Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Argentina probably have a solid shot at winning the Cup, don't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

cisneros posted:

Both Colombia and Ecuador are pretty bad, yet they're going to the world cup.
edit: By the way, Peru should really try the altitude scam, Ecuador used to play at sea level on the best stadium in the country, with about 50% more capacity, and the only reason they switched to Quito was because the new president was from there and also the federation owned the stadium, but it worked, it even switched the local league champions to the altitude cities for about a decade.

We tried it and our own players couldn't handle it. It is extremely treacherous, plus a player in the local league passed away a little while back. Eighteen years old.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/the_beautiful_blog/2013/07/peruvian-soccer-player-yair-clavijo-18-collapses-and-dies-during-game

Seems like the ambulance did not have a defibrillator. What gets me mad is that there is money to invest in these things, just no common sense/desire to actually make things better.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

Volkerball posted:

Argentina probably have a solid shot at winning the Cup, don't they?

They always do, then the cup starts and they go home crying.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Colombia have so many good players though. Do they have a poo poo coach that they win in spite of or something?

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Colombia have so many good players though. Do they have a poo poo coach that they win in spite of or something?

Pekerman is a pretty good coach. He took over from Bielsa as Argentinian coach in 06 and led them into the world cup.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I think they have internal problems or something. They were playing ridiculously well awhile back.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
The pressure on Brazil must be intense, anything short of winning the World Cup would be a failure for them, they are better than most teams but they aren't better than Germany, and that's the final I want to see, Brazil - Germany.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Weaponized Cum posted:

We tried it and our own players couldn't handle it. It is extremely treacherous, plus a player in the local league passed away a little while back. Eighteen years old.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/the_beautiful_blog/2013/07/peruvian-soccer-player-yair-clavijo-18-collapses-and-dies-during-game

Seems like the ambulance did not have a defibrillator. What gets me mad is that there is money to invest in these things, just no common sense/desire to actually make things better.

I guess it is too risky, Quito and Mexico City really are high enough to be annoying, but not enough to be too dangerous. Often, the difference ends up being having you best player in top form, Uruguay wouldn't be even close to the cup otherwise. Last game, Falcao played injured, and Ecuador's only 2 strikers were suspended and dead, and it showed.

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(

El Hefe posted:

The pressure on Brazil must be intense, anything short of winning the World Cup would be a failure for them, they are better than most teams but they aren't better than Germany, and that's the final I want to see, Brazil - Germany.

Brazil - Uruguay final with Uruguay winning. We are kings at upsetting Brazil and Argentina :smug:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
5th place plays against Jordan in the playoff, should be relatively easy for Uruguay or Ecuador. I wonder if they'll move the game somewhere else because of the Syrian war.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
If Bolivia beats Ecuador at home, Argentina and Colombia will qualify to Brazil their games.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Way to jinx it.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Maybe next match we'll even play with a defense!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1RE8kRWfm0

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Jo: great brazilian striker or greatest brazilian striker?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

joepinetree posted:

Jo: great brazilian striker or greatest brazilian striker?

I thought he was pretty decent last night? I mean the goal was a tap in but still. He created a lot of space for Neymar.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
He gets the jo-b done that's for sure.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

I thought he was pretty decent last night? I mean the goal was a tap in but still. He created a lot of space for Neymar.

I really like him, I just think he is funny because he has been so efficient even while people doubted him so much.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

Weaponized Cum posted:

He gets the jo-b done that's for sure.

Jo Jo Jo. :downsrim:

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Watching Boca/Quilmes. I've never seen so many missed chances on my life. Mostly by Boca who are winning 1:0

There's the second goal by Boca. They still have the terrace surge which is lovely and terrifying at the same time.

paddyboat fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 30, 2013

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Considering how bad they were playing last semester, this is an improvement. Next week it's the Superclasico at River Plate but without away fans.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You guys might appreciate an update on the State of The Brazilian Championship.

Cruzeiro is in first with an 11-point lead. Then there's 6 points between fourth and fifth. And 10 points between 5th and 16th.

It's boring.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Dias posted:

You guys might appreciate an update on the State of The Brazilian Championship.

Cruzeiro is in first with an 11-point lead. Then there's 6 points between fourth and fifth. And 10 points between 5th and 16th.

It's boring.

goal differential of 30 :stare:

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
River-Boca live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1vYcNWbYpQ

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
Cruzeiro are champions in Brazil. It's a great year for football in Minas Gerais. I couldn't care less, though.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Cruzeiro definitely deserved the championship, they have been amazing this year. Too bad it has been a terrible year to be a plastic Vasco supporter. I know they had/are having financial problems, but seems like selling Dedé to Cruzeiro was a terrible choice. Série B, here we come!
:negative:

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
Just make sure to take Fluminense along, so they can finally Pay the Série B with extreme prejudice by pulling a Botafogo and ending as runner-up.

professor muthafukkah
Feb 27, 2006

oh lord...
So the Brasilerão just finished, and Fluminense managed to get relegated. This puts it amongst the few clubs that won their league one year and got relegated the following. Congrats.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

professor muthafukkah posted:

So the Brasilerão just finished, and Fluminense managed to get relegated. This puts it amongst the few clubs that won their league one year and got relegated the following. Congrats.

Man that is incredible. I feel like this happens more often in South America since teams get torn apart by European clubs when they win anything and have to start over. So no Fla-Flu next year then.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
The Rio police are breathing a massive sigh of relief.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
There will still be a fla-flu next year, as they both still play in the state championship.

I got to say, as an Atletico Mineiro fan, that this is perfect karma: Fluminense won last year with some extremely questionable refereeing, and then this year Atletico is on its way to Morocco and Flu to the second division.

Hopefully this time Fluminense will get back to the 1st division through the front door, as opposed to extra field maneuvering*.

*For those who are unaware of the pro-Rio corruption in Brazilian soccer: Fluminense was relegated in 1996, but they changed the rules of the 1997 competition to allow them back in the 1st division. They were then relegated again in 1997, and then in 1998 they were relegated to the third division. They won the third division in 1999, but extra-field maneuvering made them jump straight from the 3rd division to the 1st division.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

joepinetree posted:

extremely questionable refereeing,
(...)
pro-Rio corruption in Brazilian soccer
(...)

Amazing. Even in victory, Atlético-MG fans are still whining babies.

The 1996 table turning was due to a match fixing scandal, where the head of the referee commission (and MG congressman candidate) was collecting money from clubs to help his election bid. The table turning ended up being used as a smokescreen to avoid further investigations into the matter (Since everybody was talking about the preposterous lack of relegation favoring fluminense, and forgetting about the fact that the presidents of Corinthians and Atlético-PR paid cash for a congressman to fix match results.

The 2000 table turning was about Botafogo and São Paulo player sandro hiroshi. Sandro Hiroshi was not registered as a São Paulo player, Botafogo complained about it and won the points of the match between them. These 3 judicially obtained points saved them from relegation, Gama-DF complained to the Commom Justice, everything became a mess, and to avoid any kind of commom judicial shenanigans, CBF refused to organize the 2000 national championship. Fluminense, Bahia, Juventude and América-MG were pulled up to the 1st division.

Those are not the only relegation scandals in the history of brazillian football. Gremio-RS was relegated in 1991, finished 9th in the 2nd division in 1993 and was pulled up to the 1st division in 1994. In 1986 Vasco failed to qualify to the 2nd round, so CBF decided to qualify it and add 3 more unrelated teams to the next round. In 1983, Santos failed to qualify to the 1st division, and was invited by CBF. The same thing happened to Vasco in 1984. The 2005 edition had 10 games replayed due to the Edilson match fix scandal, helping Corinthians win the championship.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Magrov posted:

Amazing. Even in victory, Atlético-MG fans are still whining babies.

The 1996 table turning was due to a match fixing scandal, where the head of the referee commission (and MG congressman candidate) was collecting money from clubs to help his election bid. The table turning ended up being used as a smokescreen to avoid further investigations into the matter (Since everybody was talking about the preposterous lack of relegation favoring fluminense, and forgetting about the fact that the presidents of Corinthians and Atlético-PR paid cash for a congressman to fix match results.

The 2000 table turning was about Botafogo and São Paulo player sandro hiroshi. Sandro Hiroshi was not registered as a São Paulo player, Botafogo complained about it and won the points of the match between them. These 3 judicially obtained points saved them from relegation, Gama-DF complained to the Commom Justice, everything became a mess, and to avoid any kind of commom judicial shenanigans, CBF refused to organize the 2000 national championship. Fluminense, Bahia, Juventude and América-MG were pulled up to the 1st division.

Those are not the only relegation scandals in the history of brazillian football. Gremio-RS was relegated in 1991, finished 9th in the 2nd division in 1993 and was pulled up to the 1st division in 1994. In 1986 Vasco failed to qualify to the 2nd round, so CBF decided to qualify it and add 3 more unrelated teams to the next round. In 1983, Santos failed to qualify to the 1st division, and was invited by CBF. The same thing happened to Vasco in 1984. The 2005 edition had 10 games replayed due to the Edilson match fix scandal, helping Corinthians win the championship.

Hahaha

Gotta love people trying to defend the indefensible.

In 1996, the scandals were related to Atletico Paranaense in the Brazilian cup and Corinthians in the Brazilian championship. That the end result of that scandal was that they kept the winners and everything else intact and only prevented Fluminense from being relegated is ridiculous, as fluminense was never even mentioned in the scandal. Again, in a scandal that had the presidents of Atletico Paranaense and Corinthians involved, neither team was punished and the only actual outcome was to prevent the relegation of Fluminense. Who was relegated again in 1997. And 1998.

And the Sandro Hiroshi thing is also bullshit. There was no reason, again, to promote Fluminense from the 3rd division to the 1st. Especially because when CBF did go back to organizing the championship in 2001 they kept Fluminense up.

And sure, there were many other scandals in Brazilian soccer history. And with the exception of promoting gremio in 1993 (not 1994), most of them benefited Rio teams, and, to a lesser degree, Sao Paulo teams. There is a reason Rio teams do extremely well in national competitions but generally fail once they enter competitions not refereed by CBF.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
So Corinthians-SP and Atlético-PR got caught red-handed bribing a MG congressmen, anothing nothing happens to either of them and somehow that's proof of RJ corruption? I'm not claiming that Fluminense was unfairly benefited from those cases. My point is that your claim of "pro-RJ" corruption in the CBF is quite frankly, pathetic, just like your claim that Fluminense only won last year by bribing referees.

There is just good, plain, widespread, old-fashined corruption in our beloved CBF.

Either way, table turning hopefully is a thing of the past, and both Fluminense and Vasco should play the 2nd division next year.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Magrov posted:

So Corinthians-SP and Atlético-PR got caught red-handed bribing a MG congressmen, anothing nothing happens to either of them and somehow that's proof of RJ corruption? I'm not claiming that Fluminense was unfairly benefited from those cases. My point is that your claim of "pro-RJ" corruption in the CBF is quite frankly, pathetic, just like your claim that Fluminense only won last year by bribing referees.

There is just good, plain, widespread, old-fashined corruption in our beloved CBF.

Either way, table turning hopefully is a thing of the past, and both Fluminense and Vasco should play the 2nd division next year.

Huh? It wasn't "nothing" that happened: "Corinthians-SP and Atlético-PR got caught red-handed bribing a MG congressmen" so they kept a Rio team in the first division.

And I didn't say they won last year bribing referees. I said they won last year with extremely questionable refereeing:

http://placarreal.com.br/index2012.asp

If you were to list corruption and refereeing scandals in the last 50 years in Brazil, they overwhelmingly favor Rio teams. Not by accident, since that is where CBF is.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 9, 2013

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Can we agree that the 90s were shady as gently caress when it came to weird out-of-nowhere promotions and not-relegations? I don't think there was a bias, it's just that the CBF was even more corrupt and insane than it is right now. Even when Grêmio came back in 1993, it was this weird thing where they went "you know what, EVERYONE IS PROMOTED gently caress IT gently caress THE SÉRIE B" and I can't tell how much of that was just to save Grêmio because drat that's a bizarre move.

Anyway, I think that has subsided a little in recent times. Nowadays, our referees are just plain incompetent. But I'm all for calling Rio and São Paulo teams ref-favored, because hell if it doesn't feel like that sometimes. It might be just the overwhelming media coverage and the "everyone's darling, 'moleque'" team narrative they push every time one of those teams start doing well, with stupid nicknames and haircuts abound. When that starts, I can't for the life of me figure out why the ref would call something that's not a piledriver on their players because I just wanna see them bleed UGH.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
FIFA 15 is ruined. :qq: Oh well, at least Fluminense is going down as well to keep Vasco some company.

Vinestalk posted:

The Rio police are breathing a massive sigh of relief.

While the cops in São Paulo are bracing for the return of Palmeiras.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!
:sigh:

You are loving delusional. Keep on fighting the good intewebs fights against the evil carioca football illuminati and good luck in Marrocos.

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
I have celebrated Fluminense and Vasco's relegation even more than I celebrated the Copa do Brasil win. What a fine year for Brazilian football. I do hope Vasco won't succeed with their little attempt at turning the tables due to crowd violence. Also, there will be more teams from Santa Catarina -- Chapecoense, Criciúma, and Figueirense -- playing in the Série A than clubs from Rio de Janeiro. This is a first. Hopefully Hawaii Avaí GUGA XI and Joinville will join them next year just because. Next year's Série B will be tough for everybody else. I'm sure Criciúma and Chape will end up relegated next year.

As for Galo, best of luck to them. I do hope Ronaldinho goes straight to hell (Besiktas), though.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm going to be crossing into Northern Brazil (Amapa and Para) on my way down through the country. Is it easy to get a ticket to see a team in Macapa/Belem, is there one? If not I'll probably following the coast through São Luis, Fortaleza, Recife and so on if that's a better bet. How much are tickets normally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

Sad Panda posted:

I'm going to be crossing into Northern Brazil (Amapa and Para) on my way down through the country. Is it easy to get a ticket to see a team in Macapa/Belem, is there one? If not I'll probably following the coast through São Luis, Fortaleza, Recife and so on if that's a better bet. How much are tickets normally?

When are you going there?

Amapá doesn't really have any football tradition, and I've never heard of any team from there. According to wikipedia their state championship usually takes place in the autumn, but I have no idea how regular it is. I've been to Macapá a couple of times, and the #1 sport there is MMA.

Your best bet is Belém. It has a couple of medium sized teams, like Paysandu (2nd3rd division) and Remo (and Tuna Luso maybe?), and a large stadium (Mangueirão), and they have a significant state championship that begins in january. You should be able to buy a ticket for R$ 20.00 - R$ 40.00.

If you decide to skip Pará and go along the coast, São Luiz only has 1 significant team, Sampaio Correia and a very weak state championship, Fortaleza has 2 good teams (Fortaleza and Ceará) and the Castelão Stadium, Recife has 3 good teams (Sport, Santa Cruz and Nautico) and the Arena Pernambuco stadium.