Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Million Ghosts posted:

I'd love more RPGs that were more setting creative in general. Resonance of Fate had that down, too bad about the rest of it. Final Fantasy sorta tries but it's bogged down by needing to have FF stuff in it. Seems like most things follow the kind of medieval with some technology, slap magic in there but call it something else route. Or the future but everyone uses swords still and there's magic too direction.

Something straight up modern day without spells and mystic forces would be a nice change.

Or even with spell, like the Secret world. Maybe I need to give that game another chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Level Slide posted:

I attack with my +3 Mystic Crowbar.

A dude wielding a crowbar and a trashcan lid is way cooler than another goober with a sword and shield. :colbert:

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Just out of curiosity, what is it about community-patched Gothic 3 that people don't like? The combat isn't quite as good as Gothic 1/2 but it's still perfectly serviceable. You've got an enormous, sprawling world to explore, tons of quests, an interesting faction system, and more skills and spells than you can shake a stick at. The story and characters aren't as good as Gothic 1/2 but it's a worthy successor IMO.

Unpatched, sure--it was a buggy and unplayable mess at release, but with the community patch it's a solid and entertaining game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Million Ghosts posted:

I'd love more RPGs that were more setting creative in general. Resonance of Fate had that down, too bad about the rest of it. Final Fantasy sorta tries but it's bogged down by needing to have FF stuff in it. Seems like most things follow the kind of medieval with some technology, slap magic in there but call it something else route. Or the future but everyone uses swords still and there's magic too direction.

Something straight up modern day without spells and mystic forces would be a nice change.

FF isn't really "bogged down" by needing to have legacy elements in it. Nothing's stopping Square from making awesomely creative interpretations of all the good ol' Firagas and Bahamuts that fit whatever setting's chosen. They just don't feel the need to :effort:

Like how about a FF game set in something of a fascimile of WW2? Then just make all the enemies code names for actual soldiers (but preserve the game mechanics, e.g. the guys named Cactuar still do 1000 damage). And so on. Bam, interesting setting and all your favorites are still there. FF is only bogged down by its creators.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Just out of curiosity, what is it about community-patched Gothic 3 that people don't like? The combat isn't quite as good as Gothic 1/2 but it's still perfectly serviceable. You've got an enormous, sprawling world to explore, tons of quests, an interesting faction system, and more skills and spells than you can shake a stick at. The story and characters aren't as good as Gothic 1/2 but it's a worthy successor IMO.

Unpatched, sure--it was a buggy and unplayable mess at release, but with the community patch it's a solid and entertaining game.
Funny, most people think the combat is the one thing that is better. But really, the size actually kind of the problem, it's too big. Gothic 1 and 2 had personality crammed into every little bit of it, there was no wasted space. Nearly every NPC had at least a few unique lines or showed up in a quest at some point, while the game world was completely hand-made and had little interesting touches everywhere. Gothic 3 has a some of that too, but the game world is ten times as large as it needs to be, so it spreads itself too thin.

When I played it, I found that I always ended up kinda enjoying what I was doing right at the moment, but on the whole it just didn't feel as engaging. You could have stuffed all the content Gothic 3 had into a gameworld the size of Khorinis and it probably would have felt a billion times more alive and flavourful than it did.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
The combat IS better in the later Gothic/Risen games. Gothic 1 and 2's controls were so bad you fought more against them than your foes.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Sep 10, 2013

krebbed flam
Mar 10, 2013
Is there any particularly major reason why Suikoden 2 isn't on PSN, or is it one of those digital distribution mysteries?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Cross-posting this across several threads.

I wanted to let everyone know about Project Phoenix in case some people missed it or forgot about it: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1300298569/project-phoenix-japans-indie-rpg-feat-aaa-talent

A fun-looking JRPG/RTS made by well-known industry talent (including Nobuo Uematsu) working without salary, it'll be on Steam, Mac, Linux, PS4, Vita, and also on iOS/Android in more limited forms. 19 hours away from ending a success, but they're still a little over $100k from their next stretch goal. I'd like to see that met.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Suidoken 2 translation was so bad that some secret event was translated, has still Japanese or garbage text.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Bleusilences posted:

Suidoken 2 translation was so bad that some secret event was translated, has still Japanese or garbage text.

I only encounter that with the guy giving trading hints. The misapplied character portraits (especially in one Muse scene), not including Annabelle's song during her recruitment and the fact that Jowy's name is spelled 3 different ways throughout the game was more glaring. It is still one of my favorite games.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Amppelix posted:

FF isn't really "bogged down" by needing to have legacy elements in it. Nothing's stopping Square from making awesomely creative interpretations of all the good ol' Firagas and Bahamuts that fit whatever setting's chosen. They just don't feel the need to :effort:

Like how about a FF game set in something of a fascimile of WW2? Then just make all the enemies code names for actual soldiers (but preserve the game mechanics, e.g. the guys named Cactuar still do 1000 damage). And so on. Bam, interesting setting and all your favorites are still there. FF is only bogged down by its creators.

I agree in a way, but I think it's more a catch 22 where hardcore weirdo fans will flip poo poo if they change too much, so they feel like they can't, which has led to the status quo we've had for so long. if they suddenly change everything around, people will say how it's not a 'true' FF and the game is shunned, if it stays the same it's too stale. Either way someone's unhappy, but Square caters to the first group because they'll buy it no matter what as long as it has Chocobos and poo poo.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Kokoro Wish posted:

The combat IS better in the later Gothic/Risen games. Gothic 1 and 2's controls were so bad you fought more against them than your foes.

Actually I thought the exact opposite. I felt Gothic 3 (and on) had really dumbed down, floaty, imprecise combat. With the first 2, you had total & complete directional control of your swings (which had specific advantages/disadvantages depending on what the enemy was doing, spacing, what weapon you were using, etc...).

Also the engine for G3 is atrocious. They developed it wrong in the same way that the Saints Row 2 PC port was messed up, which led to a ton of stuttering because it was constantly pulling too much virtual memory from the hard drive or whatever. The problem back then was to disable virtual memory completely and have a ton of RAM (for the time). With Win7 & advances in hardware, this problem is probably (mostly) gone by now. The engine is still pretty shaky though; during the "liberation" missions (ie wipe out entire towns of orcs), you can still look the wrong way and suddenly crash to desktop due to too many assets on-screen or something.

It was just too ambitious in combination with dumbed down combat. Also the stealth system sucks.

Honest Thief posted:

We don't talk about Gothic 3, just go right to RIsen
Yeah Risen owns. Too bad the sequel wasn't as great.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 10, 2013

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
We don't talk about Gothic 3, just go right to RIsen

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm surprised there weren't ever any fan retranslation attempts considering what a cult hit Suikoden 2 was. I guess people were more interested in making Kefka swear in FF6.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm surprised there weren't ever any fan retranslation attempts considering what a cult hit Suikoden 2 was. I guess people were more interested in making Kefka swear in FF6.

From what I understand, modifying and inserting the script is kind of a pain in the rear end for it, as it is in a lot of PSX games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The second a game is translated, even with a bad translation, there's no real interest in redoing it unless it's really really easy to do so. It's the same reason FFVII never got a retranslation despite being more popular and a huge mess.

For SII, it's a real pain to get the script into the game and the existing translation is 'good enough' so nobody really cares.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

No full retranslations, but some group did a touch-up of the script and code. It fixes some good things like the name glitch and the music glitch, and repairs all instances of gibberish text and even makes Jowy consistent (even though they went and made it Joey, I've always been a fan of the Jowy spelling). It's loving garbage, though, because they went full Kefka Should Swear and made changes like making Mazus into "Mathaiers" and changing Futch to "Futchie."

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The second a game is translated, even with a bad translation, there's no real interest in redoing it unless it's really really easy to do so. It's the same reason FFVII never got a retranslation despite being more popular and a huge mess.

For SII, it's a real pain to get the script into the game and the existing translation is 'good enough' so nobody really cares.

Yeah, as one of the handful of people both experienced enough and stupid enough to consider doing this (I did the hacking for Suikogaiden Vol. 1 & 2 and Suikoden Card Stories), it's a pain, and in fact if I were going to do it I'd strongly consider cutting to the chase and working from Suikoden I & II PSP. There's a French group doing just that, with an English translation in parallel, but they've been quiet lately. The NES and SNES are pretty understood, but although PSX hacking isn't really that hard people are still a lot more used to older systems (thus, three Chrono Trigger retranslations).

Dec 26, 2012

Genpei Turtle posted:

I've actually been playing (community-patched) Gothic 3 for a first runthrough now, so good timing on this discussion. The faction system really disappoints me, honestly - maybe I'm just not in it thick enough but from here it's way more straightforward than the setups of either of the original 2 games or Risen. The size and scope of it are really nice and liberations are nice in concept (but not in framerate! also they're kind of boring once they're over because you have no reason to go back to that town usually) but it really needed a bit more time to gel and be more of a thing.

The Joe Man posted:

Actually I thought the exact opposite. I felt Gothic 3 (and on) had really dumbed down, floaty, imprecise combat. With the first 2, you had total & complete directional control of your swings (which had specific advantages/disadvantages depending on what the enemy was doing, spacing, what weapon you were using, etc...).

I thought that way about Gothic 3 at first, but as I've been playing on I've developed a bit more appreciation for the system, and it does exhibit a lot of what you mentioned as good about 1 and 2 - your timing just has to be impeccable. The main issue is that the controls just aren't nearly responsive enough to make it consistently doable - I'm coming at it from having played a lot of Dark Souls, and when I want to be blocking and it decides it doesn't feel like it that absolutely annoys me. Also the camera is irritatingly floaty and tends to stick, which you can get used to eventually in third person mode (though it makes bow aiming a pain in the rear end) but is downright nauseating in first person mode. It bothers me in the same way that a lot of games that have potential do because it's so close to being a very solid system but just didn't quite get there.

quote:

Yeah Risen owns. Too bad the sequel wasn't as great.

The sequel is at least consistently spread out content-wise, unlike the awful second half of Risen where you do very little except fight lizard-guys for a whole lot of hours.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

No full retranslations, but some group did a touch-up of the script and code. It fixes some good things like the name glitch and the music glitch, and repairs all instances of gibberish text and even makes Jowy consistent (even though they went and made it Joey, I've always been a fan of the Jowy spelling). It's loving garbage, though, because they went full Kefka Should Swear and made changes like making Mazus into "Mathaiers" and changing Futch to "Futchie."

I don't know what weird loving patch you're talking about, but none of that negative stuff is true of the good patch that people actually use. http://suikodenbugfixes.wikispaces.com/Suikoden+II+Patch+Files

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Wendell posted:

I don't know what weird loving patch you're talking about, but none of that negative stuff is true of the good patch that people actually use. http://suikodenbugfixes.wikispaces.com/Suikoden+II+Patch+Files
Ooh, poo poo, this one looks nice. Yeah, the one I saw was some trash from the Suikosource forums.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

01011001 posted:

I've actually been playing (community-patched) Gothic 3 for a first runthrough now, so good timing on this discussion. The faction system really disappoints me, honestly - maybe I'm just not in it thick enough but from here it's way more straightforward than the setups of either of the original 2 games or Risen. The size and scope of it are really nice and liberations are nice in concept (but not in framerate! also they're kind of boring once they're over because you have no reason to go back to that town usually) but it really needed a bit more time to gel and be more of a thing.

The orcs/rebels factions is admittedly the most boring of the factions. It's more interesting later on when it comes to the Innos/Adanos/Beliar factions, which (potentially) give your hero different powers depending on who you pick. For orcs/rebels it's more to your advantage not to pick a side (outside of liberating the first town which you have to do) until the very end since the towns largely lose a lot of their life once one side has "won."

The complaints about combat I get though, and I don't understand why anyone would prefer Gothic 3's combat over 1/2 TBH. Unlike Gothic 3, in Gothic 1/2 you get a whole range of different types of attacks. Plus once you train up in a skill in-game your animations become more fluid and responsive, which makes a huge difference in combat.

Complaints about the engine (especially now) I don't get though--even back in late 2007 when I got it, I never had any problems with performance or crashes. I did use the community patch though, and maybe I just lucked out on my choice of hardware for my rig's. :shrug:

Overall I thought it was a pretty decent game--Gothic 1 and 2 were definitely better, but it's not the festering piece of garbage it's often made out to be. (The standalone Gothic 3 expansion pack absolutely is though)

quote:

The sequel is at least consistently spread out content-wise, unlike the awful second half of Risen where you do very little except fight lizard-guys for a whole lot of hours.

I agree, but the content in Risen 2 also wasn't very good for the most part. The options for character building were especially atrocious. It's like they thought "let's make a pirate RPG" and gave your character a bunch of pirate-y skills without actually thinking out whether they'd actually be fun first.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Wendell posted:

Well thanks for giving me an excuse to play Suikoden 2 for like the 5th time :v:.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Million Ghosts posted:

A dude wielding a crowbar and a trashcan lid is way cooler than another goober with a sword and shield. :colbert:

I don't know how between this and a modern setting people haven't recommended the Shadow Hearts series. Help out Al Capone while wielding a giant tuna!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hackan Slash posted:

I don't know how between this and a modern setting people haven't recommended the Shadow Hearts series. Help out Al Capone while wielding a giant tuna!

I really liked SH1 and 2 but found 3 a bit forced. They clearly were trying to recapture what they did in 2 and it didn't work as well. :smith:

Which is a shame because "Al Capone and Elliot Ness are your supporting cast" would have been a great thing otherwise.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
What are the best indie RPGs out there?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Hackan Slash posted:

For whatever reason I couldn't get into Shadow Hearts at all. I only played whichever one has the big drunk cat and the "ninja" guy, but it didn't grab me.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Million Ghosts posted:

For whatever reason I couldn't get into Shadow Hearts at all. I only played whichever one has the big drunk cat and the "ninja" guy, but it didn't grab me.

That's the third one, and as was mentioned above it's the least interesting of the bunch. Of course, that may just be because they ditch the characters from 1 & 2, who in my opinion were much more likable.

The real Shadow Hearts 3 is to play the first one again

Dec 26, 2012

Genpei Turtle posted:

The orcs/rebels factions is admittedly the most boring of the factions. It's more interesting later on when it comes to the Innos/Adanos/Beliar factions, which (potentially) give your hero different powers depending on who you pick. For orcs/rebels it's more to your advantage not to pick a side (outside of liberating the first town which you have to do) until the very end since the towns largely lose a lot of their life once one side has "won."

Good to know on all accounts.

quote:

The complaints about combat I get though, and I don't understand why anyone would prefer Gothic 3's combat over 1/2 TBH. Unlike Gothic 3, in Gothic 1/2 you get a whole range of different types of attacks. Plus once you train up in a skill in-game your animations become more fluid and responsive, which makes a huge difference in combat.

It's not just that they become more fluid/responsive, they change. Like in Gothic 1 whoever your one-handed teacher is tells you not to two-hand your weapon, and then your character doesn't. It was an absolute loving revelation the first time I saw that and I don't think any game since has replicated that, and certainly not Gothic 3's.

quote:

I agree, but the content in Risen 2 also wasn't very good for the most part. The options for character building were especially atrocious. It's like they thought "let's make a pirate RPG" and gave your character a bunch of pirate-y skills without actually thinking out whether they'd actually be fun first.

The talky bits were pretty ok, and that's most of what I meant by content being spread out. The combat (which I guess is the actual content as far as the part you spend a lot of time on) was a loving mess and half the skills/talents either didn't work or didn't operate on the enemies you were fighting regularly.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So when going through my backlog, I usually like to pair up a console game and a handheld game so that I can switch between the two for a bit of variety. That's gone well for a couple of years now. My latest combo is Radiant Historia and Tales of Graces f. As it turns out, the worst combo of all because I'm really struggling to get through Graces and am absolutely in love with Radiant Historia. I'm not sure what I was expecting with RH but it is far better than I expected. So I'm putting in far more hours into it over Graces.

With Graces it's not so much that it's bad, it's that it's just kind of boring and the CC system (among other gameplay features) just isn't clicking with me at all. I'll still definitely beat it, eventually.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 11, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

The problem is that SH3 basically only got made because SH2 was a really unexpected success. Nobody thought it would do very well and then it did and it's really clear the developers have no idea why it did. So they tried to copy the previous game and ended up making something far less interesting and far more forced. They improved the combat system a little but it was overall a far worse game.

SH1 and SH2 had way better atmosphere in general, even if they had their own batch of flaws.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I have Radiant Historia sitting in a 3DS less than ten feet from me... and if I can tear myself away from these drat Ys games I might even get around to playing it.

This is looking like a good couple of months for my backlog-working-through so far.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ManOfTheYear posted:

The Spiderweb Software games have a reliable reputation.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

ImpAtom posted:

The problem is that SH3 basically only got made because SH2 was a really unexpected success. Nobody thought it would do very well and then it did and it's really clear the developers have no idea why it did. So they tried to copy the previous game and ended up making something far less interesting and far more forced. They improved the combat system a little but it was overall a far worse game.

SH1 and SH2 had way better atmosphere in general, even if they had their own batch of flaws.

A guy I know was telling me about Shadow Hearts way back in the day, saying you had to kill Francis Bacon or some other crazy thing like that. If the first 2 are good I should probably give those a shot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

A guy I know was telling me about Shadow Hearts way back in the day, saying you had to kill Francis Bacon or some other crazy thing like that. If the first 2 are good I should probably give those a shot.

The Shadow Hearts games are all about historical references. The first game is actually a little-known PSX game called Koudelka which is basically Resident Evil: The RPG. (It isn't very good but I have a soft spot for it anyway) but the three Shadow Hearts games amp that up by a significant degree. You get Mata Hari and Princess Anastasia as party members for example, and take on Rasputin and (yes) Francis Bacon.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 11, 2013

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm looking for RPGs with good romances. What have ya'll played that ya'll would recommend?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

I'm looking for RPGs with good romances. What have ya'll played that ya'll would recommend?

Uh. How are we qualifying good here?

To be honest there are not a lot which focus on the romance plot. There are some with nice incidental background romances but generally the ones that focus heavily on it tends to descend heavily into melodrama or creepy datesim territory.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spikeguy posted:

The Last Story on the Wii has a pretty decent one with well-rounded characters. There's an LP running if you want to check that out.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Spikeguy posted:

Xenogears has a fairly important romance plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

Fortune Summoners owns.