Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
How bad of a decision would it be to go check this SV650 out/possibly purchase? http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199905

Price is a bit high but its not out of the ballpark and I assume he can be talked down a bit, its been for sale for 3 months from the looks of it. Relatively low mileage, not a lot of damage from the drop. He has a bunch of pictures and even a video or two in the thread if anyone a bit more familiar with SV650's would like to give me some pointers for things to check out/look for/etc. I'm assuming I could just install a set of aftermarket clip-on handlebars to fix the rash from the drop but does anyone have any idea how much the shifter level would cost to replace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

A shift level would be about $15 at most.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

quote:

Two nights ago (may 30) I was forced to go down in order to avoid a deer at about 25/30 mph.
Sounds like the brakes don't work at all.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Sounds like they worked fine and he misused them and then invented the delusion that he deliberately crashed to avoid a crash. Like 99% of everyone who talks about a bike crash online does. Also, pretty turn up physically and can't get on a bike again any time soon...but rode it home?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Sounds like they worked fine and he misused them and then invented the delusion that he deliberately crashed to avoid a crash. Like 99% of everyone who talks about a bike crash online does. Also, pretty turn up physically and can't get on a bike again any time soon...but rode it home?

Eh, when I crashed my dirtbike a few days ago, I rode it home. I haven't been able to use the foot the bike crushed to walk since I got through my front door. So I think it's possible to get home and then realize the extent of your injuries.

Or maybe the guy is a pussy who looked for excuses as to why he crashed his bike and is now looking for excuses why he can't ride anymore because it scared him. The only reason I'm not using my motorcycle to get places is the swelling is too bad to get the foot into a boot.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah i'd show up with 2200 bucks plus 300 bucks in 20s, and buy it for 2300.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

So I think it's possible to get home and then realize the extent of your injuries.

Agreed. The first and only time I ever had a spill (as usual, young and stupid mistake) I got the bike back up on its wheels and rode the 10 minutes home. Only afterwards I realized my arm hurt like hell and it wasn't going away that I went to the hospital and found out I broke it.

Of course it depends how badly you are injured (after I got home I realized I was a paraplegic :haw:) but I agree it's certainly possible.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
My wife and I went to look at this 2005 Ninja 250 today, and I wanted to get some CA input. It was in almost great shape, the one big exception being the clips that attach the lower fairing to the main fairing were both broken on the right side (held on to the lower fairing with the screws, but broken), and at least one of the two on the left as well.

Other than that, it rode fine (throttle cable was a little stiff) and sounded better than mine with similar mileage. Its very clean, and besides the broken fairing tabs the only other part I noticed missing was the chain cover on the left side of the swingarm. I could pretty easily glue and fiberglass the tabs back into place, and the lower fairing was still secure with the other three screws that hold it on.

The owner and I went over to a local mechanic (an old Canyon Country mx legend, apparently) who is going to adjust the cct and do the valve adjustment, and look it over for any other issues.

My question is, how much should I try to drop his asking price for the broken bits? We were thinking about 1750, should I start lower?

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

sirbeefalot posted:

My question is, how much should I try to drop his asking price for the broken bits? We were thinking about 1750, should I start lower?
That looks like a really clean bike for a pretty decent price. How did the chain and sprockets look? If the tires are indeed new and have plenty of tread, that's worth a bit in his favor. If he's paying for the valve adjustment, that's a bit more in his favor. Find out when he last replaced the chain/sprockets, though. (If he hasn't or if they look well worn, that's definitely cash in your favor because the bike has 27,000 miles on it.)

The cracked clips aren't exactly uncommon; but it should be worth something. The chain guard is a $15-$30 part and he probably knows that. I'd likely ask him if he'd consider $1,700 in hundreds on the spot; but I'd probably be willing to pay what he's asking unless he has never replaced the chain on the thing.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Can someone talk me out of wanting a Monster 1100 Evo? I've heard that the Monsters are not that much of a bike, but that one sounds pretty nice. I've never ridden one.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Backov posted:

Can someone talk me out of wanting a Monster 1100 Evo? I've heard that the Monsters are not that much of a bike, but that one sounds pretty nice. I've never ridden one.
No. Get it. They're comfortable and plenty powerful and Ducati.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

No. Get it. They're comfortable and plenty powerful and Ducati.

Don't forget soul.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
My daily ride decided to eat poo poo, so I'm currently on the prowl for a new bike. Being a 21 year old with no credit to his name, no shop's willing to give me the time of day on a loan offer. I've taken to craigslist to look for a bike. Is there anything I should look out for on these kinds of things? I'm fairly new to motorcycles, and I'm not really sure what to be on the look for in regards to problems.

I'm currently looking at this thing, and would like to know of any red flags I should be aware of?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/mcy/4057214915.html

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ibexaz posted:

My daily ride decided to eat poo poo, so I'm currently on the prowl for a new bike. Being a 21 year old with no credit to his name, no shop's willing to give me the time of day on a loan offer. I've taken to craigslist to look for a bike. Is there anything I should look out for on these kinds of things? I'm fairly new to motorcycles, and I'm not really sure what to be on the look for in regards to problems.

I'm currently looking at this thing, and would like to know of any red flags I should be aware of?

Not being a smartass here, but ads that are one giant run on sentence like that are a big red flag to me.

Also, I'm a new rider myself and was very interested in something from the late 70s or early 80s before I started riding. Instead I went with a low mileage 2008 and am happy I made that decision. I've been mainly riding it, instead of fixing weird problems on a 3 decade old bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'd chalk "CAFE / BOBBER HYBRID" up as a red flag. While it looks like somebody just painted it orange, replaced the seat, and called it that, who knows what "weight-saving" kludges it's suffered.

Also, a cheap to buy 32yo bike usually isn't cheap to run.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Ibexaz posted:

It doesn't have a speedo or odo. I would walk.

Talk to your bank or a credit union about a loan, they're usually more willing. Also build your credit, get a card that you only ever use to pay your phone bill or something and pay it in full every month.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

hot sauce posted:

Not being a smartass here, but ads that are one giant run on sentence like that are a big red flag to me.

Yeah, that was an issue for me too. I would've just assumed he was an older gentleman or something.

I've talked to my bank and every shop in town and the only place around that'll give me a loan is Harley Davidson, and I'm not prepared to drop 14 grand on a cruiser at this point in my life.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ibexaz posted:

Yeah, that was an issue for me too. I would've just assumed he was an older gentleman or something.

I've talked to my bank and every shop in town and the only place around that'll give me a loan is Harley Davidson, and I'm not prepared to drop 14 grand on a cruiser at this point in my life.

I'm not sure how Phoenix is, but in the DC area you can get a great bike for around $3000. I bought my 2008 Ninja 250 with less than 3000 miles on it for like $2600 bucks. If you consider one of the goony entry level bikes (ninja 250/500, gs500, SV650) I'm sure you can find something cheap and reliable.

edit: I also just remembered a friend of mine got a mid 2000s Honda Cruiser for under $3k as well last year. I'd just keep an eye on craigslist.

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 10, 2013

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Ibexaz posted:

If you have to go the loan route, you could get some used Sportster 883 trade-in for a lot less than a new Dyna. They're fun little bikes, and certainly better than a 30-year old "cafe". If you're on a shoestring budget such that ~$1300 is your max price, I don't think getting a loan is the right financial decision though.

hot sauce posted:

I'm not sure how Phoenix is, but in the DC area you can get a great bike for around $3000 .... I'd just keep an eye on craigslist.

Yeah, this - sit and troll craigslist and save up your pennies. I remember how anxious I was between getting my license and finding my first bike, but better to research, wait, and have extra money saved for the right one.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

If you have to go the loan route, you could get some used Sportster 883 trade-in for a lot less than a new Dyna. They're fun little bikes, and certainly better than a 30-year old "cafe". If you're on a shoestring budget such that ~$1300 is your max price, I don't think getting a loan is the right financial decision though.

I'd love to get an 883, but that's still way out of my price range. I really just need to get back on the road. As of now I'm borrowing my dads truck, which depending on what site I'm working at would eat up 30 bucks worth of gas every day.

My price range is between 1000-2500 dollars, the problem is just finding the right bike, and having enough cash at the right time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You're not trying to get a loan for $1000-2500 are you?

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The minimum loan at my bank is 5000, and every motorcycle shop I've asked on a per-bike basis from an eight grand bike all the way down to two grand. The dude at the shop called me a phantom because I have no credit history, no debt, nothing. And any *Cash-Now* shops I've asked need to see in-person that the bike is running and stable in order to finance me. I'm new to this whole process and don't really know where to go from here besides stalk craigslist every five minutes for a good deal.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Have you had a bike before? Do you have gear? Do you have a motorcycle endorsement on your license?

Are you sure you shouldn't be looking for like a beater Tercel?

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

Yeah, my daily ride was put to rest on August 28th of this year. Not a long time rider, but do have my permit. Never got around to getting my license because in Arizona you can't take your license test when it's over 105 degrees outside, which is constantly.

I have full gear, my last bike was insured and payments were being made on it, never had an accident, never a traffic violation, nothin'. I was exemplary.

They just don't know I exist.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ibexaz posted:

I have full gear, my last bike was insured and payments were being made on it, never had an accident, never a traffic violation, nothin'. I was exemplary.

I'll ignore the fact that you rode without a license, but I'm really curious. What exactly happened to your old bike?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
He had a permit dude.

Why the gently caress is everyone giving this guy the third degree?

Sorry about your situation but I can't help you cause I have 0 credit too.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

tesilential posted:

I'll ignore the fact that you rode without a license, but I'm really curious. What exactly happened to your old bike?

A whole hell of a lot. But Act 3 started when I tried to come home from work and no power was getting to anything. No lights or nothin'. So I ripped the battery out, took it to autozone who said it was a battery problem and tried to get me to buy one of their own batteries. I said I was gonna go back to the people I bought it from originally to get a refund. Took it to Batteries Plus who said "yeah autozone is full of poo poo, this battery is fine, they're trying to swindle you."

So I said "aww man" and took it to the only mechanic in town that'll work on the bike (It was Chinese made). He asked me what was wrong and I said "Okay so no power's getting to it, My headlight is held on by a net because it fell off last week, my rear left blinker just fell off two nights ago, it's had an oil leak forever...Oh, and my speedometer, tripometer, and fuel gauge don't work anymore as of last week. Just fix what you can."

Dude looked at me like I was fuckin' nuts and said he'd get to work on it.

So the 28th rolls around and I get a call saying "Yeah, the entire rear end end of this thing is about to fall off. The point where the bolt goes through the swingarm and the frame is busted to hell, this is broken, that's broken, the bike was literally about to split in half. I'm surprised you're still alive."

Which is a strange thing to hear considering I paid a mechanic 300 bucks to get the bike checked out not too long before, and the mechanic gave it an A+ and said it was perfectly safe to ride.

It was a cheap little thing I bought from my old boxing partner, only paid a grand for it, plus a few hundred in repairs. It was nothing but problems, but I learned a little bit along the way on how to service a motorcycle and all that jazz, so I'm not too upset about the purchase. I'm just glad to be alive.

Took it down to a scrap yard who offered me 75 bucks for it, so I threw it up on craigslist and a guy picked it up for 250 planning on rebuilding her from the ground up. Guy texts me a few days later saying that the damage was appalling, and that he honestly was surprised I wasn't hurt. So that's the end of that.

Oh, and I'm not sure where you're from, but in Arizona it's legal to ride a motorcycle with a permit as long as you do not ride at night, and you stay off the freeway, which I obliged by.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
I don't want to be a party pooper but here's what I've learned over the last four years of looking for bikes on and off;

Motorcycle loans are a whole different ball game from an auto loan since motorcycles' value deprecate extremely quick and banks don't want to be stuck with that cost if you can't make your payments since motorcycles are often harder to sell to recoup a failed loan. Used bikes require up to a %30 down payment (or more) for buyers who are not well qualified because often times the sellers will be listing the bikes over what the bank thinks the bike is worth. Example: A dealership has listed a mint 2010 Ninja 250r for $3999 which is $500 off MSRP, not a bad deal and certainly in line with the market price, but check KBB and you'll see that the bike's worth is only '$2,975' so the bank will make you foot that 1$k in the form of a down payment right out the gate, then finance you the actual value of the bike on some ridiculous APR like 26.99%. As far as brand new bikes it's a lot easier to get a loan for those (I co-signed for my SO's loan who had zero credit like yourself) but they still want to see a big down payment to show that you're motivated to own that bike (and also the loan). Now seeing as how you have zero credit history and possibly no co-signer a bank is already leery of giving you money but then going into a low-cost high-apr loan that the bank will have issues with making their money back on? It's a no-win situation in their eyes and they will likely never finance you.

Focus on your current reality; without any credit you're looking at a bad time trying to pick something up that isn't on Craigslist. Get yourself a solid budget cap and figure out what you can spend and decide if that's gonna get you a properly working safe bike versus a properly working and safe car. If your budget can stretch up to $2.5k then you've got quite a few options for cheap and reliable bikes but you have to understand that you're not going to be picking up anything glamorous or even relatively new for that money. I'm going to just go ahead and say look for a well taken care of KLR650 because those are usually cheap and stupidly dependable utilitarian motorcycles but I don't know how comfortable you are with a large framed dual-sport bike. Let us know what kind of bike you're looking for and what kind of riding situation you deal with daily.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Why not borrow money from parents/relatives? That's what young people with no credit often do. Or ask a relative to cosign a loan on a brand new non-Chinese bike. There are many ~250cc commuter bikes for under 4 grand with something like 4% Apr. It'll be cheaper than financing a $2,500 item at 19%.

If you have cash, troll Craigslist. I just got an 87 intruder(700cc) for $800. Inspection, brakes and tune up later, it's running like a champ. The riding season is coming to an end, there are deals everywhere

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nsaP posted:

He had a permit dude.

Why the gently caress is everyone giving this guy the third degree?

Sorry about your situation but I can't help you cause I have 0 credit too.

Chill out bro. He kept saying his bike was "retired but not crashed" and he has "no credit" yet he had insurance and made payments. Now that he posted it makes sense. I didn't know if it was stolen or what.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

tesilential posted:

I'll ignore the fact that you rode without a license

Haha, feeling charitable?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

tesilential posted:

Chill out bro. He kept saying his bike was "retired but not crashed" and he has "no credit" yet he had insurance and made payments. Now that he posted it makes sense. I didn't know if it was stolen or what.

You're a moron lol.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nsaP posted:

You're a moron lol.

So says a guy who has zero credit and choses to spend a lot of time posting on the internet.

I post seldomly and from a phone so sentence fragments, suspect syntax and no editing are part of the charm.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

The 'ole my credit is better than your credit burn. Good one!

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.
If you have or can borrow a few grand, use that to get a secured loan from your bank / credit union. They hold the cash and give you a loan for roughly the same amount. Most of the time they will charge you prime + the interest rate of what account it's held in.

That's what I've done for all my bikes, when you pay it off you get your money back and it will help build your credit score. Plus you own the bike outright, not the bank.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Or you could just save up the money since bikes are pretty much toys and a loan on a toy is a pretty bad idea.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Do what I did, put a brand new bike on a credit card.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^ This is the best answer.

Serious answer: If you can't save for a few months and instead need to get a loan for $1-2K, you probably shouldn't be buying it in the first place.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

n8r posted:

Or you could just save up the money since bikes are pretty much toys and a loan on a toy is a pretty bad idea.

I agree, but this is a Bad Attitude (bikes as toys), even if it's true for most people. Don't get a loan on a bike because it's a rapidly depreciating asset with not a lot of value. But a loan on a bike that's done all it's depreciating and with decent insurance cover wouldn't be that bad an idea provided you can afford to make your payments. Obviously having the money up front is a better plan, but if you have the choice of paying 100/mo for 2.5 years and having a bike now, or saving 100/mo for 2 years and getting a bike then, well that's why loans exist. Hell, get the right bike and it might you might even be able to sell it for what you bought it for plus the interest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

tesilential posted:

So says a guy who has zero credit and choses to spend a lot of time posting on the internet.

I post seldomly and from a phone so sentence fragments, suspect syntax and no editing are part of the charm.

Alright.