Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Oh ... you've come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Just once I wanna see a dude wearing women's underwear and lipstick holding a circular saw over his bound and struggling victim in a room covered in plastic

"Oh I didn't see you there"

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!

The General posted:

Couldn't make it past him "surprised" by the camera. I really loving hate that. I'll take your word that the rest is terrible.

There's a part where he struggles to make an after effect appear. A part where he acts out stuff that will be in the game like punching for "fighting moves" including sound effects, him putting on an effeminate voice and gesture for "shopping", and "wearing" 8bit glasses. And a part with him talking to an NES wearing a bowler, monocle, muscular arms, and a mustache. That's about the point I shut it off and decided I didn't really want a new River City Ransom game.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Alan Smithee posted:

Just once I wanna see a dude wearing women's underwear and lipstick holding a circular saw over his bound and struggling victim in a room covered in plastic

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll add it to my microwallet/iPhone/girls in gaming/OUYA Kickstarter!!!!

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Alan Smithee posted:

Also he's blind.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Cerevisiae posted:

There's a part where he struggles to make an after effect appear. A part where he acts out stuff that will be in the game like punching for "fighting moves" including sound effects, him putting on an effeminate voice and gesture for "shopping", and "wearing" 8bit glasses. And a part with him talking to an NES wearing a bowler, monocle, muscular arms, and a mustache. That's about the point I shut it off and decided I didn't really want a new River City Ransom game.

I went back. Because I am weak. You missed the part where two guys doing stuff pop in and play videogames with their new friend. Then a girl pops in who was "Doing nothing" being going there, doesnt like videogames, then horribly mashes buttons on an xbox controller. (Everybody else had Playstation controllers. I realize windows (probably) wouldn't care, but gently caress it annoyed the poo poo out of me)

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Has there really been that much unserved demand for miniature fashion wallets anyway? I thought a wallet was pretty much a wallet, I got mine from a gas station, oh god have people at the checkout line been silently judging my sloppy wallet all along

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Has there really been that much unserved demand for miniature fashion wallets anyway? I thought a wallet was pretty much a wallet, I got mine from a gas station, oh god have people at the checkout line been silently judging my sloppy wallet all along

I think that the fashion regarding men's pants has largely precipitated an increased demand for thinner wallets. Bigass wallets are uncomfortable in tighter pants and they jut out noticeably. That probably wasn't a big issue over a decade ago when young people were going around in sagged JNCOs or whatever.

I switched from a huge triple billfold deal to a wallet with a money clip when I stopped being a fat turd and could wear skinny jeans.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Why would you wear skinny jeans? Are you a teenaged girl?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Why would you wear skinny jeans? Are you a teenaged girl?

When the moon is full.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I think that the fashion regarding men's pants has largely precipitated an increased demand for thinner wallets. Bigass wallets are uncomfortable in tighter pants and they jut out noticeably. That probably wasn't a big issue over a decade ago when young people were going around in sagged JNCOs or whatever.

I switched from a huge triple billfold deal to a wallet with a money clip when I stopped being a fat turd and could wear skinny jeans.

Okay. I'll accept your premise for a second about skinny jeans and ask why do we need 50 bajillion new designs of microwallets? There's already plenty of microwallets available elsewhere. Wal-Mart sells thin wallets, microwallets, and money clips. That's how available this poo poo is. It's not like people are sitting around with their credit cards and money wadded into a zip-lock bag, just waiting for the day when their Kickstarter microwallet finally ships.

Hey that gives me an idea...

*Buys a few boxes of zip-lock bags*
*Registers a Kickstarter project for a "Waterproof femtowallet made of space-age soft plastic and flavor-seal technology! Fits all iPhones and Android smartphones. Made of food-safe chloroethylene polymers. 100% chemically organic and made in a completely radical and totally bitchin' chain reaction that actually removes dangerous, carcinogenic vinyl chloride from the local environment! Check out our Board Game Piece Wallet or our line of femto-thin Nintendo 3DS, Sony Vita, Ouya, and Playstation 4 soft cases!"*

Did I hit all the kickstarter bases?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I think even allowing for the idea that there is a market for minimalist or unusual wallets, the point stands that the bulk of these Kickstarter wallets are terrible even by the standards of minimalist wallets.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Noni posted:

Okay. I'll accept your premise for a second about skinny jeans and ask why do we need 50 bajillion new designs of microwallets? There's already plenty of microwallets available elsewhere. Wal-Mart sells thin wallets, microwallets, and money clips. That's how available this poo poo is. It's not like people are sitting around with their credit cards and money wadded into a zip-lock bag, just waiting for the day when their Kickstarter microwallet finally ships.

I was simply talking about why I thought there was a general increase in the market for smaller wallets- I'm as annoyed as you are over how much of a fad "unique" wallets have become on KS. Hell, I got my minimalist wallet from a Macy's.

I think the reason there are these sorts of big trends in KS projects is because:

1- Dickheads who thought they had a unique idea for a product see someone else's pitch for the same basic thing and rush in so as to not miss their opportunity to shine. While doing so, they may unconsciously (or consciously) incorporate memorable or popular aspects of their competition/influences' products resulting seemingly innocuous aspects that all of the competing products share.

2- Dickheads who want to make a quick buck/start a quick business see what's popular on KS and copy it in an attempt to ride the wave. The more people doing it, the stronger the perceived wave.

I'm sure you could write a pretty fascinating sociology thesis on Kickstarter crowd behavior.

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

Noni posted:

*Registers a Kickstarter project for a "Waterproof femtowallet made of space-age soft plastic and flavor-seal technology! Fits all iPhones and Android smartphones. Made of food-safe chloroethylene polymers. 100% chemically organic and made in a completely radical and totally bitchin' chain reaction that actually removes dangerous, carcinogenic vinyl chloride from the local environment! Check out our Board Game Piece Wallet or our line of femto-thin Nintendo 3DS, Sony Vita, Ouya, and Playstation 4 soft cases!"*

Can I pay in Bitcoins?

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012

DancingPenguin posted:

Can I pay in Bitcoins?

Did you mine them using an Ouya miner?

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Noni posted:

I'm selling rolling your bills up in a condom and keistering them, outmaneuvered bitch.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

All these stupid wallets will be useless once I roll out my kickstarter for putting an RFID chip in your wrist and scanning your retinas as a replacement for credit/debit cards and driver's licenses. Next comes the app for trading digital business cards and suddenly you might only need a wad of rolled up cash with a rubber band (rubber microwallet) holding it all together.

e: vvv You did not know iPhones existed?

Machai has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Sep 10, 2013

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Awful Kickstarters: "Oh didn't see you there! Help me pick out a wallet?"

What's the obsession with these Kickstarter wallets fitting an iPhone? I had no idea that was even something that existed.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Alan Smithee posted:

All you need is some vague poo poo about contacting the IP holders and you've got yourself a Kickstarter for a Dexter spinoff :v:.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Blast of Confetti posted:

Awful Kickstarters: "Oh didn't see you there! Help me pick out a wallet?"

What's the obsession with these Kickstarter wallets fitting an iPhone? I had no idea that was even something that existed.

It isn't. But no matter how idiotic an idea may be, if it involves an iPhone accessory then iDiots will be all over it throwing their excessive disposable income at it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

No, see, they just want to make it easier on the pickpocket to relieve them of everything important in one go.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It's like a lizard's tail tearing off as bait. You drop the payload and run.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
I know ghosts don't exist, but that doesn't mean I won't go hunting for them. This guy wants $20,000 for his project, but he clearly didn't think his audience through. Believers won't fund him because he's a skeptic, and skeptics won't fund him because they don't need a documentary to tell them there's no such thing as ghosts. From the 'risks and challenges' section:

quote:

The only other challenge is if ghosts are real, and they don't like what we are trying to prove (or disprove).

I have no idea if her book is any good, but I'm posting it here anyway because this is a good example of how not to crowdfund your project. The actual pitch doesn't start until halfway down the page. Everything before that, including the pitch video, is entirely about her feral cats. Don't let any of that keep you from funding her project though. It's just a hundred bucks for an autographed copy of the book. (Yes. That's the lowest reward tier).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zybourne Clock posted:

I know ghosts don't exist, but that doesn't mean I won't go hunting for them. This guy wants $20,000 for his project, but he clearly didn't think his audience through. Believers won't fund him because he's a skeptic, and skeptics won't fund him because they don't need a documentary to tell them there's no such thing as ghosts

Actually there's a big market for sceptical documentaries in Fortean circles, so long as they're well researched and don't ignore evidence that doesn't match their preconceptions. Finding truth has never been as important as looking for it.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Noni posted:

No tits - 2/10, will not fund.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jedit posted:

....iDiots will be all over it throwing their excessive disposable income at it.
:goonsay:

Really? This old chestnut? I didn't know we'd turned into the Cracked comments section circa 2008, dude.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Really? This old chestnut? I didn't know we'd turned into the Cracked comments section circa 2008, dude.

I refuse to use any device that isn't completely open :colbert:
My Fedora kernel mobile OS uses an Arduino board to control a celluar signal tuner of my own design. It weighs 40 lbs, so I pull it around in this stylish and convenient little red wagon. I can have any phone number I want, provided the FCC keeps their big government nose out of my business!

Enjoy your limited platform, plebes!

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Careful iBro, I don't think the iAccessory detractors are going to disappear anytime soon and you may end up having to add this thread to your list of trauma events.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

deadly_pudding posted:

I refuse to use any device that isn't completely open :colbert:
My Fedora kernel mobile OS uses an Arduino board to control a celluar signal tuner of my own design. It weighs 40 lbs, so I pull it around in this stylish and convenient little red wagon. I can have any phone number I want, provided the FCC keeps their big government nose out of my business!

Enjoy your limited platform, plebes!

Everything iphony does my Linux phone has been doing 4 years ago :smug:

iphone 5s more like iphone BS :smug:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

JDM3 posted:

No tits - 2/10, will not fund.

buy a wallet and get a anime tits poster for free.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Drowning In Terror posted:

Careful iBro, I don't think the iAccessory detractors are going to disappear anytime soon and you may end up having to add this thread to your list of trauma events.

Kickstarter iAccessories can be stupid and frivolous as poo poo but going all "iSheep be spending all their mad trust fund monies on overpriced toys for their overpriced toys" is annoying and about as edgy in 2013 as tubgirl. It makes you sound like a 16 year-old getting all "Think different?" More like "Think GAMER!" Win7 FTW!!!" on Engadget.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Wait wait wait, I just came up with something awesome. You see, if I replace the two s's in 'Microsoft Windows' with dollar signs,

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

I'm selling rolling your bills up in a condom and keistering them, outmaneuvered bitch.

Oh god. I could actually see a fake condom gag microwallet kickstarter being successful. How about fake condom iphone sleeve? It's hilarious and easy to retrieve from your pocket. Doubles as a real emergency condom! Attention PUAs: Use our sleeves for some subliminal hinting!

Name the company, "Big Johnson" and target those assholes who funded the Man Bag and Man Card bullshit.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Noni posted:

Name the company, "Big Johnson" and target those assholes who funded the Man Bag and Man Card bullshit.

There is no possible way that name is not already taken, so I'm not even going to check.:colbert:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Take your hilarious and awesome "this one thing my friend said one time" stories (that everyone obviously loves) to the next level- by wearing the functional equivalent of a wire on your wrist at all times!

There's clearly no way that this could be misused....

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Take your hilarious and awesome "this one thing my friend said one time" stories (that everyone obviously loves) to the next level- by wearing the functional equivalent of a wire on your wrist at all times!

So it's a YOLO recorder?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

JDM3 posted:

There is no possible way that name is not already taken, so I'm not even going to check.:colbert:

It is. All the shirts are exactly what you'd expect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Johnson

If you've ever seen those tacky-as-gently caress "Co-ed [activity]: [sexual reference]" t-shirts it's about the same grade of terrible. Even as a teenager the shirts were dumb as hell and the only people that wore them were 90s versions of DudeBros, or really weird highschool students.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Evil Fluffy posted:

It is. All the shirts are exactly what you'd expect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Johnson

If you've ever seen those tacky-as-gently caress "Co-ed [activity]: [sexual reference]" t-shirts it's about the same grade of terrible. Even as a teenager the shirts were dumb as hell and the only people that wore them were 90s versions of DudeBros, or really weird highschool students.

Ahahaha

quote:

depicted in comic art featuring "humorous" sexual innuendos.

Man when even Wikipedia is dropping burns on your "jokes" you know you loving suck

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Why doesn't it also function as a watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

JossiRossi posted:

Why doesn't it also function as a watch?

I honestly haven't the faintest. On top of it just being a 'meh' idea at best, this thing is hilariously single-purpose.

Where most companies hoping to break into wrist-tech are trying to build devices that integrate multiple functions into a sleek and user-friendly package, these guys seem to imagine a world where everyone walks around with like three different bands on each wrist like Bananas Gorilla.