Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Midnight Raider posted:

The Most Anime Lord English, wasn't that done by or was at least inspired by the guy who had the Mary Sue rival to him in the Felt fan adventure? Professor something or other.
That was the guy who donated money to Hussie way back in Problem Sleuth to get the Midnight Crew in the comic in the first place, right? As in he was the guy who originally created the Midnight Crew, and apparently used them in some tabletop role playing game beforehand.

And the Felt fan adventure that was actually semi-canon, as he was getting details from Hussie to even make it. I recall something about it being canon in the sense that it was just rough draft info, similar to the information Hussie puts on formspring and such.

And then Homestuck fans ruined it by complaining about it, causing him to just stop. At least last I checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Kgummy posted:

That was the guy who donated money to Hussie way back in Problem Sleuth to get the Midnight Crew in the comic in the first place, right? As in he was the guy who originally created the Midnight Crew, and apparently used them in some tabletop role playing game beforehand.

And the Felt fan adventure that was actually semi-canon, as he was getting details from Hussie to even make it. I recall something about it being canon in the sense that it was just rough draft info, similar to the information Hussie puts on formspring and such.

And then Homestuck fans ruined it by complaining about it, causing him to just stop. At least last I checked.

Actually from what I remember the 'real' Midnight Crew story was a horrible piece of self-insert bullshit, and Hussie continued to use his design for the Crew just to piss the guy off :v:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The original Midnight Crew thing was some homebrewed D&D crime syndicate based on the Plane of Shadow and the guy had a campaign in which the players were part of that syndicate. There were more than four people in the MC. I don't know if the card suit theme came from Hussie or from Mayonaka, but it is pretty normal that Hussie would change them enough to make them his characters after all.

I don't remember anything about Hussie doing anything specifically to piss Mayo off. It doesn't fit with the rest of the story (giving the guy enough information not to contradict future canon too much, putting the pendant design in a couple place as an easter egg/possible future plot point, etc.).

What did happen was that he claimed the story was at least semi-canon because he had chatted with Hussie about it (though Hussie himself never made any public comment on that point), and was hounded about it by the forum regulars. Things got especially pear-shaped when he introduced Dr. Brinner as a mad scientist in the Felt's employ, which offended greatly the forumites. Then he started requesting that the forum staff removes all the pointless discussion on canonicity from his thread, which they refused to do, and so he stomped off to his room in a huff.

Basically, a textbook example of deplorably pointless Internet drama.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

Actually from what I remember the 'real' Midnight Crew story was a horrible piece of self-insert bullshit, and Hussie continued to use his design for the Crew just to piss the guy off :v:

Nah, insert-Mayonaka never really did poo poo. Probably less than insert-hussie.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Tunicate posted:

Nah, insert-Mayonaka never really did poo poo. Probably less than insert-hussie.

He never appeared in the fan adventure.

E: unless that's yet another Mayonaka. Maan

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012

Tunicate posted:

I haven't read the thing since he first put it up, but didn't Mayonaka put a hole in the moon or something? I remember the characters at least talking him up a lot.

Anyway, I think Hussie really did give the guy as much information on the Felt as he'd written at the time, because he at least got LE's eyes right.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Note to Self posted:

Anyway, I think Hussie really did give the guy as much information on the Felt as he'd written at the time, because he at least got LE's eyes right.

I think it was just time powers for matchsticks and... whatever that other guy was who we didn't see the powers for... coin guy (which never got shown before the fanventure ended). And English's eyes.

Really a mountain/molehill situation.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 11, 2013

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So people in this thread have been posting that Caliborn might not actually turn out to be Lord English for quite some time. I was thinking about this this morning -- the idea as posted so far seems to rely on English looking a lot like a grown-up Caliborn out of coincidence or happenstance or whatever. My question: was it ever explicitly stated that the giant-Caliborn-looking Incredible Hulk cherub guy who's been double-killing all those ghosts is actually Lord English, or is it possible that Lord English actually looks completely different and we were all just assuming that was him because of the overcoat and the eyes? Ever since somebody pointed out that Super-Saiyan Jake's giant green text bears an uncanny resemblance to Lord English's dialogue with post-scratch Damara I've been getting suspicious of him.

The other possibilities are that (a) the font similarity is a coincidence, or (b) rather than Lord English, Damara ran afoul of a very angry Jake upon escaping from Doc Scratch. Considering that this is Homestuck I'm not sure which of those explanations is most likely.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

loquacius posted:

So people in this thread have been posting that Caliborn might not actually turn out to be Lord English for quite some time. I was thinking about this this morning -- the idea as posted so far seems to rely on English looking a lot like a grown-up Caliborn out of coincidence or happenstance or whatever. My question: was it ever explicitly stated that the giant-Caliborn-looking Incredible Hulk cherub guy who's been double-killing all those ghosts is actually Lord English, or is it possible that Lord English actually looks completely different and we were all just assuming that was him because of the overcoat and the eyes? Ever since somebody pointed out that Super-Saiyan Jake's giant green text bears an uncanny resemblance to Lord English's dialogue with post-scratch Damara I've been getting suspicious of him.

The other possibilities are that (a) the font similarity is a coincidence, or (b) rather than Lord English, Damara ran afoul of a very angry Jake upon escaping from Doc Scratch. Considering that this is Homestuck I'm not sure which of those explanations is most likely.

Uh well the big green guy did happen to pop out of Doc Scratch's head. And unless Doc Scratch had some completely unrelated dude hanging out up there...

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Seoinin posted:

Uh well the big green guy did happen to pop out of Doc Scratch's head. And unless Doc Scratch had some completely unrelated dude hanging out up there...

Hm. Yeah that's a good point. I don't think he ever referred to him by name, though (always just "my employer" unless I'm forgetting something), and it's always possible he could have been deceived.

e: After thinking about it some more, the theory I'm running with for now is that Jake is going to end up working with/for Lord English in some way, and I'm still leaning toward LE and Caliborn being the same person. They have some affinity for each other, and Jake really hates the Condesce and has every reason to feel alienated by his friends (apart from Roxy).

loquacius fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 11, 2013

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just think there are two Lord Englishes.

There's the one who is progressing through Paradox Space in an orderly fashion, gaming the system and being all sanctioned and stuff, and then there's the rear end in a top hat who is murdering the Ghosts and wrecking poo poo.

Might be Muse.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Fluffalina posted:

I love how every time Jake yells in green, Jane replies with an expression that's almost as corny and old-fashioned.

A thought: mind controlled Jane has made a big deal about how cold and logical she is. Maybe the key to snapping her out of it is to get her sufficiently angry. (With a repeat of the computer stomping)

Just how mad would she get if Jake kept doing this, finishing by stealing her phase: 'Shucks, buster'?

Fluffalina
Jul 10, 2002

CuteSweetHotSexy AngelBitchPunkSlut

Bobulus posted:

A thought: mind controlled Jane has made a big deal about how cold and logical she is. Maybe the key to snapping her out of it is to get her sufficiently angry. (With a repeat of the computer stomping)

Just how mad would she get if Jake kept doing this, finishing by stealing her phase: 'Shucks, buster'?

Right, and her computer right now is the tiaratop - that would solve the mind-control problem!

I really hope he says 'Shucks, buster' at some point.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

loquacius posted:

Hm. Yeah that's a good point. I don't think he ever referred to him by name, though (always just "my employer" unless I'm forgetting something), and it's always possible he could have been deceived.

You are; I don't know the page, but when he talked to Rose, she asked what his employer's name was, to which he said something along the lines of "I can't say/don't know his name, but he chooses to go by Lord English".

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Ablative posted:

No she can't. She was still on Derse.

It looks like she's with Jake and the Crockergoons. Which means she should be right above LOFAF with them.

EDIT: Dag nabit I didn't realize there was another page after that post.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I like to imagine that Jake's screams are in the Japanese DBZ voice-actor style, loud and high pitched and totally unlike his normal voice.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

frozentreasure posted:

You are; I don't know the page, but when he talked to Rose, she asked what his employer's name was, to which he said something along the lines of "I can't say/don't know his name, but he chooses to go by Lord English".
On this page:

quote:

TT: Who is he?
I won't tell you his name.
But he goes by the title, Lord English.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Caliborn controlled Jack is gonna rip Jake's eyes out, stick his flashing pool ball eyes in, Jake's head peels like a banana and he gets SWOLE. Boom, you get a crazy rear end plot twist, Aranea is crushed by hubris as all Serkets are, tumblr commits mass suicide, and the name Lord English makes sense while still keeping Caliborn in play.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Hhhhhhhhhhuh.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

So uh, in the most baffling step yet in the saga of Homestuck, the MSPA forums got hacked by a group called >>>SeCuR!TY L!ONS H4CK3RS T34M<<< with a bunch of pro-al-Assad messages warning America not to attack Syria.

Just, just go look.

EDIT: f,b

but seriously, go look, that image alone doesn't convey how insane it is. There's catchy autoplay music.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't even know how to react to this. Just what.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The actual forums are...still there.

Just really fuzzy?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

nerdbot posted:

So uh, in the most baffling step yet in the saga of Homestuck, the MSPA forums got hacked by a group called >>>SeCuR!TY L!ONS H4CK3RS T34M<<< with a bunch of pro-al-Assad messages warning America not to attack Syria.

Just, just go look.

EDIT: f,b

but seriously, go look, that image alone doesn't convey how insane it is. There's catchy autoplay music.

Please don't tell people to visit a hacked page. At the very least tell them to make sure no script is blocking everything from MSPAF.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

John's continuity breaking powers are getting weird as hell.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Homestuck may have finally got too meta for me.

Joking aside, what the gently caress?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm not gonna advise going to a hacked webpage without wrapping your computer up in bubble wrap first, but it's a hell of a scene. Picture kinda doesn't do it justice.

Gotta wonder why they picked the loving MSPA forums of all websites. I mean, MSPA is a pretty popular site, I guess? But why the forums.

I guess I should just be glad the main page didn't get hacked. :v:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

VJeff posted:

Gotta wonder why they picked the loving MSPA forums of all websites. I mean, MSPA is a pretty popular site, I guess? But why the forums.

Forums are often implemented using stock software with known vulnerabilities.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

VJeff posted:

I guess I should just be glad the main page didn't get hacked. :v:

I know virtually nothing about hacking, but I think message boards are particularly vulnerable because:

1) most of them run on the same software, meaning that known exploits can be used
2) It's a pain in the rear end to patch forums and requires taking them down, so they don't get updated often, leaving vulnerabilities around longer

whereas the mspa page itself is probably a huge pile of cobbled-together custom code.

edit: refresh before posting. :P

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Bobulus posted:

I know virtually nothing about hacking, but I think message boards are particularly vulnerable because:

1) most of them run on the same software, meaning that known exploits can be used
2) It's a pain in the rear end to patch forums and requires taking them down, so they don't get updated often, leaving vulnerabilities around longer

whereas the mspa page itself is probably a huge pile of cobbled-together custom code.

edit: refresh before posting. :P

Yeah, the bigger question isn't "Why the forums?" but "Why the MSPA forums?"

What an odd target

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Honestly? If I were a script-kiddy, here's how I'd do it: Get a list of exploits. Let's say there's a good one in vbulletin version 4.1.3, which is a few months old. So do a google search for vbulletin AND 4.1.3, and the top hits will be both higher profile and easy to exploint. Bingo bango, move on to the next target.

MSPAForums probably got hit because they've got a decent google rank, among forums.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Additionally, you guys re assuming that the MSPA forums are the only site hit. More than likely it's the only one out of several dozen that you've noticed.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA_XlDdchIE&hd=1

The funky music without having to visit a site that might infect your computer

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012

Tunicate posted:

I think it was just time powers for matchsticks and... whatever that other guy was who we didn't see the powers for... coin guy (which never got shown before the fanventure ended). And English's eyes.

Really a mountain/molehill situation.

Not even that much. While the adventure didn't last long enough to show them off, his Matchsticks and Quarters had completely different powers from the ones they ended up having in the comic, and from the way he drew Matchsticks' torso, Hussie didn't even give him full-body sprites to reference.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Ahaha that music is hilarious

...Okay so how do I know if my computer got infected from that.

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 12, 2013

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

CuddlyZombie posted:

Ahaha that music is hilarious

...Okay so how do I know if my computer got infected from that.

If you wake up in Syria it probably got you

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

The only way to be safe is to use the anti-virus sledgehammer hardware.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Well, now that they've hacked Homestuck I guess the United States is doomed. Pack up and flee the country before they target our Cucumber Quests and our Gunshows.

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?
Now that they have the Homestuck, World War 3 is imminent.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It isn't a Homestuck-related computer virus unless it actually blows up your computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Thundarr posted:

It isn't a Homestuck-related computer virus unless it actually blows up your computer.

It isn't a Homestuck-related computer virus unless it unleashes a time-traveling demon at the death of the universe. :colbert: