Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Sir Davey posted:

Xylobot is now a virtuoso. Thank you all for your support and feedback. I have a few other videos up my sleeves, so make sure to subscribe!

Hahaha awesome! Great work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winty
Sep 22, 2007

Sup guys, I've been working on a thing to make cool fractals. It basically simulates recursive video feedback, like when you point a camera at its own monitor. It serves absolutely no purpose other than producing trippy images like these

My goal was real-time simulation, so I'm using OpenCL to run the whole thing in parallel on your graphics card. Because of that it'll probably only work if you have a real GPU and aren't on a netbook or something, but it's pretty drat fast. You can start it from your browser, check it http://fletcherd.github.io/recur/
e: And yeah I could only test it on like 3 machines, so if it crashes horribly for you, let me know please

Winty fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 4, 2013

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

ynohtna posted:

drat, did I miss the L-system love-in? I did a half-day hack at a Music Hack Day a few years back which produced a server-side L-system/context-free-grammar for generating 2 channel techno/electro loop variations seeded by input words.

http://techno-is-the-word.appspot.com/

You're gonna need to use Chrome for this, thanks to the non-standard nature of the Web Audio spec at the time. I did code a small update which adds Safari compatibility and changes the browser URL so good words can be bookmarked but have yet to get around to deploying it. Curse of the speed hack: once the deadline is over all energy has been spent.

Awww yeah, just looked at this and it didn't get near enough love. Neat as heck.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Harik posted:

http://www.newhavendisplay.com/nhd31225664ucy2-p-3537.html

The current numbers are actually freemono, 4-bit bitmaps. Right now they're just raw, but I'll probably implement basic RLE to crush the size enormously.

Here's (lovely) video of the different functions in operation. It's an alarm/sensor thing with a physical key-lock to prevent tampering with settings. Beyond that I can't really get into the actual use. Left is the (faked) signal it's detecting, right is the current warning point. In maintenance mode, it's got minimum trippoint, max trippoint, locked trippoint (0 is unlocked) and the temporary "change the fake signal level".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH64A81S2Ak

Edit: Fixed display link, it's the 3.12" model

This is really great, I love the look and feel of whatever this panel does. :allears: The Lsystem stuff is blowing my mind as well, this is one of my favorite threads.

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 4, 2013

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

untilted posted:

Sup guys, I've been working on a thing to make cool fractals. It basically simulates recursive video feedback, like when you point a camera at its own monitor. It serves absolutely no purpose other than producing trippy images like these

My goal was real-time simulation, so I'm using OpenCL to run the whole thing in parallel on your graphics card. Because of that it'll probably only work if you have a real GPU and aren't on a netbook or something, but it's pretty drat fast. You can start it from your browser, check it http://fletcherd.github.io/recur/
e: And yeah I could only test it on like 3 machines, so if it crashes horribly for you, let me know please

I have a Radeon 5850, and it crashes instantly.

"OpenCL code could not be compiled on this machine. Compiler output follows: OCL5518.tmp.cl, line 168: error: more than one instance of overloaded function "pow" matches the argument list: (...) float area = pow(r,2.0)*acos(d/r);".

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

untilted posted:

Where can I get the presets from the examples?

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

untilted posted:

This made my computer sound like it was about to take off. Is there a "limit to 60fps" option somewhere?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

NFX posted:

I have a Radeon 5850, and it crashes instantly.

Radeon 6870, crashes instantly too, but no error message.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009

untilted posted:

I get an error validating the certificate, but that might be an issue with my java install.
Error log here: http://pastebin.com/kZM4kRgE

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Sir Davey posted:

Xylobot is now a virtuoso. Thank you all for your support and feedback. I have a few other videos up my sleeves, so make sure to subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpeOZfV-MII&hd=1
This is awesome, but still needs the spring mounted head with googly eyes before it can go viral. Literally, all you need is a swing arm at the top that kicks back and forth based on some fraction of BPM (+ googly eyes / goofy head).

Winty
Sep 22, 2007

Haha okay, good thing I asked. One of the fun things about OpenCL is it's compiled on your GPU at runtime, and different GPUs apparently have slightly different implementations of things like pow()! So, I fixed that, and it's also limited to 60FPS by default now. But I haven't figured out why that guy gets a different thing on startup, it's supposed to start with the purple spiral, that's weird.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
I've been playing with machine learning. I made a Twitter bot which scrapes NASDAQ and dumps a bad guess.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

untilted posted:

Haha okay, good thing I asked. One of the fun things about OpenCL is it's compiled on your GPU at runtime, and different GPUs apparently have slightly different implementations of things like pow()! So, I fixed that, and it's also limited to 60FPS by default now. But I haven't figured out why that guy gets a different thing on startup, it's supposed to start with the purple spiral, that's weird.

Crashes on my dual 7670s with error code FFFFFC18. Does it use double precision floats in OpenCL? I know some AMD chips have problems with that, but are fine with single precision stuff.

Edit: Just read your kernel on GitHub - you don't seem to be using doubles anywhere. :(

One Eye Open fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 5, 2013

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

untilted posted:

I cannot get it to work with either GPU on my system. I either get error code FFFFFC18 for my nvidia gpu or I get
code:
 :188:22: error: invalid digit 'f' in octal constant 
float sum=0f;
:194:32: error: invalid digit 'f' in octal constant 
float entry=0f;
with my Intel GPU.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Shalinor posted:

This is awesome, but still needs the spring mounted head with googly eyes before it can go viral. Literally, all you need is a swing arm at the top that kicks back and forth based on some fraction of BPM (+ googly eyes / goofy head).

But it already has a face

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Jo posted:

I've been playing with machine learning. I made a Twitter bot which scrapes NASDAQ and dumps a bad guess.

This is cool and if you have any details of what you are doing behind the scenes I would be interested to hear them.

To be on the safe side I'd make sure you don't put anything on there about anything you have a position in.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

unixbeard posted:

This is cool and if you have any details of what you are doing behind the scenes I would be interested to hear them.

You're going to be disappointed. It's a stupid simple thing. It starts by pulling stock price data, then for each company randomly samples tweets with relevant words, converts them to ngrams (order two), and attempts linear regression with the term frequency as the input matrix. For foreign terms (most of them, given the sparsity of the matrix), it pulls a number out of its rear end. The volume of the last trade is the 'confidence' until I stop being l lazy.

unixbeard posted:

To be on the safe side I'd make sure you don't put anything on there about anything you have a position in.

:ohdear: I hadn't thought about that. Maybe I'll have to trade on NYSE instead.

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

Sir Davey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpeOZfV-MII&hd=1

Loving this. How dynamic is it? Does it just have a different midi track for each arm or something and is smart enough to perform, assuming the tracks are feasible? I want one :|

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Jo posted:

Counting down the days until someone uses this and actually ends up making fuckloads of money.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Jo posted:

You're going to be disappointed. It's a stupid simple thing. It starts by pulling stock price data, then for each company randomly samples tweets with relevant words, converts them to ngrams (order two), and attempts linear regression with the term frequency as the input matrix. For foreign terms (most of them, given the sparsity of the matrix), it pulls a number out of its rear end. The volume of the last trade is the 'confidence' until I stop being l lazy.

That is neat, and hey if it works :getin:

There was a researcher that found a predictive relationship between tweets and stock performance, they started up a hedge fund but ended up folding after a month and provide an analytic service instead. http://venturebeat.com/2012/05/28/twitter-fueled-hedge-fund-bit-the-dust-but-it-actually-worked/

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

MarketPsych does this too, you can add on sentiment analysis and compare social media (twitter, facebook, and thousands of others) with standard news sources.

There are a couple of large companies who do this integration for governments and large organisations doing whatever. Only one I can think of right now is GNIP but plenty of other who also provide various services above such as corporate brand social ratings.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

The October issue of Linux Magazine just hit the stands, and the article that I wrote on my research work performing static and dynamic analysis of malware ended up being the primary cover article:

In the article, I mention my DECAF tool (Dynamic Executable Code Analysis Framework), which is a platform that I have been developing for the past two years during my PhD research. It allows you to perform virtual machine introspection by running an OS inside a virtual machine and watching each memory access performed by the guest OS. You can use this to track untrusted data as it flows throughout the entire user and kernel space of the guest OS to better understand how malware exploits systems.

THE PLATFORM MASTER
Jun 3, 2008

This is kind of a lovely screenshot since it's just Visual Studio's output window, but my code does something! For the past few weeks I've been trying to write a client for Dota 2's SourceTV networking system. There's probably more than a few more mysteries hiding, but I think I know how to do the rest of the hard stuff.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

THE PLATFORM MASTER posted:

This is kind of a lovely screenshot since it's just Visual Studio's output window, but my code does something! For the past few weeks I've been trying to write a client for Dota 2's SourceTV networking system. There's probably more than a few more mysteries hiding, but I think I know how to do the rest of the hard stuff.

Can you describe what "Dota 2's SourceTV networking system" is to someone who's never played Dota 2?

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

pokeyman posted:

Can you describe what "Dota 2's SourceTV networking system" is to someone who's never played Dota 2?

I play(ed) Dota2 and have no idea what it is.

Not trying to detract from the program just telling pokeyman that he isn't alone.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
I think SourceTV is what broadcasts live games for others to watch.

THE PLATFORM MASTER
Jun 3, 2008

pokeyman posted:

Oh hmm that is kind of important. When you play a Source game (such as Dota 2) there's obviously a server and then everyone uses their client to connect to it. SourceTV is used when you want to watch other people play, and is basically the same protocol except you don't actually play on the server.

I'm implementing my own client for SourceTV. I just got the network layer working well (handling things like messages split across packets, reliable messages over UDP, compression) and am working on doing the required handshakes. That screenshot shows a particular phase of the connection process where the server tells me to print something and create a bunch of things locally.

I'm quite a ways from actually having anything look cool, but eventually I'll probably have a web client that can connect to and "watch" any Dota 2 game (or TF2 or w/e). Watch being showing a map and player icons or something.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

reliable messages over UDP

This boggles my mind every time I hear it. Why?

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC

Suspicious Dish posted:

If you need reliability but not ordering (or perhaps reliability but only sometimes), it can greatly reduce latency.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I'm quite a ways from actually having anything look cool, but eventually I'll probably have a web client that can connect to and "watch" any Dota 2 game (or TF2 or w/e). Watch being showing a map and player icons or something.

Are you using features that Valve have deliberately exposed? I feel sorry for the DotaBuff guys that spent a lot of time building their system and then having Valve go "whoops you shouldn't be able to access that" and cutting it off. Would this allow you to provide minimap access etc to games that require a ticket to view?

THE PLATFORM MASTER
Jun 3, 2008

NtotheTC posted:

Are you using features that Valve have deliberately exposed? I feel sorry for the DotaBuff guys that spent a lot of time building their system and then having Valve go "whoops you shouldn't be able to access that" and cutting it off. Would this allow you to provide minimap access etc to games that require a ticket to view?

No, none of this is exposed by Valve (which is why it's hard). If I do this right, my program will be completely indistinguishable from everyone else is who is just watching in game. For the ticket stuff, it almost certainly would require just buying a ticket for the account I'm logging into Steam with. As long as I can connect to the game, I can pull out whatever information I feel like.

The Dotabuff guys are kind of different from me, they were
a) downloading hundreds of gigabytes (terabytes maybe?) of replays a day from Valve
b) trying to expose data that Valve very clearly wants hidden
c) trying to make money

I'm just doing this for fun. Hopefully Valve doesn't get angry.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

multicast or in the case of QUIC no head-of-line blocking for concurrent data streams on a single socket.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Oh hmm that is kind of important. When you play a Source game (such as Dota 2) there's obviously a server and then everyone uses their client to connect to it. SourceTV is used when you want to watch other people play, and is basically the same protocol except you don't actually play on the server.

I'm implementing my own client for SourceTV. I just got the network layer working well (handling things like messages split across packets, reliable messages over UDP, compression) and am working on doing the required handshakes. That screenshot shows a particular phase of the connection process where the server tells me to print something and create a bunch of things locally.

That's really cool! Reverse engineering a network protocol is always fun, and this sounds pretty handy too.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I'm trying to teach myself Python and music theory at the same time. At this point I just have a CLI app.
code:
A Minor
['A', 'B', 'C', 'D', 'E', 'F', 'G']
Bb Minor
['Bb', 'C', 'Db', 'Eb', 'F', 'Gb', 'Ab']
A# Minor
['A#', 'B#', 'C#', 'D#', 'E#', 'F#', 'G#']
B Minor
['B', 'C#', 'D', 'E', 'F#', 'G', 'A']
Cb Minor (theoretical)
['Cb', 'Db', 'Ebb', 'Fb', 'Gb', 'Abb', 'Bbb']
C Minor
['C', 'D', 'Eb', 'F', 'G', 'Ab', 'Bb']
B# Minor (theoretical)
['B#', 'C##', 'D#', 'E#', 'F##', 'G#', 'A#']
...snip...
G# Minor
['G#', 'A#', 'B', 'C#', 'D#', 'E', 'F#']
---
A Dorian
['A', 'B', 'C', 'D', 'E', 'F#', 'G']
Bb Dorian
['Bb', 'C', 'Db', 'Eb', 'F', 'G', 'Ab']
...and it goes on an on...
Basically, give it a note and a mode and it gives you the scale, whether it is theoretical and the midi note numbers (not shown). The test app is just going through all the modes and printing the scales for all possible key names.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Uploaded this to complain about tint colors, might as well post here!

New app: TC-Data is a MIDI / OSC controller, and I've spent tons of time redoing the loading and patch organizing view. One detail is that the whole app will change color based on the user's preferred performance colors.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

lord funk posted:

Uploaded this to complain about tint colors, might as well post here!

New app: TC-Data is a MIDI / OSC controller, and I've spent tons of time redoing the loading and patch organizing view. One detail is that the whole app will change color based on the user's preferred performance colors.

I have no idea what any of that means, but it sure looks awesome! D'you have a video of it running?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Tres Burritos posted:

I have no idea what any of that means, but it sure looks awesome! D'you have a video of it running?

You can check out a video of it's sibling app, TC-11 here: https://vimeo.com/66472167 I don't have a video of this one yet; still a ways to go.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

lord funk posted:

You can check out a video of it's sibling app, TC-11 here: https://vimeo.com/66472167 I don't have a video of this one yet; still a ways to go.

Thats cool as hell mate, shame I don't have an ipad. Are all those different patches done with one synth or is it a different synth for each gui bit?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Blue Screen Error posted:

Thats cool as hell mate, shame I don't have an ipad. Are all those different patches done with one synth or is it a different synth for each gui bit?

One synth. You can map any of the touch controls (distance, angle, position, device motion, etc.) to any of the synth parameters.

The data is so rich that people want to control other things with it, which is why I'm making TC-Data. You'll be able to play other iOS synths, any MIDI synth, or send OSC to a computer for controlling lighting rigs / animations / 3D models, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

lord funk posted:

The data is so rich that people want to control other things with it, which is why I'm making TC-Data.

Also because it looks like something out of Iron Man or Minority Report.