Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm inclined to call bullshit on this. Heat will only diffuse through the meat but so quickly. At an extremely high temp, the outside would burn to a crisp before the inside has a chance to get to a foodsafe temperature.

She didn't say if it came out edible or not :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm always iffy about the idea of going to movies alone. And I'm British, not American. It's just not the done thing.

Which is really weird considering that sitting in a dark room and watching a screen in silence for two hours does not feel like a particularly social activity.

dokmo posted:

This may answer some of your questions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzbfuI0PMdA
Thanks for the link, it did explain a few things. Also that is the most British person I've ever seen in my life.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I've been to the movies with groups of people for so long that it would feel a little strange to go to the movies by myself. Being single and working a job that makes me work every weekend I don't really have anyone to go to the movies with.

So I don't go.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm inclined to call bullshit on this. Heat will only diffuse through the meat but so quickly. At an extremely high temp, the outside would burn to a crisp before the inside has a chance to get to a foodsafe temperature.

Autoclaves are typically under 300 F. If they're made any time in the past 15 years, they'll be programmable, so I could set this thing up like a sous vide and allow a huge range of pressures plus optional settings for using steam and I think UV. Plus, I can set up cycles and it records data. All of this is why I'm convinced that someone has done this before with good results. It seems like something you'd find in the biggest food nerd's kitchen.

Unless you're talking about using an incinerator, which is something I also have access to. That would would indeed make for the worst turkey. Literally, it would have zero water (we use this to get dry weights of objects).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking it was higher heat than that. And with steam, I'm sure you could cook more quickly than with dry radiant/convection heat. I don't think it would get crispy that way, but I could be wrong about that too. so please do it for science and let us know. Better yet, make a thread about it in GWS.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Baron Bifford posted:

I have a friend at work who often asks for anybody to accompany him to the movies. He seems really embarrassed about going alone. Is this a common thing among Americans? I go to the cinema alone all the time.

I go by myself all the time. Now going to a restaurant alone would be awkward.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I'm doing excel, and I want more precise decimals in my last column.

It looks like the answer is correct, but rounded. For example, in the first column, the correct answer does begin with a 2. For the next 3 columns, the correct answer does behing with a 1.

Not sure how to resolve this problem?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I'm doing excel, and I want more precise decimals in my last column.

It looks like the answer is correct, but rounded. For example, in the first column, the correct answer does begin with a 2. For the next 3 columns, the correct answer does behing with a 1.

Not sure how to resolve this problem?

In 2010, it's highlight cells -> right click -> format cells -> number tab.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Thanatosian posted:

In 2010, it's highlight cells -> right click -> format cells -> number tab.

Thank you for the help. I now know how to add decimal amounts. Unfortunately it didn't seem to solve my issue.

The equation isn't producing the precise answer.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

The QUOTIENT function truncates to a whole number. If you want the decimals, just use regular division.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

The QUOTIENT function truncates to a whole number. If you want the decimals, just use regular division.

Dope. You're dope. Thank you Mr. Cool Ice and Thanatosian!

Vanant
Mar 27, 2010
Here's my stupid/small question:

Which Daily is your avatar from, Denouement?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

VagueRant posted:

I'm always iffy about the idea of going to movies alone. And I'm British, not American. It's just not the done thing.

Which is really weird considering that sitting in a dark room and watching a screen in silence for two hours does not feel like a particularly social activity.
Thanks for the link, it did explain a few things. Also that is the most British person I've ever seen in my life.

The best way to see a movie is to go to the cinema by yourself at a time when no one else will be there. The last film I saw in the cinema was Tintin, and I went at about 10am on a weekday and got the cinema to myself and it was great.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've been to restaurants by myself as well. If I'm in the city, hungry, and with some time to kill I'll go to a restaurant rather than buying a pie from 7Eleven or something.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Tiggum posted:

I've been to restaurants by myself as well. If I'm in the city, hungry, and with some time to kill I'll go to a restaurant rather than buying a pie from 7Eleven or something.

When I go to a restaurant alone I usually eat at the bar, as do most people that are eating alone, so you end up eating with a few strangers + a bartender to talk to.

I've made many friends this way. I've also traded phone numbers with many people I would never wish to see again.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Does anyone remember this terribly designed website that looked like it was made by a schizophrenic person? It resembled something like a lovely geocities site from the late 90s and I think it was for a wedding or flower shop or something? Either way, the person who designed it was the son of the store's owner and had a bunch of links to his music and drawings scattered among a sea of nearly unintelligible links. Some of it got downright weird and disturbing, and it was this beautiful weird little gem in the middle of the internet.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

When I go to a restaurant alone I usually eat at the bar, as do most people that are eating alone, so you end up eating with a few strangers + a bartender to talk to.

I don't think I've ever seen a setup like this. Even at pubs they serve meals at the tables, not at the bar. And other than pubs, most restaurants don't have a bar.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Tiggum posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a setup like this. Even at pubs they serve meals at the tables, not at the bar. And other than pubs, most restaurants don't have a bar.

At least in the NJ area, nearly every diner and major chain restaurant has one. I assumed the bar area was common everywhere.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

The Dark Wind posted:

Does anyone remember this terribly designed website that looked like it was made by a schizophrenic person? It resembled something like a lovely geocities site from the late 90s and I think it was for a wedding or flower shop or something? Either way, the person who designed it was the son of the store's owner and had a bunch of links to his music and drawings scattered among a sea of nearly unintelligible links. Some of it got downright weird and disturbing, and it was this beautiful weird little gem in the middle of the internet.

I think you mean this: http://yvettesbridalformal.p1r8.net/
That's just an archived version of the site, the actual website has since been taken down.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Maybe this varies place to place, but here in the midwest US 90% of restaurants have a bar to sit at here.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Tiggum posted:

This is a very common setup in the US. Even the crappiest of restaurants have bars with food service or diner type counter dining.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Chiba City Blues posted:

I think you mean this: http://yvettesbridalformal.p1r8.net/
That's just an archived version of the site, the actual website has since been taken down.

Yes thank you!

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

I travel for business a fair amount, and eating alone at a restaurant is one of life's true pleasures.

I couldn't find anybody to go see the "Seinfeld" documentary with me, so I went alone. Truly alone. I was the only one in the theater.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

They're generally not bars in the way a pub would be, and usually it's called the counter rather than the bar. They're a common feature in diners or other less fancy restuarants. Here's an example--

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I just saw this picture

Is there anywhere I can buy notebooks full of hosed-up paper like this, or in various but similar styles?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I'm thinking about getting an Apple TV but don't have a subscription to HBO or cable. I'm guessing I can't just subscribe to HBO without first getting cable, right?

You cannot buy HBO a la carte, no. Not at the moment anyways.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Noni posted:

Autoclaves are typically under 300 F. If they're made any time in the past 15 years, they'll be programmable, so I could set this thing up like a sous vide and allow a huge range of pressures plus optional settings for using steam and I think UV. Plus, I can set up cycles and it records data. All of this is why I'm convinced that someone has done this before with good results. It seems like something you'd find in the biggest food nerd's kitchen.
It depends if you're talking medical or industrial autoclave, the one you mention is probably medical, used to sterilize stuff. Industrial ones go much higher in both temperature and pressure and are capable of burning turkey to a charcoal in no time.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

stubblyhead posted:

They're generally not bars in the way a pub would be, and usually it's called the counter rather than the bar. They're a common feature in diners or other less fancy restuarants. Here's an example--

That's one example yeah, but most restaurants have a "pub style" bar, and you can eat at it.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My roommate came down with the flu last week which spread to me over the weekend. I called out of work yesterday because I was feeling horrible and today because I was dehydrated and exhausted. I just got a call from work stating I need to bring in a doctors note for missing 2 days, which I don't have because I know my body and knew that I just needed to sleep and hydrate which is all that the doctor would have told me. Will a walk-in clinic examine me and give a note of 'this guy is OK to work now' or am I SOL?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

GobiasIndustries posted:

My roommate came down with the flu last week which spread to me over the weekend. I called out of work yesterday because I was feeling horrible and today because I was dehydrated and exhausted. I just got a call from work stating I need to bring in a doctors note for missing 2 days, which I don't have because I know my body and knew that I just needed to sleep and hydrate which is all that the doctor would have told me. Will a walk-in clinic examine me and give a note of 'this guy is OK to work now' or am I SOL?
They don't want a note saying that you're okay to work now; they want a note saying that you were actually sick. It's a way of punishing you for calling in sick, especially if they don't give you health insurance that covers ordinary doctor visits, or sick time. The mere single "gently caress you" of not getting paid isn't quite enough, so they force you to shell out for a doctor visit, too.

But yes, a walk-in clinic will give you the note you need. Just remember this for the future, and if you get an opportunity to gently caress them down the line, do so.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Thanatosian posted:

They don't want a note saying that you're okay to work now; they want a note saying that you were actually sick. It's a way of punishing you for calling in sick, especially if they don't give you health insurance that covers ordinary doctor visits, or sick time. The mere single "gently caress you" of not getting paid isn't quite enough, so they force you to shell out for a doctor visit, too.

But yes, a walk-in clinic will give you the note you need. Just remember this for the future, and if you get an opportunity to gently caress them down the line, do so.

Or take the bill with you to work to submit for reimbursement. They won't pay it, obviously, but it'd be a nice slap in the face for them (if it doesn't get you fired).

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

RaoulDuke12 posted:

That's one example yeah, but most restaurants have a "pub style" bar, and you can eat at it.

Yeah and a lot of time sitting at the bar is a less popular option, and if the restaurant is full the server will ask if you want to sit at the bar. You might have to wait 20 minutes to get a table but you can often get seated much faster if you want to sit at the bar. I like sitting at the bar if I'm with one or two other people, but any more than that and you can't really talk with everyone because you're all sitting in a line.

Pretty much all of the generic chain restaurants have that kind of setup here (Olive Garden, Applebees, Chili's, etc). And a lot of the locally owned bar and grill type places will let you eat at the bar too.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the replies. Luckily I have good insurance, so the cost isn't the issue. I just don't really know how this works since I've never had to provide a doctor's note before, and since I'm mostly fine today (just exhausted, dehydrated, and definitely not in working condition) rather than still presenting symptoms I just don't know exactly what I'm supposed to ask for now.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Thanks for the replies. Luckily I have good insurance, so the cost isn't the issue. I just don't really know how this works since I've never had to provide a doctor's note before, and since I'm mostly fine today (just exhausted, dehydrated, and definitely not in working condition) rather than still presenting symptoms I just don't know exactly what I'm supposed to ask for now.

Well, call a place or two that you're considering going, tell them the situation, and ask if they can help you out.

But still vomit on your boss tomorrow for good measure.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
My friend and I both have MacBook Pros from the same basic batch, early 2011. His is an i7 2.5 (8,2) mine is an 15 2.3 (8,1). They both have 2 x 2 GB chips and they appear to both take the same kind of memory -and can take up to an 8 GB pc3-10600 1333mhz chip in each of the two slots.

I can get us a 16 GB kit (2 x 8GB) for around $100.
OR I can get us 4 GB chips for $24 each.
We don't really want to buy TWO of the 16GB kits -50 bux is about all we want to spend, each.

Is there any problem with adding one 8 GB chip to each laptop, and leaving one 2 GB chip in each, thus increasing both their memories to 10 GB?
They are all the same speed, but I remember that years ago it was frowned upon to mis-match memory sizes.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Can anyone recommend some good fonts for mid-20th-century graphics like

or

I'm trying to create some similar sorts of images, but not having an easy time imitating the text.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Very Strange Things posted:

My friend and I both have MacBook Pros from the same basic batch, early 2011. His is an i7 2.5 (8,2) mine is an 15 2.3 (8,1). They both have 2 x 2 GB chips and they appear to both take the same kind of memory -and can take up to an 8 GB pc3-10600 1333mhz chip in each of the two slots.

I can get us a 16 GB kit (2 x 8GB) for around $100.
OR I can get us 4 GB chips for $24 each.
We don't really want to buy TWO of the 16GB kits -50 bux is about all we want to spend, each.

Is there any problem with adding one 8 GB chip to each laptop, and leaving one 2 GB chip in each, thus increasing both their memories to 10 GB?
They are all the same speed, but I remember that years ago it was frowned upon to mis-match memory sizes.

You'll be fine. Make sure the speeds are the same.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Is there an easy (and free, like in Paint.NET, GIMP, or similar) way to convert a simple raster image to a vector one? And then back to raster again so it can be easily opened/used by other programs that might not have the capability to use vector image formats?

Edit: V V V Yeah, I literally just noticed Inkscape after posting. It shouldn't be too hard, it's mostly straight lines. Trying to make some icon images for my phone bigger without them getting blurry. V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 10, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is there an easy (and free, like in Paint.NET, GIMP, or similar) way to convert a simple raster image to a vector one? And then back to raster again so it can be easily opened/used by other programs that might not have the capability to use vector image formats?
Inkscape will do it, but you're going to have to do a lot of cleanup unless the original image is high-contrast with well-defined edges.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Re: inkscape, look up tutorials on the "trace bitmap" command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terec
Dec 14, 2001
Cybernetic Crumb
Is there a real name for that fabric hat thing astronaunts wear under ther helmets?