Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

cKnoor posted:

Or we can just stick with suggesting Humans or Orks for starting players like we should.

You don't have to play with the teams for long but not only do they teach you the basic, they also allows you to learn what type of play style you like.

If you're passing a lot then maybe an elf teams is good for you.
If you like to run away and out manoeuvre you opponent then maybe skaven, lizardmen or undead might work.
If you're just standing around bashing then you might want to check out Chaos or Ch.orfs.

The reason most other teams aren't great is that they won't give you a little bit of everything, ork or humans will.

Another pro tip for beginner is to look through the rulebook, it's pretty well written and you'll find it in your install folder if you're playing BB:CE. Don't confuse it with the game manual though, that one is poo poo and the only useful info is on the back of it where all the short cuts are.

Edit: For the record, I learned to play the game with a Dark Elf team, it was ok, but it took longer than it should have to get good at slow playing and proper passing.
Starting race is at the end of day something that doesn't matter too much, but using humans and orks let's just get a hang on the game faster and allows you to better evaluate the other races on a gameplay stand point rather than just "coolness".
/\/\/\/\/\
Wisdom.

There is a reason that both the second and third edition Blood Bowl table top box-sets contained Orcs and Humans as the starting teams; they are balanced and they teach you how to play the fundamentals of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I took my thoughts on getting started with Blood Bowl and put them into a flowchart. Feel free to analyze the poo poo out of it.

The general idea is that you want to start with humans until you get a good feel for them, then start working your way down. It's not perfect, but it basically represents what I think is the best way to introduce yourself to a given team. By no means am I saying "You must play elves and high elves before you can play delves", go ahead a skip some teams if you don't want to play them, but if you're trying out elfs for the first time it couldn't hurt.

e- replace the bottom right "Orc" with "Halflings"

Oh I forgot Skaven, put them on their own path connected to "Elf" with "Insane Speed, High Specialization"

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 10, 2013

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde
Personally I would reorganize the elf tier like this

code:
High elf --more speed + staying away --> wood elf -- more passing -> Pro Elf
       \---- more bash -> Dark Elf

The tree is a cool idea, but it also seems like on of those things that could get reorder forever and ever and ever.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

GNU Order posted:

I refuse. :colbert:

GNU Order posted:

Oh I forgot Skaven, put them on their own path connected to "Elf" with "Insane Speed, High Specialization"

How could you forget Skaven, the master race of bloodbowl? Your chart is useless and invalid.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

cKnoor posted:

Personally I would reorganize the elf tier like this

code:
High elf --more speed + staying away --> wood elf -- more passing -> Pro Elf
       \---- more bash -> Dark Elf

The tree is a cool idea, but it also seems like on of those things that could get reorder forever and ever and ever.

(I initially had helf leading to elf leading to delf and welf but I decided to change it)
Yeah, I was by no means trying to write the book on team selection in blood bowl. The "What Team Should New/Inexperienced Players Play" question comes up a lot and I just wanted to approach it from a way that would be interesting.

I'd actually be interested to see what somebody else's take on this would be, though

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
How on earth is khorne more bashy than chaos. Khorne can barely out bash humans.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
They're not bashier than chaos, they're frenzyier.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Steve Holt! posted:

Sure hands guarantees fumbles.

So it does the exact opposite of what its supposed to do? :psyduck:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Away all Goats posted:

Basically, yes. It's related to why Diving tackle never works if your opponent forgets you have it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Away all Goats posted:

It's a joke :ssh:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

uPen posted:

Basically, yes. It's related to why Diving tackle never works if your opponent forgets you have it.

Same thing with Shadowing really.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

GNU Order posted:

I took my thoughts on getting started with Blood Bowl and put them into a flowchart. Feel free to analyze the poo poo out of it.

The general idea is that you want to start with humans until you get a good feel for them, then start working your way down. It's not perfect, but it basically represents what I think is the best way to introduce yourself to a given team. By no means am I saying "You must play elves and high elves before you can play delves", go ahead a skip some teams if you don't want to play them, but if you're trying out elfs for the first time it couldn't hurt.

I would put Norse off the specialization branch from orcs as glass cannons.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Blackmage Yapo posted:

I would put Norse off the specialization branch from orcs as glass cannons.

You mean the one at the bottom that should say halfers right?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Wooper posted:

"more fouling"

Yep, sounds about right.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

RabidWeasel posted:

It's a joke :ssh:
No the real joke is my thrower with sure hands fumbling the ball for 7 straight turns :negative:

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Wooper posted:

Hardly, halfers are more sturdy than Norse and do more damage.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I get it when Naggaroth opponents disconnect on inducements because they don't want to fight my dwarf team. I just wish the game didn't make me wait 1 minute to queue again.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I bought this game a week or so ago with no prior experience with the game beyond reading part of the Let's Play. It's been pretty fun so far, albeit frustrating. What's the best skill to get for a multiplayer Ogre team when they level up? I've put Guard on the one I drop into the scrim and Block on the one who rolled doubles but a third is close to getting level 2 and I'm wondering if I've been making mistakes with my first two.
Should I be getting Break Tackle or something instead?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

ZeroCount posted:

I bought this game a week or so ago with no prior experience with the game beyond reading part of the Let's Play. It's been pretty fun so far, albeit frustrating. What's the best skill to get for a multiplayer Ogre team when they level up? I've put Guard on the one I drop into the scrim and Block on the one who rolled doubles but a third is close to getting level 2 and I'm wondering if I've been making mistakes with my first two.
Should I be getting Break Tackle or something instead?

I'm going to get this out of the way and say that since you're new to the game, maybe you should try playing more forgiving team (IE one that doesn't need half its players to roll 2+ every turn to function).

Having said that, for ogres you're pretty safe getting a nice spread of skills for all your players. Keep in mind your ogres are going to be doing all the punching, and they're ST5. For the most part, they aren't going to need much assisting, so while Guard is a good skill to have on maybe 2-3 of them (to start, if you really keep playing and get up there in TV you should have more Guard guys), I'd also pick up one or two with Grab to pull guys around, or break tackle like you pointed out. Piling On is also a good option to maximize your killing potential, but it would also leave your ogre vulnerable to fouling in some situations. On doubles, block is bar-none your best choice. Other options are frenzy for extreme killing (which would combo well with guard and stand firm) or dodge (which would combo with Break Tackle and guard for getting in the way).

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I really think block is your only choice on first double for ogres. They are already so far behind because of all the bonehead that it's the only way to make them slightly competitive. On second skill then you can go for dodge etc.

I also agree that you should switch to a different team though. Talking about how bad a single big guy is above applies to Ogres much more and they are literally the worst team in the game.

Washout fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 14, 2013

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Thanks guys. I just started an Elf team and after Ogres these guys feel like I'm cheating.

iron_weasel
Oct 17, 2011

But then a tea bowl that is too perfect has no charm.
Ug, I am playing a league final match and the game is stuck on a shadowing bug. My opponent chose to shadow, but his guy isn't moving and my rat ogre keeps running in place. Anybody know a work around?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've had a couple of games in the last week lock up at different places. Not one of us dropping, just freezing after an action without continuing to the confirmation popup for an apothecary or block location or whatever. Did some patch mess things up or have I just been "lucky" to get a cluster of the bug?

It was a pity too, because this last game was pretty fun. Scatterball in the rain managed to chain its way to one of my Sauruses in a scrum with two mummies and some more of my guys, and I got to figure out how to get 2DBs and push them clear so I could run with it, because there's no way a 1Agi Saurus is making dodge or handoff rolls.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Bruceski posted:

there's no way a 1Agi Saurus is making dodge or handoff rolls.

Just an FYI, the handoffer doesn't have to make any rolls, only the receiver. I'd still recommend scoring with the Saurus, but if your ever in that situation and it isn't possible handing off to a skink is an option.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
I got gifted the Legendary edition a long time ago and I only recently got into Blood Bowl. Wow is this game good.

I am currently working on an Undead team named after the NWA with appropriate theme and names.

NWA of course means Necrospawn wit Attitudes. With Dr Dre and Slim Shady as Wight superstars and Eazy E and Ice Cube as Mummies.

I got some questions
1. What determines a MVP?
2. Why can't I save during a game?
3. Why can't I activate Steam Overlay?
4. How does campaign mode work? Can I replay cups or if I lose enough cups will I be permanently behind the better teams later on?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

MVP is totally random. So get used to having a Zombie that died on the first turn getting one.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

jerichojx posted:

I got some questions
1. What determines a MVP?
2. Why can't I save during a game?
3. Why can't I activate Steam Overlay?
4. How does campaign mode work? Can I replay cups or if I lose enough cups will I be permanently behind the better teams later on?

1. It's Random.
2. If you're talking about single-player, I think it's only possible at the start of a drive.
3. It's a glitch.
4. IIRC in single player, you just lose the campaign. Only ever tried it out myself like once so there you go.

Most people play multi since the ai is godawful and does the most stupid poo poo.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah. I have only played a handful of matches but my MVP has always been a particular zombie.

Also, I don't know man. The AI is good enough to beat me on Easy.:ironicat:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The AI probably wins more often on easy than it does on hard. On hard, it tries to play it safe, but it ends up taking so few risks that they don't ever accomplish anything and you're able to win easily in almost every match. On easy, they completely throw caution to the wind and do ridiculously stupid stuff every single turn. So stupid and reckless, it works every once in a while. They're still easy to beat because they're TOO reckless, but it's the kind of playstyle that gets rewarded by luckstreaks and can possibly win some matches if the dice goes the AI's way. It's also an incredibly frustrating playstyle specifically because they will succeed in their stupidity every once in a while.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
You'll learn much faster against people too - hit us up in IRC and check out cknoor's youtube guides and you'll be non-terrible in no time!

I only ever play against the AI when I want to mess around - my grab chaos team who's only goal is to surf all the players every match would probably finish as many games as Furril's murder teams if I played them online.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Sep 21, 2013

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010

AlsoD posted:

You'll learn much faster against people too - hit us up in IRC and check out cknoor's youtube guides and you'll be non-terrible in no time!

I only ever play against the AI when I want to mess around - my grab chaos team who's only goal is to surf all the players every match would probably finish as many games as Furril's murder teams if I played them online.

Oh snap. Cknoor is a goon? I actually been following his channel to pick up tips

I have been using his starting formation.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

siggy2021 posted:

Just an FYI, the handoffer doesn't have to make any rolls, only the receiver. I'd still recommend scoring with the Saurus, but if your ever in that situation and it isn't possible handing off to a skink is an option.

Oh really? I think I've probably been assuming too many die rolls for particular skills. It can be difficult to track the log when lots of things happen at once. Is this correct then:

Handoff: Receiver makes a Catch roll (affected by tackle zones for either person?)
Pass: Thrower makes a pass roll (affected by tackle zones) -1 per range increment, up to one guy in the middle makes an intercept roll, receiver makes a catch roll (affected by tackle zones)

Is a scatterpass versus a dropped one determined by whether the pass roll was a 1 or a 2+ but not successful?

GCValentine
Oct 25, 2007
Important Event

LibbyM posted:

I get it when Naggaroth opponents disconnect on inducements because they don't want to fight my dwarf team. I just wish the game didn't make me wait 1 minute to queue again.

This is your deserved punishment, working as intended.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

jerichojx posted:

Oh snap. Cknoor is a goon?

Look up the page a bit.

His first democracy chaos team got its skills from a thread in the lp subforum.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

jerichojx posted:

Yeah. I have only played a handful of matches but my MVP has always been a particular zombie.

Also, I don't know man. The AI is good enough to beat me on Easy.:ironicat:

The AI is better on easy than it is on hard. The Hard ai is super aggressive and makes dumb plays that don't work so it just gets turnovers while the easy ai plays it safe.

e: The ai is still always poo poo though, it's godawful.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

uPen posted:

The AI is better on easy than it is on hard. The Hard ai is super aggressive and makes dumb plays that don't work so it just gets turnovers while the easy ai plays it safe.

e: The ai is still always poo poo though, it's godawful.

Erm, the opposite is true. Hard AI is specifically meant to play "smart" or safe, while the easy AI is meant to play "dumb" or risky. Also this has the odd effect of making the hard AI completely ineffective because they're too safe ("Oh it's turn 15 and I have the ball at the LOS? I'll just cage up and stay put"), while making the easy AI occasionally luck out.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
It's obvious that the dude who coded the AI was a really bad player, or a poo poo dev, or both.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Erm, the opposite is true. Hard AI is specifically meant to play "smart" or safe, while the easy AI is meant to play "dumb" or risky. Also this has the odd effect of making the hard AI completely ineffective because they're too safe ("Oh it's turn 15 and I have the ball at the LOS? I'll just cage up and stay put"), while making the easy AI occasionally luck out.

The difference between Easy AI and Hard AI is that the Easy AI's plan will succeed 1/36 of the time, whereas the Hard AI's plan will do something 0/36 of the time.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Bruceski posted:

Oh really? I think I've probably been assuming too many die rolls for particular skills. It can be difficult to track the log when lots of things happen at once. Is this correct then:

Handoff: Receiver makes a Catch roll (affected by tackle zones for either person?)
Pass: Thrower makes a pass roll (affected by tackle zones) -1 per range increment, up to one guy in the middle makes an intercept roll, receiver makes a catch roll (affected by tackle zones)

Is a scatterpass versus a dropped one determined by whether the pass roll was a 1 or a 2+ but not successful?

You're correct on all counts, except when you do a handoff the catch roll is only affected by tackle zones on the receiver. The person handing off the ball has no impact on the roll at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Bruceski posted:

Pretty much yeah. That's why Nerves of Steel is awesome, since you ignore all tackle zones for those kinda rolls.

• Locked thread