Earthbound's charms is the vastness of the world that you're playing in. Mother 3 doesn't have that (although that's for plot reasons).
I always peeter out on Mother 3 because the story feels like it meanders around for god drat ever without going anywhere. By the time the Needles start getting pulled at a reasonable clip I'm so disinterested in what's on the screen I have difficulty loading the game up.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 12, 2013

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I played Mother 3 twice and don't plan to play it again because, while it was a tremendous experience, let's be honest here, that experience is mostly about the game repeatedly kicking you in the balls. Playing it is exhausting.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Coolguye posted:

I do the same sort of thing, but I show up with about 8 Picnic Lunches from training Jeff up on Cave Boys. I hate having my party too far apart in levels, and while you can't do anything about that with Paula, you can totally make a mental note of Ness's level and make sure Jeff shows up on pace with him. This also helps buff Jeff quite a bit as he will probably have enough IQ to repair his next few weapons instead of buying them. And then most immediately, the picnic lunches make the tunnel underneath Threed to Saturn Valley an easier journey - the zombie dogs and poo poo down in there can be a real pain in the rear end if you're relying on PP for your healing, since Ness will be called upon to 1) use Lifeup, 2) use Healing when you inevitably get poisoned, and 3) use PSI Favorite on annoying combinations of enemies that are too dangerous to whittle down.

Use Freeze alpha and a Bash from Ness to put down Zombie Dogs. Nothing else in that tunnel is remotely threatening (the possession is drat annoying but can be lived with). And you can feel free to let 'er rip with the PP because there's a Magic Butterfly spawn right outside the exit, next to the intrepid salesman.

As for poison, you actually have to be fairly well leveled to know Healing beta at that point (alpha ain't enough to cure poison) so you should pack a couple Vials of Serum to be safe.

I usually level Jeff up until he reaches IQ 12 (so he can repair the Broken Air Gun) and call it a day. I used to dither around with leveling him into the high teens but haven't done that for a while.

e: gently caress, meant to add that to my last post, sorry :ohdear:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Y-Hat posted:

There isn't one. The biggest room where you can encounter a Major Psychic Psycho is the room where one door leads to the Sanctuary and the other leads to the Moon Beam Gun, and even then it's not big enough to isolate both enemies. I've found the best place to get the Broken Antenna is the place where you can first fall down a hole

Actually the room on the top floor with the three entrances spawns a Major Psychic Psycho plus a Soul Consuming Flame and is just large enough for you to split them apart and despawn one. Of course, banking on the fact you already beat the Sanctuary first so they run away from you meaning you're at the end of the game so grabbing a star pendant is a bit of a moot point, but haven't we already established that's the case for all the 1/128 items anyhow.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I just settled for one Star Pendant and blasted through Magicant. My only regret was not bringing the Franklin Badge, but I managed to survive.

Goddess Ribbon and Gutsy Bat, you're both mine!

Note: The passageway before Carbon/Diamond Dog includes a Major Psychic Psycho when there's two mobs, so after defeating the boss, it is a great place to farm the pendant(s).

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Eric the Mauve posted:

I played Mother 3 twice and don't plan to play it again because, while it was a tremendous experience, let's be honest here, that experience is mostly about the game repeatedly kicking you in the balls. Playing it is exhausting.

Yeah I totally agree.

Earthbound is an adventurous romp through a fun-to-explore world.

Mother 3 is following a plot that railroads you towards sadness.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I totally agree.

Earthbound is an adventurous romp through a fun-to-explore world.

Mother 3 is following a plot that railroads you towards sadness.

Which is even more bizarre when you think about it, really, since Earthbound's overall story is potentially more horrifying than Mother 3's. Mother 3 is a crash course of sadness, but the characters for the most part have an idea that all that's coming, with the exception of the first few hour or so of play. Earthbound basically has a bee talk up a bunch of preteens fighting a mind-shattering evil like it's an episode of the Justice League, and there's not a single god drat person on the planet who seems to think that the mind-shattering evil is actually a mind-shattering evil. Pretty much every ally that Ness and crew had, including Buzz-Buzz, basically salted them and hung them out to dry.

I have never been able to see Earthbound's ending as a happy one on any level for Ness and crew. Everyone congratulates them and everyone's happy around them, but then they're separated without much discussion or explanation. Just 'oh welp we killed the thing that was destroying our souls beyond time and space time to go home now'. I know people who can't stand down from stresses they experienced getting through loving college. poo poo like waking up in a cold sweat due to tests they don't have anymore, talking to themselves on how they're going to explain late homework they don't have to do to instructors they don't have to answer to, crap like that.

How the hell are a bunch of pre-teens supposed to stand down from having an invincible world-killer bear down on them and being totally helpless if not for prayers, particularly when they're separated so fast? Who's got their backs at any point, really, aside from MAYBE Dr. Andonuts? Ness's mother works great as an inspiration for why you're doing this poo poo, but in the aftermath she just doesn't seem to get what her son's been through. And I end up thinking that nobody does.

I dunno, Earthbound's ending just seemed like a massive case of PTSD waiting to happen for everyone involved, and with no help in sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Don't worry, PSI Healing Omega will take care of PTSD. :v:

• Locked thread