Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

He compliments you on blending in with the civilians.

But try using stealth clothing when visiting Surkov.

Oh Obsidian :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

monster on a stick posted:

But try using stealth clothing when visiting Surkov.

I prefer using the utility vest for that scene.

Alwyn
Aug 13, 2012
I feel like playing this game again after reading the OP.
And here I was, thinking I was doing the right thing, until I found out Scarlet is actually an employed assassin by Halbech, especially considering I sent 99% of all Halbech-intel to her for money.

I never expected this game to be so deep... I had to use a walkthrough at some point (weak, I know ;_; ), but because my situation was so different I could barely use it.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Alwyn posted:

And here I was, thinking I was doing the right thing, until I found out Scarlet is actually an employed assassin by Halbech, especially considering I sent 99% of all Halbech-intel to her for money.

Actually, the only good reason to do that is to gain influence with Scarlet. Using the info to blackmail Halbech gains you much more money. If I remember correctly one of the possible e-mail exchanges is with Leland himself, though you do not get to bring it up in any of the face-to-face conversations with him. Come to think of it, does sending those pieces of intel to the media have any discernible in-game effect?

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 21, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Halbech's stock will crash and burn in the end game credits due to all the scandals coming out.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

poptart_fairy posted:

Halbech's stock will crash and burn in the end game credits due to all the scandals coming out.

That's if you sell the intel on the black market, not if you send it to Scarlet, in case anyone was confused.

Alwyn
Aug 13, 2012

Kopijeger posted:

Actually, the only good reason to do that is to gain influence with Scarlet. Using the info to blackmail Halbech gains you much more money. If I remember correctly one of the possible e-mail exchanges is with Leland himself, though you do not get to bring it up in any of the face-to-face conversations with him. Come to think of it, does sending those pieces of intel to the media have any discernible in-game effect?
Hmm true. I did get quite some money, but I can't help but feel I could've done better, even without that cash.

poptart_fairy posted:

That would be more fun to see. I did get to have sexual intercourse with Scarlet though :3:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

That's if you sell the intel on the black market, not if you send it to Scarlet, in case anyone was confused.

You can also just not sell the intel at all.

Thorton, Inc. :smug:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Just finished this game.

Ho. lee. poo poo.

Best. Game. Ever.

Ended up being sort of an aggressive, action star dude who bedded all the ladies and punched all his enemies in the face, and made cool friends (except for the russian old guy, sorry I smashed your face in bro).

Just amazed at how great it was. Also, if it's your first time playing, just go with the flow, whatever choice you make. Some cool things happen when you gently caress up too.

Goddamn, what a great game. Feeling like starting it up immediately again, but I really liked how my story in the game flowed, so I'll leave it be. 10/10.

edit: Finished it on Easy mode, if that matters. The combat is not great, and it kept detracting from the awesome story, so I restarted a few levels in to drop the difficulty. No regrets.

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 6, 2013

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I pretty much play on Easy or Normal; Hard is annoying because it just gives the enemies more hit points, making tranq ammo pointless because you can't down an enemy in one shot, meaning stealth-shooting is out entirely.

I totally recommend starting over some time though; fans tend to oversell how different it can get from game to game(it's always the same basic plot after all, and there's only one or two missions you might miss out on) but you really can alter the feel and texture of what's going on to a very impressive degree. I keep meaning to start another playthrough, but I've played it through eight or nine times and I've basically done everything at this point. I might just look up what achievements I haven't got and go after them. I don't think I've bedded all the love interests in one game yet. :pervert:

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Play the game again. Never stop playing this game again. Post your experiences so we can remember what it was like to experience this loving game for the first time.

But seriously, if you paid attention to things, you'll honestly notice an, albeit slight, different in dialogue as soon as the end of the Greybox. The entire point is to play again and make different choices.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Seriously, you haven't beaten AP until you've at least beaten it twice. I guarantee you missed a ton of stuff you had no idea even existed.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Seriously, you haven't beaten AP until you've at least beaten it twice. I guarantee you missed a ton of stuff you had no idea even existed.

Just twice? Looking back through my past I saw that just back in April someone found an area in Saudi that no one else seemed to know about here. That is loving nuts.

In related news, I'm starting a new playthrough of this tonight. I've managed to get my wife really interested in the idea of what is, basically, a choose-your-own adventure video game. I'm gonna play through the action portions and then hand the controller over to her during conversations. This should be prove interesting. Though she has no idea about the two or three subsequent play-throughs she's going to have to do.

RStar
Aug 18, 2013

Good to see I'm not the only one who really enjoyed this game.

Wish it would have sold better so we could get a sequel.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

El Tortuga posted:

Just twice? Looking back through my past I saw that just back in April someone found an area in Saudi that no one else seemed to know about here. That is loving nuts.

Once you've seen how different a second playthrough is, you're always gonna come back for more. They all come back.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

El Tortuga posted:

In related news, I'm starting a new playthrough of this tonight. I've managed to get my wife really interested in the idea of what is, basically, a choose-your-own adventure video game. I'm gonna play through the action portions and then hand the controller over to her during conversations. This should be prove interesting. Though she has no idea about the two or three subsequent play-throughs she's going to have to do.

You should give her the choice of how you will play the action parts (stealthy with silenced pistol, I Know Kung Fu, Boomstick, etc.) Or a combination thereof (I always loved stealth-pistol-kung fu, maximum enjoyment and flexibility.)

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Since this thread got bumped I'm going to use it as an excuse to post what I've got hanging on my wall now.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Oh my gosh that looks so nice! I'm mad jealous. :swoon:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

RStar posted:

Good to see I'm not the only one who really enjoyed this game.

Wish it would have sold better so we could get a sequel.

I'm still hoping. I want to belieeve :ohdear:

Don Tacorleone posted:

edit: Finished it on Easy mode, if that matters. The combat is not great, and it kept detracting from the awesome story, so I restarted a few levels in to drop the difficulty. No regrets.

Also if you want really-easy-mode take the pistol and level that thing. It's just as overpowered as everyone says it is. I did my latest playthrough with it and it's pretty ridiculous.

Also where did you get that thing Hannibal, I need one too now.

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

I'm still hoping. I want to belieeve :ohdear:
Hopefully SEGA comes around one day. At least I hope they realized that cancelling the Obsidian Aliens RPG in favor of Colonial Marines was the wrong decision.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Fathis Munk posted:

Also where did you get that thing Hannibal, I need one too now.
It was a Project Eternity backer reward. I got a New Vegas patch too.

Line Feed posted:

Oh my gosh that looks so nice! I'm mad jealous. :swoon:
Thanks! My wife is the one who did the framing. She stole them from me after I got them in the mail and did that as a birthday present.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

El Tortuga posted:

What was it?

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Xander77 posted:

What was it?

From back in April:

Soonmot posted:

Wow! I just found a new area in the final Saudi mission. When you use the computer to open the metal gates after leaving the airfield, if you let the soldier there get away, he shuts the gate and you have to find an alternate route inside. It takes you into a building with some loot and four or five guys plus a sniper pearch to clear out the next area. This loving game!

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
This building?

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
That was a new area to you guys? I'd been taking that route since the first time I played the game. Take the alt route, use the sniper rifle to take out a few guys, use the computer console in the next room to overload the generator and distract the guards, then go down to the main area and chain shot all the enemies that are conveniently standing next to each other.

It says a lot when I can recite that whole area from memory after not playing the game for 6+ months...

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I replayed it recently for the fifth (I think?) time as a suave-only jerk-Thornton and still managed to find lots of new stuff. This was also the first time I got to kill you-know-who at the museum, that whole sequence was loving glorious.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

That was a new area to you guys? I'd been taking that route since the first time I played the game. Take the alt route, use the sniper rifle to take out a few guys, use the computer console in the next room to overload the generator and distract the guards, then go down to the main area and chain shot all the enemies that are conveniently standing next to each other.

It says a lot when I can recite that whole area from memory after not playing the game for 6+ months...

I had never not killed the guard patrol that comes when you open the gate from up top before. It was only because I was playing shotgun rear end in a top hat and stomping faces that I missed it that time.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

I think there's a whole area off to the right of that screenshot that controls the power to the gate, I think that's what he's talking about? I've only ever gone there once.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

grate deceiver posted:

I replayed it recently for the fifth (I think?) time as a suave-only jerk-Thornton and still managed to find lots of new stuff. This was also the first time I got to kill you-know-who at the museum, that whole sequence was loving glorious.

"Yeah, I know all about that abortion of an op."
:allears:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Since it's not in the OP and i can't remember where it was mentioned in the thread, how do i edit the files or whatever in the PC version so i can unlock Veteran mode without beating Recruit? I've been craving a fifth/sixth/something replay lately but i've only unlocked Veteran on my 360.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Hank Morgan posted:

In your [Documents]/Alpha Protocol/Profile folder there should be a file called ProfileOptions.dat. Open that file with a hex editor and edit address 000000400 and it's value changes from 00 to 03 as highlighted below.

I think this is what you're looking for.

Bastastic
Jun 20, 2010

Dorroile posted:

Since it's not in the OP and i can't remember where it was mentioned in the thread, how do i edit the files or whatever in the PC version so i can unlock Veteran mode without beating Recruit? I've been craving a fifth/sixth/something replay lately but i've only unlocked Veteran on my 360.

Download this and follow the instructions http://www.cheathappens.com/download_file.asp?id=28038 . Worked for me, I did it just a few hours ago

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Two Finger posted:

"Yeah, I know all about that abortion of an op."
:allears:

"...Conrad :smug:"

Although I like keeping him alive and either telling him that Parker was the one that burned him, or having him walk right by a begging Leland. One gives him justice for the event that turned him into the monster he is today, the other indicates some sort of redemptive arc. I've always thought that the bit in the cafe where Marburg says "... and I am a cautious person" while looking at his armed guard indicates that he's not fully trusted and may not be 100% on board. His fault is loyalty; he expects it from his people and he in turn is loyal to his superiors no matter what he is told to do. The speech that smug Mike gives to get Marburg to fight him is brutal but has a lot of truth to it.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

monster on a stick posted:

I've always thought that the bit in the cafe where Marburg says "... and I am a cautious person" while looking at his armed guard indicates that he's not fully trusted

He's seriously just saying "I will shoot you if I have to."

wretchx
Dec 4, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone know if there's a way to change specializations after Saudi Arabia?

I have mine set to Stealth, Pistols, Martial Arts. But I thought I had chosen Sabotage instead of Pistols. I'm so far in now that I don't want to go back. I tried to view the save file in hex but couldn't find relevant data.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Yes, the way you change specializations is you keep playing until you see credits, and then the game starts over and you get to pick new specializations. Because the game isn't truly over until your 6th playthrough, you see.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

windsor posted:

Anyone know if there's a way to change specializations after Saudi Arabia?

I have mine set to Stealth, Pistols, Martial Arts. But I thought I had chosen Sabotage instead of Pistols. I'm so far in now that I don't want to go back. I tried to view the save file in hex but couldn't find relevant data.

Why would you take Sabotage over Pistols? Pistols is literally the best skill in the game.

Dec 26, 2012

Dauntasa posted:

Why would you take Sabotage over Pistols? Pistols is literally the best skill in the game.

Pistols is fantastic and also incredibly uninteresting, especially if he's focusing on martial arts and will be kneeing his way through the game.

That said, you can do well enough focusing on two things (especially if one is stealth) and sprinkling point dips in useful things like tech aptitude, toughness, etc. Don't sweat it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dauntasa posted:

It makes the boss fights hilariously short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I just picked this up, and I'm up to Saudi Arabia. I'm playing as Recruit, for some reason (partly due to misreading the Before I Play entry) and I'm not sure how to pick my 3 tag skills. I'm thinking Sabotage and Stealth and Pistols?

So far, I got through Saudi Arabia by running, gunning, and beating people up (already got the Achievement for 50 melee kills), but I expected a typical Obsidian talk-fest (that's why I bought AP). Does it get more open/talkier as things go on?

• Locked thread