Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

yaoi prophet posted:

So what exactly enforces the AI laws? Is there a mechanism for the other players to go 'hey, you didn't actually follow the laws' and punish you?

The mods can job-ban you for being a bad AI, and the players can storm your upload and essentially kill you.

e:fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Question about AI: If human A is about to shoot human B and the only way to stop human A is to kill him, does the AI act or not? Either way would be a violation of the laws right?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Nyyen posted:

... they generally just beat you to death to make sure.

SS13 in a nutshell.

Vib Rib posted:

Question about AI: If human A is about to shoot human B and the only way to stop human A is to kill him, does the AI act or not? Either way would be a violation of the laws right?

That's getting into zeroth law territory (a robot must not harm humanity). Will human A go on to kill other humans? In SS13 probably yes which means killing human A is probably ok, maybe. A lot depends on your bullshittery skills; if you can justify your actions you'll probably be fine admin-wise but the "crew" may have other ideas.

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 9, 2013

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Vib Rib posted:

No, you can't kill people at all. It's Asimov laws: First and foremost, do no harm to humans, even if they are Hitler. You can, however, do poo poo like lock him in a room to keep him away from victims or call the space police or call him mean names or whatever.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Chastise human B. "Please stop bleeding as this is harmful to human health."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MisterOblivious posted:

SS13 in a nutshell.

Pretty much. Unless you're really good at the game, all that will happen is you will careen off the walls with the horribly laggy controls until someone either blinds you and bashes your head in. In either case, you get to look at a black screen until you finally die.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Vib Rib posted:

Either way, the AI will probably be lynched by the crew.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Slappy Moose posted:

No, you can't kill people at all. It's Asimov laws: First and foremost, do no harm to humans, even if they are Hitler.

By allowing a Hitler to survive the AI/robot is violating the first rule by allowing human beings to come to harm through inaction. That's what sets up the implied "zeroth law" that humanity is more important than a human.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

MisterOblivious posted:

By allowing a Hitler to survive the AI/robot is violating the first rule by allowing human beings to come to harm through inaction. That's what sets up the implied "zeroth law" that humanity is more important than a human.

poo poo, all I know is this guy, wearing a bloody butt on his head and armed with a lightsaber and a bottle full of piss and vodka, is beating that guy, wearing nothing but a pair of rubber boots and a clown wig, to death with a disarmed nuke in the chapel while the rest of the crew gets high and shoots it out with a bunch of assholes in red who blew up the bridge and killed the captain's cat. There is an alien somewhere eating all the assistants and some gently caress keeps keeps emagging all the cyborgs and setting fires in engineering. And while all that is going on, some jerk keeps yelling at me to let them in without saying where they are.

gently caress all of 'em.

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 9, 2013

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
Ha, I once actually made a very similar mistake on goonstation.

Like a lot of people who play SS13, I often play under the same character name (Zack Mild) from round to round, rarely changing it. One night I was particularly bored because I hadn't been randomly chosen to be a traitor all night, so I was half paying attention to the game while watching The West Wing.

Next new round, I get the idea to change all my job preferences to Head positions and play as "Josh Lyman", figuring I would amuse myself with a round as a gimmick character; getting the other heads to do walk-and-talks through corridors, quoting lines from the show, etc.

Round starts, and hot drat if I don't roll Captain AND traitor. The gimmick idea was immediately forgotten, because being a Captain traitor is essentially SS13 easy-mode, and I finally had the chance to cut loose and pull off some wicked traitory deeds worthy of this thread.

First things first, I decided to subvert the AI to my will. I waltzed in to the AI upload chamber without even bothering to spawn any traitor gear, and changed the AI's laws in a very clever way. I did the standard "*name* is the only human" law that is common for traitors, but I also instructed the AI to pretend to obey his standard Asmiovian three laws in order to delay suspicion. And finally, in what I thought was a brilliant bit of subterfuge, I changed the AI's name to something like PARTYTRON, and instructed it to encourage partying.

It's not unheard of in a round for a Captain to upload silly gimmick laws to the AI as non-traitors, and as long as they are not too distracting most people just roll their eyes and ignore the strange AI behaviour. My plan was to use the party AI gimmick as an excuse for being in the upload chamber and also to distract the crew as I committed crimes with the AI's assistance.

Triumphant, I uploaded the laws. I waited alone, locked in the upload chamber, and after a second or two the player playing as the AI noticed the law change. The radio receivers in the AI chamber that connect to the radio chat network clicked off, and it was just me and the newly christened PARTYTRON.

"Soooo.." he said, "who is that? Are you Zack Mild?"

"shhhiiiiiiiii" is all I managed to reply back as I scrambled back to the Upload console, trying to rapidly click through my inventory for the Freeform Law Module to fix my mistake. Alas, the turrets reactivated and switched to lethal, and poor Captain Josh Lyman was soon laser swiss cheese on the floor of the now bolted and electrified upload chamber.

No one wondered where the Captain had gone too.

The crew was a little curious why PARTYTRON and his group of blood thirsty party-bots spent the rest of the round electrifying the doors to departments that weren't partying hard enough, and slaughtering crew that refused to be rounded up to the bar for immediate and mandatory fun having.
Unfortunately, the cyborgs idea of fun was stoving in peoples heads with harm intent fire extinguishers while yelling PARTY ON.

Zohn fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 9, 2013

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

:allears: This is hilarious. Thank you for your contribution to this thread, and to the entertainment of everyone in this thread.

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013
http://pastebin.com/ce773iKS

And for your delectation, this paste in which a minor grief reveals an animal-loving apologist.

The original action that lead to it was a fellow goon player in Star Trek Online running in circles on a station known of as Deep Space 9 and dropping a single disco ball item, which causes those in the imediate area to dance.

Goat Pillager fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Sep 9, 2013

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

That terrible furry posted:

[Tell] Spirit@Admiral_Ghost_000: I WILL NOT BE BOUND BY THE CHAINS OF HUMANITY!

[Tell] Spirit@Admiral_Ghost_000: I am subject to the laws of this country, not to your BELIEFS!

This is part of his defense of bestiality and his furry deviancy. All of this thanks to Disco. :psyduck:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Goat Pillager posted:

http://pastebin.com/ce773iKS

And for your delectation, this paste in which a minor grief reveals an animal-loving apologist.

The original action that lead to it was a fellow goon player in Star Trek Online running in circles on a station known of as Deep Space 9 and dropping a single disco ball item, which causes those in the imediate area to dance.

I am having a hard time believing that real people actually type like this, and yes I am referring to both sides. Imagine two dapper gentlemen chatting over tea, then replace their certainly stylish accoutrements with jorts and fedoras and Aspergers, and also make the topic bestiality. That is literally the only way I can picture it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Zohn posted:

First things first, I decided to subvert the AI to my will. I waltzed in to the AI upload chamber without even bothering to spawn any traitor gear, and changed the AI's laws in a very clever way. I did the standard "*name* is the only human" law that is common for traitors

Just making sure I get this - you actually put in your old name and not the name you were using that round, right? That's why the AI killed you?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Control Volume posted:

I am having a hard time believing that real people actually type like this, and yes I am referring to both sides. Imagine two dapper gentlemen chatting over tea, then replace their certainly stylish accoutrements with jorts and fedoras and Aspergers, and also make the topic bestiality. That is literally the only way I can picture it.

It's the dog's bollocks! :britain:

In all seriousness, politeness costs nothing, and occasionally riles someone up even further. Plus you get to claim moral high ground when your opposite number is doing the text equivalent of hopping up and down screaming.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Dareon posted:

In all seriousness, politeness costs nothing, and occasionally riles someone up even further. Plus you get to claim moral high ground when your opposite number is doing the text equivalent of hopping up and down screaming.

This, it looks odd when you see it like this, but it's SOP for the STO goons. And it can't be overstated just how loving mad being polite can make these chimps. It can make the difference between 'welp, I did a thing' to 'holy loving lol, you guys gotta see this! :haw:'

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Dareon posted:

It's the dog's bollocks! :britain:

I'm British. That's not politeness, that's the awful WELL GOOD SIR "logical" speech used by dickwaving nerds desperate to show off how "classy" and clever they are. No-one talks like that outside of the internet.

Both of these people are as terrible as each other, and one of them is a dog-fucker.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Guys I'm so british look i'm wearing a top hat and say "good sir" :rolleye:

e: basically what Clamps said.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Error 404 posted:

This, it looks odd when you see it like this, but it's SOP for the STO goons. And it can't be overstated just how loving mad being polite can make these chimps. It can make the difference between 'welp, I did a thing' to 'holy loving lol, you guys gotta see this! :haw:'

Same thing with Starfleet Dental in Guild Wars 2: Being polite just drives some people up the wall. (Especially while griefing them).

Story time!

So awhile ago Guild Wars 2 (GW2) released a patch that added extra and specific loot bags to Champion monster. Before Champion monster where annoying as hell monster that had a ton of health, took multiple people to take down, and in general where just not worth doing. So of course Champion farming zergs started up. Now GW2 is interesting in that its final zone is completely player driven and run by dynamic events. At first the zone is completely taken over by the Risen (undead) and its up to the player to take back each section one by one. If they don't (or no bothers to defend a fort/temple/etc) it can be taken over by the Risen the NPC/players are pushed back. What some players figured out is that the most efficient Champion spawning/farming could be done by failing a event, forcing a bunch of Champions to spawn, complete a few side events, and fail the major event over and over again.

Enter Starfleet Dental: The Hero's of Tyria!

SFD would show up, purposely finish the event, and offer polite help and encouragement. Doing so would shut down the farm between 3 to 5 hours depending on how far SFD pushed. All pics/texts are from Visidan:

quote:

This isn’t an account issue but I’m not sure where to go with this. There is this Guild called Starfleet Dental on Magumma and there sole purpose is to troll farming and other guild events. The Forstgorge Sound champ farm train is completely legal and not ruining any other events or stopping events from completing, yet they purposely come and ruin the rotation, I have heard about them griefing other guild during there guild missions as well.

I was saying in map chat how I’m going to switch servers cause I have had enough of there trolling and griefing and they then told me that they would follow me to what ever server i transfer to. If that’s not giefing me know what is. I just want to play the game the way I want to play it with out being harassed by some guild purposely made to grief and troll other players. That farm is not an exploit and not illegal by any means. You can clearly tell they are trolling for the sole reason to get a rise out of other players.

A-net players like this are ruining your game or at least the Maguuma server for other players. I don’t even know if anything can be done against them but come on it’s ruining my fun.

They even tried to get a few SFD people banned through mass reporting: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Mass-reporting-players-at-Shank-Anchorage/

All because SFD actually wanted to play the game how it was meant to be played.

McScumbag
Jun 30, 2012
FRONT LINE SOLDIER IN THE FIGHT FOR MEN'S RIGHTS

reddit 4 eva

Gorilla Salad posted:

Just making sure I get this - you actually put in your old name and not the name you were using that round, right? That's why the AI killed you?

That's what it looks like to me.

You'd be surprised how many times the AI goes on a mass murdering spree simply because someone misspells a name, or puts in 'Kill all Humans' instead of "Kill all Non-Humans'

Playing the AI: 99.9% bullshit whiny babies being mad because NO gently caress YOU YOU'RE AN ASSISTANT YOU DO NOT BELONG IN THE ARMORY, I AM NOT GOING TO OPEN THAT DOOR.

And then that loving assistant will call you rogue for not following your laws, even though Law 1 lets you refuse access to dangerous places. And then a lynch mob will form and bust into your core and never even check your laws because of that one chucklefuck saying you were rogue for the past hour.

But the other .1% of the time? Its pure amazing. This can be said of pretty much all of SS13's rounds. If you get a server that doesn't lag up (Goon and /tg/ are pretty smooth running now) then there is a small percentage of rounds where everything just lines up, and you have one of the best times ever in gaming. It can be something like running Clown Mart as the clown and everyone on station participating and stealing poo poo for you to put in the store, to some stupid captain freeforming the AI and releasing it to have its own rampage, or just being that bad rear end engineer that dodges Syndicate bullets and bombs chucked his way, to grab that loving nuke disc and run back to the shuttle with it while the escaped singularity sucks grills and glass and metal into your face, only for you to make it onto the shuttle and escape just as the singularity begins ripping parts off the shuttle.

Its almost like dwarf fortress, where dying can be part of the fun.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, sorry if that wasn't clear: when I wrote the one-human law, I accidentally used my regular name out of habit instead of the name I was actually playing that round as.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zohn posted:

Yeah, sorry if that wasn't clear: when I wrote the one-human law, I accidentally used my regular name out of habit instead of the name I was actually playing that round as.

You accidentally griefed yourself. Perfect.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

McScumbag posted:

But the other .1% of the time? Its pure amazing. This can be said of pretty much all of SS13's rounds. If you get a server that doesn't lag up (Goon and /tg/ are pretty smooth running now) then there is a small percentage of rounds where everything just lines up, and you have one of the best times ever in gaming. It can be something like running Clown Mart as the clown and everyone on station participating and stealing poo poo for you to put in the store, to some stupid captain freeforming the AI and releasing it to have its own rampage, or just being that bad rear end engineer that dodges Syndicate bullets and bombs chucked his way, to grab that loving nuke disc and run back to the shuttle with it while the escaped singularity sucks grills and glass and metal into your face, only for you to make it onto the shuttle and escape just as the singularity begins ripping parts off the shuttle.

Its almost like dwarf fortress, where dying can be part of the fun.

I had a round where I rolled non-traitor miner. It wasn't on my choices and I probably only got it because it was a pretty full round. I had resigned myself to a boring round poking at rocks or loving off to die in space, but then something happened that gave me a purpose. The Captain ordered EVA bolted. For those who don't play, EVA is where the station keeps its space suits. The Captain had essentially decided to forbid anyone from going into space because he was being a metagaming rear end in a top hat(having a spacesuit is pretty useful if you're a traitor). Even after a bunch of people called him out on it, he wouldn't budge. I knew then what I had to do.

At the time, other than EVA, the only suits on the station were the Captain's personal suit and suits for Miners, who have to go into space to do their job. Miners also have access to a machine that can make more suits out of fabric, in case they lose their suits. I decided that if the Captain didn't want anyone to have a suit, I was going to make sure that literally everyone got a suit because gently caress him. I mined, stole, and salvaged every single unit of fabric I could for the machine, and then got to work. I made dozens of spacesuits and loaded them into a crate, then set out for the main station. Everyone got a suit. Everyone. I ran into a changeling in full Abomination form, rampaging through the halls and eating crewmembers. I gave him a suit, and then gave suits to the security staff who were fighting him. Everyone paused to put on or pack up their suits, then continued fighting while I continued my mission. I broke into secure areas in order to give the people inside spacesuits. I sat in front of arrivals, tossing spacesuits to everyone who showed up. At the end of the round, when the shuttle left, there were 20+ people on board and every single one of them was wearing a spacesuit.

Also the Captain ended up getting spaced at some point, which is ironic.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Uba Stij posted:

You accidentally griefed yourself. Perfect.
It's really refreshing to see this phrase used literally, rather than as yet another "playing [X] is griefing yourself! :haw:" comment. The AI stories are like the cream of the already impressive crop.
SS13 being so perfect for griefing is its downfall as well, though. A lot of times when you play everyone wants to be "that guy" with the hilarious griefing story whether or not they're the traitor, so everyone's got swinging toolboxes and locker welding and banana throwing and open serial killing.

SS13: When everyone's "that guy"... no one is.

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill

Dauntasa posted:

I ran into a changeling in full Abomination form, rampaging through the halls and eating crew members. I gave him a suit, and then gave suits to the security staff who were fighting him. Everyone paused to put on or pack up their suits, then continued fighting while I continued my mission.

This kind of thing is why I really love SS13. I need to make a new Byond account and start playing again.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
SS13 has segways for the security, the nice thing about the segways is that when you hit someone you end up flying up over the handlebars and are down, and so are they. The security can work together to corner criminal scum with segways and bring them into the station by using this (but it's really terrible).

Someone decided to reskin the segway as a cat, so that you could have riding cats. One round devolved into a competition of the cat riding vikings all vying for the title of viking king by showing their prowess in the riding cat battle of the century.

I had just gotten traitor as an electrician that round, and sadly sometimes when you get traitor on a gimmick round like that your turn as the rear end in a top hat gets ruined because people are randomly exploding or all have superpowers, etc. I was lucky in that it was a fairly tame round with dudes just riding around with power axes, beards, viking helmets, and meowing segways that made them rocket around at a high speed.

So the electrician in a normal round can scan items in the station like vending machines, computers, thermal goggles, tasers, and other things like that to copy them and make blueprints to replicate them in his shop. Some things like the CRUSHER in disposal is off limits because people like me originally made copies of the crusher and would crusher people in hallways while we weren't traitors. Of course, traitor electricians CAN buy a scanner that is able to scan the crusher, so as soon as I heard that a race was going down I quickly made arrangements.

While the space cat vikings were busy constructing their obstacle course, welding some doors shut and bolting others to create their race course, and adding in various hazards like lasers and electrical death walls, I was busy making 3 crushers. Just in the nick of time I was able to finish the three of them and set them down in the middle of the course.

Now right now you're going, "But Commoners, couldn't they just stop and not run into the crushers?" Well sometimes SS13 is hard to control, but this time I outwitted those smart players with proper robusting skills. I took a prototype cloaking generator, which traitors usually just use to hide stuff in rooms. Instead I used this generator to cloak my three crushers and all the gore that they would create when someone would ride a cat into them.

About five minutes later the viking race started with about 30 people participating, and another five off doing their own thing. Twenty seven of the thirty cat riding vikings drove directly into the crusher wall. All 27 of them looked like they had skipped time and space, going into nothingness and suddenly vanishing. They were a pile of gibs so large that if you right clicked the squares in the immediate area you were out of comission for about fifteen seconds because of the item lag. What was originally a voice comms full of viking taunts and poems about manliness suddenly went all but silent, but my job still wasn't done.

I continued to stalk around the station kidnapping the survivors with a fire extinguisher full of fire, and would throw them into the crusher. New joiners would come in and walk immediately into the crusher not knowing the better. Soon enough it was just me and the AI, because I also pushed the cyborgs into the crusher. At least that's what I thought until the viking king came crashing down the hallway trying to kill me with his super axe that was a prize for winning the viking cat race.

He died when I threw a bucket of water on the ground and he slipped into the crusher.

I ended up succeeding in escaping alone and assassinating all of my targets.

The best thing is that people thought it was an admin that set up the invisible crushers in the hallway up until I was monologuing in the shuttle.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 9, 2013

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Commoners posted:

The best thing is that people thought it was an admin that set up the invisible crushers in the hallway up until I was monologuing in the shuttle.

Never ever confess what you did, or tell anyone what you did while ingame. Doing stuff like that tends to backfire horribly.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

MisterOblivious posted:

On goonstation the part about inaction was removed because it would lead to stuff like the AI obsessively hunting the station for anyone doing anything remotely suspicious and bolting them into the room then calling security, which was no fun at all because with all the bad guys caught and/or dead not much happens.

SugarAddict posted:

Never ever confess what you did, or tell anyone what you did while ingame. Doing stuff like that tends to backfire horribly.
Bragging about your accomplishments with only ghosts left to listen is the best part, though :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Infinite Monkeys posted:

On goonstation the part about inaction was removed because it would lead to stuff like the AI obsessively hunting the station for anyone doing anything remotely suspicious and bolting them into the room then calling security, which was no fun at all because with all the bad guys caught and/or dead not much happens.
Yeah that change is seriously one of the best changes to AI and I'd argue goonstation as a whole for a while now. Cos on the opposite side of things it also eliminates Joe Blow's complaints when you bolt down a dude with a c-saber who has already murdered 10 people and chased Joe Blow into a closet.

Yes, Joe Blow, I WILL sacrifice you to force the traitor to show the slightest spark of creativity and forethought before he gets to butcher the entire station at 15 minutes in for the 80th time this week. The other two dozen crew thank you for your nobleness.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
When I played AI, at least after the first few times, I tried to turn a blind eye to a lot of the treacherous shenanigans. At worst, I might make vague statements about someone requiring medical assistance in engineering (after the tratior had killed half the engineers and was in the process of releasing the singularity). I did that a lot as captain too, if only to spite the try-hards who did nothing but play security or detective each round (or tried to do that job anyway, regardless of their actual assignment) and did nothing but powergame

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Slanderer posted:

When I played AI, at least after the first few times, I tried to turn a blind eye to a lot of the treacherous shenanigans. At worst, I might make vague statements about someone requiring medical assistance in engineering (after the tratior had killed half the engineers and was in the process of releasing the singularity). I did that a lot as captain too, if only to spite the try-hards who did nothing but play security or detective each round (or tried to do that job anyway, regardless of their actual assignment) and did nothing but powergame

Seriously, the best way to play as the AI in SS13 is to be either: A completely sarcastic rear end in a top hat about everything, or just overly cheery but oblivious.

Once there was a changeling (basically a big monster than can take the shape of a person) roaming the station. I found him in a ventilation duct, eating a corpse, but instead of screaming "TOM THOMPSON IS THE CHANGELING HE'S IN THE VENTS KILLING A GUY!" which would have completely ruined the changelings chance of success (and the station's chance at any fun), I declared "Super duper suspicious activity in the vents!" which gave the changeling a chance to escape and keep the round interesting. Then I happened to "coincidentally" lose track of him by going to make sure the engine was online, as per the Captain's orders. When people asked me what it was that was in there, I just replied, "Something totally spooky, you guys!" and left it at that. I checked back to the same vent a few minutes later, and there was blood and bodies all over the place. Oops! :yum:

It's super boring when the AI is a power hungry shitlord that's hell bent on enforcing rules as hard as they can and locking anyone suspicious in a room, but it's so much fun when they follow their laws as sarcastically as possible or just go along with whatever funny poo poo the traitor is doing.

Slappy Moose fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 10, 2013

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
The flip side is playing the AI as the world most awesome best buddy to whoever is being the biggest dick that round. Everyone is inevitably doing something illegal, and announcing over shipwide radio that "you totally have a cool <insert traitor device>" or "sorry to bother you Dave but I'd rather you didn't break into EVA" is an easy way to passive-aggressively ruin someones day.

It should only be used as a nuclear option though because as already noted, calling out the traitors prematurly generally leads to boring rounds where nobody dies and you end up roleplaying a janitor or whatnot, which is often as terrible and unfun as it sounds, and even worse as the AI because you are treated as little more than one of those sensors that automatically opens the doors at the supermarket when there isn't some catastrophe that needs to be dealt with.

SS13 rule of thumb: The traitor is always right.

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 10, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Man, all I can imagine is if SS13 had a UI like Terraria or even Minecraft. It's a testament to the game's creativity and diversity that it has all these great stories and so much entertainment in spite of its interface and engine. A Space Station 13 in an engine that's actually fun to control is basically the holy grail of griefing at this point.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Slappy Moose posted:

Seriously, the best way to play as the AI in SS13 is to be either: A completely sarcastic rear end in a top hat about everything, or just overly cheery but oblivious.
When I'm AI I usually spend most of my downtime trying to think up insulting euphemisms for 'human' so I can address the crew. It turns an otherwise uninteresting round fun when people start insulting you back.

For some reason 'protein stick' is particularly effective at getting a response out of someone. I have no idea why.

Yeah generally you should leave the traitor alone though, especially as AI, because they're the source of all the best stories. Seriously, if you go through SS13.txt like 90% of the stories there wouldn't have been possible without traitors. But that said, a traitor that just orders a c-saber and starts the round by killing 3 dudes with a taser in one hand and the saber in the other doesn't really deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Man, all I can imagine is if SS13 had a UI like Terraria or even Minecraft. It's a testament to the game's creativity and diversity that it has all these great stories and so much entertainment in spite of its interface and engine. A Space Station 13 in an engine that's actually fun to control is basically the holy grail of griefing at this point.

From what I understand, BYOND's creator is shocked that SS13 even runs in his engine. It makes me wonder why BYOND was even chosen as a platform. Perhaps the creator just wanted a simple roleplaying game and he kept adding feature after feature after feature...

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I witnessed an unintentional SS13 grief last week when someone decided to stuff 500 potatoes from botany into the hydraulic mail chute. The amount of items in there caused the server to choke horribly and it got to where the shuttle arrival countdown timer was frozen at 10 minutes and OOC chat was enabled.

quote:

OOC: MaximusRex: Me and my fellow botanist.....we loaded like 500 potatoes into the mailchute and mailed them to info.

Unfortunately because I was on the other end of the chute I couldn't see the fruits of Maximus Rex and his botany crew's labors because of the massive lag which made it take about 10 minutes to actually move me one step. Had this not lagged the server though, 500 potatoes, cannabis seeds and a chainsaw would have shot out of the chute and possibly cause injuries/gibbing.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Segmentation Fault posted:

From what I understand, BYOND's creator is shocked that SS13 even runs in his engine. It makes me wonder why BYOND was even chosen as a platform. Perhaps the creator just wanted a simple roleplaying game and he kept adding feature after feature after feature...

Exadv1 (The original guy) took a break after a year or so of dev time. Back then it was incredibly simple without any of the lighting, atmospherics, heat simulations, etc etc etc that it has now. When he went away for the mentioned break some of the people he had picked up to help work on the code continued to work on it. The coders had a falling out and had the project branch. One of those branches that was worked on made it into goon hands and Goon Station 13 was born. There is a bunch of extra drama, but yeah, it wasn't meant to be anything like what it became.

E: And it should be mentioned that very little of that original code survives. Just the premise.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Segmentation Fault posted:

IIRC it was originally more a brother game to Murder Mansion, which is another BYOND game that's actually kind of fun in a clunky way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I used to make booby traps at the hydroponics or kitchen windows by redoing the piping and I'd load the garbage chutes up with glasses. Whenever someone would come to the window to ask for something I'd activate the chute while talking to them. Suddenly a floor tile would fly up from under their feet and they'd be shotgunned by 100 pieces of broken glass and watermelons or whatever else I could fit in the chute.

I'd then load the body up with the rest of the stuff so the next victim would be hit by a series of rotting corpses and skeletons of previous victims.

• Locked thread