Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Fenarisk posted:

Why is it a shame when it's long overdue?

All I see is a gimmick that confines sales to people who own tablets capable of running the software. Minis aren't exactly a killer app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

People have been disastrously trying to tech-infuse gaming since Dark Tower and VCR football. It's not an overdue idea, it's an old one. And it's been a guaranteed money loser for decades.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

People have been disastrously trying to tech-infuse gaming since Dark Tower and VCR football. It's not an overdue idea, it's an old one. And it's been a guaranteed money loser for decades.
:colbert: Are you badmouthing Dark Tower?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah, I don't get the appeal. Essentially you exist to pick up a model and move it while the tablet does all of the die rolling and resolution?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Bieeardo posted:

All I see is a gimmick that confines sales to people who own tablets capable of running the software. Minis aren't exactly a killer app.

I personally don't know anyone that doesn't have a tablet or smartphone at this point, it works on all platforms including $50 android tablets or phones which the majority of the population have anyway. It's a logical next step for a lot of media.

Moths posted:

It's been a guaranteed money loser for decades.
Yes VCR games sure are the same tech possibilities as wifi and Bluetooth enabled cheap tablets and touchscreen anywhere software that is becoming so ubiquitous. Heaven forbid trad games use a useful and plentiful technology to evolve and reach more people.

I'd personally like more AR options as seen through the cameras of devices but that's just me. It's a start in the right direction.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Actually I think this is just the type of thing that could help new people get into the whole minifig wargaming thing. Like me.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Fenarisk posted:

I personally don't know anyone that doesn't have a tablet or smartphone at this point, it works on all platforms including $50 android tablets or phones which the majority of the population have anyway. It's a logical next step for a lot of media.

I think you're making a huge assumption about tablet penetration rates, here. Several, even. I know a few people who own them, and never use the things. I doubt either of our anecdotal samples are exactly representative of the gaming population, for that matter.

Regardless, all I'm seeing here is basically a hopped-up version of those computerized chessboards they sold at Radio Shack back in the Eighties.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

We've seen a few "hybrid" crowdfunds lately. One for a Risk-esque board game, "Leaders" just limped over its $8000 (no idea how they plan on delivering anything with that little base money) goal a bit ago - I like that this one at least has a reasonable budget. I think that should be a positive sign for potential backers.

This one isn't something I'm likely interested in; it feels like an awkward interface for a computer game. But I do think there's potential for hybrid games, especially co-op games. Having a computer DM/arch-opponent would be a lot more satisfying (potentially anyway) than fighting the random "AI"s we're seeing in current co-op boardgames. But that computer will have to operate, I think, without a bunch of manual interface.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
I see no appeal in using a stylus to roll dice and make rules decisions.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Road/Kill is back with a better looking KS and painted models. Looks to be on the scale of Car Wars. Little pricey though for a starter with models.

I wouldn't mind this for Car Wars if the minis were cheaper, but I don't think I need a slimmed-down Car Wars, especially with its forebear getting kickstarted for a new edition in the foreseeable future. It looks like it's really trying to be a slimmer game, but it still looks really derivative (uses 2d6, same scale, same vehicle sheets, "innovative" turning key...).

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Direwolf posted:

I see no appeal in using a stylus to roll dice and make rules decisions.

I was interested up to the point in the video where he went "click, oh, I missed" - like someone said, that feels like the game plays itself and you're just there to push minis around (and I know you can use dice instead, the presentation just took me aback).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

:colbert: Are you badmouthing Dark Tower?

I wanted Dark Tower SOOOO BADLY as a child (note the avatar); instead, I got the D&D Electronic Board Game (the first electronic board game ever!), which I still have because I have no idea what to do with it (it's not a fun game).

I don't think electronic-ized board games will be a big hit until we can play with holograms like in Star Wars.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

moths posted:

Skylanders and Disney Infinity seem to be doing well, making tens of millions of dollars a quarter in profits.

It the input method is an asset instead of a hindrance Golem Arcana could be pretty good. What I'm not sure I like about it is that it even uses a special board, that means no custom terrain. I wasn't too happy about having to touch the stylus to the figure either, but I see in the videos you can just touch it to their reference card.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I wouldn't mind this for Car Wars if the minis were cheaper, but I don't think I need a slimmed-down Car Wars, especially with its forebear getting kickstarted for a new edition in the foreseeable future. It looks like it's really trying to be a slimmer game, but it still looks really derivative (uses 2d6, same scale, same vehicle sheets, "innovative" turning key...).

I'm with you. This looks way too Car Wars derivative, especially considering that one of the voted-on design goals for the new edition of CW is to make it streamlined and faster to play.

Beef Steakwell
Jul 30, 2012
A game I've been playtesting and had an incredible amount of fun with has just started its kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/820113175/404-law-not-found?ref=search
 It's been getting some pretty solid reviews, to my experience of it the excerpt that sums it up best is "Playing it feels a little like FTL mixed up with RoboRally, finished off with a bit of its own Ingredient X."

If you need convincing that it's worth your time, it only costs £1 to get access to the print and play demo.

Beef Steakwell fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 12, 2013

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Beef Steakwell posted:

A game I've been playtesting and had an incredible amount of fun with has just started its kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...4-law-not-found
 It's been getting some pretty solid reviews, to my experience of it the excerpt that sums it up best is "Playing it feels a little like FTL mixed up with RoboRally, finished off with a bit of its own Ingredient X."

If you need convincing that it's worth your , it only costs £1 to get access to the print and play demo.

bad link there bub, perhaps share the name?

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

Beef Steakwell posted:

A game I've been playtesting and had an incredible amount of fun with has just started its kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/820113175/404-law-not-found?ref=search

If you need convincing that it's worth your , it only costs £1 to get access to the print and play demo.

Fixed the URL for you :) Looks like an interesting game!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

LumberingTroll posted:

Skylanders and Disney Infinity seem to be doing well, making tens of millions of dollars a quarter in profits.
Yeah, but those are video games that use a toy that carries what is essentially an importable character file that allows you to transport your character to other games. Skylanders is nothing like Golem Arcana.

Swagger Dagger posted:

I'm with you. This looks way too Car Wars derivative, especially considering that one of the voted-on design goals for the new edition of CW is to make it streamlined and faster to play.
Is SJG doing a Car Wars KS? I would be so all over that if they did...

demota posted:

This does look pretty fun. I kind of wish it was a straight card game though - I find myself wanting less "stuff" with my games as I grow older.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 11, 2013

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Is SJG doing a Car Wars KS? I would be so all over that if they did...

Yes, but it's going to be a while since they're still dealing with the last bits of Ogre and trying to catch up with everything that Ogre bumped off the schedule.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I do have a t-shirt from it that reads "I made Steve Jackson work on Car Wars", which is akin to a contract signed in blood, and there is a private forum that has been discussing it.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Thedandmom posted:

With the kickstarter over, I've begun working on getting illustrations done for the cards. Here is a sample of the Cosmic suit. This is the Star Graveyard. All the cosmic cards will have a bit of a spacey sci fi feel to them while keeping the the fantasy.
Man, I know this is going to have me questioning over and over which illustration to get...

Beef Steakwell
Jul 30, 2012

demota posted:

LumberingTroll posted:

bad link there bub, perhaps share the name?

Thanks guys, I've corrected it now, I messed up the link through cross posting.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Love it or hate it, Lamentations of the Flame Princess just launched a crowd funding campaign for its new referee book. http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lotfp-hardcover-referee-book

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
The free rpg day book for that was...really weird.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I wonder how many drawings of women being mutilated they're adding into this new edition.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So did he finally deliver on his first two crowdfunding efforts, or has he conveniently forgotten to do that again?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I know some things have gone out that were crowd funded, I don't think everything has though.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Swagger Dagger posted:

I wonder how many drawings of women being mutilated they're adding into this new edition.

That and a lot of uncomfortable Lovecraftian demon rape stuff.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Many gruesome scenes but demon rape? I don't remember seeing that in any Lamentations material I have seen with the possibly exception of Death Love Doom.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

nesbit37 posted:

Many gruesome scenes but demon rape? I don't remember seeing that in any Lamentations material I have seen with the possibly exception of Death Love Doom.

You know a game's quality when you have an exception to your lack of demon rape.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I say exception because I haven't read that module but I know it has something weird to do with the author's divorce or something. It could be chock full of demon rape but considering what I know about the rest of the material I find that unlikely.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, but those are video games that use a toy that carries what is essentially an importable character file that allows you to transport your character to other games. Skylanders is nothing like Golem Arcana.

Yeah. The appeal of those games is that you buy a toy that you can play with, and then you can also take it and put it in a videogame and play with it that way. I don't particularly want that myself, but since it's aimed at kids and kids -do- (apparently) want that, it's going gangbusters. It's really not the same scenario as Golem Arcana, which makes me go "okay, so you're digitizing the rules implementation...now you just need to digitize the rest of it and I might be interested".

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm not really a tabletop wargamer myself so my opinion is even moreso coming from the peanut gallery here but yeah, that's my impression too...I'm not quite sure that the benefits to half-digitizing a tabletop minis game are worth a half-million dollar crowdfunding investment. It kind of straddles this weird neither-fish-nor-fowl area where if you're going to digitize all the heavy lifting why not go all the way and just make, y'know, a videogame? A fully digital "tabletop miniatures" wargame would be pretty cool honestly, not like a Dawn of War-esque RTS but a full on assemble an army, place terrain, then play against your opponent in tabletop style, only on a PC or tablet. I'm sure you could microtransaction monetize the hell out of something like that too...unit skins, booster packs, battle gear, etc.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
I was out of town for a while so I wasn't able to get into some stuff, but here's an update on interesting looking stuff:

Doll by the guy who made Heroine through Kickstarter. This is a short-duration storygame (I think) for two players, and the buy-in for physical is cheap ($4) because it fits on a postcard, but a stretch goal already funded an "advanced" version in PDF. It's got some of the usual suspects doing work on it too.

The Robotic Age is all about playing robots, cyborgs, and such. That's the whole point, apparently, and the art is pretty.

Mazaki no Fantaji looks interesting but needs help. It has about 3 weeks left and is trying to hit 50% funding. It is by the same folks who did Early Dark through Kickstarter before. Apparently the name is a callback to Miyazaki the animated filmmaker.

The pitch for the system that I have heard puts it somewhere in the same territory as games like Fate because it has Aspect-like mechanics for how your character does stuff, but there's also other elements. You roll a certain number of dice, opposed by the GM or another player, and the highest roll on your opposition is the target number you want. There's a token system to help you build rising drama/tension/power, and there's also a poker-like element where the GM can frame a conflict's resolution based on what communal ideas get to play out for folks at the table (sort of like a Flop, I guess?). There's a Quickstart on DTRPG for you to check out ahead of time. Interestingly enough, I read that the main designer behind this has only played D&D itself once.

Jadepunk will be doing versions in Fate Core, * World, and Cortex Plus for sure, no need for stretch goals, assuming it gets funded. The writers took on feedback from backers and interested non-backers to make it a stronger project, I think. They have also talked about doing a 13th Age version, pending getting a copy of the corebook for that to familiarize themselves with the mechanics, but is probably not going to be part of the current drive. Or maybe it will if something spiffy happens.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Why does that golem game come with dice if the tablet is doing all the work?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I desperately want a hybrid minis game that works. I hate having to flip through rulebooks and fumble around with lists of units to play a minis game. Is Golem Arcana that game? Maybe, but probably not. I think the tech side needs a bit more refinement before it's really going to work and I'm really afraid that the need to monetize such a game may be a tough hurdle to get past.

Jordan made Mage Knight and Hero Clicks, and his last minis game had some cool mechanics but was a pretty uninteresting IP. Maybe he can catch lightning in a bottle again with this game, but I won't know until it is available in retail.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Swagger Dagger posted:

I imagine that depends on how many stretch goals he reaches.

Second wave of Shadowfist arrived the other day, as an international backer I was about the last to get it. IK Games put in an Action Pack instead of my token pack, words shall be had.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Phoon posted:

Why does that golem game come with dice if the tablet is doing all the work?

Because you can roll the dice and enter your results with the stylus.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Half-digital gaming: You can do something, and then do even more busywork to resolve it!

Really, the problem with the concept is stuff like this. Entering results with a stylus after rolling? Why did we get a piece of software at all? A lot of the time, the problem is simply in the flow of information between the table and the game, and making the player do data entry to let the two halves of the game communicate is a bad idea.

But all the solutions to that problem just highlight the more basic design problems. for instance, if they do electronic dice that communicate their results based on which face is up, they might as well make the dice entirely software based, and then they've removed an element from the tabletop altogether. I don't have a clue how to resolve it, but I don't see much more of a clue from this kickstarter either.

e: I'm taking further chat on this to the industry thread I guess!

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I cannot tell you all how sad I am I didn't get in on the Ponies for Pathfinder kickstarter.

• Locked thread