Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Fuzz posted:

I could swear I've seen green auras, are you sure?

I'm not completely sure, no, though I have heard people in chat bitching that there wasn't one and asking why and then people telling them it would allow for blatant rip-offs of some character or something. Also, this website only has blue, dark blue, plasmic, gold, purple, red, and white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

mastajake posted:

I'm not completely sure, no, though I have heard people in chat bitching that there wasn't one and asking why and then people telling them it would allow for blatant rip-offs of some character or something. Also, this website only has blue, dark blue, plasmic, gold, purple, red, and white.

Clearly Yellow Lanterns with Gold Auras are favored. More proof that Villains are best.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Just went 8:2 in a Fortress of Solitude Legends match as Robin with 40k damage out and the highest damage total being 60k. Feel pretty badass. :nolan:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

WarLocke posted:

Just went 8:2 in a Fortress of Solitude Legends match as Robin with 40k damage out and the highest damage total being 60k. Feel pretty badass. :nolan:

I'm really liking Nightwing so far. Are there any non-DLC ranged legends dudes tho?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

tallian posted:

I'm really liking Nightwing so far. Are there any non-DLC ranged legends dudes tho?

Don't think so. So far my favorite is actually Ursa... she has all the Kryptonian powers, but she's fast.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Has anyone tried the new Celestial set out? Does it play similar to any of the others or is it fairly unique? How does the combo system it has work with healing?

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
For any returning people. You need CR 40 now to get loot from Sub Avatars.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Giedroyc posted:

For any returning people. You need CR 40 now to get loot from Sub Avatars.

Were people showing up at low levels to mooch gear or something?

Tweaked my Lantern a bit, I don't have a lot of options at the moment and the look isn't exactly 'canon', but I like it:

And here's one with the Green Energy Construct staff:

I hate when Brainiac photo bombs me. :fuckoff:

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
Started playing this game again and having a lot of fun. Only problem I'm having is choosing a powerset, I like the new celestial one but I also want to try being a green/yellow lantern at some point too. Might just get both to 30 and see which one I like.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Do we have a mumble or anything? Because if not I can ask a goon-friend of mine with a server if he'd be willing to host a DCUO channel for us to use.

WarLocke posted:

Were people showing up at low levels to mooch gear or something?

Tweaked my Lantern a bit, I don't have a lot of options at the moment and the look isn't exactly 'canon', but I like it:

And here's one with the Green Energy Construct staff:

I hate when Brainiac photo bombs me. :fuckoff:

This looks great, nice aesthetic!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

kojicolnair posted:

Started playing this game again and having a lot of fun. Only problem I'm having is choosing a powerset, I like the new celestial one but I also want to try being a green/yellow lantern at some point too. Might just get both to 30 and see which one I like.

Well, there are steam achievements for each of the different mentors to 30, as well as all 3 movement types to 30, and you have 6 character slots. You should just do all 6 characters and get all the cheevos!

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

tallian posted:

Well, there are steam achievements for each of the different mentors to 30, as well as all 3 movement types to 30, and you have 6 character slots. You should just do all 6 characters and get all the cheevos!

16 character slots actually, of which I've already got 9 used up. I was stupid with money when I had a job, lifetime woo.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

kojicolnair posted:

16 character slots actually, of which I've already got 9 used up. I was stupid with money when I had a job, lifetime woo.

I nearly did get lifetime, and should have. Oh, well.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Fuzz posted:

This looks great, nice aesthetic!

You have no idea how badly I want an armor style that is just literally the green construct energy as armor. Just the black undersuit with vambraces, greaves, and shoulder-armor of literal green construct stuff. :flashfap:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WarLocke posted:

You have no idea how badly I want an armor style that is just literally the green construct energy as armor. Just the black undersuit with vambraces, greaves, and shoulder-armor of literal green construct stuff. :flashfap:

I could swear I've actually seen exactly that somewhere... think it might be a raid drop, check some wikis. What I don't get is why they don't make the Lantern Corps emblems easier to get... is there even a real Green or Yellow Lantern emblem?

Edit: You could go for glowing green skin and then just have her be mostly naked with random armor bits, like she's some avatar of Will or something.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 9, 2013

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

WarLocke posted:

Has anyone tried the new Celestial set out? Does it play similar to any of the others or is it fairly unique? How does the combo system it has work with healing?

This is the page I'm using as a guideline (second post).

Or it would be if I ever stopped playing my Sinestro Corps character for long enough to try it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Edit: You could go for glowing green skin and then just have her be mostly naked with random armor bits, like she's some avatar of Will or something.

Funnily enough, I was just online and some guy was shouting he wanted to trade a white aura for 45 yellow exobits. I hit up my bank so fast... :neckbeard:

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I wish when you unlocked some styles they carried over to everyone. I only have one guy left with the gifts from the Sony network hack from a couple years back.

Should have just bought power respecs on the villain who had it :/

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Yeah, the whole random costume unlocking stuff (thinking specifically about styles you can only get from the vault, or lockboxes, or drops inside raids and crap) is really making me consider paring down to two characters, one hero one villain. No way do I have the patience to try for all that various poo poo (including feats for SP) on 6 different characters long-term.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

That is why most of my characters don't last long. I already have my Electricity Healer who is quite far along with T3 stuff so right now I'm going back and forth between my Quantum guy and my Ice guy to see which I like more to really pursue... have a level 30 Gadgets chick that's retired and a 26ish Fire Tank that I've already retired, too. Plus I have a Light Hero but I kind of want to totally remake him into a chick (and he has a dumb name), but he has a few cool styles already unlocked.

Decisions, Decisions.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I logged into one of my heroes (who's a mule while I relearn Gadgets), and found out the broker area straight up doesn't exist anymore.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Haha I figured out what I'm going to do for a villain character. The people over on the DCUO forums get their panties in such a wad if you refuse to use Community Approved 100% Efficient loadouts, so I am going to make an Acrobatics, Joker-mentored villain who only uses Acro attacks because he is nuts and his no powers. "Lightning bolt!" *tosses graple line*

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
If you want to make them* angrier, make sure to constantly be in Healer role for it or something, so you're not doing "enough" damage with the build. Proceed to never use any healing skills/only throw barrels to help your teammates.

* I admit that mid-game I've raged about people like this too.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

grab Gag Glove and Clown Box iconics too

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Syrg Sapphire posted:

* I admit that mid-game I've raged about people like this too.

I was thinking I would stay in DPS mode and actually try to make it 'work', you know, to make a point/piss them off. Even movement mode attacks get 35%-50% damage bonuses, you just don't get any interactions. I was thinking I'd grab the iconic drone bot too, be a crazy guy thinking he's a wizard and that's my familiar and crap.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

What's the easiest weapon/powers combo to play? I keep trying different stuff and never feel like I'm very effective at anything.

I'm starting to think I just don't understand how to play this game.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Brawling, Shield, and Two-Handed all have simple combos; power set is going to depend on what you want to do (tank, DPS, heal, control?)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Staff should also be tossed into that mix. Staff/Two-Handed are really, really close, but one's a little faster (Staff), the other hits harder (Two-Handed)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kelp Plankton posted:

What's the easiest weapon/powers combo to play? I keep trying different stuff and never feel like I'm very effective at anything.

Overall I'd probably say Martial Arts or Shield for weapon... Shield is super forgiving with combos and you can chain power attacks like mad, plus it looks awesome. Martial Arts has a 5-hit chain you can unlock that ends with a smoke bomb that not only does hilarious AoE damage, but also stuns everything around you. Other than those two, really depends on your role because some are better than others, for example Bow is probably the best healer weapon overall while Brawling is badass for tanks.

As for power, really depends on what role you want. I was just singing the praises of Ice ingame earlier today... it's awesome for DPS and probably still the best Tank Power. Even in DPS mode if you go Cryogenics you can basically spam AoE Chill Effects and reflect away a lot of damage, plus you get Ice Armor after 5 effects which gives you a decent armor boost even in DPS mode, so you're really survivable. Add in the Glacier Freeze power or whatever it's called where you encase yourself in ice and heal, and is conveniently in the same tree, and you really can't go wrong. The benefit here is also that you don't need any paid content to use it.

Otherwise, Gadgets is a great set simply because you can get that Encase power which will encase and damage two enemies, making groups much easier to handle. Once you get Controller mode, turn it on and never look back, because even though your damage will be a little lower, you'll also NEVER run out of energy so you can keep spamming powers. Also a base power, so you don't need to buy anything.

Most of all, check all three clubs/PDs after the intro quests. They scroll have quest chains and you should do them all as you go to get lots of gear and item appearances but also to end up overleveled for the later stuff. Makes a big difference, especially in the 20s when poo poo gets real. (gently caress you, Met City Hall)

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 10, 2013

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

How far to you level a character before you try something different?

I don't think any of the powers are terribly hard. It just takes awhile to develop your character to a point where they're actually really good at something. There are weapon guides around that explain it better than I can. For the most part, you can do anything with any weapon, but some choices are smarter.

For example weapons have different "Speeds" Faster weapons tend not to pack as much punch, but they're pretty handy when it comes to regenerating power faster. It is often suggested that healers pick faster weapons for that reason. I could be wrong on this, but you can get slower weapons which I would assume hit a little stronger and harder. If you're looking to play a damage role or tank, that might be the better way to go.

But honestly, weapons are going to suck pretty hard until you get to around T2, and you pick up something decent in a Raid drop. Weapons are usually the hardest drop to get, as everybody will NEED on those. If you feel like your weapon really sucks rear end, you an usually find something a tad better from one of the Renoun vendors.

As far as powers go, it just depends on what it is you are trying to do. If you are just trying out powers, find one you like and start learning about its role and how it works. There are no ends to the advice on loadouts online. If there is a specific roll you are looking to play, you can approach it form that way. I'd pick the roll you want to play, than pick your power and just start reading what people have to say about it.

Generally, if you are playing ON your level, you feel a little like you suck. The more you build and develop your character the more impressive they become.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Roydrowsy posted:

Weapons are usually the hardest drop to get, as everybody will NEED on those.

This is changing. In Sons of Trigon content there is no rolling, everyone get a drop of their own (that can't be traded). I think I read that at some point the earlier content will be reworked to be the same way, too.

Also if you start a character and are pretty sure you're going to stick with it, you can get some quick and relatively easy levels and skillpoints by running around and grabbing all the green/blue collection orbs scattered around the city. There are maps out there with all the locations, and I basically scoured Metropolis and got to 15 by only doing the newbi Grodd stuff and grabbing all those afterwards.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Staff should also be tossed into that mix. Staff/Two-Handed are really, really close, but one's a little faster (Staff), the other hits harder (Two-Handed)

I really like Staff myself, but he asked about easy to use weapons, and all the ones I mentioned are simple 'click LMB 1 to 5 times, then hold LMB' combos.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 10, 2013

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Is brawling all obvious hand obscuring weapons like Martial Arts? Or can my Lava Mans take brawling to emulate doing things the old fashioned way, if just grabbing One Handed and calling it a day doesn't work out for the Space Rock Barbarian style? (Two-Handed apparently too slow as gently caress for energy regen for fire, or something).

I have no idea why I'm so dead set against Dual Wield or martial arts stylistically on a tough guy sort of deal.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

WarLocke posted:

I really like Staff myself, but he asked about easy to use weapons, and all the ones I mentioned are simple 'click LMB 1 to 5 times, then hold LMB' combos.

You can easily staff with "hold LMB, hold LMB, hold LMB" though. Once you get that combo it's both easy to rack up hits AND does a good chunk of damage.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

We need to consolidate on PC and actually get real goon groups going. I'm going to talk to my buddy so we WILL have a Mumble channel available to use for voicechat.

What Leagues are all you people in on PC (sorry PS3 people) and how active are they, and more importantly would they be willing to basically merge with those of us left in Goonlimited so we all are in the same league and can actually do awesome poo poo?

Let's get serious, because I want to do some T4 poo poo.

Section Z posted:

Is brawling all obvious hand obscuring weapons like Martial Arts? Or can my Lava Mans take brawling to emulate doing things the old fashioned way, if just grabbing One Handed and calling it a day doesn't work out for the Space Rock Barbarian style? (Two-Handed apparently too slow as gently caress for energy regen for fire, or something).

I have no idea why I'm so dead set against Dual Wield or martial arts stylistically on a tough guy sort of deal.

Martial Arts and Brawling are similar like Staff and Two-Handed are, it's just that MA is WAY faster and has literally the best ranged attack spam in the game that is not the Bow. (you throw shurikens. Throw them EVERYWHERE!) Some of the combo chains are rather acrobatic like the one where you do a quick handstand to kick people in the goddamn face, but so far with my Ice guy I'm totally digging it... it's especially fun if you use Flight because the 2 hit-hold chain launches people, you fly up to keep comboing them in the air with the 3 hit-hold combo where you axe kick them in the goddamn face and they just fly back down into the ground for a semi-hilarious DBZ vibe to it.

Brawling has a few similar chains with one where you two a double-fisted hammer swing down on people, but I dunno... in general I really don't like the slow attack sets because of how your Power regenerates based on combo chains, and faster weapons naturally end up with you having big number combos. Really up to you, but both of them can be set so that you have no actual weapon equipped and you're just pounding on people with your bare hands, though with Martial Arts you can have goddamn Ninja Claws, so why the hell would you ever not use those?

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 10, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Section Z posted:

One of the Brawling styles (and the one you start out with if you select Brawling at character creation) is 'Bare Hands', so you're covered.

Also I think weapons are more or less normalized as far as energy regen goes. I know I need an 11-hit combo to get to tier 2 with Staff, but 4 hits gets you to the same tier with Brawling.

Fuzz posted:

We need to consolidate on PC and actually get real goon groups going. I'm going to talk to my buddy so we WILL have a Mumble channel available to use for voicechat.

What Leagues are all you people in on PC (sorry PS3 people) and how active are they, and more importantly would they be willing to basically merge with those of us left in Goonlimited so we all are in the same league and can actually do awesome poo poo?

I'm not in a league but I would totally be up for a goon one if we could get people playing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fuzz posted:

All right, just on account of your post I will re-install.

. . . But I am on vacation for two weeks. Like actual vacation, not lay around at home and stomp robot butt vacation.

Blutkrieg will walk among you again.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Apparently I was wrong about combos:

Random DCUO Forum Guide posted:

Combo regeneration is a way to restore Power and Supercharge to yourself by attacking and building high combos. There are 4 tiers to combo regeneration and each tier gives 9 ticks of Power and 8 ticks of Supercharge.

Tier 1 has a hit counter range of 1-11 and restores 10 base Power and 2 Supercharge. There is no hit counter title for this tier.

Tier 2 has a hit counter range of 12-26 and restores 12 base Power and 3 Supercharge. The hit counter title for this tier is “Good!”

Tier 3 has a hit counter range of 27-50 and restores 15 base Power and 3 Supercharge. The hit counter title for this tier is “Incredible!”

Tier 4 has a hit counter range of 51+ and restores 20 base Power and 4 Supercharge. The hit counter title for this tier is “Superhuman!” Hits after the 51st hit only gives you 1 tick of Power and Supercharge per hit instead of 9 and 8.

There are 3 weapons that change these tiers: Hand Blasts, Two Handed and Brawling. The hit counter changes are listed below:

Hand Blasts: 1-9, 10-20, 21-40, 41+
Two Handed: 1-6, 7-13, 14-25, 26+
Brawling: 1-5, 6-11, 12-21, 22+

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WarLocke posted:

I'm not in a league but I would totally be up for a goon one if we could get people playing.

Yeah, but you're a dumbo playing Hero side, so that sorta precludes you from grouping with like... 80% of us. Most of us already have pretty high level Villains, plus Villains get the best Mentors... Mark Hamill, James Marsters, AND Michelle Forbes? gently caress yeah. (Gina Torres sucks)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, but you're a dumbo playing Hero side, so that sorta precludes you from grouping with like... 80% of us. Most of us already have pretty high level Villains, plus Villains get the best Mentors... Mark Hamill, James Marsters, AND Michelle Forbes? gently caress yeah. (Gina Torres sucks)

I am trying to come up with a villain right now :( I have a concept for a Superspeed/Lightning character, but I'm blocked on a name. Both 'Aether' and 'Mana' variations are taken, bleh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WarLocke posted:

I am trying to come up with a villain right now :( I have a concept for a Superspeed/Lightning character, but I'm blocked on a name. Both 'Aether' and 'Mana' variations are taken, bleh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtPk5IUbdH0

He can be Electric Slide's brother. I demand a huge afro, though. Mutton chops and/or awesome 'stache are optional.

• Locked thread