Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Eltoasto posted:

I mean, if you enjoy pvp then it's not really a grind. If you don't enjoy it, then why would you be doing it anyways? Enjoy FFXIV, the game free of grinds!

I enjoy the PVP, but the grind has gotten ridiculous. Zero innovation,.just adding 10 new levels and a new gear grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

anthonypants posted:

You still get Loyalty for spending the Credits you'd need to buy the patron pass. That's literally what the blog post was talking about, and why it's being changed.

Are you talking about the blog post I linked earlier in the thread? That was from June and the changes have been in place for a while. Buying credits and spending them on a 30-day pass nets you a total of 7k loyalty for both the purchase and use of those credits and this is done by giving you less than 2 loyalty per credit spent on the pass.

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004

Stanley Pain posted:

I enjoy the PVP, but the grind has gotten ridiculous. Zero innovation,.just adding 10 new levels and a new gear grind.

I don't know why you would expect anything different Its been the same thing in PvP since the game was released, and if Conquest was their best attempt at innovation they should probably just spend what dev time they have on other content. PvP will never be more than a brief afterthought.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

vandiar posted:

I don't know why you would expect anything different Its been the same thing in PvP since the game was released, and if Conquest was their best attempt at innovation they should probably just spend what dev time they have on other content. PvP will never be more than a brief afterthought.

Conquest isn't even pvp :3:.

Like I mean strictly yes you kill other players but I mean there are plenty of people who literally do it only to refresh conquest power so yeah.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 8, 2013

Jurand
Nov 10, 2004

I watch. I see. I will take action.

I watch. I see. I will take action.
Sheachiri

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

vandiar posted:

There was hope, but now that that's gone I won't be playing anymore :).

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004

Stanley Pain posted:

There was hope, but now that that's gone I won't be playing anymore :).

I kind of lost hope for PvP when they started making all those weird changes like 5 or 6 months ago with healing and TTK and it's been just going downhill since then. Rift PvP needs a lot of attention and with the way things are now it just will never happen :(

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy
Can I get a re invite on Lisieux, please?

Thank you!

Murven's awesome!

Bonapartisan fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 9, 2013

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

ndub fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 9, 2013

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011
i absolutely guarantee that exactly nothing in this game is balanced for pvp, at all

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

edit: forget it

ndub fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 9, 2013

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

PvP exists for one thing: cool wardrobe pieces.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ndub posted:

It's a shame so many people hold that opinion.

Most people don't care about PVP in a PVE-centric MMO. Shocker.

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

vandiar posted:

I kind of lost hope for PvP when they started making all those weird changes like 5 or 6 months ago with healing and TTK and it's been just going downhill since then. Rift PvP needs a lot of attention and with the way things are now it just will never happen :(

High TTK is boring and no one wants to play PVP like that, which is why it's where it's at now. The gameplay has to be great (it isn't, it's fun, but not great) and extremely high TTK fucks over objective based warfronts anyway, since players on opposing teams need to be killed to cap points/return stones/whatever else, and if all of the people whining about "high TTK" got their way, the first team to cap whatever point would hold it for the duration of the match, and objective based warfronts would effectively be dead.

Mana pools/regeneration is already ridiculous and there are few counters to that (which hardly anyone plays, like dom), if TTK was higher no one would ever die as long as you stacked 3 or 4 decent healing souls on your team.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
What does TTK mean?

Time-to-kill?

(If so I miss when 51 RB would gib people super fast)

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Tera is still the best mmo for PvP because (in arenas) either you kill someone in 6 seconds or you don't (and it becomes a slugfest until your stuns are up again). Also the whole action combat stuff.

Ezzie
Apr 14, 2008

You are being shagged by a rare Parrot!
:parrot:
Hey, I'm oscillating between two characters currently: Mandos & Ulmo (nerdy references ho). May I join your goony selves?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Priam posted:

High TTK is boring and no one wants to play PVP like that, which is why it's where it's at now. The gameplay has to be great (it isn't, it's fun, but not great) and extremely high TTK fucks over objective based warfronts anyway, since players on opposing teams need to be killed to cap points/return stones/whatever else, and if all of the people whining about "high TTK" got their way, the first team to cap whatever point would hold it for the duration of the match, and objective based warfronts would effectively be dead.

Mana pools/regeneration is already ridiculous and there are few counters to that (which hardly anyone plays, like dom), if TTK was higher no one would ever die as long as you stacked 3 or 4 decent healing souls on your team.

This game still has a VERY high TTK when factored into group play and can border on infinite depending on great healers and weak DPS. I still think that healing in PVP needs to be tuned lower by another 15-20%. GW2 has a great TTK in both 1v1 and group situations. This is a generalization, of course.

They also need to bring by hybrid builds so I can at least play the "crazy spec theory craft game" with ndub ;)

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
I think it should be pretty obvious that heals balanced versus raidbosses with millions of hp and tons of dps won't be balanced against much smaller targets like enemy players.

edit,Well great, if they have such a function already then they could tune it more then :P

FunkyFlashman fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 9, 2013

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

FunkyFlashman posted:

I think it should be pretty obvious that heals balanced versus raidbosses with millions of hp and tons of dps won't be balanced against much smaller targets like enemy players.

And that's why all healing has an innate reduction in PvP

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FunkyFlashman posted:

edit, to Zoness: Well great, if they have such a function already then they could tune it more then :P

That's exactly what I said. :confused:

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

This game still has a VERY high TTK when factored into group play and can border on infinite depending on great healers and weak DPS. I still think that healing in PVP needs to be tuned lower by another 15-20%. GW2 has a great TTK in both 1v1 and group situations. This is a generalization, of course.

They also need to bring by hybrid builds so I can at least play the "crazy spec theory craft game" with ndub ;)

i dont think they ever really managed to strike a balance between ttk/healing. they probably never will.

in vanilla there were a few warrior specs notorious for really low ttk because they had 6 off gcd attacks that all triggered around the same time. at the same time warden/sent and puri clerics were drat near untouchable in rank6+ gear. it was probably the most balanced rift pvp has ever been.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!
New raptor is up on the PTS.

The model's not great and the animations aren't either. So I'd assume that's pretty much final.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
Let me tell you the PVP Warfronts in this game are the most fun part about it. Just roving about slashwhooshing your way through a whole bunch of dudes who are all murderfrenzy is the maddest fun time.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

rear end-Haggis posted:

Let me tell you the PVP Warfronts in this game are the most fun part about it. Just roving about slashwhooshing your way through a whole bunch of dudes who are all murderfrenzy is the maddest fun time.

As a person that never, ever PVPs I second this.

Join a warfront, load up as many AE abilities as you can, then run into packs of jerks and slash/explode/mash faces until you die. There's something really satisfying about that move, repeated forever.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

mr. nobody posted:

As a person that never, ever PVPs I second this.

Join a warfront, load up as many AE abilities as you can, then run into packs of jerks and slash/explode/mash faces until you die. There's something really satisfying about that move, repeated forever.

I leveled my warrior from 50-60 mostly through PvP and used the annoying as gently caress Warlord/some-other-spec that was full of interrupts, ST and AOE pulls. I had so many people message me "loving stop" as I did practically nothing consequential. Best pvp times.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".

necrotic posted:

Not going to be around tonight, and I will be out of town all next week. Kill that Reg guy while I'm gone!

I hate it when you don't raid with us.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
In as Tannerschan please to be inviting.

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004
Rift Space Program is the best new Rift minigame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OGrpJdLvpc

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
Is the goon guild still going strong? because I would like to join. Osneg is my ingame name.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Kreczor posted:

I hate it when you don't raid with us.

So, how'd Monday go?

Notinghamington posted:

Is the goon guild still going strong? because I would like to join. Osneg is my ingame name.

I'd say so. I don't think we ever have 0 people online, and peak hours are upwards of 30.

Forgetso
Mar 29, 2007
I got this at release and subbed for a while but never got to play much. I just came back to a boatload of loyalty prizes. Please add Brettro to the goon guild.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

necrotic posted:

So, how'd Monday go?

We made it to phase 3. Should have made it twice, but there was a shambler bug.
We have the hard stuff down pretty well, but half the pulls feature a DPS dieing in the first 10 seconds.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".

necrotic posted:

So, how'd Monday go?
I've learned that some people shouldn't raid.

I've also learned that some people are amazing raiders, and should show up every week if they aren't already.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I wanted to show up but I fell asleep at the keyboard. Going to be there Wed. though!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

StumblyWumbly posted:

but half the pulls feature a DPS dieing in the first 10 seconds.

Pretty standard for goon raids.

At least y'all made it to Phase 3! We did that on Salvarola, too, which was pretty sweet.

Kirtan
May 17, 2011
I'm back from vacation! I'll be along tomorrow night to help clear trash bosses if no one else needs in.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
Think it's about time for Cardona to get back in this poo poo, now with 0% puppies/dogs but with 100% more crazy Chinese wife!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Cuatal posted:

Think it's about time for Cardona to get back in this poo poo, now with 0% puppies/dogs but with 100% more crazy Chinese wife!

ahahaha...Are you still in China?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:

Eltoasto posted:

ahahaha...Are you still in China?

Yeah until October 6th, then moving back home with my wife and I'll have good internet and will be able to do more than just spam one button while fighting zone bosses hoping I managed to get a hit off before it died so I get credit for the kill.

• Locked thread